• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best racing game to buy this holiday? Forza 7, Project Cars 2 or Gran Turismo Sport

Crayon

04980012.jpg

Arklite

I'm probably going for GT Sport after most reviews lamented Project Cars' buggy ass state. My issue with Sport is that it really seems like it should be a $40 release. Forza is probably the safest bet in terms of content if you're looking for beefy SP.

Fox Mulder

Ugh. This was what I was afraid of.

I want a great online, great single-player racer, with great graphics, great game-play, and no microtransaction BS.

:(

it's a shame how everything ended. 2017 should have been amazing with project cars 2, GT, and Forza all dropping. They all have huge turnoffs for me though.

First forza I'm skipping, not interested in online only racing in GT, and pcars is best suited for a wheel setup I don't have.

really bummed out.

ethomaz

Banned
Said this in the other thread, but there are like 5 reviews for Forza 7 on the two aggregate sites. Opencritic has it at 86 and Metacritic has it at 93...

I wouldn't say there's a notably high chance of GT Sport scoring higher, because GT has been < 85 meta since GT5 inclusive.. and that was when it was considered to be full of content.
There are already 3 or 4 reviews counted on Meta below 7... actually Meta score is a dream because only 5 early reviews were added.

GTS has a good (not high) chance to score over 85 in my view.

Synth

There are already 3 or 4 reviews counted on Meta below 7... actually Meta score is a dream because only 5 early reviews were added.

GTS has a good (not high) chance to score over 85 in my view.

Am I missing something?

J2nbHA8.png

I mean, even all with scores we know of existing atm, I'd say it's too early to be throwing the metascore around... but where is the 85 you're referring to coming from?

Falchion

The real answer is one of those games hadn't come out yet so we won't know for sure until people get their hands on GT Sport and we see what kind of patches Forza and Project Cars gets.

Man because GT Sport has no proper campaign, I can't advise buying that at all unless you love multiplayer racing.

This kills me as a GT fan.

I'm not sure I get the hate these games get. These studios don't have unlimited budgets. Something has to give to achieve a particular goal.

The desire for 1000 4K ready cars, 100+ 4K ready tracks, with 200+ hour single player campaigns, jaw dropping lighting, Uber realistic sounds, and a bug free experience aren't going to happen. Devs need to make choices.

Lego Boss

Forza 7 is the best Forza yet IMO. Not as good as FH2, but best corridor racer (yes l know DC) l've played since Shift 2 on 360.

Synth

Yes... like the Gamereactor 7/10.

You said 3 or 4 sub 7 reviews. I know of the Gamereactor one, and the shacknews 6/10 (which got thrown onto a different aggregation). Where's the 85 coming from?

Even if I take all 9 assigned scores (including the 6/10 and 7/10) from the review thread OP, and do a straight average with no weighting across them, it comes out at 88(.8). So again, I'm asking where your 85 is already coming from as an apparently low bar for GTS to hop over?

lethial

Reeeeeeee
You're so close to the holidays when they release you might as well just wait for the next installments of the games imo. They'll be better believe me.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
Impossible to tell without GTS, but it’s looking very much like it’ll be Forza 7.

IISANDERII

I'm a big racing game fan, but don't want to buy multiple racing games this holiday. I read dozens of articles and previews. I still can't decide.

Which racing game is the best one to get? Forza 7, Project Cars 2 or Gran Turismo Sport

I enjoyed previous Gran Turismo games, Forza Horizon games, Project Gotham racing games, and Driveclub.

Which one would you pick and why, if you had to choose one?

Thanks, guys.
I'm in same boat. Was actually considering getting an Xbon for Forza but the loot box shit I'm staying far away. The Forza7 thread is riddled with many other complaints including physics, game modes, grind and online multiplayer.

Project Car 2 seems very buggy on PS4 right now. Hopefully it'll be fixed.

Gran Turismo Sports could be great. The beta had some awesome online racing; if you're a clean driver you'll be grouped with other clean drivers. Racing with fair people who respect racing rules and etiquette is massively more enjoyable than racing against braind dead AI drones who don't even know you exist. Putting the campaign online is risky but it could be a huge leap forward for the genre.
On the other hand, the game could be awful for any number of reasons. I won't be there on day 1 and won't be paying much attention to the reviews since 98% of reviewers are useless. I'm definitely going to keep my eyes on the OT, Reddit and GTPLANET and see what people are saying. I won't hesitate to skip it too.

Maybe I'll get Project Car 1 Gold Edition for €15. Or Assetto Corsica. Or maybe fuck them all and play more Overwatch or get into Horizon Dawn.

To the people saying all three suck/are terrible: What do you want? Where should the developer start cutting back to deliver a game within 3-4 years on a budget less than 100 million USD? If you say nothing should be cut back, then are you willing to pay the cost of having your sim (via extensive DLC, loot boxes, micro transactions, etc)?

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
I'd have to say Project Cars 2.

I had Forza 7 preordered but the demo didn't run well on my PC which is more powerful than an Xbox One X so yeah I cancelled it. There is no doubt Forza 7 is the best looking game. If you're looking for a good mix between arcade/simulation driving then Forza 7 is great.

I was hesitant of Project Cars because it's aimed more at those playing with a wheel and looking for full on simulation experience but I went and bought the first one since it was real cheap (£6) and because I really wanted a racing game to play. I found that playing with a 360 controller is just fine and the handling/controls aren't too difficult. Ideally I'd like a wheel but I'm quite happy with the controller. So I'll definitely be picking up Project Cars 2 at some point.

If I had an Xbox then I'd have got Forza 7 on that for sure. I'm simply not interested in GTS as I've never really enjoyed GT games. Project Cars is a good choice too but I wouldn't get it on console because I can't stand games where the framerate isn't locked.

Lingitiz

I will buy GTS... it will be the last game I will buy this year.

Now about best racing game.... hummm after pCARs 2 and Forza 7 scores I guess GTS has a good chance to be over both (> 85 meta).

In terms of sales GTS will sell the most this holiday.

I can't imagine GT Sport will review very well considering the lack of single player content and car count in comparison to competition and the previous games.

But yeah it will probably sell really well regardless.

Hooks

If you want customisation and mechanical upgrades forza is the only way. GT took away my favourite aspect (mechanical upgrades)

Tough choice. I bought Forza 7, but gonna pick up GT Sport too.

I really like Forza 7 and it is a blast to play. Really gives me PGR vibes when in city races. Game can look jawdropping but can look pretty bland too.

Anyway, while I love Forza, I could not do without GT. Not only sentimental feelings here: The carmodels, skyboxes and lighting of GT are, to me personally, in a league of their own.

Forza 7 is the best Forza yet IMO. Not as good as FH2, but best corridor racer (yes l know DC) l've played since Shift 2 on 360.

Agreed. And people talking about that 7/10 review have to realize that there are a few 9/10s that haven't yet been added to the MC as well.

I can't imagine GT Sport will review very well considering the lack of single player content and car count in comparison to competition and the previous games.

But yeah it will probably sell really well regardless.

I don't know, it could go either way but if the content GT Sport does have is extremely polished and it plays great (it does if the Beta is anything to go by) then it still has a chance to review well.

GT5 and GT6 had a wealth of content and reviews marked them down because it lacked polish and was more of the same / didn't evolve enough, so maybe the reviews will be looking for GT to change and like tgis new version of GT.

The game really does look fantastic now and the AI seems more aggressive this time, so that seems to be a good sign for the single player at least.

I do think Forza, Project Cars 2 and GT Sport all have pros and cons but they should all be good choices for different reasons.

Lingitiz

I don't know, it could go either way but if the content GT Sport does have is extremely polished and it plays great (it does if the Beta is anything to go by) then it still has a chance to review well.

GT5 and GT6 had a wealth of content and reviews marked them down because it lacked polish and was more of the same / didn't evolve enough, so maybe the reviews will be looking for GT to change and like tgis new version of GT.

The game really does look fantastic now and the AI seems more aggressive this time, so that seems to be a good sign for the single player at least.

I do think Forza, Project Cars 2 and GT Sport all have pros and cons but they should all be good choices for different reasons.

It'll be interesting to see, but honestly I doubt they will be very kind to it. The biggest issue with GT was the bloat yeah, but their response seems to have been stripping out a ton of it and not replacing things with anything better. The single player campaign basically being the license test is evident of this. The solution should have been toreimagine the campaign with the feeling of progression that the series is so good with, not remove everything that made it memorable.

The online focus is also appealing though and something to look forward to. But it would have been nice for them to build on that in addition to a strong single player and a diverse selection of cars and tracks. If you have all of the consoles and are looking to choose between the 3, on paper GT doesn't exactly make the best argument.

killatopak

Gold Member
definitely not forza imo.

I have too many games with loot boxes already. I can't take it anymore. The grind and temptation is too strong.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Tough choice. I bought Forza 7, but gonna pick up GT Sport too.

I really like Forza 7 and it is a blast to play. Really gives me PGR vibes when in city races. Game can look jawdropping but can look pretty bland too.

Anyway, while I love Forza, I could not do without GT. Not only sentimental feelings here: The carmodels, skyboxes and lighting of GT are, to me personally, in a league of their own.

Yeah going this route too. -Forza and GT Sport. Both around £40 each so total price about the same as I regretfully paid for FH3 ultimate last year (great game but not worth the premium for ultimate IMO)

Wary of GT's likely lack of single player, and Forza multiplayer makes me rage almost instantly so I prefer my racing games to be single player focused. But I'll give it a chance

witness

You make so much money in Forza, I always end up with millions not even trying so I don't understand why the lootboxes are a problem. Are there cars that you can't buy without finding them in a lootbox?

Rodelero

I kind of thought I might end up buying three or four racing games this Autumn between F1, PC2, Forza and Gran Turismo Sport. So far I've bought none. If Gran Turismo Sport can deliver online racing in a way which feels fair and fun, I'm in. Otherwise, I guess I'll just go back to Dirt Rally...

Hugstable

Banned
Gonna wait to see impressions of GTsport first and if it's true that it really skimps on the content (really not feeling the online only stuff too), then I'm just gonna end up playing more Forza Horizon 3 (never played the snow expansion) or hell even Driveclub (haven't played anything besides the base game from launch)

Yeah going this route too. -Forza and GT Sport. Both around £40 each so total price about the same as I regretfully paid for FH3 ultimate last year (great game but not worth the premium for ultimate IMO)

Wary of GT's likely lack of single player, and Forza multiplayer makes me rage almost instantly so I prefer my racing games to be single player focused. But I'll give it a chance

Seems like a great combo. Although still pretty hard to swallow that GT has no real campaign anymore. On the other hand, the last GT campaigns were pretty underwhelming so maybe it's for the better.

WoolyNinja

i bought it this year too but a waste of money imo. enjoyed playing them a few years back but not a fan of this year.

Strange, it's the best F1 game Codies have released to be honest.

I agree with Malcom9 - easily the best F1 game and my favorite racing game in a couple years easily. It just feels so right with a FFB wheel (T300RS), and it also controls great with a controller for those times I don't want to get the wheel out. I'm also enjoy the weekly events, continually improving my times, etc.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i suppose if you're a big F1 fan but i just didn't enjoy it. the last one i played was 2015 and a few before that.

Bumblebeetuna

Gold Member
1. Forza, it is the most well rounded of the three in terms of value. Not feeling those loot boxes though.

2. Who cares, Pc2 and GTS are both hot messes. GT's campaign mode is a bunch of goddamn license tests LOL.

Maybe get PC2 down the line after patches.

tlop53

1. Forza, it is the most well rounded of the three in terms of value. Not feeling those loot boxes though.

2. Who cares, Pc2 and GTS are both hot messes. GT's campaign mode is a bunch of goddamn license tests LOL.

Maybe get PC2 down the line after patches.

where did you get gts from? i still have to wait for the october release

Top Bottom