• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best roguelike on the DS - New official thread of you will buy Shiren DS

fucking Pekeji got me killed, he died at the hands of a ricebreather and he became a ricemaster

CYC8L GKNT B84PJ
W27FP K1MZ J74H!
BRFM9 KM4H 38PSP
B0M57 Y5B! MZ030

pwease? I had a +1 Armor Ward which is the only reason I want to be rescued really.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
Prime crotch said:
fucking Pekeji got me killed, he died at the hands of a ricebreather and he became a ricemaster

CYC8L GKNT B84PJ
W27FP K1MZ J74H!
BRFM9 KM4H 38PSP
B0M57 Y5B! MZ030

pwease? I had a +1 Armor Ward which is the only reason I want to be rescued really.

Do you by chance have wifi? That makes rescuing a lot easier, plus you can get free stuff! Also, while I am not in need of anything really, be sure to give people thank you letters. Inputting the thank you letter after someone rescues you means they get free stuff.

Also, I'll rescue you later tonight if no one else has.

slayn said:
Do you by chance have wifi? That makes rescuing a lot easier, plus you can get free stuff! Also, while I am not in need of anything really, be sure to give people thank you letters. Inputting the thank you letter after someone rescues you means they get free stuff.

Also, I'll rescue you later tonight if no one else has.
yeah just need to configure the router though

edit: 1118-2050-8626 is my FC, had to steal the connection from some neighbour since my own gives me the damned 52000 error

slayn

the friend code thing never works for me, dunno why. It's easier if you just post your request "for anyone" and give the request number. Then you don't have to enter friend codes either.

lo zaffo

Prime crotch said:

CYC8L GKNT B84PJ
W27FP K1MZ J74H!
BRFM9 KM4H 38PSP
B0M57 Y5B! MZ030

It was a quick try! And I received a sleepless armband! Very good!

QYDSX 5YYX NJDJ8
V83S7 L!92 PJQ9F
6!R0N PKP! JG056
SWQG1 5N2Z 3R!90

slayn

That was... interesting. So I'm playing final puzzle and I got down the stairs to floor 9 and it is a big room monster house. Not all that rare. I'm kind of close to the stairs though so I figure I can make it the few steps there.

I take 1 step and suddenly I am completely surrounded by a mass of polygons.

I don't think I've ever died from a polygon before.

Can anyone save me again? lol My request number is 0000-0000-7772 and can you bring me some food? I resorted to eat all my herbs and I still almost died of hunger, I was shortly dispatched by a crushing iron ball instead.

slayn

Prime crotch said:
Can anyone save me again? lol My request number is 0000-0000-7772 and can you bring me some food? I resorted to eat all my herbs and I still almost died of hunger, I was shortly dispatched by a crushing iron ball instead.

rescued, sent a jar with a hide shield, 2 large rice balls, and some meat that will let you fly/move through walls for 1 level.

lupin23rd

Finally beat the main dungeon!

I got sick of getting my ass kicked over and over and as soon as I tasted the three trials section, I knew it was time to start grinding so I ended up owning most of the dungeon with a Mastersword + 45 and Armor Ward + 25 (with a bunch of melding).

The only problems came with fire-breathing dudes (what can I meld to get rid of that weakness?) and when some dude knocked off my armor ward and I was at 7 life.

I didn't know that the [R] symbol above me prevented me from using staves, I'm surprised something disastrous didn't happen when I tried to Dopplegang the big boss while in that state. Some mamel meat and one shot later and I was victorious :)

Any recommendations on what to do next? I won't spend as much time with the game in order to get into my backlog but wanted to get into the other dungeons. Maybe will jump into the kitchen god one next.

slayn

Tainted Path, Ravine of the Dead, and Ceremonial Cave are all very grindy dungeons that really aren't worth doing unless you just want to have everything in the game.

Kitchen god and trap dungeon are both really interesting I think. You should at least explore those. Also finish all of fay's puzzles. Once you've done all the puzzles, and have at least gone into (but not beaten) kitchen god and scroll cave (trap dungeon), then you will have access to fay's final puzzle.

Final Puzzle turns the entire game on its head. It is impossible to grind (you are forced to level 1 with no items when you enter). There are no storehouses or anything like that. It contains 2-3 times the types of items that you are used to seeing. For example, in final puzzle there are 23 types of herbs of which you have yet only seen maybe 10 of. Same for every other kind of item.

And everything is unidentified so you don't know if that herb you just picked up is a medical herb or a poisonous one or some kind of herb you've never yet encountered before.

I've been doing some rescues and I've gotta say this is like THE best idea they've ever had. They should make a new game entirely based around this feature.

Can someone help me again? Request number 0000-0000-7803 was on a run to get money and gear ready for melding everything into one big ass katana.
btw can a melded sword have more than one special ability? Say if I make a Katana+Golden Blade+Crescent Sword will I get all the abilities?

slayn

Prime crotch said:
Can someone help me again? Request number 0000-0000-7803 was on a run to get money and gear ready for melding everything into one big ass katana.
btw can a melded sword have more than one special ability? Say if I make a Katana+Golden Blade+Crescent Sword will I get all the abilities?

I don't have time to save you, but yes. I don't use it because it makes things boring, but in my storehouse I have a weapon that has 150 attack and has every ability in the game except for one really rare ability.

When I use it, I sometimes crit for over 1000 damage.

Can some noble soul save my plebian ass? Just got "felled" by a Kingy6

edit:d'oh! forgot to put in the request number 0000-0000-7846 there ya go

slayn

I am dead as well. Anyone up for making a final puzzle rescue? Floor 28 I believe.
0000-0000-7854

I have a power jar cook up a few shields, a doppleganger staff, and a katana. I also already have a sword and shield with a few abilities just waiting for a melding jar.

Died because I let myself be cornered as a rice ball by a dragon.

slayn

Dash Kappei said:
It has good stuff, like dragon killer, razor wind, blast shield, 5 slot strengthening jar, 2 melding jars, and such.

Also I give good rewards.

someone save me :(

slayn said:
I am dead as well. Anyone up for making a final puzzle rescue? Floor 28 I believe.
0000-0000-7854

I have a power jar cook up a few shields, a doppleganger staff, and a katana. I also already have a sword and shield with a few abilities just waiting for a melding jar.

Died because I let myself be cornered as a rice ball by a dragon.
I'll try and do it when I'm rezed, there's already someone on the way. There's always the advantage of being able to plan a rescue run since the floors are always the same.

slayn

You can enter final puzzle and die on floor 5 or where ever
Then you request a rescue but you don't actually post it
You then adventure while awaiting rescue and re-enter final puzzle

The game won't let you progress further than where you died, so when you reach level 5 it will kick you back to the storehouse with all your stuff. So you can just keep doing the first five floors over and over and keeping everything.

That is the 'cheating' way though that came with the introduction of rescues. The real way you are supposed to keep stuff is by finding a storehouse jar and sending items back.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
So I've finally started playing the game beyond trying a couple of floor and learning spell names, so I'm still just past Tabletop Mountain or whatever :)
And already starved to death, anyboday up for a rescue?

Though my DS won't connect to my airport ffs, so I'm stuck with passwords... hopefully somebody will still be up for it, save my ass please!

KFGZZ XJTT 98BNB
0C0!F H3GK THG8B
WZ7NB HPJJ B7X0W
S8S0M 5PKB 36820

Wallach

So... when I was testing this new Pokemon DS at work today, I popped in Shiren to compare to some of the other Lites as I've been playing it so much lately and it'd be easier for me to differentiate things.

After dicking around for a few minutes and being satisfied with my results, out of habit I closed the DS and popped the card. Owned.

I'd just found my first Armband of Sight and Storehouse Jar, too. :(

sasimirobot

Finally got to the Tainted Insect (last boss?) a few minutes ago. Took me all day...

Lvl 26 with a +4 greatsword(?) and a +2 shield

I did die, but now I know I can make it and what I need to do to get there.

Awesome game!

Dash Kappei

sasimirobot said:
Finally got to the Tainted Insect (last boss?)

yes it is, just swing a doppleganger staff if you've got one et voila', done

I've beaten the main quest yesterday as well, level 27 with a +4 mastersword, antidote armband and +5 Hide Shield.

Was a bit underwhelmed by the difficulty of the game, I thought it was supposed to be a lot harder, but I guess I've just started sratching the surface of the game, right?

What to do now?

Btw, awesome game.

Cantaloup

Dash Kappei said:
I've beaten the main quest yesterday as well, level 27 with a +4 mastersword, antidote armband and +5 Hide Shield.

Was a bit underwhelmed by the difficulty of the game, I thought it was supposed to be a lot harder, but I guess I've just started sratching the surface of the game, right?

What to do now?

Keep playing. :) There's plenty more places to explore after finishing Table Mountain, and you'll also want to keep improving your equipment to survive.

sasimirobot

Finally beat it! Great game, but I have to disagree with people saying the game is easy.

One thing I don't like is that you have to have at least 6 riceballs to not starve to death, and that takes alot of back and forth at the beginning, kinda annoying.

Tron 2.0

Why am I so bad at this game?!

Any help will be much appreciated!

Code:
9M44L  5GRG  H84XZ
CT6!4  X5YS  2NH!Q
FP3PM  033X  R7!9R
KHYW1  7H55  4M710

Dash Kappei

sasimirobot said:
Finally beat it! Great game, but I have to disagree with people saying the game is easy.

One thing I don't like is that you have to have at least 6 riceballs to not starve to death, and that takes alot of back and forth at the beginning, kinda annoying.

You don't need that many for the main quest c'mon, just use the Hide Shield and upgrade that one, it make a hell of a difference in terms of food consuming.

sasimirobot

Dash Kappei said:
You don't need that many for the main quest c'mon, just use the Hide Shield and upgrade that one, it make a hell of a difference in terms of food consuming.

upgrade, you mean with the smiths? I didn't know that made it work better as far as food consumption, I thought it was just an armor upgrade...

So I am in the Kitchen God dungeon, any tips? I noticed it only takes all your items away not your lvl.

sasimirobot said:
upgrade, you mean with the smiths? I didn't know that made it work better as far as food consumption, I thought it was just an armor upgrade...

You can upgrade shields with Scrolls of Earth or by melding them with other shields in a Melding Jar (which you have to unlock first). Smiths will only work on weapons.

So I am in the Kitchen God dungeon, any tips? I noticed it only takes all your items away not your lvl.

Familiarize yourself with the special abilities that each type of meat will grant you. That's easy in the DS version since you can check the item info.

Keep a few pieces of meat from weaker enemies to throw at stronger enemies you don't want to fight. That can get you out of tight spots.

You can eat any useless meat to slightly restore your hunger meter (eat it, then immediately transform back to your original form). Your inventory fills up with dropped meat fast, so this is a good idea anyway.

Some types of meat are more valuable than others and can be sold at any shop you find along the way. Just experiment.

Teasel

you can't give a shield to the smith and you can't improve special skills (beside the leather shield cuts food consumption in half so you need to take 20 step for a 1% decrease) as for the food dungeon,there is really no big tip... use the useless meat for transforming troubling monster and keep the usefull one (some really good one are the evil general,the radish and everything that goes trough the walls such as the pumpkins and level 3 death) for yourself

sasimirobot

Kitchen God is so annoying difficult to get a good run in. I have found that it helps to lvl up a bit before you enter. I usually eat 3-4 riceballs to get my fullness above 120% before I enter the dungeon.

Hopefully you can find a shop early and just throw meat at the shop owner (and dogs) and steal good items.

Its annoying but I still go back again again and again.

I really like the amazing randomness of each run, and how 45+ hours later I still encounter things that surprise me in the game.

There are hundreds of possible situations to die from...and escape from.

rpmurphy

I have to say, this is my DS game of the year. I spent hundreds of hours on it and it never got tiring! :D Kitchen God, Trap Dungeon, and Final Puzzle kept me playing forever (until I sold my DSL).

And it looks like it's slowly but surely getting the recognition it deserves. Two articles came out today that talked about Shiren.

Shiren the Wanderer is #3 in Gamasutra's Top 5 Handheld games of the year
Considered by many in the know to be the finest Eastern-developed roguelike, Shiren the Wanderer finally made its way to the States after enjoying 13 years and now eight releases in Japan. This is probably one of the most hardcore and niche titles on any platform -- certainly a lot less accessible and yielding than its Pokémon Mystery Dungeon counterparts -- but someone had to give Shiren its due (and properly thank Sega for bringing over this game that hardly anyone bought)!

Though insanely difficult, punishing heedless adventurers at every turn and sending them back to the beginning town without any of their equipment or XP, Shiren is also immensely rewarding to those who can survive the game's trap-filled dungeons and monster-choked corridors. You'll need the resourcefulness of MacGyver, the preparation of Batman, and the prescience of Ender Wiggin just to make your way to the main dungeon's final boss, but you'll also feel as accomplished as all three of those fictional heroes when you finally get there.

Jeremy Parish looks back at the game
Snippet of the Article... Read the whole thing in the above link said:
What makes Shiren so addictive is this give-and-take design, the constant drive to go forward even though you're constantly pushing your character to the brink of defeat. You can't play Shiren like a typical RPG; hoarding items is folly, because you need to use them to survive, and if you don't survive you lose them anyway. You can't count on always finding the gear you need when you need it. You can't count on the enemies always behaving exactly as you predict, because while they have clearly-defined abilities the game features ample randomization that affects their relationship to the (ever-changing) environment and to the player. And sometimes the game unexpectedly throws you for a loop -- not every situation you find yourself in is winnable. That's where much of the frustration with Shiren comes in, I think, but the point of Shiren isn't to win every time you play. It's impossible. Rather, the goal is to learn from your mistakes, learn to anticipate what the monsters will do, learn how your equipment can be used to your advantage. Learn the game, keep trying, and eventually when all your ducks line up, you'll be able to utilize your good fortune to the fullest. Shiren embodies the premise of an interesting article Gamasutra recently published; like Mega Man 9, Shiren is an experience that focuses on betterment of the player rather than of the player's in-game avatar.

Unfortunately, most gamers aren't interested in self-improvement, and Shiren tanked, so we won't be seeing its (even better) sequels. Personally, I'm just glad Sega was willing to take a chance on publishing this one in the U.S. to begin with -- it's easily one of the most compelling (and brilliantly designed) games to see release this year. Never mind that it was originally released 15 years ago on Super NES; great design is timeless.

Wanace

If anyone wants to rescue me as a favor, here's my code:

Code:
70XDZ YDC4 F8GD9
43QPX MCR5 YNQMK
!WJHF N!NP PNDT0
WZ!F1 TMWK C!J10

Died on level 15 of Cave Mountain Spirits I believe from a leveled up Kingny. I was ganged-up on by a few things but that's the only one that survived my onslaught and killed me.

I tried to get you twice (my first rescue attempts). That's about as far as I've gotten myself, though, and you cant stop at towns on a rescue mission, so...yeah :\ I will beat this game though! Good luck

Wanace

whiterabbit said:
I tried to get you twice (my first rescue attempts). That's about as far as I've gotten myself, though, and you cant stop at towns on a rescue mission, so...yeah :\ I will beat this game though! Good luck

I appreciate the effort. I'll just start again. :)

Compass

Banned
Awesome first post. Shiren DS was one of my favorite games this year, portable or otherwise. I still need to try some of the post-game stuff.

jarosh

alright, just started this game. i'm just looking for some general advice. no, i haven't read through the whole thread and i'm sure some of what i'm looking for can be found somewhere in those 30 pages. but it's a little overwhelming and i don't like spoilers anyway.

i've got soem experience with roguelikes and dungeon crawlers and i like the genre but there's certain things here that i can't quite figure out despite reading the (seriously lacking) manual and skimming through plenty of message board posts.

first off: saving. where do i restart when i quit? exactly where i left off? and despite characters in the game explaining the whole jar/item system i still don't think i get it. i played through the introduction dungeon and the first real dungeon and i'm now at the second village. when i head into the next dungeon will i lose all my items and experience? i suppose so. but what items should i try to save and where are the jars? if i lose all my hp i get thrown back to the very FIRST village? seriously? should i buy tons of rice balls in shops so i don't starve? is that how i'm supposed to stay full?

it just seems like i should know all this stuff at this point but i just don't. sorry for appearing so clueless. but maybe some kind soul can help me out here. i'd appreciate some general advice and some useful tips too...

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
My first bit of advice would be to suggest switching the forum page count from 50 to 100. Turns this thread's 30 pages to 15. Much less daunting! ;p

Teasel

jarosh said:
alright, just started this game. i'm just looking for some general advice. no, i haven't read through the whole thread and i'm sure some of what i'm looking for can be found somewhere in those 30 pages. but it's a little overwhelming and i don't like spoilers anyway.

i've got soem experience with roguelikes and dungeon crawlers and i like the genre but there's certain things here that i can't quite figure out despite reading the (seriously lacking) manual and skimming through plenty of message board posts.

first off: saving. where do i restart when i quit? exactly where i left off? and despite characters in the game explaining the whole jar/item system i still don't think i get it. i played through the introduction dungeon and the first real dungeon and i'm now at the second village. when i head into the next dungeon will i lose all my items and experience? i suppose so. but what items should i try to save and where are the jars? if i lose all my hp i get thrown back to the very FIRST village? seriously? should i buy tons of rice balls in shops so i don't starve? is that how i'm supposed to stay full?

it just seems like i should know all this stuff at this point but i just don't. sorry for appearing so clueless. but maybe some kind soul can help me out here. i'd appreciate some general advice and some useful tips too...

1. yes you restart exactly where you left off
2. nope you lose everything only if you die... if you return to the first village you lose your levels but you keep your items and money,i wouldn't suggest to do it tough the game is beatable without hoarding stuff
3. yes if you die you get thrown back to the very first village without any item or experience but that's part of the game... the dungeon is only
30 floor
long and it takes less than half a hour for a skilled player to clear,you still get to keep subquest progress and every item you save in the eventual warehouse anyway
4. shops don't always carry riceball around and there are inn who fill you back to full satiation on every village,still it's your choice if you want to hoarde riceballs but i don't think it's necessary to do so
5. jars just appear randomly and comes in two kinds... first kind effect other items when you put them in the jar,some example include the holding jar (you can put and pick item on it freely and as such it works as extra inventory space) the ID jar (identifies the item you put in it) the storehouse jar (the item you put in it goes straight to the warehouse where you can pick it up for future adventure's) and there are other but i shouldn't spoil them... note that with the exception of the holding jar the only way to get the item you put in a jar out of a jar is to either use a special scroll called extraction scroll on the jar or just pick the jar and break it by throwing it at a wall... the other kinds are simple normal item you use,you can recognize these because instead of a "put in" command they have a "push" command... just use push to get their effect

as for tips i could give you like a huuuuuuuge list of them but every single one of them would be spoilerish and as such i'm just going to give you a general one,don't be afraid of wasting item to save your hide,if you die you lose them all anyway oh and always hide in hallways... you don't ever want to get swarmed by monsters especialy when they start to get dangerous

Top Bottom