• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beyond Two Souls trophy list appears for PS4

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Best Buy has the PS3 version of the game on sale starting next week at 9.99.

If this is happening I really do wonder when the heck they announce it. Maybe it'll be a surprise November PS+ title or something (lol).

will probably be announced at the end of the month for release near black friday

seeing it for $10 at best buy makes me :/ since i have no more PS3, bleh

Shin-Ra

I don't think QD have too much to worry about but I'm looking forward to the face-off between their next game and Until Dawn.

The tongue and lips are really well done here.

http://supermassivegames.com/images/games/UntilDawnPS4/website_video5.mp4.mp4
lips.gif

Shin-Ra

Two funny things about that gravity.com picture. The Beyond logo's the original, outdated version and sticking the PS family and PS4 logos together like that is naughty.

Game came out on October 8th last year, maybe we'll see an announcement this week, or hell even a stealth release since they already have the trophies in the system.

sense

i think it is going to be a plus title since they are being silent about announcing it. best buy has the game for 9.99 so who knows maybe clearing stock before being announced for plus

SerTapTap

I hope they do the upgrade thing like with Tlou, cause I bought it for ps3 but never really got into it.

They did the upgrade thing for TLOU because TLOU PS3 is still quite valuable, Best Buy is selling Beyond for like $10 in a week if I heard Wario64 right, it's not worth more than any other PS3 game of it's age, possibly less.

I picked this game up for cheap on PS3 several months ago but haven't played through it yet. I kinda want to wait on the PS4 version at this point, but on the other hand, I'm not interested in spending $60 or even $40 more for the privilege.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
i think it is going to be a plus title since they are being silent about announcing it. best buy has the game for 9.99 so who knows maybe clearing stock before being announced for plus

I seriously doubt they would go through the effort of porting it over to PS4 only to release it for free.

I wouldn't complain if they did it though, but I just can't see that happening.

Shin-Ra

Great adventure game.

Already looked stunning on PS3.
TrainArriving5d5c0.gif

I was looking on the Quantic Dream website for clues but came across David Cage's Heavy Rain blog.

WEEK 4

Cycle 5 was delivered today, along with the demos for Koln. A lot of work went into finalizing the builds, a lot of time spent improving the Motion Kits and lighting, particularly close-up lighting. Heavy Rain uses a specific lighting system for close-up camera shots in order to improve the quality of the facial rendering. In most games the lighting is global for the whole scene, which works perfectly well for long shots but begins to pose serious problems as soon as we want to do very tight shots (streaky shadows, lit-up mouths, fluorescent rims at eyes and lips, etc.). To avoid this problem we developed a lights editor associated with the camera editor, thus enabling the cameraman to create his own lighting setup. This produces a very significant improvement in the rendering (as well as a significant quantity of extra work…).

ibygn87qIAnk9B.jpg
ibaMCN3F2kvIhy.jpg

Version of the characters without close-up lighting (left) and with close-up lighting (right)

Another significant improvement: the motor department found a way of increasing the definition of shadows in close-ups by dynamically reassigning the texture size for character shadows in cases of dynamic lighting. The few remaining artefacts caused by imprecise shadows have now completely disappeared.
I wonder how common these realtime-closeup tweaks and optimisations are now. I remember being impressed by how sharp Heavy Rain's self shadowing was.

I wonder how common these realtime-closeup tweaks and optimisations are now. I remember being impressed by how sharp Heavy Rain's self shadowing was.
Every close-up in Beyond and Dark Sorcerer has designer adjusted lighting. Over 20000 shots if I remember correctly for Beyond. That's why the faces during close-ups look especially stunning for PS3 hardware, they spend a lot of manpower on this. You can see their cutscene and close-up lighting editor in action here along with a small snippet of the unreleased Dark Sorcerer making of: http://www.gdcvault.com/play/1019347/The-Dark-Sorcerer-and-Beyond

Shin-Ra

Every close-up in Beyond and Dark Sorcerer has designer adjusted lighting. Over 20000 shots if I remember correctly for Beyond. That's why the faces during close-ups look especially stunning for PS3 hardware, they spend a lot of manpower on this. You can see their cutscene and close-up lighting editor in action here along with a small snippet of the unreleased Dark Sorcerer making of: http://www.gdcvault.com/play/1019347/The-Dark-Sorcerer-and-Beyond
Hadn't seen this either!

(I meant developers other than QD though, self shadowing still frequently looks shit, even on PC at max settings)

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
The PS3 version is being sold at Best Buy for $10 for In store pick up.

If you don't want to wait for the PS4 version, then this is about as perfect an opportunity to pick up the original as it's going to get.

I enjoyed what I've played of Beyond so far (got distracted and stopped playing it)... but for me Heavy Rain was a better story/game.

I would seriously consider double dipping, but would love a Heavy Rain/Beyond double pack... think that would be awesome. Make it happen Sony.

sense

Beyond and gowa free on plus to celebrate 20th anniversary. This is my guess for them being rumored for so long but not revealed

Aces&Eights

If you liked Heavy Rain, then you'll probably like it. Can't say the writing is all that great overall, but it's far more focused IMO despite the story being told out of order. Game does suffer some major pacing issues.

Navajo mission alone is worth the price of admission.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I suspect they'll try to slip this into some quiet month next year.

The question is whether they will promote it heavily like they did with Last of Us-remastered or if it will be just a simple port being sold on the cheap.

I suspect this will be more of a simple port.

Hopefully God of War Ascension is also announced since it has been several months since Shinobi tweeted on it.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
It hasn't been announced yet, thus we have no idea.

Most people are hoping its a double pack that also contains Heavy Rain.

I never played Beyond as I was saving money for the PS4, I'll bet I'm not the only one either. Personally I hope they remaster GoW3 and package it with GoWA, as GoW3 is the best action game I have ever played

Hopefully God of War Ascension is also announced since it has been several months since Shinobi tweeted on it.

Wouldn't be surprised if Sony's relooking into packing Ascension port with maybe a GoW3 port as well.

Remasters/ports nowadays are a tough sell without being seen as good value. Some games can get away with it, no doubt (GTAV), but some games end up bomba-ing. (Sleeping Dogs)

I was going to wait for this but Best Buy put the PS3 version on sale for $10, so picked it up for $8 shipped w GCU discount. From what I've heard even critical haters say its pretty good for this price. I'm sure the PS4 version will have some nice improvements but I'm guessing they will launch it at full retail price or $49.99 at best, unless someone knows otherwise? They were trying to sell the PS3 digital download for $60 just a few weeks ago, which is ridiculous.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Wouldn't be surprised if Sony's relooking into packing Ascension port with maybe a GoW3 port as well.

Remasters/ports nowadays are a tough sell without being seen as good value. Some games can get away with it, no doubt (GTAV), but some games end up bomba-ing. (Sleeping Dogs)

I agree with the value proposition. Sleeping Dogs is supposedly very sloppy and I would be ok if it was not $60

dr_rus

Good value is about price as well as content. Sell the sucker for $20 and even I might bite again.

Top Bottom