• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best of: Trader Joe's

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't really drink much, buut I wish my TJ's was allowed to sell wine (goddamn Utah state laws).
2012-12-08-18.04.23.jpg

I haven't tried the nacho flavor yet but the regular ones are great (apparently they released the nacho flavor before regular which seems odd). They're cheaper than most kale chips I've seen for sale lately and just as good.

it's ridiculous how hard they have been pushing it at my local store. I wonder if they made extra batches to catch the partially popped and packaged the regular popped as a result lol. I'll pick it up next time. Does it taste like olive oil or what?

It's pretty light-tasting. It's not heavy on the oil. They air pop it then flavor it a bit with salt and oil.

I also haven't seen this partially popped popcorn at all in my store, so I'm not sure what to say about that.

I haven't tried the nacho flavor yet but the regular ones are great (apparently they released the nacho flavor before regular which seems odd). They're cheaper than most kale chips I've seen for sale lately and just as good.

Yeah, I've been a fan of the zesty nacho ones since they came out. Haven't tried the regular ones yet, as they brought it in one week then seemingly wiped out of them completely.

i love getting their butter waffle cookies. i havent really tried getting a lot of the precooked meals but i did like the spinach paneer and the orange chicken ones

RevDM

Banned
It's pretty light-tasting. It's not heavy on the oil. They air pop it then flavor it a bit with salt and oil.

I also haven't seen this partially popped popcorn at all in my store, so I'm not sure what to say about that.

Yeah, I've been a fan of the zesty nacho ones since they came out. Haven't tried the regular ones yet, as they brought it in one week then seemingly wiped out of them completely.

It can be easy to miss because the bags are smaller than regular popcorn.

Davey Cakes

As a cat owner, I want to give a shout out to:

e1547b5f822b6d67dbf5ecf5e0515182.jpg

Still her favorite cat food. Heck, she might like it more than actual solid white albacore.

Miletius

RxgoA5A.jpg

These have been my go to snack for a while. Delicious, and pretty healthy for you too, as long as you eat in moderation.

ALERT
TJ's Cookie Butter is crap, as it is a pale imitation of:

ALERT
Lotus Biscoff Spread, preferably crunchy. It's widely available all over the place.

SECOND ALERT
TJ's Cookies and Cream butter, on the other hand, is unparalleled...

THIRD ALERT
Unless you live in a country that offers the mind-blowing Ovomaltine Crunchy Cream. Never move.

That is all. I hate
love
Trader Joe's.

Draft

I love this shit with some whole milk:

DSC3768.jpg

Good for the hotel room on vacation, or for a quick caffeine boost before an early workout!

I'm always tempted to go to trader joes because of all the wonderful things I see posted but I'm worried if I do I'll get fat ;-;

As someone who is too busy / lazy to cook things from scratch having stuff from Trader Joes that can be just put in the oven and is good to go is great. Shopping there weekly has helped me loose a few pounds.

Davey Cakes

ALERT
TJ's Cookie Butter is crap, as it is a pale imitation of:

ALERT
Lotus Biscoff Spread, preferably crunchy. It's widely available all over the place.

SECOND ALERT
I understand what you're getting at. I've tried both and it's hard to pick.

Biscoff Spread seems a little richer and fatty, perhaps? Texture wise, anyway.

TJ's Cookie Butter is a little dryer and maybe thicker?

Both taste incredible so I won't pick a side. If you find yourself at TJ's, grab some of their product. If you find yourself at Target or somewhere like that, grab Biscoff instead.

I understand what you're getting at. I've tried both and it's hard to pick.

Biscoff Spread seems a little richer and fatty, perhaps? Texture wise, anyway.

TJ's Cookie Butter is a little dryer and maybe thicker?

Both taste incredible so I won't pick a side. If you find yourself at TJ's, grab some of their product. If you find yourself at Target or somewhere like that, grab Biscoff instead.
Definitely a good way to go! What I used to do is get C&C Butter at TJ's and Crunchy Biscoff next door at Fairway (NYC supermarket chain). Until I realized the jars were lasting, oh, a weekend. Now I weep silently alone.

Chris R

I love this shit with some whole milk:

DSC3768.jpg

Good for the hotel room on vacation, or for a quick caffeine boost before an early workout!

Good to know about this. Looks like there is a Trader Joe's 1/4 a mile away from my next hotel room, I'll walk over and pick this up after checking in.

BamfMeat

I LOVE TJs. I don't get to go much anymore because I moved far away from one :(

I love all their curry sauces. And the curry sauces are amazing as dips for various things. Red Curry, Yellow Curry especially, but their green curry is the shit too.

I highly recommend them.

Davey Cakes

I LOVE TJs. I don't get to go much anymore because I moved far away from one :(

I love all their curry sauces. And the curry sauces are amazing as dips for various things. Red Curry, Yellow Curry especially, but their green curry is the shit too.

I highly recommend them.
Their green is okay.

Red and yellow are excellent!

And they're cheaper than most supermarkets at, what, $2.50 a jar, not on sale? Most other places you're easily paying 4-6 dollars for that sort of sauce in the ethnic aisle and it's not always as good.

Piggus

Trader Joes is awesome, but lol at having two buck chuck on there. That's the definition of garbage wine. Once got a bottle that had so much bacterial problems the cork had turned green. It's awful.

You can get some pretty decent wine for ~$10. Charles Shaw is for people who are desperate.

crumpets with melting butter on it is god tier. More of our friends over the pond should try them. :)

I like to put butter and strawberry jam on mine once they're fresh out of my toaster oven.

Currently need to restock the freezer and pantry so I'll probably stop at TJ's tonight.

RevDM

Banned
crumpets with melting butter on it is god tier. More of our friends over the pond should try them. :)

my sister was visiting and we were at the store. She picked up some English muffins (American), I told her I had legit crumpets at home. She loved them and we went to TJ so she could get a bunch to fly back home with (no tj near her)

RevDM

Banned
Trader Joes is awesome, but lol at having two buck chuck on there. That's the definition of garbage wine. Once got a bottle that had so much bacterial problems the cork had turned green. It's awful.

You can get some pretty decent wine for ~$10. Charles Shaw is for people who are desperate.

At the 28th Annual International Eastern Wine Competition, Shaw's 2002 Shiraz received the double gold medal, beating approximately 2,300 other wines in the competition.[6]

Shaw's 2005 California Chardonnay was judged Best Chardonnay from California at the Commercial Wine Competition of the 2007 California Exposition and State Fair. The chardonnay received 98 points, a double gold, with accolades of "Best of California" and "Best of Class".[7]

Jonm1010

Banned
Also I love these threads haha.

I like that we get them fairly regularly too. IT always brings in a fresh group of recommendations.

pablito

please don't support this shitty company (bronco wine co.), they are the walmart of the wine industry. they treat their employees like shit and pay them garbage.

Damn that sucks to hear. There's a comparatively priced and flavored wine I could get, but I forgot the name.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Going to Trader Joe's on lunch already to pick up a few things for the weekend, now I'm going to have to spend the entire trip convincing myself I don't need the chocolate covered peanut butter pretzels.

I'll probably fail.

I failed.

Also, as it turns out, I totally needed the pistachio crusted toffee.

trader-joes-dark-chocolate-roasted-pistachio-toffee.jpg

Piggus

Yeah I feel like if I posted some of the studies out about how poor wine experts are at actually discerning quality and being consistent and that price =/= quality he might lose it.

He probably got a bad bottle.

That's the problem. The general consensus is that it's inconsistent. Believe it or not it's pretty easy to tell if a wine went through a poor filtering process or has bacterial issues. You can't make a wine that cheaply and not expect some kind of inconsistently. I'd much rather spend a little more and get something that I know will be good every time.

I'm not really a fan of Californa wines anyway, so meh.

RevDM

Banned
That's the problem. The general consensus is that it's inconsistent. Believe it or not it's pretty easy to tell if a wine went through a poor filtering process or has bacterial issues. You can't make a wine that cheaply and not expect some kind of inconsistently. I'd much rather spend a little more and get something that I know will be good every time.

I'm not really a fan of Californa wines anyway, so meh.

Lol... California wines are fairly consistent in beating both French and Italian due to low levels of weather fluctuation. You're probably one of those people that watched Sideways and refuse to buy merlot.

Xe4

Banned
I remember my first post was in a thread like this, I'll post now what I posted then.
12312-vanilla-meringues.png

GOAT

+ one more
trader-joe's-chips.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom