• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BioShock Infinite does not have multiplayer of any kind

Striek

I'd never play MP in a Bioshock game but I still don't consider it to be something worth gloating about. Not having multi means they either couldn't get it working in time or didn't have the resources to dedicate. I don't think any developer has ever made the decision 'we could do multiplayer but it would take away from SP'. In the end the product is just less fully featured than it could've been (regardless of whether I would even use those cut feature(s)).

ultron87

Expecting a team to focus on both SP and MP is alot to ask.

I assume that's why we see so few (if any arguably) do it succesfully.
There are plenty of examples of it happening successfully. There is no reason to expect that a talented developer like Irrational would have made the terrible bolt on multiplayer mode that everyone here seems to assume they would have made. Especially with a project like Bioshock Infinite where they are clearly not being rushed by a publisher mandated schedule.

Had they decided to include a multiplayer mode I'm sure it would've been interesting or at least somewhat unique. So it seems really weird to me to praise the removal of a feature from a game being made by such a well regarded team.

Monocle

Good news. A primarily single player game seems likely to benefit when the developer doesn't have to split its attention and divide its resources in order to tack on a superfluous multiplayer mode.

Peru

I'd never play MP in a Bioshock game but I still don't consider it to be something worth gloating about. Not having multi means they either couldn't get it working in time or didn't have the resources to dedicate. I don't think any developer has ever made the decision 'we could do multiplayer but it would take away from SP'. In the end the product is just less fully featured than it could've been (regardless of whether I would even use those cut feature(s)).

Well that's a blatant untruth.

Shtof

dancing.gif

Yes, yes, yes, fuck yes. Ken Levine is the saviour of Single Player.

A new setting, no silent protagonist, and a complete lack of any multiplayer component... it's like they want me to buy this game as soon as possible!

Corto

I'm ok with this. But this worries me as considering all the news that are transpiring from this game troubled development I don't think this was a creative decision.

patapuf

I'm not upset by this news but i will never understand the people who think not having MP is somehow indicative of quality. Or why it's worth cheering for.

Wow, and they were actually given permission to skip MP?

I'm surprised. Thought all that focus group testing bullshit would make them force in a MP

My guess is that getting the MP to work would've meant another delay of 3 months or something like that and Take-Two is probably more eager to get the game out the door at this point.

Haunted

Good news all around!

If someone from Irrational or 2K games is on GAF - show this thread to your marketing department, or your execs or whomever is unhappy with the decision and is pushing for those bullet points right now.

Look at the positive reception of this piece of news among the core demographic.

I do wonder if they will revisit the cut MP mode following launch of the game, if it becomes a sales succes. They could do a MP patch, and then go on to sell a "Now with MP" disc based version and suddenly shelflife has been extended.

stn

A victory for gaming. Now let's hope they don't fuck the game and story up like they did with Bioshock.
Really? I thought Bioshock 1 was excellent! I could understand if you were saying this about 2, but even that game was pretty solid.

BioShock 2's multi-player wasn't that bad actually, but I'm still glad to not have it in a game for a change.

The Level 50 achievement though, THAT was bad.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Yeah, I don't really understand why everyone is celebrating. If they had said this when the game was announced, maybe start cheering. But if the development was so troubled (which has been rumored) that they couldn't get the MP up and running, and people had to be yanked to get the single player working...yeah, we'll just have to hope for the best.

Rumors aside, the thing that worries me most is how little we've seen about this game. Or even heard about people playing it. It was announced a little over two years ago, yet we only have a handful of trailers and articles. Seems odd for such a big name game that is supposedly coming out in less than 3 months. And then you compound that will talk about features being removed, it's not exactly a winning combination by any means.

Nibel

No need for MP, but I'd like some online features - suprise me!

There are certainly more ways ti implement onlince functions without MP

Why are people happy about this?

Because this game has been in production hell for some time now, and reports of the MP mode being a serious hassle for the team means that they made a smart decision killing it, and putting all the current ressources into making the sngleplayer experience (which also has been reported as been troubled)

It's 2012! How can this fucking joke of a game be AAA if it doesn't have multiplayer? It's unacceptable. Are the developers that incompetent that they can't design a decent mutliplayer mode in 2012? Seriously, Irrational needs to hire more developers if they are struggling with this.

Duffyside

Banned
People's reaction to games having multiplayer is so incredibly odd... and dumb. They usually are upset because of their fairly baseless presumption that the developers could've spent all that time used to make the multiplayer mode on the single player instead.

In Infinite's case, it seems like they spent a lot of time trying to incorporate a multiplayer, but it just didn't work out. So, potentially all that same supposed time that could've been used to further improve the main game was still wasted, they just have nothing to show for it. And people are happy? Why? Because you're just bad at multiplayer games and won't have to spend that hour to get the three achievements?

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
People's reaction to games having multiplayer is so incredibly odd... and dumb. They usually are upset because of their fairly baseless presumption that the developers could've spent all that time used to make the multiplayer mode on the single player instead.

In Infinite's case, it seems like they spent a lot of time trying to incorporate a multiplayer, but it just didn't work out. So, potentially all that same supposed time that could've been used to further improve the main game was still wasted, they just have nothing to show for it. And people are happy? Why? Because you're just bad at multiplayer games and won't have to spend that hour to get the three achievements?

You're right that they probably did spend a fair amount of time working on multiplayer before canning it in this case. Your presumption that multiplayer never takes away from single player seems like the one that's baseless, given the finite nature of development resources.

Top Bottom