• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BioShock Infinite does not have multiplayer of any kind

HighFive.gif

Banned
Great. Bioshock 2 could have been so much more if development time wasn't spent on multiplayer that nobody played.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Great. Bioshock 2 could have been so much more if development time wasn't spent on multiplayer that nobody played.

I'm not so sure. Most of the issues I had with Bioshock 2 didn't really stem from a lack of polish or refinement, but rather because of fundamental design decisions... and the multiplayer was developed by a separate team, so it's not like it would have been easy to carve out the resources used and give that to 2K Marin... Either in terms of giving them a longer development time or having them expand staffing allocations to add more people to... do what?

RedSwirl

So outside of achievements is it pretty much a completely offline experience?

Man, when was the last time I got that from a full retail game? Dishonored I guess.

Idesofmarch

Neo Member
A shame. It could have had a true following and ushered in a new era. Call of Duty, gears, bf, and Halo it shall be.

While I am glad Irrational had the restraint to cancel a multiplayer mode that was not working, I kind of agree with this sentiment. If we want new and innovative multiplayer modes and not just have the same old COD, I think it is important not to just dismiss every single player focused game's attempt at multiplayer. Things like assassin's creed and mass effect's multiplayer modes, while not the first to do things that they did, I think did bring new and refined gameplay to the mainstream that isn't just FPS deathmatch.

I'd argue as far as shooters go none of them need it outside of the big few like COD/BF/Halo. After that you pretty much get into redundancy territory where all you're doing is playing the same fucking modes and dumb leveling systems but with different skins and likely worse shooting mechanics.
Exactly. It's even more of a waste, because no one cares. The MP of most games outside the big ones is dead after 1-3 months. Money wasted, no one cared. SP only games still sell well enough, if they are legitimately good.

Blizzard

Banned
I'm thinking this could be a good thing, not because I don't want people to have the options, but more because I don't want it being a forced part of the game, or major development resources diverted for it. I think Mirror's Edge had experimental multiplayer which was scrapped, for example.

blamite

Fine by me. I actually really liked Bioshock 2's multi but I wouldn't have mised it if it wasn't there. Was there ever an expectation that Infinite would have multiplayer? I don't recall that at all.

Kilrathi

Does anyone remembers Unreal Tournament with Jets packs called Tribes Vengeance, I'm trying to forget that exists.

I would like Irrational Games to take another shot a good mutliplayer, had fun playing Freedom Force on a LAN back in 2002.

Tobor

My concern now is when it was cancelled, and how much time and effort was wasted before the decision was made.

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
I actually quite enjoyed Bioshock 2's multiplayer but I will certainly never bemoan new single player-only experiences, even if some silly reviewers might.

LuuKyK

I can already see it getting low scored because of the "lack of replayability".

Not that it matters to me. Actually I see the lack of multiplayer in a SP focused game as a good thing. But still...

Gav47

My concern now is when it was cancelled, and how much time and effort was wasted before the decision was made.

Yeah same here, there were rumours around the time Nate Wells and other people were leaving that the multiplayer had gone through several concepts and iterations.

Pachinko

This news raises my interest levels in the game by at least 10% :p , seriously I was going to buy it regardless , it was more a question of whether I want 1080p at my computer or comfy couch xbox gaming. It is good to hear that no time or money is being spent on a mode I wouldn't have played anyway though.

Steam needs to make an apple tv style device for streaming games to your tv from your home pc through a wired internet connection

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Excellent. Thissss is how we dooo ittt nah na na na na na na na na thissss is how we dooo it

ultron87

Lame. I bet they could've done something pretty cool with multiplayer set in that world. Chasing people around on those rails would be fun. Shame they couldn't find some way to make it work.

-BLITZ-

lolnicegifmjju4.gif

For Ken Levine & his Irrational Team for choosing this path. I think I feel much better now that I will not see MP stuff on my menu and just focus on the SP.

Safe Bet

Banned
Only sports and pure shooters should have multiplayer modes
You lack vision.

Lame. I bet they could've done something pretty cool with multiplayer set in that world. Chasing people around on those rails would be fun. Shame they couldn't find some way to make it work.
Expecting a team to focus on both SP and MP is alot to ask.

I assume that's why we see so few (if any arguably) do it succesfully.

Durante

So I have to ask: Are you willing to spend $60 on a 6-10 hour game with limited replay-ability?
I'm not willing to spend $60 on any game. (And I don't have to, I mostly game on PC)

Multiplayer in a game such as this does nothing to change my value perception. (Co-op would though). Of course, this refers to unimaginative "traditional" multiplayer "modes". Something innovative like Dark Souls' online interaction does add significant value.

Top Bottom