• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best of: Trader Joe's

Status
Not open for further replies.

mowho

Banned
[/b]

Lol... California wines are fairly consistent in beating both French and Italian due to low levels of weather fluctuation. You're probably one of those people that watched Sideways and refuse to buy merlot.

Sideways353.jpeg

CHC

I don't really shop at Trader Joe's but I always eat like 30 of these when I'm at my mom's and dinner takes way too long to finish cooking.

kDSx3dt.jpg

Siphorus

Those raisin Rosemary crackers are so good with some quality cheese. Add that with some of the wine and you have a decent college date ;).

I personally like the 2$ packaged coffee that they have. 10 packets, and it comes "all dressed up".

w3bba

Not strictly TJ, but since it belongs to the same german company (Aldi Nord) i think this could pass:

front.png

Sadly discontinued several years ago, but still the GOAT of all iced tea
germans will understand ;_;

182Ways

wn-crispy-green-curry-shrimp-gyoza5.png

One of my newest favorites. Mix with some rice and curry sauce for extra delicious.

Between the local Trader Joe's and the Wegman's right next to it, I've come to love grocery shopping day.

beat

Apparently owned by Aldi, but if Aldi in the UK is anything at all like Aldi in the US, it's also nothing like Trader Joe's.

Here's why!
The [brothers] founded their discount-store empire together. A disagreement in 1960 over selling cigarettes hastened a partition, and an epic game of grocery-store Risk: Theo would rename his business Aldi Nord, and would control territories north of the Rhine, plus a healthy chunk of Europe. Karl would head up Aldi Süd, and get southern Germany, more of Europe, plus the U.K. and Ireland. But both companies operate stores in the United States—Aldi Süd operates as Aldi, and Aldi Nord as the now ubiquitous Trader Joe’s.
Aldi Süd is your UK Aldi, and Aldi Nord is Trader Joe's.

GatorBait

A little off-topic, but is it just me, or do the nutritional facts on TJ's food sometimes seem very suspect? A lot of the time I'm eating their food and trying to figure out how their nutritional stats are so reasonable and low-calorie compared to how delicious they are.

ALERT
TJ's Cookie Butter is crap, as it is a pale imitation of:

ALERT
Lotus Biscoff Spread, preferably crunchy. It's widely available all over the place.

SECOND ALERT
TJ's Cookies and Cream butter, on the other hand, is unparalleled...

THIRD ALERT
Unless you live in a country that offers the mind-blowing Ovomaltine Crunchy Cream. Never move.

That is all. I hate
love
Trader Joe's.

Bought both brands this year for the first time: crunch TJ's cookie butter (which is actually barely crunchy at all) and the smooth Lotus Biscoff spread. The Biscoff spread was a lot more oily/smooth/spreadable and had a richer/fattier taste to it, but it had more of a bland/neutral taste. Whereas the TJ's cookie butter had a much thicker consistency (a little tough to spread sometimes, to be honest), but it had such a better taste because of the blend of spices they use in it.

Just my 2-cents. I sought out a lot of opinions and taste test videos (which there were surprisingly much fewer of than I would've thought there'd be) before finally sucking it up and just buying both brands.

I've tried every brand that exists. Seriously; I have a problem. Your fatal flaw? Biscoff smooth. Crunchy will change your life, promise. It's nothing like TJ's barely-crunchy knockoff.

ALERT
TJ's Cookie Butter is crap, as it is a pale imitation of:

ALERT
Lotus Biscoff Spread, preferably crunchy. It's widely available all over the place.
This is the truth.

TJ's introduced me to the stuff, bless their hearts, but nothing compares to the authentic crunchy Biscoff butter. TJ's knock-off seems to have more filler-to-cookie ratio in comparison and feels overwhelmingly cloying as a result.

rokkerkory

Try:

• Quinoa and black bean chips they are zomg
    2 buck and 50 cent chuck is still great
    organic chicken tenders
    organic tomato soup

stay away from their siracha it's wack
    also stay away their wasabi peas

This is the truth.

TJ's introduced me to the stuff, bless their hearts, but nothing compares to the authentic crunchy Biscoff butter. TJ's knock-off seems to have more filler-to-cookie ratio in comparison and feels overwhelmingly cloying as a result.

Crunchy Speculoos from Bischoff is indeed the GOAT.

And it has to be Crunchy. Smooth is too cloying.
I wasn't kidding when I said I've tried every brand that exists. I've imported speculoos spread from all over, I was obsessed (currently in recovery)! I even tried stepping my game up to Speculaas-flavored Schuddebuikjes from Bolletje, but they were too much for me. The Dutch are crazy; I love it.

Dennis

Banned
I wasn't kidding when I said I've tried every brand that exists. I've imported speculoos spread from all over, I was obsessed (currently in recovery)! I even tried stepping my game up to Speculaas-flavored Schuddebuikjes from Bolletje, but they were too much for me. The Dutch are crazy; I love it.

Yeah, Speculoos is delicious. But is also just about the least nutritious thing imaginable. It is literally just fat and sugar lol

beat

I bought kimchi from TJ's about three years ago. It was even made in Korea. It was ridiculously bland.

Piggus

[/b]

Lol... California wines are fairly consistent in beating both French and Italian due to low levels of weather fluctuation. You're probably one of those people that watched Sideways and refuse to buy merlot.

Oh please. I wasn't talking about any wine in Europe. I was talking about wine we have right here in Oregon and Washington. The California wine industry has homogenized whereas the stuff you can get further north tends to be a bit more unique and complex. Californians like to pretend the Oregon wine industry doesn't exist. It's cute.

Depends on the type of wine though.

Milabrega

Did they discontinue the Cookie Butter Cheesecake? All they have are the small box of cookie butter cheese cake bites, which just aren't the same not nearly as good.

RevDM

Banned
Did they discontinue the Cookie Butter Cheesecake? All they have are the small box of cookie butter cheese cake bites, which just aren't the same not nearly as good.

There have been some changes in the store. The spinach pizza was MIA for a few months. It is now different, no longer the Amy's

Apdiddy

Wow, most of the food from Trader Joe's looks great. Chocolate covered espresso beans sounds both spectacular and hard to eat at the same time.

Although I really hate the radio ads for them while I'm driving in to work. A few of the people from Trader Joe's (like Dan) make me want to punch a wall or something.

keep your distance from "2 buck chuck" types of wine...

you don't want to know how it's made....

..but i'll briefly mention it anyways...

a machine tears down the rows of vines ripping out everything from bugs,leaves, sticks, grapes, unripe grapes, rotten grapes...etc..

mashes it all together.

then puts the wine flavor back in with chemicals and a bunch of sugar.

the end.

haven't seen these posted - nice quick fix

b2fedafc60401769e0c5a8bb0b8597ce.jpg

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
keep your distance from "2 buck chuck" types of wine...

you don't want to know how it's made....

..but i'll briefly mention it anyways...

a machine tears down the rows of vines ripping out everything from bugs,leaves, sticks, grapes, unripe grapes, rotten grapes...etc..

mashes it all together.

then puts the wine flavor back in with chemicals and a bunch of sugar.

the end.
Wasn't that info based off of Huffington Post article whose source was a random guy answering on Quora who then he himself said to take his words with a grain of salt?

Here's his response when he found out they published his 3 year old post:
SKV3fxr.jpg

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Wasn't that info based off of Huffington Post article whose source was a random guy answering on Quora who then he himself said to take his words with a grain of salt?

Here's his response when he found out they published his 3 year old post:

Psh. I bet that response was on Hufington Post too. Everybody knows the best and most reliable wine is picked by hand by underpaid migrant workers who care about the quality of the final product and work consistently with full attention throughout the day.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Psh. I bet that response was on Hufington Post too. Everybody knows the best and most reliable wine is picked by hand by underpaid migrant workers who care about the quality of the final product and work consistently with full attention throughout the day.

You can taste the difference!

Archaix

Drunky McMurder

This topic went up a week ago and now I can't remember a time when I didn't have one of these with breakfast. How did we make it through life in those dark days?

Also I'm pretty sure I could have traded these for sexual favors today. Actually, based on the response she made after eating, it's entirely possible that in giving this away I also provided a sexual favor.

Labrys

A lot of this stuff looks really good, but the nearest Trader Joe's next to me is like 11 miles away. Maybe I'll go if I'm ever in the area.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Highly recommend the Carolina Gold BBQ sauce. It tastes like someone classed the hell up out of McDonald's Sweet and Sour sauce.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom