• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best roguelike on the DS - New official thread of you will buy Shiren DS

sasimirobot

Hey thanks guys. If this thread didn't pop up every other day I would not have given this game a chance.

It took a long time to get into. It took me about 4-5 hours before I "got it".

so how do rescue requests work, do I have to type out the whole code?

zz1kq xzfx c8zh3
jtbw3 qll6 qyjxb
c2htj x032 yf7dc
z3m4k 77vs qwh10

or Wi-Fi
0000-0000-6092

??

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
So, in bungee jumping... Sometimes I get exp, and other times I get into a dungeon. What's the deal with it?

ElFly

LordGek said:
I hear you and it is this very incessant hoarding that FORCED ME into finally making a run at the Ceremonial Caves if for no other reason but to finally use up some of my stuff.

My current huge problem seems to come via monster meat hoarding. I have many pots of holding filled with various monster meats that I just can't bring myself to use or toss away.

Man, the last time I decided to use monster meat in the main dungeon...I threw it at an Inferno. The meat burned out when it touched it, doing nothing :(

Teasel

Error said:
So, in bungee jumping... Sometimes I get exp, and other times I get into a dungeon. What's the deal with it?
there are 2 bungee jumping spots... the one on the left is the entrance of the ravine of deathm,the one on the right which you access by paying 500 gitan to butasan is the experience one (not really a spoiler but i don't know if you want to know)
note that there is a small chance that you can die while doing the experience bungee jumping... those release aren't just a funny joke

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
I got to floor 12, tried to test my luck... Against a Sleep Radish, bad move I know. haha.

The thing is I had a couple of postpone staves, I had already landed a hit on the thing so the next hit was surely going to kill it. I was free of his damn sleeping herbs with around 35 of HP, and instead of using the staff I decided to attack... And I MISSED. That was the end of my run. :(

One dumb move...

LordGek

ElFly said:
Hey LordGek. How do Baroque and Shiren compare? I love Shiren and I've been thinking of buying Baroque.

I thought it was pretty fun.

The story is a little over the top and pretentious at times and the camera controls take a little getting used to (I STRONGLY recommend you do this with the Classic Controller). If you can get past the camera wrestling the game has some VERY COOL monsters and item variety. I really like how, much like Shiren, almost every creature has some special ability to mess with you. Also original in this game is how some levels have "Environmental Hazards" built into the levels. These can be puddles of poison on the ground, steam vents, pressure pads that if stepped on will fire off a fireball down the hall, and a few other tricks. What makes these neat is that the baddies are also effected by these and you can use these built in traps against them. Another warning, while a lot of the story and dialog won't make a lot of sense at first, try to make a point to talk to all of the NPCs in town and the ones you find in the dungeon to progress the story. The Tower will have to be cleared multiple times and will grow in size after a few runs...if you had cleared it several times (I don't recall the exact number) and it is not growing you may be missing some key NPC dialog.

I think WHY it got dissed so hard was that:
-Average Gamers couldn't handle the concept of not being able to keep their experience and levels when they died (annoying but since the game plays quickly, you'll get all of that experience back in your next run which, at it's longest is probably only a couple of hours to clear the tower). What might be a little weird, even by Shiren standards, is that you'll lose all non-stored equipment even if you clear it successfully.
-Action Gamers would find the action pretty weak as there is no ability to dodge attacks (actually you can, sort of, once you get the movement down but, no, there is no "dodge move" per se), and a whopping two type of attacks per equipped weapon (Hell, that's decent by roguelike standars). Also the character and monster animations, while pretty smooth, are clearly not as fluid or responsive as something like Devil May Cry or God of War.
-Roguelike Gamers often didn't like the concept of switching over to real time. I myself, once I had the controls down, thought it was cool enough. It never got too arcadey but at the same time definitely kept you on your toes.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Armed with the hints in this thread, I set off last night with renewed courage! Right after the first town I found a Jar of Change with 5 slots! After poking some weeds, a few arrows, and a plain jane Armor Ward, I ended up with a bunch of staves of various qualities, and a Drain Sword!

My luck kept coming, as I found a few Air scrolls and with the help of the blacksmith, as well as a roving blacksmith, I quickly had a Drain Sword +4 and a Bronzeshield +2, coupled with a plating scroll. I was ready for some slimes baby! Oddly enough, I never find many Armbands, but I found one not soon thereafter that was an Anti-Rust version, which I had never even seen before, but that I found highly ironic after all my upgrades. This went into the village storeroom.

So anyway, I was teamed up with the masseuse and the Oryu chick. Alas, my luck ran out when not one but TWO Chain-heads accosted us on 17f (I think it was) and raped me and the masseuse before I could get off a blastwave, due to a confusion trap.

This game is so awesome.

sasimirobot

0000-0000-6123
help

my first monster house killed me!

ps.
how do avoid the tank in the puzzle with the clue
"tanks destroy more than just walls"??

fluxcap

Neo Member
sasimirobot said:
0000-0000-6123
help

my first monster house killed me!

ps.
how do avoid the tank in the puzzle with the clue
"tanks destroy more than just walls"??

If the tank has a straight shot at you, it will kill you. If you're next to a wall that it has a straight shot at, it will shoot the wall and kill you with the splash damage. You get 2 moves for every 1 move of the tank, so use that to your advantage.

If you really need it, you can see the solution (with screenshots showing where the tank can hit) here: http://www.onewhowaits.com/shiren/fay10.html

Edit: You've been rescued.

mattso

sasimirobot said:
thanks!
wtf?? my game froze and had to reset. $^*88!
happened to me before. really sucks. made me lose my melding jar :(

just picked this game up tonight after a couple of weeks hiatus. thought "oh i'll play 10 minutes before bed"

which turned into me getting all the way to table mountain and dying of course

I was doing pretty well, but right before table mt. a damn ooze came and rusted the hell out the equipment I had and made it so oryu had so little strength she only did 1 damage when she attacked... so she died to a sabregator and I was pretty much doomed from that point.

sasimirobot

melding jar. yeah I had one of those too. I was on a serious roll. This game is like betting on cards.

Good nights, bad nights, but you always come back for more, no matter what the punishment.

mattso

inspired by the shiren 3 videos I decided to clean out my warehouse in canyon hamlet full of crap I've been saving for god knows what and I'm going to give it my all

Here's to hoping if I die, it's a fantastic death considering I have 2 scrolls of need on me and a bunch of chiropractic jars in other warehouses I'm going to pick up along the way.

edit: make that one scroll of need. freaking rice changers...

edit 2: and i'm already dead. i was switching between an armor ward+2 for fighting and a hide shield for just walking around. a damn evil soldier managed to level up to evil shogun because I kept getting zapped all the way across the level by a skull mage. so I get to him and he was blocking the only path to the exit. I use a scroll of confusion, a power up scroll, and try my best killing him. He does 19 damage when he does hit me, I have 21 hp so I think i'm safe to keep attacking until I get hit again... he hits me again and I die.

mattso

I made it so far uggggh

will someone please rescue me? I'm in the phantom trials and I even have a sickle slayer+2 but I went to heal and accidentally attacked and died the next turn

BMGQC 3MWN H8LR8
GCVV5 !2P0 !2KXH
YT51L JKFB D5YJJ
2BBWR 3P2! Z3B20

I found really good equipment too. I have a mastersword+4, armor ward, rustless armband, and some other good things like a chiropractic jar with a few uses left and a scroll of need.

I really thought I'd beat it this time :(

So after waiting for nearly a month for a rescue in the Final Puzzle, a mysterious stranger named Amee saved me not once, but twice... and I still bought it in the end and finally gave up. (I'm extremely irritated that the game doesn't save the info on your furthest run if you tried to get a rescue and canceled. I think I got to floor 54.) I have my doubts I'll ever beat it.

Now I'm trying the Ceremonial Cave... and waiting, again, for a rescue there from floor 20 or 30-something. The "adventure while awaiting rescue" option is nice in theory but I wish they had included a temporary save option for those. Not being able to enter towns or complete story objectives is punishment enough.

mattso

rescue meeeeeeeeee

fuck it. I want to play. I'll just be a man and start over.

edit again: someone random revived me over wifi! yayyy! time for me to make it 10 steps and probably die again!

next floor: monster house. Scroll of need and chiropractic jar get me through
next floor: I postpone every monster I see pretty much, so I only have to 2 or 3 to kill at the end

and I died in front of the tainted insect. I paralyzed it but I didn't have any time to deal with the rest and I got turned into a freaking riceball.

mattso

I beat all 50 of fays puzzles and got the lovely 3 blank scrolls. Any advice what I should write on them? I'm thinking making them removal scrolls and hoping to god that being able to take out 3 kinds of enemies (or 2 and one scroll of need) will let me finally beat this game.

mattso said:
I beat all 50 of fays puzzles and got the lovely 3 blank scrolls. Any advice what I should write on them? I'm thinking making them removal scrolls and hoping to god that being able to take out 3 kinds of enemies (or 2 and one scroll of need) will let me finally beat this game.

I still haven't used mine :lol

But remember, Scrolls of Removal only remove one family of enemies per run. If you use another Scroll of Removal on another enemy type, the first type will return. And I think using any of those Blank Scrolls for the main quest is a complete waste, to be honest. It's tough but not impossible with good equipment and enough knowledge. The scrolls are going to be more useful on the Tainted Path (or one of the other extra dungeons that allows you to bring items in) when you finally decide to use them.

mattso

Night_Trekker said:
I still haven't used mine :lol

But remember, Scrolls of Removal only remove one family of enemies per run. If you use another Scroll of Removal on another enemy type, the first type will return. And I think using any of those Blank Scrolls for the main quest is a complete waste, to be honest. It's tough but not impossible with good equipment and enough knowledge. The scrolls are going to be more useful on the Tainted Path (or one of the other extra dungeons that allows you to bring items in) when you finally decide to use them.
it wont let me write removal on them anyways for whatever reason.

so I guess for now I'll let them sit, or just turn one into a scroll of need possibly..

I want to beat this so bad, ugh! I was so close.

mattso said:
it wont let me write removal on them anyways for whatever reason.

so I guess for now I'll let them sit, or just turn one into a scroll of need possibly..

I want to beat this so bad, ugh! I was so close.

You need to have found a Scroll of Removal in the game before and... either used it on an enemy or read it, I'm not sure which. Scrolls of Removal are very rare but I think they show up more often in the Final Puzzle dungeon. I found one the other day and accidentally read it instead of throwing it. Ugh...

But again, you don't need to use these scrolls for the main quest. I just ran through Table Mountain again the other day and let me tell you, after spending some time in the Final Puzzle, you come to see just how comparatively mild the main quest is.

My advice, for what it's worth: stockpile some staves and store them in Jars of Holding. I wouldn't have beaten Table Mountain without doing that. Both times I cleared the main quest I had average equipment (Katanas, I think, and Iron Shields).

mattso

I mean I made it to the tainted insect, I just had nothing I could deal with all the other monsters when I got there left. Staffs of postpone could only get me so far I suppose

dock

I just started playing Shiren, mostly due to this thread of joy (and partially due to Jeremy Perish's impressions on Retronauts). I'm enjoying it so far, although I'm a bit worried about how I'll take my first death! :)

My friend code is 3179-7268-3527, just for the record.

I've put 23 hours into this game and still haven't beat it. I was on my best run ever last night and ran in to 3 fucking monster houses between 10 and 18. I got past the first 2 and got greedy in the 3rd and got ate by a chainhand guy. God damnit!!

This and Etrian Odyssey kick my ass in so many ways, it's fucking glorious!

JHarris

mattso, did you have a Doppelganger staff?
The cool thing about the Tainted Insect is, if he dies, all the other monsters on the floor instantly die too. So if you Doppelganger him and other monsters kill him, they kill themselves in the process.

dock

I love Fay's training mission 'puzzles', they're fantastic.

Are the rewards always the same, or are they randomised?
I presume you can only get the reward for these once, right?

fluxcap

Neo Member
dock UK said:
I love Fay's training mission 'puzzles', they're fantastic.

Are the rewards always the same, or are they randomised?
I presume you can only get the reward for these once, right?
They're random. You can keep getting rewards no matter how many times you do them.

Ranger X

Just wondering if you rogue fans have tried Orcs And Elves (DS).

This is a very cool rogue like in first person. ID software. Very old school and nice.

bah made it to the 25th floor and died (damn megataur) Can someone rescue me?

Password:
8T6TM B!R1 886W3
XT05V LK7T ZMGX4
P52XN TCD0 Z7NH2
YXMBP YDRC 45P00

dock

YaSeeTheoo said:

Password:
8T6TM B!R1 886W3
XT05V LK7T ZMGX4
P52XN TCD0 Z7NH2
YXMBP YDRC 45P00
I tried, but it turns out I need to have visited that floor once already before it will let me. Sorry!

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Every time this thread gets bumped it puts a smile on my face. I still play Shiren every single day, even if it's for 15 minutes. I'm now at around 22 hours on the clock and have never been past 18F or so. Every time I die, though, I know it's my fault. Getting too greedy on a Monster House, using my last Dragon's Breath on an Inferno (only did that once, obviously!), or having my shit rusted to hell and back because I never ran into a Plating Scroll before the swamp... the list goes on and on.

My current run is shaping up to be a good one. I found a RazorWind+1 very early on, which I upgraded to +2 already, and have been mowing things down. Of course I probably just jinxed myself to drop into a MH surrounded by 3 Chainheads...

dock

Hm, okay, I think I'm sucking at this game a bit. Does anyone have any good basic tips? Is there any way for me to transfer un-needed items back to the warehouse?

Teasel

dock UK said:
Hm, okay, I think I'm sucking at this game a bit. Does anyone have any good basic tips? Is there any way for me to transfer un-needed items back to the warehouse?
either talk to certain NPC (they wear a white headband and carry what looks like a hoe) or put the item into a warehouse jar
as for tips...
- use diagonal movement to spare food... your food point decrease of 1 for every 10 turn you take... if you want to horde food talk to the barkeeper at the start and then immediately return to the village
- test your unknown staff on enemies... when a staff loses all it's charges you can get a last charge out of it by throwing at the enemy
- that swap staff is usefull even if it doesn't kill stuff
- do the fey puzzle... you'll learn a lot
- don't horde item... if you feel you are going to die your next turn either escape or use a item
- if an enemy kills another enemy it will rank up and become stronger so be carefull around monster with ranged attack
- have fun
slighty spoilerish stuff
- unequip stuff when fighting slimes
- be carefull of minotaurs,their attack can hurt a lot
- dark eye can easily be killed if you wait for them on a hallway
- be scared of gazes,be VERY scared of red dressed skeleton mages
- you can use hit and run techinique with tanks as long as you aren't near a wall (otherwise the tank will just shot the wall and the blast will hit you anyway)
- the robot stop for a while after mounting a trap... that's a good time to get some hit

i can't think of any other basic tip so let's go for the more advanced one... i will put this on spoiler because i don't know if anybody else want to know them
- money is a powerfull weapon... if you throw it at a enemy you'll do 10% of that pack of money so 300 money causes 30 damage which is quite a lot
- healing item hurts undead... if you encounter a powerfull one chuck one of your healing herb at it
- chucking riceball instantly kill any riceball changer enemy
- that said you can get quite a big experience boost if you let the general posses an undead enemy or riceball enemy and then kill him with a healing item/riceball or if you have them posses some unoffensive monster like the thief or slime family
- if you step on a mine trap and monster are around you the monster will get instantly killed... a mine trap can save your ass (exception - doesn't work on flame monster) likewise a trapdoor trap can be seen as stairs (as long as you aren't going up)

mattso

JHarris said:
mattso, did you have a Doppelganger staff?
The cool thing about the Tainted Insect is, if he dies, all the other monsters on the floor instantly die too. So if you Doppelganger him and other monsters kill him, they kill themselves in the process.
no sadly. there have been a few runs where I had one of those or a mamel meat saved for it, but I didn't this time. The only staff I had I'm pretty sure were several staff of postpones.

Oh well. I haven't played in a few days since I beat the 50 fay's puzzles, I needed a break from having my ass handed to me. Maybe tonight I'll try again.

mattso

YaSeeTheoo said:

Password:
8T6TM B!R1 886W3
XT05V LK7T ZMGX4
P52XN TCD0 Z7NH2
YXMBP YDRC 45P00
I decided to give it a try. Can't guarantee anything.

edit: question? do I get to keep stuff I find on a rescue if I complete it? I just found that armband that gives you exp as you walk around I'd like to keep..

edit 2: and a storehouse jar? Man how come I never had runs where I found stuff this good but I go on a rescue and now I do..

mattso

and youve been rescued

M7D62 WTDS JJZ2H
VZYPM BGKX 3832L
8P8L7 PDJT ZPMYH
73S9Y 8R8! KBMC0

I walked into the monster house you were in, thought I was gonna die too and decided to lead the monsters all the way around the map. They eventually ganged up on me when a "someone" blocked my path but the scroll of need I found fixed that problem. Made it to you with like 30 hp left..

I had the most strength ever on your rescue. 13.

my reward: antidote herb...

I get to keep my plated katana +2 and bronzeward+5 though which is nice. The happy armband is cursed so I need to go hunting for a scroll of blessing (or waste one of my blank scrolls if I get fed up...)

sadly the storehouse jar broke when I hit a stumble trap..

mattso said:
and youve been rescued

M7D62 WTDS JJZ2H
VZYPM BGKX 3832L
8P8L7 PDJT ZPMYH
73S9Y 8R8! KBMC0

I walked into the monster house you were in, thought I was gonna die too and decided to lead the monsters all the way around the map. They eventually ganged up on me when a "someone" blocked my path but the scroll of need I found fixed that problem. Made it to you with like 30 hp left..

I had the most strength ever on your rescue. 13.

my reward: antidote herb...

I get to keep my plated katana +2 and bronzeward+5 though which is nice. The happy armband is cursed so I need to go hunting for a scroll of blessing (or waste one of my blank scrolls if I get fed up...)

sadly the storehouse jar broke when I hit a stumble trap..

Awesome thank you! At least you got gear better then the reward.

mattso

YaSeeTheoo said:
Awesome thank you! At least you got gear better then the reward.
yeah I'm hoping to upgrade the katana a little and take the curse off the happy armband and then try to conquer table mountain once more

good luck to you let us know how it goes

mattso said:
yeah I'm hoping to upgrade the katana a little and take the curse off the happy armband and then try to conquer table mountain once more

good luck to you let us know how it goes

Well got to floor 28 saw the stairs, carefully moved my way towards them, had 39 health and a Death Angel came out of no where and killed me. Oh well looks like I will have to start over again. Thanks again for the rescue.

Teasel said:
- healing item hurts undead... if you encounter a powerfull one chuck one of your healing herb at it
- chucking riceball instantly kill any riceball changer enemy

What the hell. I knew neither of those things. This is a game that keeps on giving, for sure :lol

I've put over 87 hours (!) into this game so far and it still keeps surprising me. I can't wait for the remake of the GB game.

mattso

YaSeeTheoo said:
Well got to floor 28 saw the stairs, carefully moved my way towards them, had 39 health and a Death Angel came out of no where and killed me. Oh well looks like I will have to start over again. Thanks again for the rescue.
it's amazing how much this game beats us down yet we keep coming back for more.

mattso said:
it's amazing how much this game beats us down yet we keep coming back for more.

That's because it's tough but fair. If you die it's probably your fault, which is something I love about it. Not many games dare to be that strict and tough on the player anymore.

dock

Thanks for the tips Teasel! I'll see how far I can get this time. I'm being much more cautious and stocking up on riceballs and herbs this time through, that's for sure! ^_^

The 'hold R to do diagonals only' doesn't seem to be working for me. Am I doing something wrong? Pressing R doesn't seem to do anything at all. Same goes for 'L to shoot arrows' actually.

mattso

dock UK said:
Thanks for the tips Teasel! I'll see how far I can get this time. I'm being much more cautious and stocking up on riceballs and herbs this time through, that's for sure! ^_^

The 'hold R to do diagonals only' doesn't seem to be working for me. Am I doing something wrong? Pressing R doesn't seem to do anything at all. Same goes for 'L to shoot arrows' actually.
I don't know anything about the holding R bit. When I need to do diagonal movement and don't want to risk using the d-pad (sometimes it doesnt work) I use the touch pad

to use L to shoot arrows you have to equip them first

mattso

Night_Trekker said:
That's because it's tough but fair. If you die it's probably your fault, which is something I love about it. Not many games dare to be that strict and tough on the player anymore.
well, except for when something like you get two monster houses in a row happens..

I just realized using a scroll of sleep makes enemies go faster when they wake up, I wish I had known that earlier.

Teasel

dock UK said:

you have to equip arrow on the menu before being able to shot them with L and you have to move while keeping R pressed

dock

My Rescue Code:

RJ9ZK 4BJ8 F88Y9
TPH5M SX!3 86D1Z
14BKD S!PH 0LZ02
VBV6Z R6VM MZT20

Rescue me pleeeease! I was on floor 12, and got killed by inferno. I thought I was doing great, but I fell into a pit and was surrounded. Need to be more careful about traps in future.

mattso said:
edit again: someone random revived me over wifi! yayyy!
If I leave my DS on, and connected to Wi-Fi, can random people rescue me?

How do I rescue random people?

LordGek

dock UK said:
My Rescue Code:

RJ9ZK 4BJ8 F88Y9
TPH5M SX!3 86D1Z
14BKD S!PH 0LZ02
VBV6Z R6VM MZT20

Rescue me pleeeease! I was on floor 12, and got killed by inferno. I thought I was doing great, but I fell into a pit and was surrounded. Need to be more careful about traps in future.

If I leave my DS on, and connected to Wi-Fi, can random people rescue me?

How do I rescue random people?

No need to leave you system on!

When you send out a Wi-Fi Rescue Request it's just like you've posted your job on some bulletin board (like this one) on Sega's server. All you need to do after that is check in occasionally to see if anybody has made the rescue and sent you a revival (much like checking your email).

Top Bottom