• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bill Burr and Nia discuss ways to deal with sexism/homophobia

commedieu

Banned
Bill bur is privileged.

The reason folks are called out, is because of historic inaction. You're already fucking up if you're a racist, or a sexist, or a bigot, etc. You have the luxury of not even knowing what the world is like that you contribute to. Simple people don't understand that there are levels to institutional sexism/racism/homophobia. It's not all 0 to hitler.

Society allows this to flow, and the most powerful people, do nothing about it. So the onus goes to the underprivileged classes to fight for themselves and convince others that the sky is blue?

Taking your ball and going home because you don't like being called a moron is another privileged action. Minorities don't get the ball to begin with. We always have to put up with Bullshit daily. Prove that we arent x,y,z. Every day is navigating Bullshit, from people who aren't racist..yet saying the most racist things. Or people who aren't sexist, saying or doing the most sexist things. But they get away with it because they're a class majority. Other groups are called out all the time by media, comedians, politicians, but don't dare start it with certain people. Because they'll just leave the conversation and vote for a fascist if you do. And why not, they won't be, as, affected due to their privilege.

Those people being called out don't need to introspect, because the world revolves around them. Even the poor ones are still in a better position than poor Minorities.

when guys get together for beers, we say the stupidest shit.

he is right, if we were recorded at all times, we would all be fired

The stupid shit I say when drunk devolves at worst into puns or pop culture jokes.
The bigoted shit Burr capes for isn't something everyone does, drunk or not. I don't buy into the crappy narrative that we all descend below that bar in private.

ThisGuy

The stupid shit I say when drunk devolves at worst into puns or pop culture jokes.
The bigoted shit Burr capes for isn't something everyone does, drunk or not. I don't buy into the crappy narrative that we all descend below that bar in private.

That's nice that you don't. But if I had to place a bet on who there is more of, I'd put money on bill burr.

Yet in the fight against bigotry I understand the need for a hard line. It makes sense.

I'd really love to see bills immediate reaction to a black guy saying some racist, this is GAF so prejudice 😉, shit against white people. Would he still go this hard for that stance? Or is this some kind of save the white man thing.

Slayven

Bigoted people need to be called out by their family and friends, but that almost never happens. This "meeting in the middle" is such a bullshit stance and legitimizes so much hate. "Gays just want to adopt kids to indoctrinate them into being gay", how do you meet in the middle with that?

honestly feels like people want to do something without really doing something

Bill bur is privileged.

The reason folks are called out, is because of historic inaction. You're already fucking up if you're a racist, or a sexist, or a bigot, etc. You have the luxury of not even knowing what the world is like that you contribute to. Simple people don't understand that there are levels to institutional sexism/racism/homophobia. It's not all 0 to hitler.

Society allows this to flow, and the most powerful people, do nothing about it. So the onus goes to the underprivileged classes to fight for themselves and convince others that the sky is blue?

Taking your ball and going home because you don't like being called a moron is another privileged action. Minorities don't get the ball to begin with. We always have to put up with Bullshit daily. Prove that we arent x,y,z. Every day is navigating Bullshit, from people who aren't racist..yet saying the most racist things. Or people who aren't sexist, saying or doing the most sexist things. But they get away with it because they're a class majority. Other groups are called out all the time by media, comedians, politicians, but don't dare start it with certain people. Because they'll just leave the conversation and vote for a fascist if you do. And why not, they won't be, as, affected due to their privilege.

Those people being called out don't need to introspect, because the world revolves around them. Even the poor ones are still in a better position than poor Minorities.

Sad it better then me

What about that black guy who goes around befriending KKK members and ends up turning them away from racism and he keeps their hoods as trophies? Is he bad for doing this or heroic?

I'm inclined to agree with you but there is examples of personals stories where 'common ground' does win out. Not really something you can apply to larger social tensions or racism I guess though

Good on him, that's surely commendable and brave (with a tinge of that crazy that braveness requires in such a situation). But I'm uncertain if that's common ground at all.

A KKK member giving up their robe, their hatred, and their wanting of that man erased isn't finding a common ground. That is their side giving up everything and the black man's side not giving up anything.

They didn't meet in the middle. He made them come completely over to his side. There is no middle ground in "I deserve to exist and you should respect that."

Alternatively, if he punched the KKK member, stole/disposed his robe, got him fired or publicly humiliated, any of those, I'd ALSO consider him a hero.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
You know I find Bill Burr a funny dude but I don't think I'd ever want to listen to his take on social issues. His show F is for Family is full of a lot of racist bull shit and I'm sometimes not sure if they're just making jokes based on the setting or going overboard and just filling the show with some bigoted shit. Its a pretty good show actually but there are a lot of one of jokes that just seem there to go,"See racism is funny!" with nothing else to it.

gfxtwin

As I've been saying for a while now, if you want a healthy and productive form of stress relief, get a twitter or facebook account and use the psychology of bigots against them in a way that makes them out themselves publicly. If you think that ever gets old, you're wrong!

so you are telling me than during your raging homrone years in your late-teens to early-20s that you and your friends never said stupid shit about women and your sexual phantasies of how many tits and asses you would love to have on your face?

guys after a game, talking about a good looking woman that passed him then comment amongst themselves about her hotness and then say stupid shit amongst themselves

seriously? you telling me that everyone is so pius and never talked about stupid shit that would be considered sexist if it were recorded?

Slayven

Good on him, that's surely commendable and brave (with a tinge of that crazy that braveness requires in such a situation). But I'm uncertain if that's common ground at all.

A KKK member giving up their robe, their hatred, and their wanting of that man erased isn't finding a common ground. That is their side giving up everything and the black man's side not giving up anything.

They didn't meet in the middle. He made them come completely over to his side. There is no middle ground in "I deserve to exist and you should respect that."

Alternatively, if he punched the KKK member, stole/disposed his robe, got him fired or publicly humiliated, any of those, I'd ALSO consider him a hero.

People always bring that dude up, with out any self awareness "See he goes out and convinces these people of his humanity, why can't you do that?"

There is a great TV show in my country. They take a group of people who have an opinion on a certain problem. Immigration/ refugees for instance. And the opinions on this problem vary from extreme right to extreme fairytale gumbaya left. Then they take these people and confront them with real refugees, they go to the country where these people came from and they show them what situation like. They show all sides of the problem and they discuss. And it doesn't change just the bigots or racists for the better. But also the higher ground PC people become more human.

Show is called "fuck off to your own country!" (free translation)

HStallion

you telling me that you and your friends never talked about NSFW stuff?

I fully admit I did but I made a concerted effort to stop even if people said I wasn't as funny as I used to be or was harder to talk to. I just didn't feel comfortable at all dropping tasteless jokes to get an easy laugh anymore and even moved away from certain groups of friends who never got over that phase and even became actively negative towards me when I didn't want a part of it anymore.

Loxley

You know I find Bill Burr a funny dude but I don't think I'd ever want to listen to his take on social issues. His show F is for Family is full of a lot of racist bull shit and I'm sometimes not sure if they're just making jokes based on the setting or going overboard and just filling the show with some bigoted shit. Its a pretty good show actually but there are a lot of one of jokes that just seem there to go,"See racism is funny!" with nothing else to it.

I've been listening to Burr's podcast for a while now and, yeah, you basically need to tune out anytime he talks about white privilege or feminism.

What about that black guy who goes around befriending KKK members and ends up turning them away from racism and he keeps their hoods as trophies? Is he bad for doing this or heroic?

I'm inclined to agree with you but there is examples of personals stories where 'common ground' does win out. Not really something you can apply to larger social tensions or racism I guess though
As long as we don't hold up that one black dude who educated KKK people which was made into a big public case because it was an exception of it working instead of as the standard to how minorities should act with bigots. As long as white allies sort the white bigots out amongst themselves, so we don't have to waste as much of our time. I'm sure the bigots would prefer to be taught by their own, too.

I fully admit I did but I made a concerted effort to stop even if people said I wasn't as funny as I used to be or was harder to talk to. I just didn't feel comfortable at all dropping tasteless jokes to get an easy laugh anymore and even moved away from certain groups of friends who never got over that phase and even became actively negative towards me when I didn't want a part of it anymore.

I agree that with age, exposure on the workforce and the city helps mature a young adult male to be more "behaved" as he ages and mature.

I can tell the difference in a span of 20 years of adulthood, an evolution of maturing, life experience, various friendships and work collegues expands the mind.

But, rewind back to young adults in their early 20s, they say stupid ass shit and takes time for them to learn to mature the fuck up and realize what they can say or not.

That's why I think that Social Media today can really ruing teenagers real bad for life in a time that they don't know any better

I just don't think him or his co-creator(?) are that great at writing a scripted serial cartoon. Those joke worked in the first season as skewering the era, but with the second season they're merely repeating that idea without adding anything to it. There's other problem with the show, but that's the most blatant sore spot.

As for his podcast, the best Bill can do in social issues is spurt out a quick off-color joke and move on. Given any more time he more often than not throws up his hands and basks in his willful ignorance.

Bit-Bit

Do I want to waste my time listening to a professional bellend discuss homophobia and sexism?

I'll give it a miss, thanks
You entering this thread and making that post is a waste of life. Go do things you enjoy and have a better life.

Takuan

I love that they can get into a heated debate and then go back to being completely civil / loving. I wish more people were capable of doing that.

As for his podcast, the best Bill can do in social issues is spurt out a quick off-color joke and move on. Given any more time he more often than not throws up his hands and basks in his willful ignorance.
Hey, fair enough! Fair enough.

Artdayne

I tend to agree with Bill Burr here, though I think he's wrong about the email/message that started the conversation. That was a tasteless joke that was pretty ignorant. So there does need to be some change at the government level, particularly referring to the hardships that minorities tend to face with the police and I think it's perfectly well and good to stand up and shout and be f'ing angry about that shit, not just about cop killing but racial profiling in general.

I also think that unless your goal is to just mass slaughter anyone you deem as a racist, you're going to have to live in this world and somehow work with them to get them out of the brainwashing and propaganda that was fed into them in their little echo chambers of bigoted hate. I mean, white people will remain the majority race in America for the foreseeable future and of course those powerful white families that have loads of money will continue to have it as they pass it down to their children. There's plenty to be done, but I also think positive personal experiences that an individual has with a minority, someone of a different sexual orientation these things can lead to a powerful change of opinion. It's not fair to those who are disenfranchised and as a white person I will always do what I can to call people out when I see people say something racist or sexist and I get that it can be a very tiring and exhausting but I'm not sure there's another solution to the problem than slowly lifting that horrible way of thinking out of them.

entremet

That's the point. He's satirizing that era. He also skewers racism in general in his standup and he's not shy about talking about Boston racism, his hometown.

HStallion

That's the point. He's satirizing that era. He also skewers racism in general in his standup and he's not shy about talking about Boston racism, his hometown.

Yeah except after a while the jokes are just repeating themselves over and over and the jokes were wearing thin by the end of the first season. Seeing Colt Luger call a woman a dumb broad for the twentieth time wasn't exactly funny. As I said, its not clever and comes off as just going for the easiest, lamest shitty joke and actually undercuts and scathing commentary or what not they may have been trying to make.

Some of the racial stuff does work like the couple of black characters as they have some pretty incredible reactions to Frank's general apathy and racist comments but there is a lot of other shit in there that just comes off as forced and unfunny, especially repeated a dozen times.

This represents a large shift in goalposts from "everyone talks like this," and Burr never once mentioned this angle, so I'm losing confidence that you're arguing in good faith.

young people are stupid and say stupid shit.

only by going into the real world do they learn how stupid their voices sounded , it's a learning curve

young people are stupid and say stupid shit.

only by going into the real world do they learn how stupid their voices sounded , it's a learning curve

Fair.

But my default position is to not make exceptions for people because one time when they were fresh out of high school they made bigoted humor so that means I should give them all the second chances they need once they start families, have high profile public careers, own property, etc. At some point things stop being 'youthful indiscretions' and real consequences must take hold.

At some point things stop being 'youthful indiscretions' and real consequences must take hold.

Of course (though it's not just youthful). If it turns out no conversation is possible with a person, because he or she is just unwilling to listen to anything, then fuck 'm. I hope these people all die fast or fuck off to a place far from society. There is nothing good you can expect of them. Point is: most people are willing to make it work. More than you and other people expect. They're often stuck in a group of people and social structure/ pattern that keeps them ignorant. There is a responsibility for all of us, i agree. Especially for parents. But sometimes we should try and show them how great a life is where all are considered equal. And they just need to experience first hand that people everywhere aren't all that different.

It's amazing how relaxed things become when that nonsense is gone.

Budi

Of course (though it's not just youthful). If it turns out no conversation is possible with a person, because he or she is just unwilling to listen to anything, then fuck 'm. I hope these people all die fast or fuck off to a place far from society. There is nothing good you can expect of them. Point is: most people are willing to make it work. More than you and other people expect. They're often stuck in a group of people and social structure/ pattern that keeps them ignorant. There is a responsibility for all of us, i agree. Especially for parents. But sometimes we should try and show them how great a life is where all are considered equal. And they just need to experience first hand that people everywhere aren't all that different.

It's amazing how relaxed things become when that nonsense is gone.
I've been challenging people around me many times for questionable views and things they've said or done. I really hope that's not for nothing. I feel that atleast on few people the discussions definitely had some impact and they are more aware of the problems minorities face. Some people sure are beyond redemption, with those people I don't engage with and want to have nothing to do with.

HiResDes

Bill bur is privileged.

Man well said.

PFD

Not trying to thread shit; but how do you guys listen to this for more than a few minutes? Bill Burr is a good comedian.. but it's strange to me he also makes a living readng emails with his 3rd grade reading level and doofusy random comments. Someone send Burr some hooked on phonics.

Half the fun is listening to him struggle to read those emails though

TACPhilly

Banned
How the fuck are they married

its not even about how "opposites attract"

its the fact that they can sit down and have discussions over hot topics, have very different opinions, and somehow not kill each other! all the while knowing that even though you have different opinions and can argue, its comforting knowing that youre safe to say what you think to somebody because they love you, regardless of wether or not they disagree, and arent there to judge you, even if they think youre wrong.

HStallion

its not even about how "opposites attract"

its the fact that they can sit down and have discussions over hot topics, have very different opinions, and somehow not kill each other! all the while knowing that even though you have different opinions and can argue, its comforting knowing that youre safe to say what you think to somebody because they love you, regardless of wether or not they disagree, and arent there to judge you, even if they think youre wrong.

Well as someone said earlier if you can make someone laugh, you've already got a big in. That or Burr is packing a monster down South.

TACPhilly

Banned
Well as someone said earlier if you can make someone laugh, you've already got a big in. That or Burr is packing a monster down South.

i hope his little bald ass does LOL. really though, hes made me laugh so hard so many times he deserves a good woman. especially one willing set him straight from time to time. who wants a partner that just 100% agrees with you on everything?! pretty boring if you ask me.

I've been challenging people around me many times for questionable views and things they've said or done. I really hope that's not for nothing. I feel that atleast on few people the discussions definitely had some impact and they are more aware of the problems minorities face. Some people sure are beyond redemption, with those people I don't engage with and want to have nothing to do with.

Yeah when its clear they're that kind of person, i'll avoid them like the plague.

Cyframe

I tend to agree with Bill Burr here, though I think he's wrong about the email/message that started the conversation. That was a tasteless joke that was pretty ignorant. So there does need to be some change at the government level, particularly referring to the hardships that minorities tend to face with the police and I think it's perfectly well and good to stand up and shout and be f'ing angry about that shit, not just about cop killing but racial profiling in general.

I also think that unless your goal is to just mass slaughter anyone you deem as a racist, you're going to have to live in this world and somehow work with them to get them out of the brainwashing and propaganda that was fed into them in their little echo chambers of bigoted hate. I mean, white people will remain the majority race in America for the foreseeable future and of course those powerful white families that have loads of money will continue to have it as they pass it down to their children. There's plenty to be done, but I also think positive personal experiences that an individual has with a minority, someone of a different sexual orientation these things can lead to a powerful change of opinion. It's not fair to those who are disenfranchised and as a white person I will always do what I can to call people out when I see people say something racist or sexist and I get that it can be a very tiring and exhausting but I'm not sure there's another solution to the problem than slowly lifting that horrible way of thinking out of them.

I can tell you what happens if a "racist" finds a Black person to be acceptable. They see them as an exception to the rule and still parade around their bigotry noting you as an outstanding model minority. So personal interaction doesn't really do anything.

What more can we really say about this? There are libraries detailing the entire history of racial oppression. The information is more accessible than ever before. But they still need an unpaid guide? I'd like to reduce my chances of developing hypertension, as it's an issue in the Black community.

I do see your optimism here and I'm glad you call things out when you see it. But Bill should be talking to I dunno, white men about their behavior instead of someone who is marginalized reaching a boiling point after no doubt more than a few encounters that left them feeling helpless.

There are people out there, whose stance is "Everyone who isn't white and straight needs to be removed from this earth".

Having the "common ground" discussion isn't a fruitful one because there is no common ground. There is no meeting someone "halfway" on wanting a pure aryan race. And most of them are late enough in life that they've mostly made up their minds. I have enough problems listening to people complain about liberal media, publicly. Sitting down and talking with them isn't doing shit. They literally run through their talking points, and no amount of "Mhm, yes, I understand" will ever get them to open up to anything you have to say. They want to dictate to you, what the truth of the world is. They are not interested in "listening" to you having a conversation, no matter how willing you are to listen to them.

These are the kind of people that erode your willingness to "sit down and talk". And I imagine for those who have to deal with the level of abuse they get day in and day out from these kind of people, it's not that they can't find the time to dedicate, it's they would rather kill themselves than have to talk to the people who routinely abuse and insult them them day in and day out.

Thanks for taking the time to write out such a thoughtful reply!

This is wonderfully put, and I fully agree, there are people who can not be persuaded, especially in a single conversation. I think you're correct that there is no common ground for something as destructive as genocide, but I ask you to consider it from a different angle.

The common ground isn't in the point of the belief itself, but rather the effects of the belief.

Everyone has at one point become disillusioned, has seen the world one way and then come to see it another, feeling lost and dumbfounded in the process. It is painful to have to go through these changes, doubly so if you are asking someone to realize that they have taken a stance that is racist and harmful to others, and themselves. These conversations have to be done delicately. It's too easy to say they don't deserve the time or respect for holding such beliefs, it's much harder to look at them compassionately, but if you realize that it could just as easily be you holding those beliefs, it becomes much easier to sympathise with their plight, and much easier to approach the conversation constructively.

In cases where you feel you are not going to find this common ground, i refer again to my previous comment: "The most effective strategy, time after time after time this last decade has always been to forgive, and offer a hand, and to move on if it is cast away, perhaps for the next individual to try at it in their passing."

The key is that you had the conversation, and you started the process of re-examination, which will hopefully be fortified if the topic comes up again for that person.

Or, and this is only an "or", they think you're one of "the good ones". They still hate gays, or at the very least continue to use homophobic slurs. They just decided to make you an exception. You never changed their attitude on homosexuals, you changed their attitude on you personally. That's the problem. It's what I see every single time. My coworkers who continue to this day to say racist or homophobic things, but get instantly defensive if I ever bring up someone they know who is gay, because "They're alright". As if they can excuse the person, but the attitude in general is still there. Or because they were never challenged by the person who they're indirectly insulting, they feel they've earned the right to say that kind of stuff.

The idea that we can sit down and talk it out with these people is a scenario where you assume both people are acting and discussing in good faith. It's been increasingly clear that that's not the case. Ironically for both sides. I mean, you're not going into that conversation willing to "maybe" come out of it a little more racist. So if you're going into that conversation with a clear agenda of "my way is the right way", why would the other person be any different?
This is a harder topic to discuss, but I think it should still be considered a cause for celebration if you can make any kind of progress at all. You've still opened the door for reconsideration, and you have made progress, and you should be sure to commend them for growing as individuals in any capacity, continually fostering that good will.

Again, the idea isn't that you should be considering maybe coming out of it a little more racist, but perhaps maybe coming out a little more understanding of how someone can become racist, and how you might be able to show them a more thoughtful path.

If they are smart enough to realize what you're trying to do, and they've already made up their mind that they want to hate these people, and as long as the internet exists to help them find "some" example to justify their beliefs, I really don't see how genuinely effective, long term, "sitting down and talking" is going to do to change their minds.

Trying to make sure their children don't adopt the same attitudes as their parents seems like the more effective strategy, even if it'll take a generation for any real change to happen. That's sort of what is already happening now.

The proof is in our soceity, like I said it's easy to be cynical, and I will be sure to stress this point again: for good reason. Our society can be brutally oppressive, but likewise, it's extremely ungrateful and dare I say immature to dismiss everything that society does for us as well. There's no other society on Earth that has made the progress ours has socially, it would be nice if things could move faster, and it's important to be critical of it always, but it's not such a bad thing to appreciate the things it has given us either, and generally speaking it has been doing better than anyone else.

We've gotten to where we are on large part because we've abided by the tenants and belief that all men are equally divine. If someone doesn't understand this, it's your role has a citizen of the soceity that has fostered you to do what you can to help them see it, not from a point of manipulation or subjugation, but from a point of compassion and altruism. That's how it has always worked. That's how we've gotten this far.

Edit: And I do apologies, I have worded this as statements more-so than questions, completely against what I was trying to avoid (it is difficult not to run our mouths off), but i've pretty much gotten what i'm thinking out here. The only other point I feel I might add would be in relation to wealth, and to pose the question "how much wealth both high or low would exempt someone from ridicule? And who would make the distinction in that case?". And this isn't in response to anything you posed but to other posters in this thread.

I just feel like, making a case against compassion for any and all requires an extremely powerful and pointed example, as to pose such a case is in itself highly extreme and against what has made our society work so well, generally speaking, in the first place.

I love Bill Burr but man... That is one one-sided comments section. Shouldn't be too surprised given the channel but damn.

Bill Burr's comedy is that matter of fact man-talk comedy that resonates with the mouthbreathing bigots that litter the comments of videos like this.

Fact is, Bill would probably give them a piece of his mind if he knew how much shit his wife gets online.

Not

Banned
Bill Burr's comedy is that matter of fact man-talk comedy that resonates with the mouthbreathing bigots that litter the comments of videos like this.

Fact is, Bill would probably give them a piece of his mind if he knew how much shit his wife gets online.

I'm sure he knows. How could he not? He just chooses not to chew out what is probably the majority of his audience for whatever reason.

I still respect Bill Burr, he's a smart guy (much smarter than his base), but I'm by no means on board for all the stuff he stands for.

Top Bottom