• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best way to play Tomb Raider 1?

Sorry, I could have worded that a lot better. The puzzles in Anniversary feel a lot more in line with those from something like Uncharted. Again, this is pure preference, but in the original the puzzles felt a little more difficult, and I felt a sense of accomplishment figuring things out. I also don't just mean straight up mechanical puzzles. I was also thinking of environmental challenges like asking yourself where to go.

Have you played the original game? It's hard for me to try and explain it correctly.

I've played both extensively and they largely have very similar puzzles with similar feelings of accomplishment from solving them.

daninthemix

PC version with the patch linked earlier in the thread. Play with widescreen, in 4K, a much higher draw distance, and no texture warping / distortion like you'll get in the PSX version.

p.s. Anniversary is a completely different game.

tuxfool

Banned
The original controls are very good. I don't see the problem with them.

Making no value judgements on the game itself as I liked the original, but comparatively it controls like shit. Understandably so given the age of the game, but that is a ridiculous statement.

So if you thought that the better more responsive control scheme tailored to contemporary expectations was bad, then the original should be even worse.

I mean, I do see problems with them, mostly when it comes to combat (while Lara aims automatically at enemies for you so you don't have to concern yourself with it, it always felt like there was a bit of disconnect between where you're facing and where you actually want to go when this is happening, and the sluggish turn speed kind of becomes more of an issue here). Outside of combat, though, they're generally pretty great, provided you have the patience to consider how to make certain jumps and properly line them up before making them - something I wound up finding surprisingly satisfying after a while.

Though it helps to have the PC version's save-anywhere, cuz I recall the one-use save crystals got rather sparse after a while (like, I think the tall room in St. Francis' Folly only gave you one or two for that entire four-puzzle stretch, which seemed rather extreme? Definitely doable, though).

Daffy Duck

Making no value judgements on the game itself as I liked the original, but comparatively it controls like shit. Understandably so given the age of the game, but that is a ridiculous statement.

So if you thought that the better more responsive control scheme tailored to contemporary expectations was bad, then the original should be even worse.

Nope, I played both one after the other on my PS3 last weekend.

OG controls were perfectly fine whereas the controls and movement in Anniversary were frustrating to the point I turned it off.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
This is the correct answer. The first Tomb Raider is, and always was garbage. People loved it cause boobs but it was never a good game. Controls are shit, level design is kind of alright, and the art style is sinfully ugly.

Nope.

Game is good.

Controls are only "bad" in that they aren't analog because the game predates analog sticks.

Basically the game compensates for lack of smoothness by giving you a lot of ways to adjust your position. It plays almost exactly like a 3D version of the original Prince of Persia.

Prince_of_Persia_%281989_video_game%29_IBM_PC_Version_gameplay.gif

sublimit

Banned
The remake, or don't

puke.gif

As for the topic in question i personally prefer the PS1 version but objectively the PC version is the best.The only problem is that the PC version doesn't have the soundtrack but i'm sure there is a way to download it and patch it.

tuxfool

Banned
Nope, I played both one after the other on my PS3 last weekend.

OG controls were perfectly fine whereas the controls and movement in Anniversary were frustrating to the point I turned it off.

I'm not sure you'd find anybody that agrees with that.

Harlequin

I've played both extensively and they largely have very similar puzzles with similar feelings of accomplishment from solving them.

Anniversary's platforming mechanics are far more automated, far easier and less satisfying than TR1's. Plus, most of Anniversary's "platforming" is actually ledge-hopping, not proper 3D platforming. And Anniversary left out whole sections of TR1 levels.

chitnex

That's just one of the things I felt, and what separates the games for me.

It'd be silly for me to try and tell you that what you felt was "wrong" but when comparing the two games that's just what I see.

Also, like the poster above me said, it feels very automated.

Raptomex

The original controls are very good. I don't see the problem with them.
I've never played Anniversary but if they removed the tank controls (yes, tank controls), I've already gained interest. The controls were the reason I never could get into the original games, even back in their prime.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Then recommends the original...wat.
Controls in the original are very precise and actually do exactly what you want them to do 100% of the time. The controls in Anniversary are much more loose, less precise and due to the automated nature of the game it's much less reliable since you're putting your trust in the game, not your own inputs.

Nope.

Game is good.

Controls are only "bad" in that they aren't analog because the game predates analog sticks.

Basically the game compensates for lack of smoothness by giving you a lot of ways to adjust your position. It plays almost exactly like a 3D version of the original Prince of Persia.

Dear I didn't even remember how much I loved these games, especially the snes version.

As for the OP, just play the original. Its rough but... its still the most authentic version.

Harlequin

I've never played Anniversary but if they removed the tank controls (yes, tank controls), I've already gained interest. The controls were the reason I never could get into the original games, even back in their prime.

If you want to play a Tomb Raider game without the tank controls, you'd be better off playing Mirror's Edge than any of Crystal's "Tomb Raider" games. At least mechanics-wise. Obviously not thematically.

Raptomex

If you want to play a Tomb Raider game without the tank controls, you'd be better off playing Mirror's Edge than any of Crystal's "Tomb Raider" games. At least mechanics-wise. Obviously not thematically.
I enjoyed the reboot, minus all of the QTE's. Story was shit, though. Still have to play Rise.

tuxfool

Banned

Yeah, it is a much more modern control scheme. I don't have any more patience for the original tank controls either.

Not to mention the shitty camera and the sluggishness of the original. Later iterations obviously improved upon them, but the controls from the first game are atrocious today.

The original Tomb Raider is the most perfect feeling 3d adventure platformer I have ever played. The thought and precision required with every jump goes a long way into the experience.

The more automated feel of Anniversary creates a much more pleasant feeling while playing, but it's less rewarding and less memorable for it.

Raptomex

I didn't say that none of Crystal's efforts were enjoyable, just that they don't have a whole lot in common with actual Tomb Raider games.
Well I'm not even a fan of puzzle solving to be honest and only enjoy the heavy emphasis in select games. Plus, when I was a kid, the lack of action from what I saw in the original turned me off. My cousin loved it, though, and would play it all the time. She kept pushing me to try so I eventually did and the controls just weren't happening.

Mman235

This is the correct answer. The first Tomb Raider is, and always was garbage. People loved it cause boobs but it was never a good game. Controls are shit, level design is kind of alright, and the art style is sinfully ugly.

These "woke" hot-takes on the original games that try to criticise the sexist aspects by saying things far more sexist than anything in the games themselves never stop being cringeworthy, but sure a game so influential it still has an effect on it's genre today and with a diverse audience was only liked because of boobs.

Harlequin

Well I'm not even a fan of puzzle solving to be honest and only enjoy the heavy emphasis in select games. Plus, when I was a kid, the lack of action from what I saw in the original turned me off. My cousin loved it, though, and would play it all the time. She kept pushing me to try so I eventually did and the controls just weren't happening.

Tomb Raider was really more of a 3D platformer with puzzle and action elements than it was a full-on puzzle game. I mean, puzzles are an integral part of the formula but I don't think that reducing the games to just that one element makes a whole lot of sense.

Shotpun

I personally prefer emulated PS1 version with increased resolution and DS4 controller for the D-pad. Anniversary is okay in my books, although the streamlined levels and sometimes wonky controls put it behind the original. All too often I jump somewhere I really didn't want to jump in Anniversary and the two other games that use the same engine, Legend and Underworld.

gelf

I played the modded PC version linked in this thread to completion roughly a year ago and had a great time with it. That's the route I'd recommend unless you really like the save crystals in the PS\Sat versions.

The tank controls may not be whats conventional these days but they are reliable and mesh perfectly with the level design.

Nope.

Game is good.

Nailed it. This is a control style that simply doesn't exist any more. It is not bad, just unfamiliar to most players today.

Melchiah

Nope.

Game is good.

I actually played the first three Tomb Raider games with Namco arcade stick, and it worked well. I was used to playing with joysticks from C64/Amiga days, and its button layout worked better for me.

Saturn has better color palette and dynamic lighting. Framerate difference is barely noticeable, also.
I preffer PSX because I preffer the look of triangles to quadrilaterals in my polygons but both versions have their merits, really.
This is not true. The Saturn version has lots of framerate drops and makes the experience a worse one these days than just playing the solid 30fps PS1 version on console. The framerate difference IS very noticeable, especially in larger and crowded areas of the game.

Top Bottom