• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best stand up comedians

Status
Not open for further replies.
plenty of great ones mentioned but ive yet to see John Leguizamo mentioned...great great story teller

\/ edit
he has been mentioned no less then 10 times

JGS

Banned
My favorites have been mentioned, but Wanda Sykes was hilarious on her HBO special.

She is the funniest woman I've heard.

Actually she's the funniest gay person too & I say that since so much of the humor was based on that - especially the coming out parts.

Mitch Hedberg
Steven Wright
Jim Gaffigan
Zach Galifianakis (From what I've seen)
Dmitri Martin's first album, haven't really enjoyed Important Things.

Pelydr

mediocrity at its best
Man I miss Mitch Hedberg.

Anyway talking about people of the last decade or so I love David Cross, Zach Galifianakis, Patton Oswalt and Eugene Mirman. Newly, I really like Aziz Ansari, Donald Glover, and Daniel tosh.

Yeef said:
TOP TIER
George Carlin
Lewis Black
Richard Pryor
Bill Hicks
Mitch Hedberg

HIGH TIER

Dave Chapplle
David Cross
Rodney Dangerfield
Christopher Titus
Redd Foxx

MID TIER
Louis C.K.
Chris Rock
Brian Regan
Bill Cosby
Pretty much! Fuck yes on Pryor (the undisputed best) also Titus, man I miss him.

+ Pablo Fransisco
- Lewis Black

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
billhicks.jpg

Ummm, Mr. Hicks, are you at all familiar with a Manuel from Showtime Adult Video World?

Oh Shit! Manny!

Mr. Hicks! They subpoena me! They subpoena me!

Druz

I don't know why people are saying Pablo Fransescos is as good as these other comics, he has one bit that is funny and reuses it every chance he gets - he has been doing the same bit for YEARS, he wasn't even able to get onto last comic standing.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Are you being cute or are you actually an amateur stand up comedian?
If the answer is yes, feel free to post your material so we can check it out. Seriously.

Tobor said:
Bill Hicks, George Carlin, Lenny Bruce, Richard Pryor, Andy Kaufman, Sam Kinison, Rodney Dangerfield, and Don Rickles.

It only took 13 posts to get the true masters listed.

George Carlin had such a profound influence on my life.

JCX

Snuggler said:
Are you being cute or are you actually an amateur stand up comedian?
If the answer is yes, feel free to post your material so we can check it out. Seriously.

Yes, I am an amateur stand up comedian, but I won't post anything yet.

George Carlin (RIP) is the only one that has made me hurt myself laughing. Some of his HBO shows I can watch over and over and still laugh like crazy. The man was a comic genius, and also had some very intelligent things to say.

Lebron

Top Favs
Richard Pryor(The King)
Chris Rock
Bill Cosby
Eddie Murphy

Hit and Miss Favs
Martin Lawrence
Dave Chappelle
Steve Harvey
Redd Foxx
Paul Mooney
Cedric The Entertainer
Bernie Mac

Gallager.....yes I`m serious.
Doug Stanhope
Joe Rogan
Sean Kinison
Katt Williams
Jerry Seinfeld
Martin Lawrence
Red Foxx
Robin Williams

Some of my favs. I love comedy so I can't list 'em all. Some others have been mentioned already so I didn't bother listing.

spliced

I tend to get tired of them quickly. Some that I've seen on tv fairly recently that I liked:

Jeff Caldwell
Brian Kiley
Mike Birbiglia

Shiroi-San said:
I like a lot of stand up, but some of my favorites are...

Jim Gaffigan
Brian Regan
Demetri Martin
Zach Galifianakis
Dave Chappelle
George Carlin
Mitch Headburg

I agree wholeheatedly with this list. But, I would add Louis C.K.

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
Snuggler said:
Yeah Steven Wright is great.
I just noticed that my youtube link was busted, here it is:
Steven Wright Gets a Phone
If you find him funny you should check out Jim Jarmusch's Coffee and Cigarettes, he has a really funny scene with Robert Benigni in it.
Strange to Meet You
The RZA/GZA Bill Murray scene is amazing as well.

Yeah, I have seen all of his films. I just realized I also like Johnathon Katz and I got into most of my favorite comedians from Dr. Katz.

George Carlin and Jimmy Carr are the only stand-up comedians who make me laugh without fail. Never found anyone else as funny as them.

Chris Rock's early stuff was quite good, though.

Chojin

Carlin
Patton Oswalt
Bill Hicks
Lewis Black (how could I forget!)
and
I'll admit I like David Cross

I'm not at all original I guess.

Back in college (97) I rocked Denis Leary all the TIME, god I can't listen to any of shit anymore though.

Edit: Oh Bill Cosby will always crack me up though. He's like so not like other stand up but I love all his shit.

Edit Edit: Back in the 80s that HBO special with Howie Mandell rocked my cock, though I was only 7 I dunno how funny it would be now. But him asking an old man if he's daughters ever saw a dick before? At 7 thats fucking comedy gold.

Louis C.K.
Chris Rock
Patton Oswalt
Jim Gaffigan even though he relies a little too much on the fake audience reaction thing.
Lewis Black
Brian Regan (MAN-SLAUGHTER!!!!!)
(The late, great) George Carlin

Mini-rant:

The Dane Cooks, Larry the Cable Guys, and Carlos Mencias of stand-up aside, I really, really cannot stand Gabriel Iglesias. We get it. You're fat, a really, really fat Latino living in California. STFU already.

A lot of really good mentioned. So I'll mention some that could use a little more attention

Jim Jefferies
Patrice O'neal
Otto and George
Bill Burr
Joel McHale

flyover

Matt said:
Eddie Izzard.
Yes. He is the king.

That said, I saw him earlier this year, and his set wasn't as good as on previous tours. He's still better than anyone else, though -- if only because he sells his jokes visually better than anyone else.

Louis C.K. is great, too. And even though Brian Regan has been doing the same tired material for over twenty years, he is a superpro in action.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom