• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite - City in the Sky trailer

mrpeabody

We know, a shooter where you play a male hero who saves the world and gets the girl isn't a new idea. But this isn't the place to complain about it.

it's because you're a fucking buzzkill in every damn thread man.

Put him on ignore. What's your problem? I read his posts because he's one of the very few posters who understand the importance of good stories in games, and I want those opinions. You're coming off as a childish baby.

Trigger

We know, a shooter where you play a male hero who saves the world and gets the girl isn't a new idea. But this isn't the place to complain about it.

Or at least it's a bit early. We still don't even know how the story will play out. What if Elizabeth is secretly the villain?

Or at least it's a bit early. We still don't even know how the story will play out. What if Elizabeth is secretly the villain?

Knowing how awesome Irrationals plot twists can be
(Would you Kindly...)
, that would not surprise me in the slightest (actually it would, because it would be a plot twist, but you get what I mean).

Put him on ignore. What's your problem? I read his posts because he's one of the very few posters who understand the importance of good stories in games, and I want those opinions. You're coming off as a childish baby.

not to get involved or pick sides, but I agree with this. I really enjoy reading derrick's post. even if it does seem like he's being overly cynical, I've found it's often with good reason.

I understand the pain and disappointment that drives him. after all, when you've seen some of your most beloved franchises turned into casualised bullshit for no reason other than to gain a few extra meagre sales, it's hard not to become an overly cynical bastard (no offence intended, derrick)

Andrew.

Banned

Says the guy with a Muppet as his avatar.

The ignore system on here isn't that good considering you can still see that the people you ignore are posting, and if someone quotes them you are still able to see what they posted. It doesn't make sense.

Then put me on ignore already and quit your bitching. God forbid someone ruin your vibes maaaan.
I've noticed it too. Opinions are fine, but you toss yours around like they're the only ones that can be right. Shitting on linear games and ones that don't cater to your preferred style and acting like they shouldn't exist/devs shouldn't bother.

Says the guy with a Muppet as his avatar.

The ignore system on here isn't that good considering you can still see that the people you ignore are posting, and if someone quotes them you are still able to see what they posted. It doesn't make sense.

I get where you're coming from with the extremist cynicism Andrew, but trying to tell someone how they should behave is pretty condescending. Derrick isn't a child, he's an adult who's entitled to his opinion.

I'll admit I have raised my eyebrows at some of the things he has said, but I've been courteous enough not to say anything because it's his right to say it.

Andrew.

Banned
I get where you're coming from with the extremist cynicism Andrew, but trying to tell someone how they should behave is pretty condescending. Derrick isn't a child, he's an adult who's entitled to his opinion.

I'll admit I have raised my eyebrows at some of the things he has said, but I've been courteous enough not to say anything because it's his right to say it.

I'm just saying that it's gotten to a point where the overt and sometimes extremely unnecessary criticism has become so unbelievable and consistent that it's kind of unfair to the rest of us who are having a reasonable discussion. I have cynical as fuck friends, but even they have something good to say about something sometimes.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Is this running on a new engine cuz playing Bioshock 2.....

Necrovex

I'm just saying that it's gotten to a point where the overt and sometimes extremely unnecessary criticism has become so unbelievable and consistent that it's kind of unfair to the rest of us who are having a reasonable discussion. I have cynical as fuck friends, but even they have something good to say about something sometimes.

You can simply ignore him. I don't agree with a lot of what Derrick says about the modern state of video games, but he brings a different viewpoint to a thread, which is something I can certainly appreciate.

Edit: He also enjoyed Persona 4, so he is ok in my books.

Trigger

lol, it's not that bad.

Necron

Amazing. Ken Levine and his team have created a masterpiece by the looks of it.
So excited to play it soon.

I think Derrick is the absolute extreme example of the current state of the games industry. Even with the greatness of the original Bioshock and Irrationals shining reputation there to allow us the comfort of optimism, gamers are very jaded with the quality of games that are coming out in recent years. Mediocrity and disappointment are commonplace now. Just look at the response to ACIII.

As such, you have cautious optimism at best and as in Derricks case, flat out apathetic cynicism at worst. The industry needs a bit of confidence and trustworthiness in it again but as long as you have massive cunts like EA, Activision and Ubisoft there to ruin everyones fun, that isn't going to happen anytime soon.

FINALBOSS

Banned
Hot damn was that trailer amazing.

And for you guys complaining that it was a little action heavy--it was a trailer. How boring would the trailer have been if it was slow and menacing like the Bioshock games actually are?

Muffdraul

Lol, even though I disagree with about 99% of what Derrick says, I can't help but find his constant cynicism refreshing from time to time.

Ugh. I'll bet you like Tim Rogers too.

I for one never lost any faith in Infinite. This trailer is mere icing on the cake for me.

Hot damn was that trailer amazing.

And for you guys complaining that it was a little action heavy--it was a trailer. How boring would the trailer have been if it was slow and menacing like the Bioshock games actually are?

images

SteeloDMZ

Banned
I was kinda meh on Infinite, which is surprising considering Bioshock is one of the very best games of all time, but this trailer did a great job in getting me hyped.

"Very small"??? Come on dude. Other than a great atmosphere and intriguing characters (which I'm sure this game will have), action and using weapons+plasmids is the other 50% of the game. Let's not kid ourselves.

I stand by very small.

Bioshock for me was like mass effect 1. The combat was there but thats about it.

Okay, I would encourage you to go back and have a 6th playthrough, using nothing but the Revolver. You're permitted to upgrade it.

Then come back and tell us if you stand by "very small". Good luck with those Big Daddies.

You are missing my point. I enjoyed the combat this much. I enjoyed the atmosphere the world and its lore thiiiiiissss much. I couldnt wait to clear sections of the worlds enemies so i could enjoy the world unhindered.

You are missing my point. I enjoyed the combat this much. I enjoyed the atmosphere the world and its lore thiiiiiissss much. I couldnt wait to clear sections of the worlds enemies so i could enjoy the world unhindered.

I see, you just worded your position poorly, sort of. Objectively, the Bioshock games are action oriented.

JollyWolf

I think Derrick is the absolute extreme example of the current state of the games industry. Even with the greatness of the original Bioshock and Irrationals shining reputation there to allow us the comfort of optimism, gamers are very jaded with the quality of games that are coming out in recent years. Mediocrity and disappointment are commonplace now. Just look at the response to ACIII.

As such, you have cautious optimism at best and as in Derricks case, flat out apathetic cynicism at worst. The industry needs a bit of confidence and trustworthiness in it again but as long as you have massive cunts like EA, Activision and Ubisoft there to ruin everyones fun, that isn't going to happen anytime soon.

Gamers have always been jaded, this is not something that started with this generation. It's not any different then it has been in the past.

I do have to wonder why people like Derrick01 even bother with gaming anymore if they hate it so much.

Gamers have always been jaded, this is not something that started with this generation. It's not any different then it has been in the past.

I personally reckon it's exceptionally worse now then it used to be. People are even calling Half Life 3 vaporware. Aren't we used to ridiculous development times and media blackouts from Valve by this point?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
That was a decent trailer. It's interesting, I feel like I've seen so little of the game. They've done a good job revealing enough to get me excited without spoiling stuff.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Couldn't resist... just watched it...

fuck.

That was a decent trailer. It's interesting, I feel like I've seen so little of the game. They've done a good job revealing enough to get me excited without spoiling stuff.

The plot is everything when it comes to Bioshock and Irrational know that. They were pushing the boundaries when they revealed the first 5 minutes of the game which I have NOT watched and won't be.

Top Bottom