• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite |OT| No Gods, Kings, or Irrational Games

Tomodachi

Too afraid to browse through the thread so bear with me, can you answer those probably already asked and reasked questions?

1. I only played Bioshock 1 (ages ago, don't remember much about "side" characters) and a few hours from Bioshock 2, should I go through them before playing Infinite?
2. I have it for PC but I'd like to play from the couch, are gamepad controls fine or is kb/m infinitely (see what I did there?) better?
3. Suggested difficulty, if there is even such a thing? I'm not much of an FPS player.

Too afraid to browse through the thread so bear with me, can you answer those probably already asked and reasked questions?

1. I only played Bioshock 1 (ages ago, don't remember much about "side" characters) and a few hours from Bioshock 2, should I go through them before playing Infinite?
2. I have it for PC but I'd like to play from the couch, are gamepad controls fine or is kb/m infinitely (see what I did there?) better?
3. Suggested difficulty, if there is even such a thing? I'm not much of an FPS player.

You do not need to replay BS1 or play BS2 in preparation for Infinite, If I say anything more here it may ruin what you get out of the game. ; )

2. Not sure, sorry.

3. Hard, it seemed perfectly balanced to me, even 1999 mode is pretty easy IMO.

Azzurri

So I took advantage of the steam deal Saturday on BSI for $13 and I have not been this engrossed in a story for a long time. I'm almost finished, about an hour or so left and I can't get enough. It's been a long time since I sat down for more than an hour and kept playing like I have with this game.

I'm not a fan of FPS's, but I loved BS1, but skipped 2, but after hearing how good Infinite was going to be and following it a bit before it was released. I'm glad to say I picked it up, best game I've played for a long time.

bengraven

So finally got it for $10.88 and I'm loving it so far. That said, I've already spoiled the big twist and ending for myself just because I never thought I'd want to play it.

Also, it looks really really good and is the first game I've played recently that brought my card to it's knees. I need a new card. But even on low settings and 1280*720 (I can't even run at my native res, first game to force me to downgrade), it's fucking beautiful.

BA12B0676D04248A96DE79D0D774B8AECF7C75AD

Just got Blue Ribbon Champ achievement! The one that killed me for some reason was the last ribbon in the Raven's Dome. Everytime I tried getting the ribbon, one of the firemen would kill the other one, the handyman would randomly die for no reason or one time I shot one of the fireman off the tracks and he died on the impact, not my bullet. A little easier to do than I thought it was gonna be, but took a solid week of play.

Levyne

Banned
Played through this over the weekend...

that ending @_@

I was completely unspoiled. Still haven't put all the specifics in line but I read some things and have the general flow down.

I've also never played Bioshock 1 or 2 but now I am interested.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Did you guys know that Bioshock: Infinite has the greatest graphics of all time?

Played through this over the weekend...

that ending @_@

I was completely unspoiled. Still haven't put all the specifics in line but I read some things and have the general flow down.

I've also never played Bioshock 1 or 2 but now I am interested.

Awesome that you went in spoiled.

And absolutely, try BS1/2 and Minerva's Den dlc for BS2.

There are things in both those games, that are better then Infinite, and some things worse.

Also you must meet Sander Cohen.

Seanspeed

Banned
I can't get over how friggin' beautiful this game is (playing on PC). Damn, Columbia is a sight to behold.
I know this comment was from two and a half months ago, but yes, I'm right there with you man. Its one of the best looking games of all-time at the moment, in my eyes. I probably spent a good 20% of my playthrough time just taking screenshots.

It was just non-stop breathtaking and while I'm not usually a graphics whore or anything, it was easily enough to make up for any shortcomings in the gameplay. I also came to really have an attachment to Elizabeth, which never happens with me in games. I was always disheartened any time she wasn't with me.

I know this comment was from two and a half months ago, but yes, I'm right there with you man. Its one of the best looking games of all-time at the moment, in my eyes. I probably spent a good 20% of my playthrough time just taking screenshots.

It was just non-stop breathtaking and while I'm not usually a graphics whore or anything, it was easily enough to make up for any shortcomings in the gameplay. I also came to really have an attachment to Elizabeth, which never happens with me in games. I was always disheartened any time she wasn't with me.

Such a good picture. She's lovely.

Flandy

Picked up the PS3 version of Bioshock Infinite during black Friday. It comes with the oringal Bioshock and I got Bioshock 2 through PS+ last year. Should I play the first two? I know it's not required but will I enjoy Infinite more if I do play through them? Or should I just play them because they're good games? lol

Tomodachi

Picked up the PS3 version of Bioshock Infinite during black Friday. It comes with the oringal Bioshock and I got Bioshock 2 through PS+ last year. Should I play the first two? I know it's not required but will I enjoy Infinite more if I do play through them? Or should I just play them because they're good games? lol
It's not required but please play at least the first one. And, well, not only because it's an amazing ride.

blanco21

Not to be too lame here, but about what percentage into the game am I if I'm about to
board the ferry to Monument Island?
This game makes me motion sick (almost all FPS do...Bioshock 1 didn't, but idk why) and I can only play a checkpoint at a time without feeling sick. I played 3 checkpoints in a row just now because I'm stuck inside with the flu and now I feel like I could drop dead. Plus, I'm borrowing this game from a friend so I don't wanta keep his copy forever (he let me open it even).

Such a good game though, god damn. This blows Bioshock 1 away for me so far and I loveddddddddd that game.

Tomodachi

Not to be too lame here, but about what percentage into the game am I if I'm about to
board the ferry to Monument Island?
This game makes me motion sick (almost all FPS do...Bioshock 1 didn't, but idk why) and I can only play a checkpoint at a time without feeling sick. I played 3 checkpoints in a row just now because I'm stuck inside with the flu and now I feel like I could drop dead. Plus, I'm borrowing this game from a friend so I don't wanta keep his copy forever (he let me open it even).

Such a good game though, god damn. This blows Bioshock 1 away for me so far and I loveddddddddd that game.

I usually suffer from motion sickness a lot with FPSs but for some reason I didn't with Infinite (even though I couldn't play it for more than an hour straight). I'd say you're about 1/4 into the game?

Motion sickness can be a bitch, especially now that a lot of great games are in a first person view. I usually feel the more you play and get used to a particular game, the less you feel sick and the longer you can play without feeling ill. Just be sure to take a long break as soon as you start feeling you want to puke ;)

Sorry to bump.
I just got a retail PC version of Bioshock Infinite from a friend.
The CDkey has never been used (its sealed) he ended up getting it on Steam.

Is there a way to redeem the key and use the game on Steam?
Or am I imagining that? How would I access the DLC without Steam?

Finished this yesterday, was a great game. Not perfect, some flaws in the combat (that last part, jesus!) but overall one of the best games of the year for me.

Art direction, soundtrack and voice acting were incredible. The vigors were great, although the weapons were a bit lackluster. Good ideas behind the narrative too, although given that I played this in bursts, spread out over several months, it might take me a while (and some online reading) to piece it all together.

Finished this yesterday, was a great game. Not perfect, some flaws in the combat (that last part, jesus!) but overall one of the best games of the year for me.

Art direction, soundtrack and voice acting were incredible. The vigors were great, although the weapons were a bit lackluster. Good ideas behind the narrative too, although given that I played this in bursts, spread out over several months, it might take me a while (and some online reading) to piece it all together.

The spoiler thread covers everything.

I'm replaying it right now and I agree 1000%. It's even better the second time around.

It's like a favorite movie to me. I can pop it in and play through it at any given time and still enjoy it.

I was also a big fan of Jim's explanation of the ultra-violence and how its contrast to the idyllic setting was the POINT of it.

Sen²

I just got really excited because of the 1.8GB update... Then I checked out the Steam forum and learned that it just adds support for the Chinese language :(.

GC|Simon

I finished Bioshock Infinite two days ago after buying it on January 1st and approximately 12 hours of play time. And wow, this game is a massive letdown. I absolutely cannot understand all the tens the game received by critics. I cannot understand it at all.

Things Bioshock Infinite is good at:
- The setting of game is is fantastic and fresh. A city above the clouds? That's amazing! The first hour or so was astonishing: Walking through the streets of the city, watching lots of other people doing their stuff (kids play with water, etc.), seeing the buildings moving and connecting in the sky.
- The graphics are beautiful (played it on PC with ultra settings). There are quite a lot low resolution textures but the art style is just plain beautiful.
- The English synchronisation is pretty good.

Unfortunately, Bioshock Infinite is - in my opinion - not good at lots of other things, including the core gameplay:
- My biggest point of criticism: the gameplay. The game's structure is super linear but that's not the problem. The different areas are usually bigger than in other games of the same genre. The size of all those areas harms the fun due to two reasons: You have to fight lots of enemies in each and every area and those opponents often come at you from all directions which makes the fights a bit chaotic. In order to get stronger and enjoy the stroy you have to carefully examine the areas. The things you will find are quite useful to open some locked rooms, get some story background, find money for upgrades, etc. However, you will always find the exact same things in the exact same boxes. Those two things feel extremely repetitive after a few hours into the game.
- Discovering and using the different abilities is great. The sky tracks are great. Unfortunately both are mostly used in fights and almost not at all for puzzels, etc. And the use of those things in fights is also quite repetitive.
- The story has a surprising and interesting ending. But it is also very confusing and not really exciting during like 80% of the actual game.

Overall, I think Bioshock Infinite is just not a good game. The game's potential is huge but it is not used at all. All the ideas are trapped in the game's mechanics.

My wish for the next Bioshock game: They should turn it into an action adventure or so where you have to use the abilties, etc. also outside of combats for some puzzles, etc.

Eusis

Surprised this wasn't bumped up for the PS+ release!

Giving it another go just to see how it is with move, but I feel that maybe it demands more than the buttons can handle, especially with binding melee to swinging the Move (ALTHOUGH if the Navigation controller had motion sensing they could've just bound it to that/DS3!) And definitely sticking with normal after being too exasperated with Hard.

theytookourjobz

Does the DLC require a main game save? I played on PC originally and sold my rig. Was going to pick up the game on PS3 through plus and just buy the DLC.

Seanspeed

Banned
Burial At Sea Ep.1

Was about 4 hours long. Would probably be slightly less for people who don't stop and look at everything like I do.

Its a stand-alone DLC, so you start out with nothing but due to the short nature of the DLC, you'll gain new guns and plasmids quite rapidly which makes the progression feel condensed and packed in, rather than organic. There are two new guns I think, and one new plasmid. All were reasonably fun to use, but it suffers from the same 'everything is as good as anything else' syndrome where its more a matter of preference than need.

The enemy encounters are mostly all standard fare. Even the boss isn't particularly noteworthy from a gameplay standpoint. I never minded Infinite's gunplay though, which wasn't super special, but it had a nice heft and sound to everything that I enjoyed and the vigors/plasmids are entertaining, so all this didn't bother me too much.

Most of all, I enjoyed coming back for more of these gorgeous visuals. I was a little worried that the indoor and green-ish setting of Rapture would somewhat pale in comparison to Infinite's glaringly beautiful outdoor environments, but I was wrong and they seriously nailed it. Rapture is jaw-dropping and the locations are great fun to just walk around and take it all in.

I think if you liked Infinite, this is definitely worth playing, but its not super special, so don't go in with super high expectations or anything. I'm looking forward to Ep.2.

Here's a screen of this beautiful girl again:

120v

loved Burial at Sea but i kind of felt ripped off with its length. i guess that's what i get for passing up on the season pass (no idea why i did that)

if i weren't a hardcore BI fan i'd be pretty livid about it

Top Bottom