• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beyblade (anime where they cursed and had blood and partial nudity) is on Crunchyroll

Why do you like beyblade?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is this only for the dubbed version?

After seeing Digimon Tamers in Japanese, I don't think I can go back to another nostalgic dub again, or at least ones that change the musical score. We missed out hardcore on Digimon's awesome original japanese OST.

I watched the anime when I was younger and bought a mythical beyblade storing a legendary goddamn anime tiger ready to pounce on other unsuspecting spinning tops. I was fucking hyped yo. I had plans to become the best beyblade battlemaster who could summon a goddamn whirlwind the size of a small fucking mountain with a well placed rip on his ripcord of goddamn doom. I carefully assembled the components making sure I aligned the fucking core perfectly so my tiger could unleash it's full world devastating potential upon other unsuspecting spinning tops. I put that sticker on that shit with pinpoint precision, you could use an electron microscope and not see any imperfections. I loaded my weapon of mass destruction into it's launcher, inserted the rip cord, took a 5 step runup, screamed let it rip and launched impending doom upon this planet. It dribbled off of the wire, spun around for a while and ended up being defeated by a grazing blow from my cat who nonchalantly stopped my weapon of mass destruction by hitting it with it's paw.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
Was there every any skill to this thing? Even on a strategic level, did those different attack or defense rings do anything?

I remember being 11, and somebody's older brother fucking all of us up by just stacking metal on the goddamn thing.
I always assumed high-end ones were radio-controlled, though?

Fj0823

Is this only for the dubbed version?

After seeing Digimon Tamers in Japanese, I don't think I can go back to another nostalgic dub again, or at least ones that change the musical score. We missed out hardcore on Digimon's awesome original japanese OST.

Latin American 90´s kids point at laugh at your shitty "Digimon Digital Monsters" song on a daily basis

Sadly, we also got the shitty Beyblade intro as it was an american produced anime IIRC

daxy

I watched the anime when I was younger and bought a mythical beyblade storing a legendary goddamn anime tiger ready to pounce on other unsuspecting spinning tops. I was fucking hyped yo. I had plans to become the best beyblade battlemaster who could summon a goddamn whirlwind the size of a small fucking mountain with a well placed rip on his ripcord of goddamn doom. I carefully assembled the components making sure I aligned the fucking core perfectly so my tiger could unleash it's full world devastating potential upon other unsuspecting spinning tops. I put that sticker on that shit with pinpoint precision, you could use an electron microscope and not see any imperfections. I loaded my weapon of mass destruction into it's launcher, inserted the rip cord, took a 5 step runup, screamed let it rip and launched impending doom upon this planet. It dribbled off of the wire, spun around for a while and ended up being defeated by a grazing blow from my cat who nonchalantly stopped my weapon of mass destruction by hitting it with it's paw.

Your cat was the true master of that legendary beast. Here's the setup: hold that launcher thing and attach the cord to cat, then throw a cucumber at the cat when he least expects it and watch your 'blade be launched at lightspeed.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Was there every any skill to this thing? Even on a strategic level, did those different attack or defense rings do anything?

I'm more curious as to what's going through the parents' heads. "Good job son, you sure... uhh... pulled that cord. Real proud of you." All this while looking around at other parents who are just as confused. "I'm just glad he ain't doin drugs. Or maybe he is. Either way, I wish I had some right now." Hey, maybe that's why everyone's seeing tigers and dragons and shit in the cartoon - they're all just high as fuuuuuck.

Worse yet, what happens when your kid comes to this thing and they lose? "There there. There's always next ti-- er... I mean, maybe now it's time to stop. Re-evaluate. Boy am I glad we flew all the way out here so you could play with tops... and lose."

LOL

I remember them being pretty shitty tops, too. Like unless you shelled out the $25 bucks for the plastic bowl to dump them in, they wouldn't even spin on other surfaces.

valeo

I remember there were 5 kids at school who were obsessed with these. They sat in their corner and played with their tops all day.

Cheesy Steve

Neo Member
I remember this show, I guess spinning tops were better than transforming marbles. Also isn't there supposed to be a live action movie in the works?

Edit: Yep

Yawnier

Banned
In all seriousness, I remember these things going through a craze around the same time as Yu Gi Oh cards at my elementary/middle school. Also remember the first season of the show but not beyond that.

Then dollars stores and shit started selling cheap knockoffs. Most of them were plastic junk but there were a few decent metal ones my brother and I found there.

In all seriousness, I remember these things going through a craze around the same time as Yu Gi Oh cards at my elementary/middle school. Also remember the first season of the show but not beyond that.

Then dollars stores and shit started selling cheap knockoffs. Most of them were plastic junk but there were a few decent metal ones my brother and I found there.

Yu-Gi-Oh has had ridiculous legs, though, tons of kids still play the game.

NOBODY buys Beyblade shit anymore.

Shaanyboi

Banned

This came out at the point in my adolescence where I realized "I don't have to watch this shit anymore." All the animes made to market some individual toy or game or whatever. Yugioh atleast had strategy to it. Sure the hokey "HEART OF THE CARDS" shit was hilariously dumb, but there is some merit to it as a game - how much, I can't say. But like... these are just tops. TOPS.

This came out at the point in my adolescence where I realized "I don't have to watch this shit anymore." All the animes made to market some individual toy or game or whatever. Yugioh atleast had strategy to it. Sure the hokey "HEART OF THE CARDS" shit was hilariously dumb, but there is some merit to it as a game - how much, I can't say. But like... these are just tops. TOPS.

Lmao. I won't pretend there was any super deep strategic element to Beyblade, but the customization was pretty interesting. You could mix-and-match most parts (bases, weight disks, and attack/defense rings) from different Beyblades to find the combination that worked best. That made battling Beyblades a little more involved than just smashing tops together.

see5harp

Why are so many people in beyblades threads always banned? Is it because the mods on this site can't conceive of a world where people actually like and appreciate the lore of this fantastic universe?

Komo

Banned
lets beyblade
c5014c8702.jpg

I don't care at all about this news but I just wanted to let OP know that I super appreciated the comedy trip down memory lane with the thread title :D

Sou Da

3 years ago I took a good hard look back at this series and realized that hundreds of people in this show were actually going to watch spinning tops.

Spinning tops became a spectator sport.

Why did I watch this?

Mortemis

Banned
I loved this show as a kid. Was hyped as hell when I got my first beyblade, and then got fucking bored since it was fucking boring. There we're a few kids in my neighborhood that played this, but in the end we all went back to collecting and trading pokemon cards and playing the pokemon games.

Show was a rip-off, they got dudes crushing boulders with beyblades. Guess I didn't get the dangerous metal ones that teens and adults played with.

3 years ago I took a good hard look back at this series and realized that hundreds of people in this show were actually going to watch spinning tops.

Why did I watch this?

Right? Like with Yugioh or pokemon, it was basically watching monsters fight it out, but you rarely ever see the beasts in beyblade. They all got together to watch spinning tops.

Why are so many people in beyblades threads always banned? Is it because the mods on this site can't conceive of a world where people actually like and appreciate the lore of this fantastic universe?

People in all old threads are banned. Getting banned is a matter of when, not if, for every poster including the mods.

Red Devil

If I recall correctly from a commercial back in the day some of them would rotate differently from others like the "offensive" ones would make bigger circles and the "defensive" ones would make smaller circles, or the other way around or something and there was a third variant I believe, or I'm confusing it with something completely unrelated. But yeah "streategy".

It swept through my school back in the day for half a year or so and I remember buying a few. Those plastic-toothed ripcords would cut up the shit out of your hand if you weren't careful too.

I actually had an RC one at one point and that thing was badass but the "stadiums" were so small and there was such a delay in the response of the spinning top that didn't really help either. Some of those tops were way better than the others, I remember having a smaller blue one that dominated.

ViciousDS

Banned
I actually had a monster dish and tons of blades.....fucking loved beyblades. Even had the remote control Dragoon blade lol......was pretty cool.

ryseing

Beyblade. Because Japan can sell fucking anything, including spinning tops, if an anime is stuck on top of it.

Dryk

Why did I watch this?
I think it's more interesting when the tops can be controlled telepathically and don't obey the law of conservation of angular momentum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom