• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite - City in the Sky trailer

Looks cool. And Bioshock gives them a lot of credit im my book.

But the troubles, the awefull cover and the changes will make me read a lot of reviews online and HERE before i actually buy it.

theDeeDubs

Yeah, the silent protagonist worked well in Bioshock.

Or even the older voice from the very first gameplay Irrational showed like two years ago (I believe it was the voice actor that did the main character in the Thief games). I though he sounded kinda cool and made Booker seem like a grizzled old guy which was neat. I actually preferred him to what I've heard of Troy Baker I think...

Not to disrespect Troy Baker. Dude does good work and I'm sure he'll be fine here.

I thought I recognized Garrett from Thief in the first trailer and was really hoping he'd be in the game as I do not like silent protagonists myself. Troy is great though and probably my next favorite VA.

JimiNutz

Banned
Holy shit.
This went from 'will prob buy a few months after release' to 'DAY FUCKING ONE - ALL OVER MY TITS AND ASS!'

taku

Look, peeps, I'm not trying to shit on this game, all right?

I'm not following your logic. How do you have a protagonist that doesn't do extraordinary things and then subsequently be labelled a hero? That is exceptionally strident standards for you to have for a narrative.
Uh, What? No, I'm saying that there doesn't have to be a "protagonist" or a "hero". That there are other ways of telling a story..

Depends on your definition of a hero. Booker is essentially invading a city, kidnapping a girl and bringing her back to some people who has their own agenda. He is only doing it for himself, and has no intentions of saving any kind of world.

And we don't know if he kills a army of enemies, as the player will be fighting alongside factions, therefore making him just one in the crowd.
So you are saying that this game is not supposed to depict a "hero" and that the protagonist won't be fighting a boatload of enemies by himself?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Lol they had to do a little note about how they determined their highest ranking (all platforms averaged) because Half-Life 2 has a 96 as well and from twice as many reviews.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
The most exciting thing for me personally will be the story. I can't wait to find out what the hell is going on. Why does Elizabeth has these special abilities, What's going on in Columbia, Why are they all praying and to who? What or who is the Songbird and why is it hunting Elizabeth. What's so special about this woman? Damn i can't wait.

I get a LOST vibe from this game.

Andrew.

Banned
that documentary teaser this week gave me a supreme mindfuck in the best way possible.

I'm gettin serious vibes from this game and they certainly arent LOST vibes. Those vibes were felt for the original Bio with the plane crash into the ocean and whatnot.

So you are saying that this game is not supposed to depict a "hero" and that the protagonist won't be fighting a boatload of enemies by himself?

I'm saying that the player character is in Columbia to essentially kidnap a girl and bring her back to some other people. The player character is not what I would define as a hero, he is not doing it for the better of the world, because it is right or the likes. He is doing it to take care of his financial problems.

We don't even know what the people of Columbia nor the people who hired Booker wants to do with Elisabeth.

In regards to the player killing a million dudes: No clue, haven't played the game. I'm just saying that if the game has a large amount of you working with other factions, you won't be the only one doing the killing. And killing a ton of dudes is a consequence of how games like this is made, and mostly all games in the industry whether it is a FPS, RPG or RTS.

Lol they had to do a little note about how they determined their highest ranking (all platforms averaged) because Half-Life 2 has a 96 as well and from twice as many reviews.

It's pretty normal to provide sources for those statements, and it's needed otherwise people would be going "they're wrong!"

Derrick01

Banned
Looks good but after all the trouble they had and how bad it's looked before I'm going to need to see a hell of a lot more before I even think about buying it.

noffles

Banned
Looks good but after all the trouble they had and how bad it's looked before I'm going to need to see a hell of a lot more before I even think about buying it.

Your scepticism is remarkable considering the game has already been delayed twice for the sake of quality.

Turk

The most exciting thing for me personally will be the story. I can't wait to find out what the hell is going on. Why does Elizabeth has these special abilities, What's going on in Columbia, Why are they all praying and to who? What or who is the Songbird and why is it hunting Elizabeth. What's so special about this woman? Damn i can't wait.

I get a LOST vibe from this game.

So it looks like you will jump around a time line and the game is called "infinite". Maybe it's a cyclical universe you (booker) are a key part of.

Derrick01

Banned
Your scepticism is remarkable considering the game has already been delayed twice for the sake of quality.

That's hardly been the rumors but sure we'll go with "quality". Even though it was more like "we had no idea how to make this game for a while".

Also my skepticism comes from how stunningly sub par Bioshock 1 was compared to the System Shocks.

Stet

Banned
I'm torn, because I'm not sure if I liked Bioshock 1 and 2 because of the gameplay or the claustrophobic atmosphere, which this doesn't seem to have.

Looks fucking incredible. When I start watching it I'm thinking "development hell" for the first 5 seconds - then I start to forget about that. Then I think, I have enough FPS games to keep me going forever. Then I hear that fucking amazingly creepy songbird - and I'm sold.

Day ONE!

good catch, she's definitely changed and for the better. no doubt about it, best design so far. hope they stick with it.

She looks kinda like Belle from Beauty and the Beast in the first shot.

Maaaaaan. I am so fucking hyped but come OOON! March is full of games i want to play :/

derFeef

That's hardly been the rumors but sure we'll go with "quality". Even though it was more like "we had no idea how to make this game for a while".

Also my skepticism comes from how stunningly sub par Bioshock 1 was compared to the System Shocks.

We really need a time machine for you, it must be a pain to live in today's game world.

noffles

Banned

Then I'm afraid there's a conflict of opinion here that could result in argument. I think its in our best interests to just leave it here for now, old chap.

Derrick01

Banned
We really need a time machine for you, it must be a pain to live in today's game world.

Well I am intrigued by the 1999 mode in this game but I seriously doubt it'll make the game better. As we talked about in that hardcore mode thread last night it rarely works when you're trying to tack on a deep game to something meant to be accessible for casuals. It has to be the other way around.

On the one hand the world they designed just oozes atmosphere just like Rapture, but on the other hand the gunplay looks very similar to Bioshock's. And something always felt off about that, in my opinion.

Lol, even though I disagree with about 99% of what Derrick says, I can't help but find his constant cynicism refreshing from time to time.

Hey Derrick,

I always wondered which games are in your opinion flawless or mostly perfect.

I seem to always see you criticising games so this really interests me.

Deus Ex HR of course, but what else?

Sorry for going off topic, but i really want to know :D

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Hey Derrick,

I always wondered which games are in your opinion flawless or mostly perfect.

I seem to always see you criticising games so this really interests me.

Deus Ex HR of course, but what else?

Sorry for going off topic, but i really want to know :D

His appreciation for DE:HR comes from it being better than it ought to have been given the current "AAA" climate. That is to say, it's not a game he holds in particularly high regard.

Toa TAK

Banned
The new trailer is great. I can't wait two months, I need this now!

This trailer is more actin focused, but I know the game won't be this hectic.

Hawt!!!!!!!

"One Nation Over God" though?

Breaking News story on FOX News incoming: "A new videogame trailer replaces the iconic phrase "One Nation Under God" with "One Nation Over God" and some think it's another sign of the declining culture in America."

"Well, Megyn, it's clear these videogame makers or whatever you call them are atheists and it's just another way to mock Christians by using their influence over millions of children."

His appreciation for DE:HR comes from it being better than it ought to have been given the current "AAA" climate. That is to say, it's not a game he holds in particularly high regard.

Funny. I thought because of his avatar, that DE:HR would be his most precious game.

Hawt!!!!!!!

"One Nation Over God" though?

Breaking News story on FOX News incoming: "A new videogame trailer replaces the iconic phrase "One Nation Under God" with "One Nation Over God" and some think it's another sign of the declining culture in America."

"Well, Megyn, it's clear these videogame makers or whatever you call them are atheists and it's just another way to mock Christians by using their influence over millions of children."

This would not be a bad thing at all. Let Fox News humiliate themselves further by attacking free speech that calls Religion to account.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
So, uh, is anyone else bored with playing the same game over and over again?

Rough but cool looking man/guy/dude.
Save the girl/save the world.
The End.

Official_cover_art_for_Bioshock_Infinite.jpg

I hate playing games now, they all have beginnings, middles, and ends. It's the same thing over and over and over.

Lol, even though I disagree with about 99% of what Derrick says, I can't help but find his constant cynicism refreshing from time to time.

On GAF? You think you'd get enough of that as it is.

I'm a man of disconcerting taste myself(nowhere near the same extent, I think!), so I understand the frustration.

Top Bottom