• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best Title Screens of All Time (Of all time!!)

DRASH%20-%2006.png

no, just..no.

jbueno

Guwange is my favorite one. Here´s an still from the arcade version.

NGbzv.png

And here´s a Youtube link showing it in motion. I always let it loop at least once every time I begin playing on 360, the great attract music missing from the arcade version helps too.

Neiteio

One of my favs. So charming.

87731-pikmin-2-gamecube-screenshot-title-screens.png

I can't find a good video of it, but the music and the opening camera flying down the tree trunk leading to a playable title screen is awesome. There are different seasons and you can scatter the pikmin and even get monsters to come in and eat them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y98UDP7No9E
I absolutely loved Pikmin 2's title screen (and the game itself!). The sheer number of Easter eggs in the title screen alone showed how much Nintendo stepped up their production values with the game.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
1mEvP.png

Fully animated rockband implemented...I spent almost as much time watching the title screen as I did playing the game on my Amiga. And when that keyboard kicked in...wooo!

DJ9FV.gif

Thrash guitar that sounded too good, even for the SID chip. Bonus points for the flashing epileptic border.

E5dXG.jpg

Bouncing ball follows the lyrics, and hitting the space bar triggered a "Ghostbusters!" voice sample. Elegant. Simple. A David Crane classic.

Blizzard

Banned
That Metroid Prime theme is great, but Metroid Prime 3 was probably one of the only games to make me just sit there entranced and listen to the startup title music/sequence several times.

The intro to FF3 (I think that was the one?) on the DS was also pretty cool, though that probably doesn't count.

Platy

Always had a soft spot for
gHI63.gif

...but ...

One of my favs. So charming.

87731-pikmin-2-gamecube-screenshot-title-screens.png

I can't find a good video of it, but the music and the opening camera flying down the tree trunk leading to a playable title screen is awesome. There are different seasons and you can scatter the pikmin and even get monsters to come in and eat them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y98UDP7No9E

This and Mario64 are awesome choices !
The best videogame title screen are the ones you can play

ArjanN

With all due respect, I don't think people understand the idea of this thread. Why are you posting 8/16-bit intro screens if not for nostalgia reasons? That Phantasy Star above is borderline offensive, how is that a good intro screen?

Hey maybe reading the OP is a good idea?

What title screen is forever cemented in your brain as classic pieces of video game history?

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
zWYrV.jpg

(Blue Version too)

Plus the Pokemon rotating on the title screen, blowing your mind when you're little seeing a preview of the 150+ creatures you're about to collect.

etczt.jpg

Awesome, parallax scrolling showing off the entire island as a peaceful tropical melody plays.

Td7wQ.png

Very simple, but with a bit of nostalgia to it.

z31JH.jpg

Love the way Sonic falls from the sky as the music builds up, and the Genesis-era 3D has a certain charm to it.

iirate

With all due respect, I don't think people understand the idea of this thread. Why are you posting 8/16-bit intro screens if not for nostalgia reasons? That Phantasy Star above is borderline offensive, how is that a good intro screen?

My pick Ridge Racer Vita : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sHhKXpp1Zo starts at 2:13

Dude, whatever your opinion about older title screens is, that's cool, but don't try and act all big about it. Tech does not equal superiority; many people would hold the Mega Man II or Super Metroid screens (alongside many others) as some of the greatest ever made, and they still understand the thread just as well as you do.

The only people that I'd argue don't get this thread are those just posting music. The OP asked for memorable screens, and while the music is certainly part of that, it isn't the whole experience.

Top Bottom