• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bill Nye Saves the World Trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
The Sex Junk thing is great if you've watched Crazy Ex-Girlfriend.

If you haven't (and there is no prerequisite for Bill Nye's show, of course) you're probably, and appropriately, like what the fuck is going on?

scitek

I thought the first episode was trash, then gave the second a shot and found it to be much better. I don't really like the format, though. It's not what I expected or wanted.

The Lamp

This sex episode is actually really good besides the performance. I liked the abacus metaphor and k-pop segment. The problem is the quality of this show is wildly inconsistent and the show is badly edited. He also has occasional dips into insanity and preachiness that is just cringeworthy like Mr Denzel Crocker.

Drain You

Binged through the entire show in the past few days. Bill has a real likable personality. I'm trying to get my mom to watch this now. She believes in a lot of those weird alternative medidicines, crystals was the first one that came to mind. My only real complaint about the show is I wish they were a bit longer, I would have liked for them to go in depth more about certain subjects. I especially felt as though they three person panels were cut short.

aett

Not understanding the hate for Sex Junk, but then, I'm a fan of Bloom from Crazy Ex-girlfriend. It's deliberately silly with a good message.

im enjoying it so far but by god the panels are so poorly edited, which probably also means that they were pretty poorly conducted, sadly

also bill stop doing the exploding fist bump, please

Slacker

Not understanding the hate for Sex Junk, but then, I'm a fan of Bloom from Crazy Ex-girlfriend. It's deliberately silly with a good message.

Is it a good message? It's not just "it dope to be gay." or "be comfortable with yourself." It's "give a strangers a hand jibber, make a sex stew, and something like "use a fleshlight in the moonlight?" Call me Mr Prude but I'm not seeing it. I'm honestly amazed that no one involved in the production thought this was a bad idea. I assume we're talking about a "George Lucas during Phantom Menace" situation here.

Massive cringe-factor aside I feel like this was a miscalculation for Nye. It seems inevitable that the stupid fretful moms clubs will make a big deal about this and right-wing types will brand him a kook/perv/whatever and write off everything he talks about (like climate change). I searched for the video on Reddit and it's posted on the Trump subreddit about 10 times.

Hopefully I'm wrong and it'll fade into the fog of history, popping up occasionally on those "try not to cringe" compilation videos.

im enjoying it so far but by god the panels are so poorly edited, which probably also means that they were pretty poorly conducted, sadly

also bill stop doing the exploding fist bump, please
Yeah, it constantly feels like they are cutting before someone finishes what they're saying.
Hopefully in season two they up the episode time and better edit the panels.

lazygecko

Apparently Neo Nazis like Ian Miles Cheong hate this show and are getting super salty about it on twitter.

Bill Nye, like Richard Dawkins, is popular in that atheist sphere which overlaps with what eventually became the alt reich. I imagine there is a lot of cognitive dissonance among that demographic when they watch these media personalities clash against their dogma.

The Big Think youtube channel is another good example of this since they inadvertedly cultivated the same audience. The like/dislike ratio on some of their videos are so predictable you can set your watch to it.

Pseudo_Sam

Survives without air, food, or water
Good god Bill Nye is a tool. I wanted science, not senile rambling and social preaching. Show is abysmal. If it weren't for his nostalgia pedigree he'd be dismissed out of hand.

SEX JUNK alone is enough to call into question any of Bill's "scientific" qualifications. It's been obvious for a while, but Bill Nye is an entertainer guy, not a science guy. Which I wouldn't really have an issue with if only he stopped being so damn smug about his unassailable SCIENCE KNOWLEDGE from atop his ivory tower. Dude, you're a goof with a bow tie.

Kinda skeptical about what Nye says now that I'm aware he isn't actually a scientist.
He is a science educator and he knows his stuff on science. Scientists also help write the show. Of course you should have appropriate skepticism with all science, but also be careful not to make mistakes like ad hominem arguments.

GutsOfThor

Apparently Neo Nazis like Ian Miles Cheong hate this show and are getting super salty about it on twitter.

No kidding. I see a lot of right wing snowflakes on my facebook feed upset about it. I never really got into Bill Nye but if he is upsetting right wingers, then he is cool with me.

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?

If you haven't (and there is no prerequisite for Bill Nye's show, of course) you're probably, and appropriately, like what the fuck is going on?

Nah even with the knowledge that Bloom's very talented, it's extremely cringe worthy and just terrible.

Downhome

I am absolutely stunned that any of you guys think this show is anything close to "good". Take out all social commentary, all politics, all of that stuff. I don't care. As a show, about science, with Bill Nye, it's one of the worst things I've ever seen produced. I don't even have words for it. Saying it's "targeted towards the youth of 2017" is absolutely not an excuse and shouldn't give it a pass.

Joeku

Show needs an entirely different style of production to land the way they want it to. It's like watching a pro-science Jim Bakker selling unlikely possibilities instead of buckets of food.

I am absolutely stunned that any of you guys think this show is anything close to "good". Take out all social commentary, all politics, all of that stuff. I don't care. As a show, about science, with Bill Nye, it's one of the worst things I've ever seen produced. I don't even have words for it. Saying it's "targeted towards the youth of 2017" is absolutely not an excuse and shouldn't give it a pass.

Then why are you bothering?

Pseudo_Sam

Survives without air, food, or water
Can't tell if serious or not. Why do you think he isn't an actual scientist?

He's about as much a scientist as any shmuck on the street who understands the scientific method. He's running the talk show/internet interviews circuit, not publishing papers.

Not saying he's not a sharp dude, and he's probably leaned more through the course of being a "science entertainer" than most people, but he is certainly not contributing to any active research.

Speaking of Nazis, I check in and cringe at Reddit's Donald Trump forum some times and the last time I looked it seemed like tearing down Bill Nye was their new cause, all based around him not being rigidly gender essentialist.

y2dvd

He is an engineer by education which isn't strictly a science. However, he knows a lot about science.

He's about as much a scientist as any shmuck on the street who understands the scientific method. He's running the talk show/internet interviews circuit, not publishing papers.

Not saying he's not a sharp dude, and he's probably leaned more through the course of being a "science entertainer" than most people, but he is certainly not contributing to any active research.

"Nye has a B.S. in mechanical engineering from Cornell. He also has six honorary doctorate degrees, including Ph.D.s in science from Goucher College and Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute.

He held various positions as an engineer between 1977 to 2009, such as contributing to the designs of 747 planes for Boeing and the designs of equipment used to clean up oil spills.

From 1999 to 2009, Nye worked with a team at the NASA and California Institute of Technology’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory to design and create the MarsDial, a sundial and camera calibrator attached to the Mars Exploration Rover.

Nye also holds three patents: a redesigned ballet toe shoe, a digital abacus (a kind of calculator) and an educational lens.

Nye has written books on science, including “Undeniable” and “Unstoppable,” which cover evolution and climate change, respectively.
This is all in addition to decades of work in science advocacy and education, including acting as CEO of The Planetary Society and teaching as a professor at Cornell.

To sum up, Nye has a degree and experience working in engineering, which is the application of science. He has also spent much of his career working with and for the scientific community."

http://www.factcheck.org/2016/04/palin-as-much-a-scientist-as-bill-nye/

Is Bill Nye a science expert in every field of topics he discuss? No, but he qualifies as a scientist.

Is Bill Nye a science expert in every field of topics he discuss? No, but he qualifies as a scientist.
It is very impressive and his experience doesn't go against what I said but it's a great response to people trying to diminish Nye's knowledge in science: as well as saying that criticisms are directed at him rather than what he says.

Engineering uses science but it isn't a science itself and the non-engineering science degrees were honorary. But he doesn't need to be a scientist to be an expert in science, and he's certainly 'more of a scientist' than the vastest majority of non-scientists.

caliph95

Nah i'll defend Crazy Ex and is one of my favourite of the CW shows right now.

This video is still horrible the worst song on that show is a thousand times better than this abomination

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
It is very impressive and his experience doesn't go against what I said but it's a great response to people trying to diminish Nye's knowledge in science: as well as saying that criticisms are directed at him rather than what he says.

Engineering uses science but it isn't a science itself and the non-engineering science degrees were honorary. But he doesn't need to be a scientist to be an expert in science, and he's certainly 'more of a scientist' than the vastest majority of non-scientists.

Wait, if engineering isn't a science, then what is?

Nah, bro. I'm a huge fan of Rachel Bloom and Crazy Ex-GF. That show is hilarious, and the song parodies are usually fantastic. This song just seems so try-hard.

Wait, if engineering isn't a science, then what is?
The Dean of Boston University's College of Engineering: "Engineers are not a sub-category of scientists. So often the two terms are used interchangeably, but they are separate, albeit related, disciplines. Scientists explore the natural world and show us how and why it is as it is. Discovery is the essence of science. Engineers innovate solutions to real-world challenges in society. While it is true that engineering without science could be haphazard; without engineering, scientific discovery would be a merely an academic pursuit."
http://www.bu.edu/eng/about/deans-welcome/dean-lutchen/engineering-is-not-science/

A professor of engineering at Duke University: "Science is about understanding the origins, nature, and behavior of the universe and all it contains; engineering is about solving problems by rearranging the stuff of the world to make new things. Conflating these separate objectives leads to uninformed opinions, which in turn can delay or misdirect management, effort, and resources."
http://spectrum.ieee.org/at-work/tech-careers/engineering-is-not-science (there is a lot of arguments in the comments there about this)

But I don't have a particular interest or specific knowledge about this. It seemed to be the mainstream engineer view.

Zyae

"Nye has a B.S. in mechanical engineering from Cornell. He also has six honorary doctorate degrees, including Ph.D.s in science from Goucher College and Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute.

He held various positions as an engineer between 1977 to 2009, such as contributing to the designs of 747 planes for Boeing and the designs of equipment used to clean up oil spills.

From 1999 to 2009, Nye worked with a team at the NASA and California Institute of Technology’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory to design and create the MarsDial, a sundial and camera calibrator attached to the Mars Exploration Rover.

Nye also holds three patents: a redesigned ballet toe shoe, a digital abacus (a kind of calculator) and an educational lens.

Nye has written books on science, including “Undeniable” and “Unstoppable,” which cover evolution and climate change, respectively.
This is all in addition to decades of work in science advocacy and education, including acting as CEO of The Planetary Society and teaching as a professor at Cornell.

To sum up, Nye has a degree and experience working in engineering, which is the application of science. He has also spent much of his career working with and for the scientific community."

I love how people always try and say "he only has a BS in engineering!" Guy is clearly very smart and more qualified than most to talk about this stuff.

PixlNinja

Banned

I actually didn't even know that until this came out and some co-workers were talking about it and had basically said that he's a mechanical engineer and has a tendency to speak more from a place of ideaology than one of facts.

The Lamp

I mean he's a mechanical engineer so he has showed competence in science way more than the average schmuck. I have produced and published academic research at only the bachelors level in engineering. ¯_(ツ)_/¯ I guess taking years of physics, chemistry, and biology doesn't make you any more scientific than the average schmuck lol

I was there on day zero with Crazy Ex-Girlfriend and it's one of my currently produced shows but that was baaaaaad, this pretty much sums up my reaction to watching that segment.

OkvwqmM.gif

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.

This is the new thing going on. Because he went to school for engineering everyone assumes he knows jack shit about science. People are hating on him now all of the sudden.

Speaking of Nazis, I check in and cringe at Reddit's Donald Trump forum some times and the last time I looked it seemed like tearing down Bill Nye was their new cause, all based around him not being rigidly gender essentialist.
I lurk on r/conservative from time to time (t_d is too much of a nazi shithole for me to look at). It seems like their favorite new thing is to laugh at liberals for daring to say there's more than two genders. I really, really don't get it. Why is that the hill they want to die on?

He's "Bill Nye the Science Guy." If he said he was "Bill Nye the Scientist" we'd have a problem. But he's just labeling himself a science enthusiast.

JP_

Banned
It feels like this is the cheapest way to produce a show. No extra takes, easier to edit, etc. But wow is it bad.

The best parts are the short clips they had pre-recorded.

Cindro

My Sex Junk - Rachel Bloom - Bill Nye Saves The World

One of the greatest atrocities in the history of mankind.

There are no words for what I have just seen.
Good lord. Advocating for indiscriminate kinky sex in a children's science show? I knew Nye was liberal, but I didn't realize he was just as off-the-deep-end as some of the ultra-conservatives he rallies against.

The song was hilariously pathetic, so I at least wrangled some enjoyment out of it from that perspective, but I have a young sister who loves watching science shows on TV and Netflix and I had to send an emergency text to my mom telling her to make sure she isn't tuning in to this. Absolutely insane.

Good lord. Advocating for indiscriminate kinky sex in a children's science show? I knew Nye was liberal, but I didn't realize he was just as off-the-deep-end as some of the ultra-conservatives he rallies against.

The song was hilariously pathetic, so I at least wrangled some enjoyment out of it from that perspective, but I have a young sister who loves watching science shows on TV and Netflix and I had to send an emergency text to my mom telling her to make sure she isn't tuning in to this. Absolutely insane.
It isn't a children's show. Check the rating. He says at the start of the first episode that it is for adults. Come on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom