• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best Version of FFVI?

Grief.exe

What does the gba version look through the gbaplayer via component cable on the gamecube

The aforementioned color and sound issues will still be present, but it will upscale nicely if you use the right software/hardware combo. The GameCube is kind of finicky about high-res support, Nintendo actually future proofed the hardware, but you need to do some legwork to go the extra mile.

Search my life in gaming + GameCube on YouTube to get a thorough, concise explanation.

I believe at the bare minimum you need HDMI mod or component cables, the former being significantly cheaper, and a mod chip to run third party software, the GameCube GBA player software really screws up the image and refresh rate.

I've been playing the IOS version and it's pretty good.

I don't have the nostalgia for the original version, so the graphics aren't a huge concern for me. They definitely do look different from what I've seen of the original game, but it's not the most offensive change in my opinion. Other than it, it plays great. It's great having it on the go and being able to pick up my phone and play it whenever. Moving around can kind of being a little troublesome in parts due to the lack of directional pad, but it's manageable.

My biggest complaint is that I can never differentiate what is background and what is an obstacle obstructing me from moving It's frustrating. I don't know if this is a problem with just the IOS version or the game in general.

EDIT: Apparently I've got you covered, Hesh.

I put together some frame-for-frame comparisons, hopefully this clears up a few things. Also I'd like to note that some colours may be slightly off (as in, not noticeable to the naked eye), due to emulators handling colours differently from each other. As well, to help with the process of gathering frame data, I removed the smoke effect layer on the town map gifs, in case anyone wants to point out how boring they look.

From left to right, the systems are Super Nintendo, PlayStation, Game Boy Advance, Game Boy Advance (patched). I'm not even going to touch the mobile version because it's garbage.

Regarding COLOUR:

x2PMzBs.gif
wN82VV3.gif
26C2hXL.gif
jEIhPUJ.gif

The colours on the Super Nintendo and PlayStation version are close to identical, if not completely identical. The Game Boy Advance version is extremely brightened to make up for the lack of a lit screen, but the restoration patch brings the colours back to their original levels.

Regarding EFFECTS:

qTVIqzL.gif
sRm6H7C.gif
vMgSPnN.gif
RT4hdHd.gif

In the Super Nintendo version, the spell "Banisher" masks the defeated enemy sprite behind the effect layer as it's pulled off-screen. The PlayStation version, instead of masking the sprite with the effect, vertically removes the enemy sprite. The Game Boy Advance version is even worse, with the enemy sprite simply disappearing before the effect is pulled off-screen. This is just one example of effects being changed for the PlayStation and Game Boy Advance versions.

Regarding LOAD TIMES:

uValRez.gif
zngZTYH.gif
5PK17ii.gif
QM3sY9P.gif

The Super Nintendo has the smallest delay during a battle start-up (about 76 frames, or 1.26 seconds), while the Game Boy Advance version doubles that time (about 160 frames, or 2.66 seconds). Finally, the PlayStation version has the longest time to start-up a battle (about 256 frames or 4.25 seconds), which may also be skewed from using an image file, and may be longer if you're playing a disc!

Regarding THE REST:

The three remaining issues will continue to divide the fanbase for as long as they exist, and those issues are the translation, extra content, and audio quality.

The audio quality is simply better on the Super Nintendo and PlayStation versions, compared to the Game Boy Advance, no one will argue against this. It does come up however, when you start comparing the additional content from the Game Boy Advance version, and whether the audio quality is worth sacrificing for it. There is a patch for that as well, although as many users have noted, it still won't reach the levels of quality from the original. In the end, this boils down to how much of an audiophile you are, or whether you care about the extra content available.

The translation is a similar case. Some people prefer the humourous nature of the original Super Nintendo and PlayStation versions, while others will prefer the more literal translation that followed in the Game Boy Advance version.

PERSONAL VERDICT:

I'd choose the Game Boy Advance version with it's restoration patches since I prefer the new translation, and I like the extra content more than the audio quality. The Super Nintendo version is also a great choice in it's own right, though. Don't bother with the PlayStation or Mobile versions.
Quality post, thanks for taking time to write it up, with images too!

It takes literally 4 seconds to open the menu and 6 seconds until a battle begins on the PSX. I don't think it's as bad as many people claim it would be. And I know that some people might argue that it adds up during your playthrough, but so does the loading in every other game you play ...

Every other game, except every other version of FFVI.

Also the many other games that have little or no load times.

I've only played the GBA port and loved it. Can't really speak definitively having only played the one version but personally I'd just play whichever version is most convenient, there doesn't seem to be any night and day differences unless you're interested in mods.

....?
I'd honestly like to hear some input on this, because I don't know much about it.

Snes Romhack

Bsically a remake at this point. They take the gameplay mechanics that got buried by the Vanilla version and polish them to a T

Stats matter more, character builds matter, gear matters. Basically it brings out more RPG

Highly recommended for verteran players looking for an excuse to play through FF6 again

Only downside of course is the script edits....

ss_lemonade

My one question with the ios version: does it run at 60fps? It may not be that big of a deal for these type of games but I remember trying out a mobile version of FF V and it felt sluggish compared to how the SNES final fantasy games controlled
I'm still interested in this. Anyone who has the ios version have any idea? Since I never see it being brought up, I'm guessing it isn't as popular as knowing how much the art changed, but I always like smooth framerates no matter what type of game it is.

Audette

I'm a solid fan of IOS/Steam version.
I am okay with the new Art, I like the new translation and I can't stand the GBA version Audio.

I know people hate the changed visuals for me they work fine, they are very similar to the Rendered art that is featured on my Japanese cart for FF6. Also I'm a huge fan of the 8 directional walking and auto battle toggle.

pje122

Snes Romhack

Bsically a remake at this point. They take the gameplay mechanics that got buried by the Vanilla version and polish them to a T

Stats matter more, character builds matter, gear matters. Basically it brings out more RPG

Highly recommended for verteran players looking for an excuse to play through FF6 again

Only downside of course is the script edits....
Hmm.... any way to play it without the bad script?
What's a good script these days? The GBA version?

Grief.exe

Android TV or PC.

If those are your two choices, chose the PC version as you can remove Square's inexplicable scaling and filters. The sprites actually look quite sharp when scaled correctly.

There are also mods in the works to replace all of the sprites with the SNES versions, but I don't know how far those are along.

A game as awesome as FF6 really should have had more versions of it by now. As it stands right now my vote is for the SNES version. Although I feel like Square should have made a remake by now.

A game as awesome as FF6 really should have had more versions of it by now. As it stands right now my vote is for the SNES version. Although I feel like Square should have made a remake by now.

yeah its sad

So sad that even Tesuya Nomura acknowledges it during E3 2015 interviews regarding FF7 remake

FF6 desperately needs more love

Aquova

EDIT: Apparently I've got you covered, Hesh.

I put together some frame-for-frame comparisons, hopefully this clears up a few things. Also I'd like to note that some colours may be slightly off (as in, not noticeable to the naked eye), due to emulators handling colours differently from each other. As well, to help with the process of gathering frame data, I removed the smoke effect layer on the town map gifs, in case anyone wants to point out how boring they look.

From left to right, the systems are Super Nintendo, PlayStation, Game Boy Advance, Game Boy Advance (patched). I'm not even going to touch the mobile version because it's garbage.

Regarding COLOUR:

x2PMzBs.gif
wN82VV3.gif
26C2hXL.gif
jEIhPUJ.gif

The colours on the Super Nintendo and PlayStation version are close to identical, if not completely identical. The Game Boy Advance version is extremely brightened to make up for the lack of a lit screen, but the restoration patch brings the colours back to their original levels.

Regarding EFFECTS:

qTVIqzL.gif
sRm6H7C.gif
vMgSPnN.gif
RT4hdHd.gif

In the Super Nintendo version, the spell "Banisher" masks the defeated enemy sprite behind the effect layer as it's pulled off-screen. The PlayStation version, instead of masking the sprite with the effect, vertically removes the enemy sprite. The Game Boy Advance version is even worse, with the enemy sprite simply disappearing before the effect is pulled off-screen. This is just one example of effects being changed for the PlayStation and Game Boy Advance versions.

Regarding LOAD TIMES:

uValRez.gif
zngZTYH.gif
5PK17ii.gif
QM3sY9P.gif

The Super Nintendo has the smallest delay during a battle start-up (about 76 frames, or 1.26 seconds), while the Game Boy Advance version doubles that time (about 160 frames, or 2.66 seconds). Finally, the PlayStation version has the longest time to start-up a battle (about 256 frames or 4.25 seconds), which may also be skewed from using an image file, and may be longer if you're playing a disc!

Regarding THE REST:

The three remaining issues will continue to divide the fanbase for as long as they exist, and those issues are the translation, extra content, and audio quality.

The audio quality is simply better on the Super Nintendo and PlayStation versions, compared to the Game Boy Advance, no one will argue against this. It does come up however, when you start comparing the additional content from the Game Boy Advance version, and whether the audio quality is worth sacrificing for it. There is a patch for that as well, although as many users have noted, it still won't reach the levels of quality from the original. In the end, this boils down to how much of an audiophile you are, or whether you care about the extra content available.

The translation is a similar case. Some people prefer the humourous nature of the original Super Nintendo and PlayStation versions, while others will prefer the more literal translation that followed in the Game Boy Advance version.

PERSONAL VERDICT:

I'd choose the Game Boy Advance version with it's restoration patches since I prefer the new translation, and I like the extra content more than the audio quality. The Super Nintendo version is also a great choice in it's own right, though. Don't bother with the PlayStation or Mobile versions.

Thank you very much for this! I didn't even know someone had made restoration patches for these games!

If you can play the PS1 version of FFIX, you can play the PS1 version of FFVI. At least it doesn't have that awful save bug present in FFV.

The retraslation of Shadow's description makes me hate the GBA version. How do you go from, "He'd slit his own mamma's throat for a nickel" to, "He'd kill anyone, if the price was right"? That takes an emotional edge away from the character, and this is far from the only bad change in the new translation on GBA.

Well, it's not what was ever intended for his character ...

Kientin

I'm super conflicted about Brave New World. On one hand, the gameplay is sooooo much better and there are a few good script changes. On the other hand the sheer amount of references to movies, games, memes, and tentacle hentai takes me out of the game and makes me roll my eyes almost every time.

I beat the mod last month.

I'm super conflicted about Brave New World. On one hand, the gameplay is sooooo much better and there are a few good script changes. On the other hand the sheer amount of references to movies, games, memes, and tentacle hentai takes me out of the game and makes me roll my eyes almost every time.

I beat the mod last month.

The script changes bother me, but I've played the original enough that I just mentally edit the og lines back in. The gameplay is pretty slick - VI had so many options but so little gameplay reason to use them. On the plus side, that let me really role play the character builds without worrying about efficacy.

Top Bottom