• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best roguelike on the DS - New official thread of you will buy Shiren DS

Teasel said:
there are 30 floors but if you are dying on floor 23 there is no point to continue...
at floor 30 there is a boss and he's a lot stronger and deadly than anything on floor 23

Hey, who knows what I'll find in a monster house along the way? I figure it is worth a try.

duckroll

Got raped on Floor 13 by a random tank that killed both my party members and leveled up in the process, I had a Mastersword too and just cleared a Monster House with some jars of holding and other goodies. >_<

Help! Thanks!

15LPJ FG0X B8G9!
0P9H4 Y367 SYTYJ
C0SCC 2!R8 MT46C
23NJ4 J38K RDB30

mattso

I haven't had the time to play much lately

I've been trying the food dungeon. Made it to the 10th floor last time I think before I bit the big one.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
I've been waiting 3 days for someone to rescue me over wifi, let's try a password!

7ZQK1 NY02 H8GQM
CXR4C JCCK !M349
0C5Y0 T84J TRDT0
97QT7 GL0S WV030

In the meantime I popped in Pokemon Mystery Dungeon :p

I would jump on these rescue requests, but I'm still waiting on that Ceremonial Cave rescue. Sorry guys.

Etrian Odyssey 2 is keeping me busy in the meantime.

stuminus3

I would just like to thank GAF for the very persuasive topic title. It's almost subliminal. I've been reading "you will buy Shiren DS" every day for the past couple of weeks. I finally broke down and actually did it. :lol

Seriously, I know the rougelike genre is a niche one that you cannot always depend on the gaming press to have much of a clue about, but this game is really, really awesome. It may be "70%" for someone who doesn't "get" it, but it's one of the most entertaining games I now have on DS.

Thank you GAF. :D

Tron 2.0

First time playing Shiren and I'm getting my ass handed to me.

Password:

ZPXWM 33C! F8VKM
JQVWG W2W2 7PQFH
!YS6B WY67 D1VS4
7TXKS 018C 3L030

You will be my hero forever!

I have been saved by "Rescue Dog"! (Whoever that is, bless him.) I'll either be finished with the dungeon in about an hour or dead. Either way, I'll get to one of the rescues in the thread afterwards.

I just pulled off what has to be the cheapest victory in the history of the Mysterious Dungeon franchise... but I did win and technically I didn't cheat.

duckroll, I'll start on your rescue in a few minutes.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Night_Trekker said:
I just pulled off what has to be the cheapest victory in the history of the Mysterious Dungeon franchise... but I did win and technically I didn't cheat.

Elaborate?

I can usually get up to floor 26-28 until the Death Angels start raping my ass. So right now, I'm preparing by gathering good items and equipment and storing it. I wish there were more stores.

Tempy said:
Elaborate?

I'll spoiler tag this just in case someone doesn't want to know how I did it. It's almost unfair.

The person who rescued me sent a Holding Jar full of Air Devil meat, which allows you to move around without being seen. I used a few pieces to get out of some tight situations on the way up to the 30th floor. I didn't think I was actually going to make it.

When I entered the last room I realized I wasn't going to survive a head on fight and I didn't have any scrolls on me, so to give myself more time to think and at least look around the room, I ate the last piece of Air Devil meat. What I didn't know is you can also attack while invisible and the enemies never fight back.

At that point my only danger was starving to death. My attacks were pretty weak and it took forever, but I killed every enemy in the room without taking a hit.

duckroll:

Code:
1R35H 7QYF QJNCJ
SKJ32 2T3J 9!!V3
8VVD4 3FFQ 4WDDV
Q0XXB CTL7 MH890

Tron 2.0 said:
First time playing Shiren and I'm getting my ass handed to me.

Password:

ZPXWM 33C! F8VKM
JQVWG W2W2 7PQFH
!YS6B WY67 D1VS4
7TXKS 018C 3L030

You will be my hero forever!

I'm bored so I'll try this one next.

EDIT:

Code:
CD6HL CVV3 KJXLC
D22KG Y3TK C!GLZ
SSSZN Y5T1 FLYWB
!GNB2 QWQL 8MMB0

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Gah! So I was wandering around floor 28 with a +18 Katana, +5 Iron Shield (are these good enough?), both plated, and with a Happy armband, when some knight shows up, hits me, my katana flies away, hitting and killing another monster behind me, but also destroying the katana.

Now I have no weapon on floor 28 and a strength of only 11. What should I do? :(

Tempted to just dump the shield, armband and other stuff into my storehouse jar and call it quits.

Undeux

I really want to like this game, but I'm just not sure I understand the point. I bust my ass to get treasure and get through the dungeons, then I die, lose the treasure I was holding, and redo it. I love the game sometimes, but most of the time it's just frustrating the hell out of me.

Teasel

Undeux said:
I really want to like this game, but I'm just not sure I understand the point. I bust my ass to get treasure and get through the dungeons, then I die, lose the treasure I was holding, and redo it. I love the game sometimes, but most of the time it's just frustrating the hell out of me.
ahahahahah i was like you when i played the game... it's pointless to see this game as a normal rpg,you don't play it to see a growth... you play it to become a better player,to outsmart the monster and to see what's there is after floor 20... most of the death can be avoided by using the right item (although i admit that there are part where bad luck can screw you up without hope) really don't be worried of wasting items,if you think you are going to die the next turn either use an item or flee until you regain enough HP so that your next turn isn't going to be fatal

Tempy said:
Gah! So I was wandering around floor 28 with a +18 Katana, +5 Iron Shield (are these good enough?), both plated, and with a Happy armband, when some knight shows up, hits me, my katana flies away, hitting and killing another monster behind me, but also destroying the katana.

Now I have no weapon on floor 28 and a strength of only 11. What should I do? :(

Tempted to just dump the shield, armband and other stuff into my storehouse jar and call it quits.

That's probably what I would do, but almost all of my successful runs have been surprises to me so... it's up to you. Dump the stuff you simply can't risk losing (any decent, extra equipment you don't need) for sure. If you have a lot of staves, you still have a pretty good shot.

And next time when you reach that floor, take it step by step. That's one of the most dangerous floors in the main quest.

Undeux said:

Shiren is ultimately about survival in a world with very strict rules. You get smarter, more resourceful and more efficient as you play and learn, and you really have to learn from mistakes to do that. But you can minimize loss by leaving important items in storehouses.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Night_Trekker said:
That's probably what I would do, but almost all of my successful runs have been surprises to me so... it's up to you. Dump the stuff you simply can't risk losing (any decent, extra equipment you don't need) for sure. If you have a lot of staves, you still have a pretty good shot.

And next time when you reach that floor, take it step by step. That's one of the most dangerous floors in the main quest.

I decided to continue onwards. Never found another weapon again though. Monsters took me like 4 hits instead of 1-2 to kill. I suppose I should have wandered around a bit longer in search of good items seeing as I had enough rice balls. Anyway, ended up at the boss level without a weapon and lacking any healing options or staves besides a doppleganger one. Had a bit of hope turning the boss into a fake Shiren and having the other monsters attack it, but alas, died anyway.

Does anybody have a guide of what prices identifies which staff/jar is available at stores?

Also, can you somehow send money to storage? I ended up with tons of money but nowhere to spend it on.

Tempy said:
Does anybody have a guide of what prices identifies which staff/jar is available at stores?

Someone posted a link to a complete listing of item buy/sell prices... somewhere in the thread.

Also, can you somehow send money to storage? I ended up with tons of money but nowhere to spend it on.

I haven't tried it, but if you put Gitans into a Storehouse Jar it will probably work.

lupin23rd

Just getting back into Shiren after playing through Super Robot Wars W, and I got the Melding Jar.

So just wanted to clarify a couple things:

I've got a Mastersword+9 I'm working on, and also a Mastersword+1. If I meld these together, do I get a Mastersword+10, or a does it gain +1 for each strength point of the second Mastersword as well (8 or 12?). Guess this applies to shields too...

Second, melding an Armor Ward + Hide gives me a normal shield, but melding a second Hide Shield gives me the slow hunger armor ward. Finally adding a Gold Shield to this gives me a slow hunger and non-rusting shield, correct?

I'll beat this game yet... and then move onto 3!

lupin23rd said:
I've got a Mastersword+9 I'm working on, and also a Mastersword+1. If I meld these together, do I get a Mastersword+10, or a does it gain +1 for each strength point of the second Mastersword as well (8 or 12?). Guess this applies to shields too...

In that situation you would end up with a Mastersword+10.

Second, melding an Armor Ward + Hide gives me a normal shield, but melding a second Hide Shield gives me the slow hunger armor ward. Finally adding a Gold Shield to this gives me a slow hunger and non-rusting shield, correct?

Correct. Alternately, you can use a Plating Scroll on any shield to give it rust resistance.

lupin23rd

Night_Trekker said:
In that situation you would end up with a Mastersword+10.

Correct. Alternately, you can use a Plating Scroll on any shield to give it rust resistance.

Thanks dude. So does the strength go up only by the + values then, or does melding any sword onto another just add 1 regardless?

lupin23rd said:
Thanks dude. So does the strength go up only by the + values then, or does melding any sword onto another just add 1 regardless?

Only by the + values. And melding a Mastersword with a Cudgel+1 will give you the same effect as melding a Mastersword with a Mastersword+1, since neither the Cudgel or the Mastersword has any special powers. (Remember that the first weapon/shield/staff you put into the jar will be the base weapon/shield/staff.)

Also keep in mind that Melding Jars are kind of rare and also consumable. If you have a weapon with a special effect like a Cyclops Killer, it might be more beneficial to meld that into your base weapon instead of a Mastersword +1 or whatever. It's up to you.

Tron 2.0

This game is continually kicking my ass. But it's so addicting and fun!

Please help. I died about the same place as last time...

ZPK1T TLZ8 880MN
J7DC1 F5X8 X1L8M
M6FR4 5YDY MRX5!
NDN28 7KHK HGT10

Thanks in advanced to anyone that can help.

Tron 2.0 said:
This game is continually kicking my ass. But it's so addicting and fun!

Please help. I died about the same place as last time...

ZPK1T TLZ8 880MN
J7DC1 F5X8 X1L8M
M6FR4 5YDY MRX5!
NDN28 7KHK HGT10

Thanks in advanced to anyone that can help.

I'll take it. I'll post the rescue password later today.

Uh... I forgot to delete your earlier rescue data, so I'm not sure which of these rescue codes will work. Try them both (and I won't make that mistake again):

Try this first:

Code:
R8DNT TR2R MJJ56
G6LVJ 5!R2 0WLSD
HWT17 3C02 PZJNG
2CHHH CHVF !LJC0

And if it doesn't work, try this one:

Code:
0B8QK 3963 NJ4!V
!3584 51BM CZJFK
YM2D7 WXJ3 CF6D3
6PMHJ 3GMX HGT90

I also discovered something interesting by accident during the rescue: if you throw a Jar of Hiding at an enemy, it will be sealed inside. I don't think it will escape until you attack the jar. I'm not sure if an enemy trapped in a jar could block a passage, but I think so.

Atilac said:
how many floors are in the game? 99? like the leaderboards say?

It depends on the dungeon. The main quest only has... well I can't remember, but it's 30-something, not counting the unlockable Tainted Path, which serves to extend the main quest for several more floors (I have no idea how long that dungeon is). I know the Final Puzzle has 99 floors.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Finally finished the main dungeon!

Had lots of good inventory, and after the last village I decided to go through the floors as fast as possible. There was no need to grind for levels or items, in fact I ran the risk of depleting my good items. Final boss wasn't much of a threat after reading 2 confusion scrolls and throwing a Hidden Jar at him. The final blow was actually done by one of the other monsters.

Anyway, I've got more dungeons to go through now.

Tron 2.0

Night_Trekker said:
Uh... I forgot to delete your earlier rescue data, so I'm not sure which of these rescue codes will work. Try them both (and I won't make that mistake again):

Try this first:

Code:
R8DNT TR2R MJJ56
G6LVJ 5!R2 0WLSD
HWT17 3C02 PZJNG
2CHHH CHVF !LJC0
That was the one.

Thanks again for your help.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
I was suddenly struck by the mood to play me some shiren, but it looks like everyone has already been rescued =\

somebody saaaaaaaaaave me!

ZNCQX KY6J 986R5
LXVTR C!TN 7JZ43
QZ670 0BWM FX9VW
36636 NFCN FC!10

pretty please? Don't care how you do it.

Man this game is merciless, a guy just smashed my item jar! I was ready to kill the crazy old man, I mean seriously!

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
you get 3 rescue chances. After you use those 3 rescue opportunities, you can't be rescued anymore until you die or complete the dungeon.

Raiden

Banned
What the shit, ive realised it before, but bah im no hardcore gamer, no way i would ever want to play a game, put my time and efforts into building the character, and when i die i have nothing .....NOTHING???

Thats how it works right?

lo zaffo

Prime crotch said:

ZNCQX KY6J 986R5
LXVTR C!TN 7JZ43
QZ670 0BWM FX9VW
36636 NFCN FC!10

Man this game is merciless, a guy just smashed my item jar! I was ready to kill the crazy old man, I mean seriously!
I tried the best I could for three times, but I failed, I'm very sorry.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
Prime crotch said:

ZNCQX KY6J 986R5
LXVTR C!TN 7JZ43
QZ670 0BWM FX9VW
36636 NFCN FC!10

naked rescue success! What the hell were you fighting with? I found 0 weapons on this run except for a club which was an enemy drop.

4D9B! 5B5! MJB41
F18B6 XF2Y SKRVS
HLD0N 083W NF0VR
4X7VS KCSP 1R8B0

Prime crotch said:
The whole dungeon?! Like, the entire game?
yes, although keep in mind this isn't an rpg that takes days to finish. Its more like a difficult arcade game, where if you do it right you can beat it pretty quickly and if you die and are out or quarters you start over from the beginning. Getting rescued is like having your friend put in a quarter at the continue screen for you. Your friend has 3 quarters which get replenished every time you start over.

slayn said:
naked rescue success! What the hell were you fighting with? I found 0 weapons on this run except for a club which was an enemy drop.

4D9B! 5B5! MJB41
F18B6 XF2Y SKRVS
HLD0N 083W NF0VR
4X7VS KCSP 1R8B0

yes, although keep in mind this isn't an rpg that takes days to finish. Its more like a difficult arcade game, where if you do it right you can beat it pretty quickly and if you die you start over from the beginning.
Thanks, I was killed on some kind of monster filled room.

This thread has been strangely silent. Where is everyone?

Prime crotch said:
The whole dungeon?! Like, the entire game?

Just the current dungeon run. If you quit and start a new run, you have three more rescue opportunities.

EDIT: slayn got it, never mind.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Night_Trekker said:
This thread has been strangely silent. Where is everyone?

Well, thread should get bumped once that all of we euro Gaffers get our copies from GAME.co.uk (£5 sale!) in the mailbox.
I know I will, so be prepared to come and rescue my ass :p

I really love the inventive nature of this game, it kinda sucks that I have no way to preserve my equipment early in the game though.
I do have a few questions though, I already got my "lil bro" and the blinding chick as party members but they died and so did I. How can I recruit them back?

lemmming

I kinda just ran into them once more and then they offered to join again :)

so far I only got to... floor 18 or 19 I think. general advice, anyone?

Top Bottom