• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best gaming headphones right now?

ViciousDS

Banned
I'm going to order the 840s this week. Can you give me some in depth impressions? PM me if necessary. Things like sound quality, noise cancelling, build quality, battery life, range, every day use, mic quality. As in depth as possible.

Yes, its uncomfortable and made for tiny heads. The plastic feels like its going to break every time i put them on and squeezes the shit out of my head. Mic is ok, sound is solid......but I went and got a Arctis 7 for half the cost for better support, more comfortability and i Believe to be better sound.

As for the OP

If $150 is your limit

Get these.....please spend the extra $16

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GWU8FTK/?tag=neogaf0e-20

you will be happy.

Get the Zeros if you need closed backs, but the acoustic of the Game Ones are fantastic.

CryptiK

If its a gaming brand its almost always garbage. You want Audio Technica, Sennheiser, Hyper X Cloud II. Anything else gaming forget it.

I just bout the Astro A50's! Best headset I've ever owned! http://www.astrogaming.com

Siberia 800 by mile than any other headset, but you will need to drop good money on it.

Its something i also use after heavy testing of various sets.

https://steelseries.com/gaming-headsets/siberia-800
siberia-800-transmitter.png__952x800_q85_crop-scale_optimize_subsampling-2.png

Loving my Logitech G933, the bass is great.

I use a pair of Razer Kraken wired headphones with my PS4 and they sound great.

Logitech g930s, good sound, good mic, wireless, and you get their really good customer service.

OP did specify he's not looking for the best possible audio, but best headphones for gaming.

All Garbage.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
One more recommendation for Ath-m50x. I initially balked at the price considering I break headphones a lot but these are sturdy and come with extra cables.

i see these recommended a lot and have been considering them. right now i'm using cheap £10 sony headphones plugged into my case front panel. i have been considering buying a soundcard so would that be enough to power the audio technica headphones or is there something else i should buy? i see people mention headphone amplifiers.

i'm not sure if my motherboard could power these headphones and i don't feel it's right to spend £125 on these headphones and plug them into my motherboard.

Makikou

i see these recommended a lot and have been considering them. right now i'm using cheap £10 sony headphones plugged into my case front panel. i have been considering buying a soundcard so would that be enough to power the audio technica headphones or is there something else i should buy? i see people mention headphone amplifiers.

i'm not sure if my motherboard could power these headphones and i don't feel it's right to spend £125 on these headphones and plug them into my motherboard.

You'd probably be fine, I used to run my ATH-M50S from my mobo's card until I got a Xonar DGX. Nowadays i'd probably go for a Xonar U7 MK2 or Magni Schiit 2 headphone amp.

TheExodu5

Banned
I own audiophile headphones (e.g. AKG K701), but actually prefer my HyperX Cloud for gaming.

Supremely comfortable, with a fairly large soundstage, and a tonal balance that is well suites for gaming. You won't be disappointed with them.

Hyper X Cloud or any of the Sennheiser gaming headsets. The newish Logitech gaming headsets are pretty good as well.

That's only if you are dead set on getting a headset though. I agree with everyone else on the headphones being generally better. Of note, the Sennheiser PC363 headset is better than almost any pair of headphones I've had for gaming. Only beaten out by a few of my AKG headphones.

If its a gaming brand its almost always garbage. You want Audio Technica, Sennheiser, Hyper X Cloud II. Anything else gaming forget it.

All Garbage.

Wow, you really couldn't be more wrong if you tried.

I am going to go ahead and nip this one right in the bud about need of purchasing high-end standalone headphones as the ONLY solution for playing video games. While that argument is not wrong, its just...one denominational where an audio purist trying to justify their purchase VS poor quality "gaming" headsets.

I can call grounds of speaking from some experience as someone who has dubbled in to audiophile grade sound in terms of both large audio and headphones. My audio collections includes healthy array of sets from various brands including DT990 from mid range to high end of Audeze 2.

Some of my pics to make a point (shameless self promotion):

17309652_10158325174570032_3087025992274361735_n.jpg

17309659_10158325174335032_4652114094101519493_n.jpg

17309139_10158358300130032_6095781702743257542_n.jpg

17390605_10158358294575032_4242138289573836404_o.jpg

I clearly need help (old pics):

Now you ask a question: Is it posible to have "Good" gaming headset that sounds great, has good mic and comes with good fucntionality?

Answer: Yes.

But it comes at a price tag, as result you have to go down the more price-heavy territory of headphones, that shares it with before mentioned brands of mid-to-high end headphones. So arguments becomes more mute.

Having access to variety of sets, i prefer to use my Siberia 800 for gaming exclusively. It has ridiculously good sound stage for a gaming headset, but that fact becomes even more insane that they are CLOSED headset, so it always amazes me how well it handles that front.

If you are a bass-head (trust me, i love me some skull shaking every now-and-then), than this headset is not for you, as its designed to be light on that front for clarity of sounds. Id say its treble is pretty high, but when it comes to gaming that might be a good thing as you need to hear every sound, every step and every shot.

Beauty of Siberia 800's & 840's , that it comes with two batteries and charge dock built in to receiver. So you can charge one battery while using other. On subject of battery life: it lasts easily 12-16 hours for me and i can go for days before i swap battery.

As long as you keep mic not-retracted, its quality is real good, and noise cancellation is decent. Its just a supper convinient set that is easy to use, no BS with wires or set up. Its just works.

Review:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ho0JmaLiOYo

Great post. Well said. Siberia 800 is my favorite gaming headset on the market.

ValeYard

I own audiophile headphones (e.g. AKG K701), but actually prefer my HyperX Cloud for gaming.

Supremely comfortable, with a fairly large soundstage, and a tonal balance that is well suites for gaming. You won't be disappointed with them.

I just wanted to second this. I have HyperX Cloud's too and find them to suit my non-audiophile needs. They sound much better than Sony, Turtle Beach or Astro gaming headsets IMO. For streamers though, the Astro mixamp with software is pretty convenient. But after buying a30s whose mic broke two days after warranty due to terrible wiring, I'm never dropping money on a gaming headset and especially not astros again.

Mad1723

Sennheiser HD598
Massdrop's PC37x

Forget garbage "Gaming" headset and get a good pair of headphone, you won't regret it.

CryptiK

Wow, you really couldn't be more wrong if you tried.

Great post. Well said. Siberia 800 is my favorite gaming headset on the market.
I'm not. You can get the quality of a gaming headset in a normal headset at half the price. If you spend 100+ on a gaming headset, you can get a non gaming branded one that has better drivers and a better sound stage for the same price. For example the AT AD700-900 or 700x-900x would wipe the flaw with anything "gaming headset" at the same price point.

That Siberia headset is $320. You could get so much better for less.

I'm not. You can get the quality of a gaming headset in a normal headset at half the price. If you spend 100+ on a gaming headset, you can get a non gaming branded one that has better drivers and a better sound stage for the same price. For example the AT AD700-900 or 700x-900x would wipe the flaw with anything "gaming headset" at the same price point.

That Siberia headset is $320. You could get so much better for less.

Lol what? The Siberia 800 can be found regularly for under $200. And you don't have to worry about pinning some stupid lapel on your shirt or using a desk mic or clip on mic.

CryptiK

Lol what? The Siberia 800 can be found regularly for under $200. And you don't have to worry about pinning some stupid lapel on your shirt or using a desk mic or clip on mic.
Where I live they are 400+. Even at $200 you can get better for less. As for clip on mics etc you'll get better quality in those as well.

Leyasu

Banned
I have audio technica ath adg1s.

They are a gaming headset, and cost $300, but they are nice and are open backed. No doubt that you can get better without the mic headphones for the same price.

I just wish that someone would make a mixamp that is capable of driving high ohms headset. The astro on although ok, is not that spectacular.

Word of caution, chasing quality in headphones is a slippery slope. Before you know it, you have dropped a grand on three or four different pairs.

NewDust

Does anybody have any experience with the new Teufel Cage? I do like the Sound profile of their Aureol Massive, though it's a bit base heavy. Also have the amove Pro which I very much like. I'd try the Cage out myself, but I believe they are closed, and I don't need another set of closed headphones, and definitely not for gaming... But then again, if they are good...

Hazaku

I didn't know that was wireless. Will check it out. I've heard good things about it but have also heard to avoid Astro so I wasn't sure if it was worth it.

Keep in mind their wireless 5.8 mixamp is discontinued though. But you'll be able to find refurbs/used units on eBay.

LogicStep

I have Astro a40 and they work great and sound great. I have no experience with actual audiophile headphones so maybe i would think these suck if I heard what good headphones sound like.

What's the difference between the closed and open? Why are open recommended?

I'd get good headphones if it meant it would be easier for me to hear where footsteps are coming from in games, especially pubg.

Edit:

Also, my Mobo does optical out. Is that good or would getting a sound card be better?

Leyasu

Banned
How constructive. Why not give good alternatives instead? What's the best setup to get for $300 which has wireless headphones/mic, and support for multiple simultaneous audio sources?

I would go wired in all honesty.

For 300, if you want a headset and not worry about a separate mic. Then look at the sennheiser headsets with an astro mixamp. I rocked that set up for quite a while.

CryptiK

How constructive. Why not give good alternatives instead? What's the best setup to get for $300 which has wireless headphones/mic, and support for multiple simultaneous audio sources?
Well if you actually res the post rather than the bottom line you will see I recommended brands.

drotahorror

Yes, its uncomfortable and made for tiny heads. The plastic feels like its going to break every time i put them on and squeezes the shit out of my head. Mic is ok, sound is solid......but I went and got a Arctis 7 for half the cost for better support, more comfortability and i Believe to be better sound.

I bought a pair of Arctis 7's last month and hated them. They sounded bad compared to what I was using and my friend's told me the mic was ok, but still worse than what I was using. I returned them. I should have done more research anyway. I was looking for open-back wireless headphones. They just don't really exist. I think Astro makes a pair but I heard they're shit.

I'm using this headset https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ENMK1DW/?tag=neogaf0e-20
http://www.rtings.com/headphones/reviews/philips/shp9500-hifi-precision-stereo
http://www.rtings.com/headphones/reviews/best/by-price/under-100
with this mic https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BJ17WKK/?tag=neogaf0e-20

The headphones are probably some of the best you can get for the price.
Well if you actually res the post rather than the bottom line you will see I recommended brands.

Which one of those brands have wireless headsets with mics?

Karak

Luckily I get to test many of these for reviews. And I have to say. I am still just shaking my head at the Hyper cloud x's. God damn those things are comfy and just work great. I can't say I ever expected t say that.

For me though something from Sen. I think their sound is just excellent and in that price point you probably wont go wrong but bare in mind that they do have the occasional uncomfortable bit of gear.

Audio Technica has some good stuff and some complete trash. So I just tell folks for ALL headphones make sure you get them from a place you can return them.

Also if you get something without a mic you could go with various solutions like modmic. I don't love their business tactics and paid promotions everywhere. But they do...just work for the most part.

Ducayne

In the market for new headphones as well but thinking about waiting for the new Turtlebeach 700s that launch in Sept. anyone get to try them at E3?

TheExodu5

Banned
Most audiophiles are incredibly closed minded and refuse to believe anything that counters pre-existing beliefs.

Varvor is of a rare breed. It's rare for someone to get in as deep as the Audeze LCD-2 and still even be willing to try a gaming headset after that. Kudos.

As a former audiophile and long time PC gamer, there are a few key points that are more important in gaming headsets than regular headphones.

1) Comfort is key. Listening to an album on my K701 is fine, but much longer and my head starts to hurt due to the top band. Sennheisers exert far too much pressure. My Clouds on the other hand can be worn for hours on end without any discomfort.

2) Soundstage. You want a wide and enveloping sound stage with gaming headphones (steer clear from fake surround though, IMO). With music headphones, I tend to prefer a forward soundstage. Headphones that are well suited to music might not be as well suited to gaming for soundstage alone.

3) Closed vs Open. Most audiophile headphones are open, and most headphones with a big soundstage are open. If you go to any LANs or are in a loud household, closed headphones are very important. Most closed audiophile headphones have a fairly limited soundstage, while gaming headphones actually tend to excel in this area. If you were looking for closed audiophile headphones with a large soundstage, Ultrasones are incredible. Beyond that, I can't really recommend ATH-50 or DT 770 Pros that often get tossed around....terrible soundstage.

4) Convenience. A volume control and a microphone are very nice to have built right into the hardware. I can't stand using that shitty Zalman clip on mic everyone loves. Also, if you're looking for mic quality, a headset is your only choice (though I'd steer clear from the Cloud if the mic is a concern since it's quality is awful).

Se_7_eN

Any opinions on this set of headphones?

Probably definitely not full audiophile but it was suggested in the PC building thread and the price is just right.

I strongly recommend those headphones...

I have a pair of the ATH-A700's that I use for PC gaming, I have attached a mic to the cord with tiny zip ties and it is amazing. The sound quality of the ATH-700's is incredible, the perfect amount of bass and Adjustable depths.

Really great pair of headphones, far better than any "Gaming" set you will get and great for music and movies too.

ViciousDS

Banned
In the market for new headphones as well but thinking about waiting for the new Turtlebeach 700s that launch in Sept. anyone get to try them at E3?

you already failed at looking at headsets if turtle beach is your option.

Sennheiser has the best actual headset since they use the same drivers in their game ones as they do in their HD series.

But the overall best option period is audiophile headphones and a modmic

TheExodu5

Banned
Same drivers doesn't equal same sound. The PC350 and PC360 sound nothing alike, and even though they have the HD598 drivers they sound nothing like that either.

I had to equalize the PC360 to make it bearable. The low end was so insanely bloated.

Lister

Banned
I'll second the Sennheiser One's. Great open back design for a wide soundstage and great sound quality. The built in headset is convinient.

Ignore people who tlel you not to use "fake surround sound". It's called HRTF or virtual surround, and coupled with full 3D sound from a game that does that, it's amazing.

What you DON'T want to buy is one of those horrible headsets with multiple drivers in each cup. Assumign they still even make those.

you already failed at looking at headsets if turtle beach is your option.

Sennheiser has the best actual headset since they use the same drivers in their game ones as they do in their HD series.

But the overall best option period is audiophile headphones and a modmic

Not sure I'd put modmic's above the Boompro. Simplicity, low-priced, and high quality. Definitely right about using real headphones though. I kinda feel bad for people that fall for the Astro hype and then spend 200+ dollars on a garbage pair of headphones.

ViciousDS

Banned
Not sure I'd put modmic's above the Boompro. Simplicity, low-priced, and high quality. Definitely right about using real headphones though. I kinda feel bad for people that fall for the Astro hype and then spend 200+ dollars on a garbage pair of headphones.

Yes, the only reason i use an arctis 7 is because of the split driver support

It has two channels for sound....one for game and the other for communication just plugging it into a computer. allows for easy sliding of volume balance for a cheap price. Plus great battery and wireless.

Otherwise i would really, rather use a nice pair of headphones and an attachable mic.

I just know of modmic.....I really don't know the whole marketplace on boompro's, modmic, etc.

But yes, turtle beach and astros are insanely overpriced for what you get.

Duxxy3

I'm confused. You want the best, but don't want to spend more than $150?

For under $150... Sennheiser HD 598. Better for gaming that my HD600. Better than any "gaming" headset.

Another vote for the Hyper X Cloud - feel like a £200 pair when unboxing and the quality is great all round.

I have the Golds on the PS4 - they sound okay, but fell apart in the first month - I still have to clip bits back on. I tried the platinums on PS4, but they have a design fault which gives a buzz in one ear, so they had to go back.

drotahorror

I know one person with the Cloud X gaming headset. I can't comment on the sound quality but I can comment on it's mic. While I can hear my buddy fine, it's also insanely sensitive. I hear him typing (rubber dome keyboard, not even mechanical), I hear his wife in the background, I hear her TV in the background, I hear every little thing that's going on in his house. We've tried everything in the discord options to make it better, but it's so sensitive but nothing really affects the amount of background noise that thing puts out.

Those aren't really an option, they've been phased out. That's why I went with a different set of Philips headset, the SHP9500 and a boompro.

But from now on, if I ever need a replacement, I'll always go for a headphone that has a detachable cord so I can hook in a boompro.

BiggNife

There is no best, but a good pair of open stereo headphones is where you should start. Despite headsets being a popular choice for gaming, and will likely be recommended in this very thread, avoid them at all costs.

Man what a load of hyperbole

The HyperX Clouds are totally fine for the average gamer. Unless you're truly an audiophile you don't really need to get anything better than that. Plus, the Cloud II works with PC, PS4s, and phones, which is super convenient.

molnizzle

There is no best, but a good pair of open stereo headphones is where you should start. Despite headsets being a popular choice for gaming, and will likely be recommended in this very thread, avoid them at all costs.

Such a garbage opinion that I'm sick and tired of seeing parroted on GAF.

That setup only makes sense for PC gaming. For consoles it's pointless because the audio quality from the controller ports is severely compressed compared to what you get from a dedicated amp on PC. You end up with these fancy ass headphones that aren't giving you better quality than a dedicated headset. You just get to mess with a bigger tangle of wires. Yay!

For consoles, get a fucking headset. They make good ones. Find the one that works best for your platform and buy it.

Arulan

Man what a load of hyperbole

The HyperX Clouds are totally fine for the average gamer. Unless you're truly an audiophile you don't really need to get anything better than that.

Yes, there are a few acceptable headsets that are based on existing headphones. Even then, the vast majority are closed headphones, which isn't ideal. Additionally, the minor convenience of having the mic already attached is paid at a premium. You're simply not getting your money's worth in audio quality, both in terms of the headphones themselves and the mic.

Such a garbage opinion that I'm sick and tired of seeing parroted on GAF.

That setup only makes sense for PC gaming. For consoles it's pointless because the audio quality from the controller ports is severely compressed compared to what you get from a dedicated amp on PC. You end up with these fancy ass headphones that aren't giving you better quality than a dedicated headset. You just get to mess with a bigger tangle of wires. Yay!

For consoles, get a fucking headset. They make good ones. Find the one that works best for your platform and buy it.

If only consoles could output audio through other means than a wireless 3.5mm output...

I seem to have bad luck with headphones. Had the Fidelio X2 and HD 598 but I found both of them uncomfortable to wear for longer than an hour. I just want something comfortable at this point.

Quite liking my Steelseries Arctis 7. The wireless range is fine for my apartment, and the microphone seems alright.

tyEqXOE.jpg

I use it almost exclusively to play online games on though, and it's true you pay quite a bit of money, just for the gamerXxX shit. Don't want to be using these (or the hyperx cloud i used before) for music really. But I don't really mind, it's just a convenient way of doing it, without either attaching a microphone to my headphones, or having a desk microphone which I don't feel like, as my desktop is already pretty crowded.e If I want audio quality I put on my speakers or Denon AH-MM400.

molnizzle

If only consoles could output audio through other means than a wireless 3.5mm output...

And which audiophile headphones do that wirelessly? Or are you advocating a Nintendo-style setup with a 3m cable going from your console's optical-out port (assuming your console even has one - the PS4 slim and Nintendo Switch don't) with an additional 3.5 cable connecting the microphone clipped to your shirt to the controller's 3.5mm jack? So elegant.

It's a ridiculous "solution" for console gaming. Not everyone plays games while sitting at a damn desk. Get a good wireless headset that's made for multiplatform gaming and you'll be much better off.

Also, "open" style headphones are definitely not ideal unless you live by yourself in a basement. Half the point of wearing headphones is to not disturb the others around you.

For anyone considering the Hyperx Clouds for use plugged into the Dualshock 4, I'd suggest you don't do it. They're 60ohm headphones not designed to be used on portable devices. What that'll mean for you is that the top volume is very low. Hyperx has since started making their new headphones at 30 ohms or less. The Hyperx Stingers (50 dollars) sound great and have a much larger volume range plugged into the controller. The convenience of a mic that pulls down to talk and pushes back up to mute is really nice on console. It also has a volume slider.

There's so many great options really a little hard to navigate because of just how many choices there are.

If there was a list of stuff to avoid at certain price ranges that might even be more helpful.

I'm still using my Pulse PS3 headset I got 50 bucks off when I got TLOU PS3 lol and it is still working to this day, quite happy with it but I'm sure there's better stuff, I just got a stereo system to connect to my laptop though that's way better audio overall.

Top Bottom