• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bill Nye Saves the World Trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good lord. Advocating for indiscriminate kinky sex in a children's science show? I knew Nye was liberal, but I didn't realize he was just as off-the-deep-end as some of the ultra-conservatives he rallies against.

The song was hilariously pathetic, so I at least wrangled some enjoyment out of it from that perspective, but I have a young sister who loves watching science shows on TV and Netflix and I had to send an emergency text to my mom telling her to make sure she isn't tuning in to this. Absolutely insane.
This is one of those beautiful posts where it's fun how far someone will go because of their own ignorance of clearly stated, easily discovered facts. (<-- Bill Nye is so relevant)

Cindro

It isn't a children's show. Check the rating. He says at the start of the first episode that it is for adults. Come on.

i thought he explained it was a show for adults on the first episode
My mistake! I have only seen this clip from the show - I just assumed it was for a younger demographic because it's Bill Nye + it's presented in a manner that screams "adults desperately trying to speak to the youth in their language and getting it hilariously wrong"

Who is the target audience then? Repressed conservative adults who need to hear a hip-hop song about how it's okay to be attracted to a woodland sprite?

My mistake! I have only seen this clip from the show - I just assumed it was for a younger demographic because it's Bill Nye + it's presented in a manner that screams "adults desperately trying to speak to the youth in their language and getting it hilariously wrong"

Who is the target audience then? Repressed conservative adults who need to hear a hip-hop song about how it's okay to be attracted to a woodland sprite?

I can understand being frustrated and put off by the delivery of the message, but it's just kinda weird that you're so put off by the message itself of sexual liberty.

Cindro

I can understand being frustrated and put off by the delivery of the message, but it's just kinda weird that you're so put off by the message itself of sexual liberty.
That's not it at all. The message itself is technically fine, but if you're trying to cultivate self-acceptance in kids who are curious about the attractions they are developing, the topic shouldn't be presented in this over-the-top "WOOOOO BUTT SEX AND FLESHLIGHTS!" sort of way. There's a difference between wanting everyone to be comfortable in their sexuality without fear of judgment or bullying vs. telling impressionable young people "HAVE ALL THE WEIRD SEX YOU WANT WITHOUT FEAR, IT'S OKAY BECAUSE SCIENCE!"

But I was wrong about this being aimed at kinds, so I concede my point was misguided.

That's not it at all. The message itself is technically fine, but if you're trying to cultivate self-acceptance in kids who are curious about the attractions they are developing, the topic shouldn't be presented in this over-the-top "WOOOOO BUTT SEX AND FLESHLIGHTS!" sort of way. There's a difference between wanting everyone to be comfortable in their sexuality without fear of judgment or bullying vs. telling impressionable young people "HAVE ALL THE WEIRD SEX YOU WANT WITHOUT FEAR, IT'S OKAY BECAUSE SCIENCE!"

But I was wrong about this being aimed at kinds, so I concede my point was misguided.
Check out anything in the rest of the episode. Perhaps the segment immediately afterwards with the mannequins (22 minutes in, episode 9).

Cindro

Check out anything in the rest of the episode. Perhaps the segment immediately afterwards with the mannequins (22 minutes in, episode 9).
I just did, and hey, it looks like I was right! While this show maybe isn't aimed at young children, it's still TV-14.

14 year-olds are in middle school. Bill also says in that mannequin segment, "How about attraction? Some people argue the natural thing is to only be attracted to the opposite sex. But in practice, it ain't so simple kids!"

So yeah, I stand by my original comment, because at least some elements of this show are clearly aimed at a young demographic. Encouraging hormonal eighth-graders that sex is some inconsequential act they should engage in whenever they want is colossally stupid. There are far more factors that should go into a decision like that other than just "is this morally okay?" Especially at that age!

How many sexually-active kids from when you were in middle school (or even high school) handled their intimate relationships well? I'm guessing the number is right around 0%.

EDIT: One more time, just to clarify, I absolutely think youngsters should be taught self-acceptance if they fall outside the traditional norm of sexuality. Nobody should be made fun of or feel lesser about themselves because they have uncommon attractions.

I just did, and hey, it looks like I was right! While this show maybe isn't aimed at young children, it's still TV-14.

14 year-olds are in middle school. Bill also says in that mannequin segment, "How about attraction? Some people argue the natural thing is to only be attracted to the opposite sex. But in practice, it ain't so simple kids!"

So yeah, I stand by my original comment, because at least some elements of this show are clearly aimed at a young demographic. Encouraging hormonal eighth-graders that sex is some inconsequential act they should engage in whenever they want is colossally stupid. There are far more factors that should go into a decision like that other than just "is this morally okay?" Especially at that age!

How many sexually-active kids from when you were in middle school handled their intimate relationships well? I'm guessing the number is right around 0%.
"It ain't so simple, kids!" is a turn of phrase that doesn't mean he is actually addressing children.

JP_

Banned
And TV-14 doesn't mean the target audience is 14 year olds. It means the rating agency didn't find enough violence/sex to warrant TV-M (like dismemberment, nudity, etc). You're being ridiculous.

Cindro

"It ain't so simple, kids!" is a turn of phrase that doesn't mean he is actually addressing children.
That phrase on its own doesn't prove anything, but combine it with everything else (celebrity cameos, an awful hip-hop song/dance number, using phrases like "sex junk," etc.) and it paints a pretty clear picture of the crowd they're gearing this toward.

I know his heart is in the right place, and more kids/teens could absolutely benefit from scientific literacy, but it seems like the execution went hilariously wrong somewhere along the way.

Cindro

Let's not bother.
I'm not trying to ruffle feathers. I just don't see approaching the topic of sexuality as a binary scale, where the two main viewpoints are variations of either "You're a bad person if you have sex before marriage!" or "Everything is allowed, so you should have crazy sex all the time!"

There's far more nuance to the issue, and it often feels like liberals try to over-correct the lessons taught by conservative repression by taking it to these silly extremes. There are dangers to both approaches, so it's disheartening when a mainstream scientist with actual credibility sours his overall message with stuff like this.

We can agree to disagree though!

lazygecko

Man, of course my YouTube recommendation feed is getting completely flooded with "Bill Nye is a filthy libtard CUCK" type videos now just because I happened to view something related to him at some point.

JP_

Banned
Man, of course my YouTube recommendation feed is getting completely flooded with "Bill Nye is a filthy libtard CUCK" type videos now just because I happened to view something related to him at some point.
I think perhaps more than Facebook, YouTube's recommendation engine is responsible for the alt right rise.

caliph95

I think perhaps more than Facebook, YouTube's recommendation engine is responsible for the alt right rise.
You watch one level headed subject about race and gender in fiction or one of the anitisjw by accident or curiosity or a controversial trailer and suddenly your recommendations is filled with Sjws and red pill videos

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom