• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best Looking Trees In Gaming

DocSeuss

Came in to post Crysis. No reason to.

I've always been partial to STALKER's, not because they're... like, high-fidelity or anything, but because of how twisted, alien, and strange they are.

Really kinda freaked out by people who think Uncharted's trees look good. What are you smoking? Seriously. You have a middling normal map. That's it. How is... in what UNIVERSE is that even a good-looking tree?

I've always been partial to STALKER's, not because they're... like, high-fidelity or anything, but because of how twisted, alien, and strange they are.

Really kinda freaked out by people who think Uncharted's trees look good. What are you smoking? Seriously. You have a middling normal map. That's it. How is... in what UNIVERSE is that even a good-looking tree?

Uncharted tree doesn't look good? Okay, post a better looking one!

Saying it doesn't impress you is one thing, saying it doesn't even look good is quite another. You're going to have a hard time finding people who agree with you.

I like STALKER's vegetation as well. The Zone is such an enticingly miserable place.

MaLDo

3WONDERS--Three%20Wonders%20World%20910520_Sep29%2012_54_52.png

Eeoou!! Eeoou!!!

Because people freak out about uncharted graphics even though they are rather average within the spectrum of things.

Yes, it is literally just a normal map over an actually rather poly starved surface.

Metal B

Thought / Work: Are realistic videogame assets easy enough anyone can do it, no method or design, especially the very best ones? Don't know what's so special about these Naughty Dog guys then!

Meaning: A tree is a tree. You look at it, your brain recognizes it, you attribute the meaning of "tree" to it. Maybe "pretty tree" or "weird tree", but that's how it goes. There's your meaning.

And you can't think of a "stylists tree" that looks worse than an actual tree? Do you like kindergarten drawings better than walks in the woods? Much stylists.

There is a big different of the kind of enjoyment you get from a kindergarten drawing and a real life tree, since one is the interpretation of an human being and the other the wonder of nature. This is also the reason why a stylists tree will always be better in a art medium, then a realistic simulation of a tree, even if its horrible drawn.

With a stylists tree you always know that some artist somewhere thought about it and made a decision based of his artistic vision and his interpretation of the theme of the game, his life and other factors of his human nature. While by the realistic representation of a tree a person said down and tried to recreate nature in a strict science approach.

Art is the image of an human being and his interpretation of the world around him, that's why an stylists tree always has a little of the essence of a person in it. No matter if its a good or bad drawing and even if its only meant to be a tree.

This doesn't devalues the work, style or the need for realistic trees. Only if you try to directly compare both kind of styles, like in this thread, the "stylists tree" should always win, because in its very nature there is so much more art, personalty and humanity represented in it.

KKRT00

Because people freak out about uncharted graphics even though they are rather average within the spectrum of things.

Yes, it is literally just a normal map over an actually rather poly starved surface.

Its good from the artstyle point of view, like all ND textures, because they are hand painted, but yeah they arent even too high res.

omonimo

Banned
Ah the tech guys eletists never change... so just res or poly, seem to count to have an impressive tree in a game... the fuck going to this people. In any case, what ND has done until now on ps3 imho is damning astonishing for this hardware.

UnrealEck

Ah the tech guys eletists never change... so just res or poly, seem to count to have an impressive tree in a game... the fuck going to this people. In any case, what ND has done until now on ps3 imho is damning astonishing for this hardware.

When you consider the amount of times it has been quoted and people being astonished by it, it puts these "elitist" comments into perspective. I disagree with people saying it looks bad though.

KKRT00

It does look good, no one is denying that, but is it ultra impressive? Not at all.

This is turning into art vs graphics argument again... there should be another thread for most interactive trees in a game.

Always remember trying to shoot an enemy in Crysis but hit the tree behind him which then fell over and crushed him anyway ...good times!

It does look good, no one is denying that, but is it ultra impressive? Not at all.

On that hardware? Hell yes.
Granted, this thread isn't about "most impressive trees relative to the hardware rendering them", but I don't see how it's so outrageous for people to be impressed with the quality of the assets displayed in UC3 considering the ancient hardware it runs on.
I do a lot of my gaming on PC but I've been impressed tons of times by PS3 games because I put the achievements in those games into perspective.
I also think that when it comes to games with realistic environments ND's art direction and attention to detail are among the very best you can find.

cameron

Thank fuck someone else noticed that. It seems like a pole with a tree texture wrapped around it.

You can reduce any real time object as a 'texture slapped on some polygons'. It's a standard 3D game engine. What else are the objects supposed to be made of? Chocolate? I also found the 'poly starved' remark from the dude you quoted to be hilarious.

People are re-quoting the image because they think it looks damn good for a PS3 game. Instead of photo sourcing, ND hand paints all their environment textures. Combine that with some very clever shader tricks, and you get some very nice looking levels. The technical stuff isn't unique to ND; a lot of studios so the same thing. The art direction, however, is a totally different story. If you want to see an example of their workflow, here's a vid from pixologic's website: http://pixologic.com/zclassroom/homeroom/lesson/environments-with-tate-mosesian/

John Hable's UC2 Presentation:
http://www.cg.tuwien.ac.at/~ginko/Hable_John_Uncharted2_HDRLighting.pdf

UC2 GDC Presentation:
http://gdcvault.com/play/1012449/Uncharted-2-Art

KemoSabe

That ICO one looks nice.

Man all this tree talk makes me think of a certain Simpsons episode.
Foilage = foliage
Right marge...

Whether it looks good for the hardware has nothing to do with it. This thread is filled with great artistic trees from the GBA and SNES games that wont age. High res textures are not impressive. Much less if the pic in question doesn't even show the actual tree. It may as well be a boulder if it doesn't have leaves and branches.

Seanspeed

Banned
On that hardware? Hell yes.
Granted, this thread isn't about "most impressive trees relative to the hardware rendering them", but I don't see how it's so outrageous for people to be impressed with the quality of the assets displayed in UC3 considering the ancient hardware it runs on.
I do a lot of my gaming on PC but I've been impressed tons of times by PS3 games because I put the achievements in those games into perspective.
I also think that when it comes to games with realistic environments ND's art direction and attention to detail are among the very best you can find.
Definitely.

That UC3 tree shot looks incredible by any standard. I'm a big PC gamer and can still say that impresses me. I haven't played UC3, but I'm playing The Last of Us right now and the trees, while not quite that good looking, still have good bark textures like that. The foliage is far more hit and miss though, I'm not sure if its the same in UC3. The leaves in trees are pretty rudimentary flat textures that look awkwardly placed in star-like patterns to provide a decent looking tree from afar, but looks a bit ugly when seen up close and especially below. If that's anything like UC3, I couldn't give it the prestigious 'Best Tree' award, but shit, you'd be hard pressed to find a better looking texture than that UC3 bark in any last-gen game.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist

Thank fuck someone else noticed that. It seems like a pole with a tree texture wrapped around it.

Who cares?

This thread isn't "Most difficult to make looking trees for game developers."

It's "Best looking trees". It doesn't matter what their method was to reach the end goal. At the end it looks really great.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony

As much as people are freaking out, you're on the end of spectrum of downplaying things.

To me, those visuals simply show, that as usual, ND tech artists know probably better than anyone how to actually distribute resources in a way to create something that will impress people the most.

Top Bottom