• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Betsy DeVos doesn't know the difference between growth and proficiency

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Doctors haven't been failing me for years.

By the way, Betsy DeVos is an educator, i guess everything she says is gospel to you since she apparently has the only qualification that matters to you?

If you don't understand why we shouldn't teach kids that it's ok to half-ass their way through life because they'll be successful regardless then you're showing that you haven't really been paying attention

False.

KingV

She has to be rejected, just a damning statement...

She's gonna get picked is she?

She probably wouldn't if the democratic party hadn't used the nuclear option to eliminate filibusters of Presidential nominees. But I suspect shell be confirmed on a party line vote.

Socivol

Doctors haven't been failing me for years.

By the way, Betsy DeVos is an educator, i guess everything she says is gospel to you since she apparently has the only qualification that matters to you?

If you don't understand why we shouldn't teach kids that it's ok to half-ass their way through life because they'll be successful regardless then you're showing that you haven't really been paying attention

Betsy DeVos is not an educator she is someone that contributes to privatizing education. If she were an educator she would have known the answers to the basic, fundamental questions she was asked yesterday. I'm so tired of the narrative that teachers are failing kids when there are so many other issues outside of the classroom that educators have no say so in that effect learning.

Got it after the first post, pointless dogpile is pointless. My bad. I did say more in that post other than just that she was an educator though

And for anyone thinking I like DeVos, I don't

Got it after the first post, pointless dogpile is pointless. My bad. I did say more in that post other than just that she was an educator though

so what the fuck are you doing man?

seriously wondering.

Like, i know youre a trump guy. whatever. fine. you seriously cant just objectively look at this pick as being atrocious, terribly misguided, and bad for education?

its not about shit like proficiency and growth. thats a whole different issue that you can form an opinion on and have, sure. the point is, this dumbass doesnt even know what either of them are. this is first year first DAY teacher shit. Not conflicting ideas. literally the basics. like the alphabet of teaching. and she doesnt have a clue. not to mention all the other frankly terrible answers like not knowing what an I.D.E.A is and more, but even that alone should completely disqualify her

I'm so tired of the narrative that teachers are failing kids when there are so many other issues outside of the classroom that educators have no say so in that effect learning.

Well, we can certainly agree on this (i think anyway). Parents and (lack of) a stable home life are probably the biggest problem of all.

The Irony of you railing on 'half-assing' and then not know DeVos' credentials is not lost on us.

Dartastic

Every single teacher on my FB is pissed off at this.
Same. I can't see how anyone can watch this woman get grilled and think she's acceptable for this position. Like fuck, put partisanship aside and just listen to the questions being asked and her responses. This woman will be responsible for setting the tone of your child's education. She is absolutely unqualified for this position.

The Irony of you railing on 'half-assing' and then not know DeVos' credentials is not lost on us.

Give me a break, if you're going to equate half-assing one's way through their entire life as a guiding principle with making a mistake on an internet forum then I don't know what to tell you.

so what the fuck are you doing man?

seriously wondering.

Like, i know youre a trump guy. whatever. fine. you seriously cant just objectively look at this pick as being atrocious, terribly misguided, and bad for education?

its not about shit like proficiency and growth. thats a whole different issue that you can form an opinion on and have, sure. the point is, this dumbass doesnt even know what either of them are. this is first year first DAY teacher shit. Not conflicting ideas. literally the basics. like the alphabet of teaching. and she doesnt have a clue. not to mention all the other frankly terrible answers like not knowing what an I.D.E.A is and more, but even that alone should completely disqualify her

If this thread were only about "She doesn't know the difference between proficiency and growth, that's terrible" then there's not much to really discuss after the first few posts. One and done, thread over. Tangents arise in the course of a thread, and in this case it veered into teaching methodologies. I don't think that's entirely off topic here, and I think it can be discussed in parallel with DeVos's failure to answer the question of growth vs. proficiency. I don't have to like DeVos to have an opinion on teaching methodologies.

Like I said, I'm on record as saying I don't like her. Mainly because of her strong religious convictions (I'm atheist), but she also just strikes me as a bad person and she uses too much politi-speak to dodge questions instead of giving straight answers even if she thinks it isn't what the questioner wants to hear.

Same. I can't see how anyone can watch this woman get grilled and think she's acceptable for this position. Like fuck, put partisanship aside and just listen to the questions being asked and her responses. This woman will be responsible for setting the tone of your child's education. She is absolutely unqualified for this position.

It literally doesn't matter to the people in charge of confirming her because they're all old shits so their kids are either grown or their grandkids are probably going into private education anyways

This is literally just a bunch of old rich people determining the fates of young middle class and poor children for the next generation

Beefy

In her confirmation hearing this week, the prospective cabinet member faced questions about her prominent donations to the anti-gay marriage lobby.

She previously donated $200,000 in a successful bid to add an anti-gay marriage amendment to the Michigan ballot.

DeVos family organisations have also made large donations to anti-gay marriage causes – with more than $10 million sent Focus On the Family, a Christian group that advocates gay ‘cure' therapy, as well as $500,000 to the National Organization for Marriage, and $100,000 to Florida4Marriage.

Senator Al Franken challenged her on the issue, asserting: ”Your family has a long history of supporting anti-LGBT causes including donating millions of dollars to groups that push conversion therapy, the practice of trying to change someone's sexual orientation or gender identity.

”For example, you and your family have given over $10 million to Focus On the Family, an organization that currently states on its website that, ‘homosexual strugglers can and do change their sexual behavior and identity'.

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2017/01/1...over-donations-to-gay-cure-therapy-advocates/

Fuck people like this

GhaleonQ

What is your link supposed to demonstrate? You do know that you are linking to Sen. Lamar Alexander right?

You should read it. It is good.

I am linking to his chastisement based on the actually, not fake, bipartisan Every Student Succeeds Act revision meant to limit his power because of Duncan pissing off Republicans and Democrats.

"have the complex and nuanced understanding of public education necessary to guide education department" doesn't mean "do whatever you want."

She also donated tons of money to a think tank that wants to bring back child labor.

NeoGAF is fun. It's the Acton Institute. If anything, they're boring.

DocSeuss, I'm not saying any of those are wrong (though they are), but if you wanted untainted information,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Bennet#Committee_assignments the dude on the committe's brother is the head of the editorial board http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/opinion/editorialboard.html
Chalkbeat pushes either left or right based on http://www.chalkbeat.org/about/supporters
And Dissent is Dissent.

So in reality, parents can be fucking idiots at the same time as our teaching industry can be rotten. There is no single string to pull to fix this problem.

*nods*

Replace Lutheran schools with Muslim schools. Replace "God" with Allah.

Add an argument about the long-standing deep relationship Muslim counties have with Mathematics. I could make a few more.

Are you still OK with it? Think about places like Dearborn where there is a large Muslim population. It's totally plausible. You're talking spending tax dollars to find conservative Muslim schools for kids.

Public tax dollars should not be sent to religious schools to fund religious education. Whatever it is. See the above argument. To me funding Christian schools is no different than funding Muslim schools. They're both equally nonsense to me.

I don't even like how funding and people are funneled to AA and other twelve-step programs for substance abuse, but there at least there isn't a lot of choice to be had.

Yes, 100 percent for it. I wish that there were more Jewish schools and Islamic schools and other schools in Milwaukee instead of the handful that there are.

I get that it's philosophical, but I really think that I have the practical take on the issue based on what I've written here.

I hear you, but your evidence is not only anecdotal it isnt world wide. Catholic school does not equal quality school. there are plenty of trash ones. And i get your point about religion being a good thing for a kid, but really, who gives a shit if the education is poor?

Plus, replacing everything you said with a muslim school, im thinking america collectively loses its mind.

Again, the point is not that EVERY private school has to be good. As with any school, program design can determine who is allowed to come in or stay in.

That's why New Orleans screwed up. I wish that I intimately knew every school there, but from those who do, the good ones mostly stayed out and the bad ones mostly came in (for the cash).

Smokey

Is it really all that surprising?

I mean...How many of Trump's cabinet picks are truly qualified for their positions

I'll wait

UberTag

The fact that partisanship ISN'T put aside even in instances like this where even the most egregious expectations of competency aren't met highlights a glaring flaw in your political process and what a farce this entire process is. Like if I was Republican, I'd at least want competent Republicans I could respect in these roles. Not folks who donated to get Trump into office. Why not get a competent stooge to force through distasteful policy instead of an idiot who bought their way in?

My only takeaway from this is that the Democrats are outnumbered and the Republicans are completely spineless.

Sure. proficiency measures you against an absolute standard "if you can pass this test, you pass. otherwise you fail". growth measures against where you started from. "If you increase by X amount, you pass".

I think measuring growth is kind of stupid frankly, because if that's the case why even have grades (i.e. K-12) at all? The whole point of a grade is to define the absolute level of the material that is to be taught. What does 4th grade mean if anyone can be in 4th grade, and everyone is being taught something different because they're all at different levels?

Grades are useful for more than just academic progress. They're also good for immersing students in social interactions with peers who are part of their same age group. This is hugely important for kids of all ages, from preschool all the way to high school.

Also, measuring growth is hugely important because the predictors of academic proficiency are not equal.

- Parents' academic achievement predicts kids' academic achievement
- Parents' income predicts kids' academic achievement
- What kind of preschool education a child gets influences their academic achievement

When you can't assume that every kid will achieve at the same level, your best metric is to try to help every kid grow as much as they can.

Izayoi

Banned
Of all of his picks so far, she is by far the most harmful.

Dangerous to students, dangerous to teachers, and dangerous to the institution as a whole.

Really terrifying...

Socivol

The fact that partisanship ISN'T put aside even in instances like this where even the most egregious expectations of competency aren't met highlights a glaring flaw in your political process and what a farce this entire process is. Like if I was Republican, I'd at least want competent Republicans I could respect in these roles. Not folks who donated to get Trump into office. Why not get a competent stooge to force through distasteful policy instead of an idiot who bought their way in?

My only takeaway from this is that the Democrats are outnumbered and the Republicans are completely spineless.

I don't understand how Republicans can hear answers like "It's up to the state" for implementation of IDEA and think that's okay. She didn't misspeak she said it several times, she just doesn't know fundamental education law.

Holy shit just watched parts of her hearing. That was a roast...this woman is completely and utterly unqualified. Imagine failing that badly in a job interview...

Please, this lady has no business running the department of education. The fact that she has never been a classroom teacher or held any administrative position at a school should immediately disqualify her. Not even getting into the fact that she has never needed/wanted to utilize our public education system for herself or her children, talking public schools or federal loans. She openly supports and prefers charter schools but doesn't feel they should be held to the same accountability standards that public schools have to roll with. One of the worst nominees that Trump has put forward, not even getting into the religious aspect.

flyover

Holy shit just watched parts of her hearing. That was a roast...this woman is completely and utterly unqualified. Imagine failing that badly in a job interview...

Yep, but it doesn't matter, because she's qualified in the one way that matters to the Republicans (and maybe a few Democrats): she wants to privatize education.

Her most odious answer was when she was asked (by Kaine, I think) if all federal funding sent to schools/districts should be used to educate students. And she said she doesn't care if the money gets shifted away from those communities as profit, so long as the students reach benchmarks.

Fuck that. First, it means that "good enough" is all we need to shoot for with the education system. Second, it ignores that schools and districts are often among the most important employers in communities. Federal money not only educates students in their communities. It is also essential to the economies of those communities.

A dollar that is shifted away as profit is a dollar that's not being paid to a teacher, admin, secretary, janitor, aide, or other staff member in that community -- meaning that the money will not be spent and recirculated within that community. Instead, it's likely to go to someone rich (who may not have any connection to the community), invested or put in savings, and kept out of the economy altogether.

It was one of the few questions she actually answered honestly, and it was shitty.

This woman seems like a moron who has not engaged with the overall facts of the educational system outside of her charter school-advocating bubble.

I have respect for charter schools that manage to succeed, but the idea that charter schools and vouchers are anything like a solution for the education system, in general, is misguided. Setting aside the violation of church and state that can happen when these charter schools are religious (pretty good way to circumvent the work we've done getting religion out of schools, eh, conservatives?), charter schools have less direct accountability, more ability to subtly filter out students that bring them down, and will likely not do as well, on the whole, when they are inundated with the full bulk of the school system and thus forced to deal with many of the same problems that come from having to service the weirdest or least-privileged portions of a society.

Socivol

This woman seems like a moron who has not engaged with the overall facts of the educational system outside of her charter school-advocating bubble.

I have respect for charter schools that manage to succeed, but the idea that charter schools and vouchers are anything like a solution for the education system, in general, is misguided. Setting aside the violation of church and state that can happen when these charter schools are religious (pretty good way to circumvent the work we've done getting religion out of schools, eh, conservatives?), charter schools have less direct accountability, more ability to subtly filter out students that bring them down, and will likely not do as well, on the whole, when they are inundated with the full bulk of the school system and thus forced to deal with many of the same problems that come from having to service the weirdest or least-privileged portions of a society.

You can look at districts like New Orleans where it is almost 100% charter and they are still some of the worst scoring schools in the state. Their are really great charters but there are really shitty ones too.

GhaleonQ

On average, Catholic schools are a good bit worse than public schools.

https://msu.edu/~telder/Cath_Prim_Current.pdf

http://msutoday.msu.edu/news/2013/study-catholic-schools-not-superior-to-public-schools/

Catholic schools just attract richer kids.

The only charter/private schools that have shown any superiority over public schools are "No Excuses" charter schools and that may just be because they offer more tutoring to their students than public schools do.

Don't jump to conclusions or post stuff that you did not actually read.

http://ciep.hunter.cuny.edu/catholicschools

"Finally, one of the most important things the authors omitted was a subgroup analysis, to determine how the results might have differed for racial/ethnic and income groups. This would have been helpful, because other research (Figlio & Stone, 1997) has shown that even if results indicate no Catholic school advantage for the general population, minority students, particularly from urban areas, still might benefit substantially. This, in fact, is one of the strongest reasons to promote access to Catholic schools: to narrow the racial and socioeconomic achievement gap. Propensity score matching could handily investigate whether Catholic schools really do benefit racial and ethnic minority students from urban areas."

I love that they really worked hard on the research, but this is a dealbreaker for me.

2nd, I would add that they did not correlate at all dollars spent on education. For all of the complaints about public schools, some of which are legitimate, religious schools do more with less and for less, meaning they get level or superior results at a reduced cost, and (seemingly) achieve better life outcomes, maybe due to religious or character instruction.

https://www.brookings.edu/research/public-or-private-school-it-shouldnt-matter

This article is legitimately difficult for me to get through because it's so distopian.

It's Ravitch. I'm not saying don't listen to critics. Dana Goldstein would be a much better one, or a couple of people at Brookings.

Don't jump to conclusions or post stuff that you did not actually read.

http://ciep.hunter.cuny.edu/catholicschools

"Finally, one of the most important things the authors omitted was a subgroup analysis, to determine how the results might have differed for racial/ethnic and income groups. This would have been helpful, because other research (Figlio & Stone, 1997) has shown that even if results indicate no Catholic school advantage for the general population, minority students, particularly from urban areas, still might benefit substantially. This, in fact, is one of the strongest reasons to promote access to Catholic schools: to narrow the racial and socioeconomic achievement gap. Propensity score matching could handily investigate whether Catholic schools really do benefit racial and ethnic minority students from urban areas."

I love that they really worked hard on the research, but this is a dealbreaker for me.

2nd, I would add that they did not correlate at all dollars spent on education. For all of the complaints about public schools, some of which are legitimate, religious schools do more with less and for less, meaning they get level or superior results at a reduced cost, and (seemingly) achieve better life outcomes, maybe due to religious or character instruction.

https://www.brookings.edu/research/public-or-private-school-it-shouldnt-matter

It's Ravitch. I'm not saying don't listen to critics. Dana Goldstein would be a much better one, or a couple of people at Brookings.

I read the entire paper two days ago because I'm applying for Michigan State's Ph.D. program right now.

How is linking to a different article than I provided trying to show that I didn't read the paper? What the fuck?

GhaleonQ

I read the entire paper two days ago because I'm applying for Michigan State's Ph.D. program right now.

How is linking to a different article than I provided trying to show that I didn't read the paper? What the fuck?

Awesome! So, of what use is the paper as a counter if national vouchers would (hypothetically, I doubt this will happen) serve low-income children?

I raised my objections to the paper, quoting 1 person and referencing another who shares them.

I do apologize for saying that you didn't read it, though.

Well, we can certainly agree on this (i think anyway). Parents and (lack of) a stable home life are probably the biggest problem of all.

And education cannot directly address this issue. However, it can address the issues related to education, which this woman wants to ignore so public education can fail and become privatized. She sees education as an untapped market, not a resource for the nation and the only proven way to alleviate poverty.

flyover

This article is legitimately difficult for me to get through because it's so distopian.

I know, but she's right, and it sucks. "If the privatization movement were confined to Republicans, there might be a vigorous political debate about the wisdom of privatizing the nation’s public schools. But the Obama administration has been just as enthusiastic about privately managed charter schools as the Republicans. In 2009, its own education reform program, Race to the Top, offered a prize of $4.35 billion that states could compete for. In order to be eligible, states had to change their laws to allow or increase the number of charter schools, and they had to agree to close public schools that had persistently low test scores."

Her book, Reign of Error, is great--though no more fun than that article. What's interesting about Ravitch is that she was an Assistant Secretary of Ed. under George H.W. Bush, at the dawn of the charter/voucher movement. She was a huge supporter of them, until they actually were implemented and she saw what a cluster they are.

i_am_ben

running_here_and_there
On average, Catholic schools are a good bit worse than public schools.

https://msu.edu/~telder/Cath_Prim_Current.pdf

http://msutoday.msu.edu/news/2013/study-catholic-schools-not-superior-to-public-schools/

Catholic schools just attract richer kids.

The only charter/private schools that have shown any superiority over public schools are "No Excuses" charter schools and that may just be because they offer more tutoring to their students than public schools do.

It's the same in Australia. On the surface catholic schools have better results but if you account for socio-economic factors they actually do worse.

Sure. proficiency measures you against an absolute standard "if you can pass this test, you pass. otherwise you fail". growth measures against where you started from. "If you increase by X amount, you pass".

I think measuring growth is kind of stupid frankly, because if that's the case why even have grades (i.e. K-12) at all? The whole point of a grade is to define the absolute level of the material that is to be taught. What does 4th grade mean if anyone can be in 4th grade, and everyone is being taught something different because they're all at different levels?

Measure proficiency and then (GASP!) fail people if they don't pass. The problem with education today is that you can't fail people.

Growth is a key factor is determining the efficacy of a teacher. From this you can determine where said teacher was trained, are their practices replicable, are they Board Certified, what other PD did they take, is this common growth among the school, so maybe the Administrator is a rockstar? Growth allows for finding good teaching practice.

Therefore, data beyond pass/fail is still useful even if you don't think its worth a hill of beans.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Just seen the Kaine, Franken and warren q's
This lady is incompetent, needs to be declined

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom