• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best racing game to buy this holiday? Forza 7, Project Cars 2 or Gran Turismo Sport

Gek54

Owned every Gran Turismo, even imported all the prologues, and the GT2 demo that had true force feedback with the Jogcon. But after playing the GTS Beta, this might be first GT game I pass up. I was really hoping the create a track feature would be expanded upon. Feels like an end of era. Bummed that we dont have any more Drive Club to look forward to either. I've already packed up my T300RS ready to sell off. It was good times.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Do you prefer loot boxes, bugs, or lack of single player content?

As someone who's never played a Forza game, can someone summarize what loot boxes are, and why they're hated so much?

StereoVsn

The state of things is quite unfortunate. I was looking toward at least couple driving games this year (Forza is out since no Xbox and I don't use Windows Store) and now PC2 is an iffy mess with not too great controller support (no wheel) and GTS is basically mainly MP for all intends and purposes.

I guess I will check out NFS on Origin Access (if available) when that's out but don't have high hopes.

Neith

Banned
Forza for the cars and GT for the polish and awesome online I hope.

But fucking Forza is not on Steam. I am so not happy about that shit.

If you have played any previous instalment of these series', and enjoyed them I wouldn't say there is much reason to move to another. If you like GT then there really isn't much reason to switch to Forza and vice versa, both are good in-depth track racers.
Want to go heavier? Go Project cars 2.

IISANDERII

Wow Forza7 is being torn to shreds on Reddit. Usually Reddit subforums are blindly loyal to their game but not this time.

https://reddit.com/r/forza

The top thread is 'I've worked in mobile gaming for nearly a decade. I believe Forza 7 has been tuned from the ground up around microtransactions...'

TheRed

Forza 7 is damn fun and pretty playing with a controller but doesn't feel as deep in simulation.
Project Cars 2 is seriously legit and awesome on PC with a wheel, I really recommend it. VR is great too.
Really loving Project Cars 2, hope they bring the console versions up to snuff so more people can actually enjoy it.

dr guildo

37388325052_519b67b310_o.png

Neith

Banned
The Crew. It's fantastic, and cheap.
Crew 2 looks AMAZING, and I am honestly thinking about getting the 100 dollar edition crazy as that it. All I ever wanted from the first Crew was a better interface and improved graphics. It looks to be an amazing looking game for being gigantic.

If you were talking about Crew 1 then yeah I got better things to do. I cannot stand the way weather works in Crew 1 and it looks horrible. It rains so much too with that same horrible road texture. Crew 2 is going to put the first game in a deep coffin.

Also, holy shit at that subreddit. Crazy that hardly any reviewers are not mentioning much about it. I guess a few have, and I am sure more like Sterling will.

joecanada

Most racers feel very different. I demand sim because it made me a better driver IRL but everyone is going to have a preference.

BigEmil

Most racers feel very different. I demand sim because it made me a better driver IRL but everyone is going to have a preference.
GTA driving is more real life streets sim and can help you to be a better driver irl than these sim racers on tracks

Neith

Banned
In one of the threads a redditor does some math from experience in Forza 7 and came to the conclusion on an oval, easiest path, you can get about 280-350K credits an hour.

That is pretty damn grindy. And that is best case scenario on a fucking Nascar loop so the top AI doesn't hurt your bottom. The loot boxes are real.

Wow Forza7 is being torn to shreds on Reddit. Usually Reddit subforums are blindly loyal to their game but not this time.

The top thread is 'I've worked in mobile gaming for nearly a decade. I believe Forza 7 has been tuned from the ground up around microtransactions...'
From that post:

Reddit post said:
Now let's dive in. A few years back when microtransactions were starting to be popular, console games tried throwing free to play (F2P) mechanics from mobile games in on top of their existing games, and it didn't work out as well as they hoped. As it turns out, if you are going to put microtransactions in a game, the ENTIRE game needs to be designed around that. Forza 7 was their chance to design a game from the ground up around people buying loot boxes, and they took full advantage of it. Let's go through some of the most popular criticisms, and we can decide if they made those changes to make the game more fun, or if they made them to get people to buy more loot boxes. The first rule of microtransactions is you need to create artificial scarcity of resources. So whenever there's a change made to make credits or cars more difficult to get, it was made for loot boxes.

* VIP 2x Credit is now consumable instead of permanent - the most obvious design change to get people to buy loot boxes

* Collection system - you need more cars to drive the cool stuff. What's the easiest way to get new cars? Loot boxes.

* Cars all cost more money - creating artificial scarcity. Loot boxes.

* Homologation rules - you can make an argument this was done to make multiplayer more fair. I agree that was a partial reason, but I also think it was done to force people to buy more cars (loot boxes) that qualify in more races. Previously you could upgrade your starter car fairly cheaply and run it in all sorts of series.

* No more assist bonuses - more credit scarcity. Loot boxes.

* Weird AI - no idea here. I don't think this was a microtransaction change.

* No Upgrades - they want you to have to buy more cars which cost credits which...you can see where this is going.

So we can see almost every major change was made to increase scarcity to promote loot boxes. Seriously, go through the changes in the game and just ask if they made that change to make the game more fun, or if they made it to potentially sell more loot boxes.
(full post)

Seems right to take a look at the game through that lens, if only to see how these systems spread over installments and warp game design to apply pressures towards further purchases. This stuff is insidious, and its yet another MS exclusive taking this direction, which actually bums me on the platform as a whole.

1. Forza, it is the most well rounded of the three in terms of value. Not feeling those loot boxes though.

2. Who cares, Pc2 and GTS are both hot messes. GT's campaign mode is a bunch of goddamn license tests LOL.

Maybe get PC2 down the line after patches.

Why not get PC2 now?

Tenshin

Even me i cant decide but ill try to get the exclusives, gt sport and forza 7. The problem for me in a forza game's they have so much dlc that if adds up, it will cost more or the same with the base game. Gt sport no idea still thinking its just a spin off rather than a full fledge game..

Xbox fans will say Forza
PS fans will say GT
PC fans will say PC2

Just wait, because no one can actually answer your question.
Forza's on PC.

So.. if PC fans pick PC2 over it, that should tell you something.

Non sim?
Its FH 3 and its not even close...

This makes me sad...

I haven't truly enjoyed a racing game since NFS: The Run...

I'm just not a fan of Sims... Or open world racers...

Dirt 3 was OK, though...

hamchan

I remember Forza 5 being torn to shreds for similar things too. I'm glad, they have a great racing game but the stuff around it is kinda nonsense and I'm glad a portion of the fanbase doesn't stand for this shit.

I'm also hoping the backlash will make them make VIP bonus permanent again because I feel legit deceived by them with this move.

Seems like it's clearly Forza 7. But I haven't had a chance to play any of them yet, just going off history and current impressions.

People are bitching about the shady business practices seeping into FM7, but I haven't heard many legit complaints beside that. Mostly just the usual whining about how an incremental installment isn't a massive improvement in every way over 6. They finally added weather...

Egida

Neo Member
That Forza 7 post about mobile game design is nauseating. I wonder if GT Sport will add something similar in the future, being a gaas now.

borges

Banned
Well, to be completely fair, GTS is still not released, but... having watched and played the preview, I have a very good idea of what the game will be.
This year there's no contest IMO: Forza is the right choice: Better graphics, super solid, mature gameplay, tons of cars, tons of tracks, great single player campaign, etc..
The loot box thing is bad, but its not a deal breaker as some guys here try to sell.

Hawk269

Forza is only solid if you're a console player.

If you're a PC player then it's a gamble.

I actually did that recently. It runs great and just cruising alone feels pretty good.

Maybe I will try to get 100% while they fix FM7.

My PC version has been running flawlessly, but I know others are having issues. So if on PC, like the person I am quoting it can be a gamble. PC2 to me is a complete train wreck with the technical issues and it just is poorly tested. It probably will be the best simulation or closes to a sim of the 3 but in it's current state I think the issues make it a no buy.

Forza 7 has been fantastic and the amount of improvement over Forza 6 on Xbox One S is just amazing, especially the IQ. Game has a lot of features and has been a dream to play. As far as GT, not sure on this one..only played the beta at a friends and it was just ok, but I don't want to say more since I don't think it is fair to say it is a no buy without it being out and having spent time personally.

joecanada

GTA driving is more real life streets sim and can help you to be a better driver irl than these sim racers on tracks

Sim racers teach you about weight distribution, acceleration, braking , cornering efficiency and pretty much everything else about actually driving a car . GTA doesn't do any of that it's not remotely useful IRL . Unless people drive around yanking the ebrake around corners which we actually did in snow when we were younger ...

Hawk269

PCars2 ran / performed and had fewer bugs here than FM7 (PC). If we're talking about things not tested, there are FM7 bugs out there so easy to do that you can force them every single time. If that's not poorly tested then I don't know what is.

So to me PCars2 is also a gamble.

I experienced races where almost/majority of the field of AI drivers had pile ups after the first turn or the issue with tracks being flooded, but yet the AI can drive through it. I have not encountered any issue in F7 as of yet, but I only played it for about 4-5 hours. PC2 just does not feel tested at all or very little. Right now I would not recommend it, but I would say it is a "hold" until some of the game breaking bugs are fixed. Hopefully we will get a patch soon to address some issues (granted I have not booted up the game since Tuesday, so there may have been a patch).

mreddie

Crew 2 looks AMAZING, and I am honestly thinking about getting the 100 dollar edition crazy as that it. All I ever wanted from the first Crew was a better interface and improved graphics. It looks to be an amazing looking game for being gigantic.

If you were talking about Crew 1 then yeah I got better things to do. I cannot stand the way weather works in Crew 1 and it looks horrible. It rains so much too with that same horrible road texture. Crew 2 is going to put the first game in a deep coffin.

Also, holy shit at that subreddit. Crazy that hardly any reviewers are not mentioning much about it. I guess a few have, and I am sure more like Sterling will.

I remember Crew 1 Beta being so meh...and then, I played it whole, post graphic rehaul, it's a great racer.

I am fearing Crew Tew being too crazy with Sea and Air Races.

meirl

Banned
My problems with FM7 are far more serious than the AI being idiots. Hard crashes, game not even booting up, textures and scenery disappearing (usually followed by crashes), stuttering, freezes, too many to count.

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

I did not have anything like this on my Xbox. Are you playing on PC? Try reinstalling. This is Not normal

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
1. Don't sweat framerates, engine noises, etc. and just buy NFS
2. Also pick up a case of beer
3. ??????
4. Profit

Mascot

What's the chances of mod support for PC2?

Slim-to-none chance of official support, but SMS unofficially are OK with mods and there are backdoor workarounds in pCARS 1, albeit ones that require much hoop-jumping. It's nowhere near as easy as drag-and-drop modding in Assetto Corsa, for example.

Actually OP, your best bet right now is Assetto Corsa. It runs great, has class-leading AI, FFB and car handling. After several patches Project Cars 2 will hopefully realise its potential to be one of the best motorsport games ever made, but right now Assetto Corsa could be your best option.

Top Bottom