• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best stand up comedians

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bill Bailey
Billy Connolly
Dylan Moran
Dave Gorman
Dara O'Briain
Al Murray
Jimmy Carr
Noel Fielding
Russel Howard
Frankie Boyle

Hmm .. I like quite a few. Lenny Bruce, Bill Bailey, Jack Dee, Billy Connolly, Jasper Carrott, Bill Hicks AND Denis Leary (yes, both of them! Shock! Horror!), Steven Wright, Chris Rock, George Carlin, Rich Hall, Al Murray just off the top of my head. All these guys have had me laughing my arse off loads.

PolarDoc22

Neo Member
George Carlin, Mitch Hedberg, Eugene Mirman, Louis CK, Eddie Izzard, Jim Gaffigan, Ben Bailey, Joe Rogan, Dave Chappelle, Jimmy Carr... the only ones I like, pretty much.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
my stand up taste is a rotating buffet, right now i'm loading my plate up with doug stanhope.

he's like if bill hicks wasn't really a people person.

LQX

I had no idea Louis C.K was this popular. So many have him down. I didn't hear of him until his HBO series.

For me George Carlin is in a complete league of his own. No other stand up makes me laugh as much as him. All his HBO specials from "What Am I Doing in New Jersey?" to his last one are comedy gold, especially "Jammin' in New York" and "Back in Town" my favorites and the best stand up I've seen.

Other great stand ups: Eddie Murphy, Chris Rock, Dave Chappelle and Mitch Hedberg

Eddie Izzard (particular early 90s until about 99, he's not as brilliant as he once was it's gone down a bit from circle onward but anything before that is insanely good. I'd particulary recommend Live at Ambassadors if u can get it, it's his earliest published but it's raw and awesome.)

Bill Hicks, slightly terrifying how his comedy remained incrediblely relevent nearly 20 years later, my favourite of all time because he believed what he said and he made it fucking funny.

George Carlin
Richard Pryor
Eddie Murphy (for a brief time in the 80s)
Mitch Hedberg (who was sadly funnier as a drug addict)
Mike Wilmot
Louie Ck
Bill Bailey, avoid his most recent though, Tinselworm is god awful.
Stewart Lee
Billy Connolly

I dunno about Sam Kinison, I've listened to a bit of his stuff and I don't find it particulary fun. He seems to be applying the American technique of just shout stuff loudly to get laughs. Bill Hicks is my favourite of all time and he gets compared to Kinison but I don't see it, other than the time period and them both being dead.

I hate the show, but I think Daniel Tosh is fucking hilarious in stand up.

I'm also going to be conceited and say I'm a fan of myself! I'm an up and coming stand up comedian, just started a couple of months ago. Hopefully I'll be able to get close to a city soon and start hitting up some comedy clubs to practice my shit.

element

me-1.jpg

Mitch!! Poor Mitch. This is from his last show in Seattle. I got to run on stage and get a photo with him :(

Bill Hicks, Norm MacDonald, Richard Jeni, Lewis Black, Eddie Murphey

OH YEAH.

Gilbert Gottfried

Anyone who isn't familiar with his actual stand up comedy should go see a show. He doesn't often perform outside of the New York area though. There was his Dirty Jokes special which was great, but it isn't his usual act. I'd suggest you watch that anyway.

I think Gilbert Gottfried is my favorite living comedian.

Mudkips

Banned
Tobor said:
Bill Hicks, George Carlin, Lenny Bruce, Richard Pryor, Andy Kaufman, Sam Kinison, Rodney Dangerfield, and Don Rickles.

Hey look, a post that isn't filled with shitty comics that only appeal to dumb college kids!
(I said it!)

Anyone who says that they think Lenny Bruce is the funniest comedian or their favorite is a lying douche.

Influential? Absolutely. Ground breaking. Brilliant. All of those things.

But if you listen to his stuff now it is very, very, very dated and barely comprehensible.

ChryZ

I really love:

Russell Peters
Bill Hicks
Chris Rock
Patton Oswalt
Ron White
Nick Swardson
Bill Engvall
Lewis Black

Could OP count the votes at some point?

I would love to scout for the first recommended Stand-Up guys. I don't which DVDs to buy... So many to choose from!:lol

GhaleonQ

Vigilant Walrus said:
Could OP count the votes at some point?

I would love to scout for the first recommended Stand-Up guys. I don't which DVDs to buy... So many to choose from!:lol

That would just find the mean. Instead, search for those whom you know you like on YouTube/pirate wherever and check out that person's recommendations. Most people favor a certain kind of humor or a certain "class" of comedians (you can tell who the Comedy Central people are, who the club people are, who the transgressive fans are)

Tamanon

Banned
Patton Oswalt
Jim Gaffigan
Dmitri Martin
Zach Galifinakis

There really aren't too many up and coming comedians, IMO. I think it's because Youtube/internet video killed comedy clubs.

GhaleonQ

Tamanon said:
There really aren't too many up and coming comedians, IMO. I think it's because Youtube/internet video killed comedy clubs.

Hm. No. Also, The Sound Of Young America/San Francisco Sketchfest/comedy club podcasts are great places to find people who haven't been on television yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom