• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best Ninja Games

KuroNeeko

Tenchu 参
Tenchu
Tenchu 紅

Tenchu 4 and Tenchu on the 360 are probably best left untalked about.

Mark of the Ninja.

I put 参 over the original because I don't think the latter has aged well at all. You had to have been there when it first came out--the cheesy dialogue, the dumbass AI, the relentless searching for grappling hook angles, and all-powerful poisoned rice ball...it' s just not the same now.

Kurenai was also awesome because of Rin and the new ninja skills it introduced.

Mark of the Ninja is the best, most ninja-est game since Tenchu.

Syril

They screwed with the AI in most enemies to be less aggressive in general, blue essence drops are increased, you can heal at any time so attacks that would have killed you outright in Black and be cheesed out of by spamming healing items, which are a lot easier to get because the BE drops increasing means you have a ton larger window for UTs and thus more money in general to buy supplies. If you're even halfway competent in your ninja gaidening you can break the economy and hit max money very early in the game this way.

Just an example on the enemy thing is that the Berserkers, the most feared enemy in NGB, are total cakewalks in Sigma because they no longer have any strikes that can break your block on first hit. This means that you can just spam counter on them endlessly and take them out without even a modicum of threat.
Ah, that's too bad. I'm still gonna play my copy of Sigma since I bought it a while back and all, but at least Black also has 360 compatibility and is sold as a download.

Wait, this game was any good? I always wrote it off as some bargain bin trash for some reason...I have no idea why actually, I don't even think I read a review back int he day?
It's actually pretty unique as an action game. Your sword gets more powerful temporarily when you kill enemies, so if you're fast enough, you can get a chain going where eventually enemies start dying in like two hits. If you have a long enough chain when you kill the last enemy in the fight it plays a cool scene where all of them fall down dead at the same time. The difficulty can get pretty up there but I think it's mainly from the levels having literally no checkpoints before the boss.

I'll second Super House of Dead Ninjas since so many bigger games have been covered. It's a cheap, fun, arcade-y action game.

Wasn't going to say "doesn't get much cheaper than free", but it seems that the free version was removed from AdultSwim's site (only the "non-Super" prototype version is available). Can't blame them, it's frankly too good a game to give for free.

Top Bottom