• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best Looking Trees In Gaming

Sturm

Banned
Trine 2 has some of the most esthetic beautifully trees. The whole atmosphere and level of detail at some levels in the wood, just wow.

cIv01a.jpg
Wow still can't believe how good the first uncharted still looks!

lol

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
The night elf starting area in world of warcraft is most epic tree based level ever. Dude. I remember the first night I spent under those trees.
Darnasus/Teldrasil are beautiful maps

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
Final Fantasy IX's Iifa Tree was an eerie twist on the big ol' magical tree trope in JRPGs:

image6000_202.jpg

And I was always fond of Link to the Past's mushroomy ones:

problemscx7.png

I was just about to ask the same question. I played through 3 and don't remember if looking that good? I it has been a while though....

There's a good reason why that screenshot keeps getting posted over and over again.

I'm not saying it isn't in-game but it's just an overly flattering screenshot and not a good representation of how UC3 looked at all. Funny though seeing people compare UC to Ryse graphicswise.

NeoGash

Call of Juarez Gunslinger (the trees were good), basically any Crysis, Alan Wake, and obviously Uncharted 3 as above, although I played it recently and don't remember it looking that good. I guess you'd have to stand really close to notice, but I thought the lighting was what set that part of the game apart from the rest. Ever since I saw Crysis on ultra with mods, nothing really impresses me anymore. Games like Halo 4 and Uncharted 2 looked fine until they went into the jungle, and that is when I had a means for comparison....they looked hideous.

Juarez gets away because of its art style, and Alan wake is mostly during the night...although the day time sections were good also I guess (just not interiors).

Trees and foliage in games are almost always ugly. When those games that are supposed to have super awesome graphics have terrible looking foliage, it is an absolute eye sore. I'd only really rate the Crysis games TBH.

Keihart

I love the cherry trees in killzone shadow fall.
I'm not on my house at the moment so i can't take SS.

Also, yeah..uncharted 3 chateau looked pretty awesome, those trees are pretty.

I think that Uncharted shot is a bullshot. IQ seems too good, resolution too high etc. I'm not an "expert" though, so kudos if it really does look like that in game!

Kokonoe

Banned
The perspective makes them look weird (it's top down but you can see the stumps).

It's best done that way if you aren't going third person. I want to see the full tree, top down view seeing only the top side sucks. A Link to the Past does this too.

farisr

I've played all the uncharted games and I don't remember it looking like this.

It's because you were actually playing it, it's easy to forget how parts of it look when right when you turn the camera you have a low res texture in your face or you see a flat bunch of leaves. If the game was at that quality at all times, it would put current gen titles to shame

terrisus

Chrono Trigger

Chrono%2BTrigger%2B%2528Retranslation%25291155.jpg

Man, any time I look at anything from Chrono Trigger, it makes me want to play through it yet again.

qq more

I was always a huge fan of the level art direction in the 16-bit Sonic games. So there's that with Green Hill Zone as an example!

EDIT: Oh wait there's Sudowoodo... close enough!

O0czxUU.png

nib95

Banned
I should replay UC3, go to this part and see if I can get a direct feed of this same spot.

The shot in question is a direct feed... Forgot the name of the guy who posted them, but he posted a bunch at the Gamespot forums.

Anyway, Killzone Shadow Fall and Crysis come to mind.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
The shot in question is a direct feed... Forgot the name of the guy who posted them, but he posted a bunch at the Gamespot forums.

That aliasing is just too good I refuse to believe it.

The Cowboy

It really is amazing what ND did with the PS3, I really can't wait to see the full Amazon rain forest down to the last leaf in UC4 on PS4.

inky

Alan Wake is great. Pretty accurate vegetation to the region (afaik) and the forest, especially at night- becomes a character in itself.

Very few particular trees stand out, but as a whole they add so much to the game.

alanwake2012-02-1718-0kj0a.png

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Don't be purposely vague; it's fucking annoying. What game is this?

PROTEUS!!!!!!!
And yes, its amazing and you should go buy it right now. On Steam and was later ported to the Playstation family of platforms.

Jawdropping, inspiring game. Tune out and experience it.

Timu

Anyway, Killzone Shadow Fall and Crysis come to mind.
Yeah I remember that.=p

That aliasing is just too good I refuse to believe it.
It has MLAA and it seems to be in great use with that screen.

Top Bottom