• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Billions |OT| Starring Paul Giamatti & Damian Lewis - Sundays 10/9c

Status
Not open for further replies.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
I say god damn, fantastic finale.

Last scene was brilliant.

Now we wait for Season 2.

Shame there isn't much discussion here on GAF, this show is FANTASTIC. Acting and music is ace.

Puppen

Banned
That was a very good finale. I love how bug eyed crazy Damien Lewis gets when pressed like in that last scene, and Giamatti is a powerhouse.

This show really is underrated. It went from being something I checked out on a whim (and because of my fondness for the two leads), but it quickly became one of the few shows I actually looked forward to on a week-to-week basis.

Plus, playing "spot the actor from X show" was always fun (The Blacklist, The Americans, Halt and Catch Fire...)

NYR

Finale was great, that last scene showed what happens when you give great actors some great dialogue.

CoolOff

Damian Lewis eyes darting back and forth works so much better as Axe compared to Homeland.

It's less "I'm a paranoid crazy person" and more "damn, this guys mind constantly goes 1000 mph".

Qvoth

literally loled when he said the nagasaki line
epicest line ever
p0QHO.gif

TheOddOne

- Vulture: Billions Was a More Fascinating Show in Its Second Half.
If Billions were as consistently excellent throughout as it was in these moments, it would be one of the best dramas on the air. Unfortunately, there’s a lot of air in the plotting, a lot of subplots that just aren’t compelling (I don’t care about who’s sleeping with whom in the various offices — not on this show; I’d rather spend more time watching David Costabile’s fixer, Wags, talk to Bobby about money). There are too many moments where the storytelling seems to reboot itself to fill out an allotted 12 episodes, and too many moments where the actors and the scene have done a fine job of getting a point across but the dialogue still feels compelled to sum up for us.

And as increasingly finely detailed as Bobby’s character is, something about Damian Lewis’s performance still isn’t doing it for me. He’s very believable as a straight-up decent guy or a tortured soul, but I’ve never found him credible as a working-class East Coast guy or as a man who made billions by being off-the-cuff charming, and a financial savant, too. (I don’t know whom I’d believe in that role — Jon Bernthal, probably.) Right now the best I can say about him is that he’s doing a heroic job of overcoming seeming miscast.

mil6es

Ok that last scene was amazing, God actors in this show.....bravo

I want somebody like wags in my life haha, the cynical jolly bastard.

Just marathons this over the last few days. Good show. Season 2 needs more one on ones between Axe and Chuck. Also will be interesting to see what happens with Wendy.

BSherrod

Just finished this first season, solid B+ show but the finale might've knocked it up to an A-. I can't be the only one that roots for Axe most of the time, can I? 😈

dno_1966

No you're not, Team Axe here too.

Pleased to see it getting a mention on GAF, this is my joint-favourite new show of the year, along with Stranger Things.

pswii60

Really struggled to get in to this at first and I was going to give up at Episode 4 but my wife wanted to keep watching. Well I'm glad I did, because it gets better and better and the finale was sublime, giving Lewis and Giamatti the perfect face off for their acting chops and the perfect last scene. Great show.

Also, Wendy. I'm 35, I've never ever been interested whatsoever in older women. But my word, she's incredible.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
hated this show during the first two episodes, couldn't understand a single word Axe said nor find a reason to care about any of the characters, but stuck with it and woah, it's been a damn fun romp. Lewis and Giamatti are simply incredible, can't wait to see more of them

Ashhong

Just marathoned this and I loved this show, surprised it wasn't a bigger hit here. I was hooked from the first episode. I didn't understand most of it but I could see the quality in it and the concept seemed awesome. Can't wait for more!

Also, of course Team Axe. People were rooting for Chuck?

Wags is such a great character. It's much more fun to watch the actor in this compared to Suits.

He's practically the same character

jett

D-Member
I binged this on Netflix.

This was frigging great. The hedge fund jargon was kind of confusing in the first episodes, but they quickly moved on from that. Season finale was outstanding.

Too bad it's not more popular on this forum.

cLOUDo

I start watching this show (thank again Netflix)
I'm in episode 7 AND is awesome, Paul Giamatti is fucking great.

Why he wasn't nominated for the Emmy?
Is nonsense

Nothus

Loved the first season but something about that trailer feels off to me. Would a trailer like that really grab someone new to the show? I'm not sure.

I'm also not sure how many seasons they can get out of the whole premise of the show tbh.

NYR

Looks decent (except that double breasted waist coat - ouch).

I tolerated the first season, it finished very strong but it had a lot of problems character wise, the main character was playing 5 games of 3D Chess at once and always winning, everything always worked out perfect for him which frustrated me since it made him fairly impregnable. Will tune in for season 2 to see if he burns this go around.

hey I didn't know this show had a thread, loved it.

It was weird going from this to Band of Brothers, I kept seeing Damien as Ax. Like in my head right after WW2, Winters started up a company and became Ax

NYR

hey I didn't know this show had a thread, loved it.

It was weird going from this to Band of Brothers, I kept seeing Damien as Ax. Like in my head right after WW2, Winters started up a company and became Ax
You should watch Homeland S1 if you like Damien Lewis, his best stuff since BoB is in season 1 of Homeland. The rest...not so much, but Homeland is awesome now, IMO.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
Back on!

Giamatti is a goddamn god, but the whole episode was great. They stepped it up from S1.
Lara Axelrod remains the only dumb point.

louiedog

Showtime is having a free weekend on most US TV providers to promote the new season.

Also HBO and Cinemax on some, but that's unrelated.

TheOddOne

Season premiere today:
Season 2: episode 1 "Risk Management"

Chuck faces scrutiny from within his office and from the Attorney General. Axe refortifies Axe Capital, and weighs his options for retaliation. The fund wrestles with a precarious economic landscape that threatens the very existence of Axe Cap. Wendy entertains an offer from a rival hedge fund manager. Lara intervenes in an emergency at her children's school.
- Promo for this upcoming season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom