• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BioShock Infinite PC Performance Thread

Scrabble

With a gtx 570, i5 2500k, and 8 gigs of ram i'm getting 60 fps/1080p with everything at max except I have shadows at high, is that normal? I tried just all ultra and for the most part it's fine but if I just look at a certain thing or enter a specific room it tanks my framerate. The only way I could get it to be consistently 60 frames was to lower shadows down to high. Should I stick with that or would you guys recommend I bump shadows up to very high and knock ambient occlusion down one? I've never really had a keen eye for what ambient occlusion even does except be a performance hog so maybe I wouldn't miss out on just lowering that?

I really wish it would stop crashing. The introduction to Columbia loses its luster after the 10th trip through.

The new Nvidia drivers helped a LOT. 60fps with everything maxed but dynamic shadows (high) on GTX 680 at 1440p res.

MechaZain

Banned
Is there a reason why I'm locked at either Low or Very Low textures? Using a Radeon HD 6490M and it runs perfectly fine on Medium, but when I got to custom I can't choose a texture quality higher than Low (everything else is fully customizable).

Anyway to change this?

I really wish it would stop crashing. The introduction to Columbia loses its luster after the 10th trip through.

The new Nvidia drivers helped a LOT. 60fps with everything maxed but dynamic shadows (high) on GTX 680 at 1440p res.
Looks like I'm not the only one then. Just started this up but DX11 a few moments after I saw Columbia. Updating drivers now. Did that fix the problem?

antitrop

Has anyone fucked with the

bUseTextureStreaming=True
bUseBackgroundLevelStreaming=True

settings to try and fix stuttering?

FINALBOSS

Banned
Chiming in here.

Alienware X51. I7 3770k. Gtx 660. 16gb of ram. 1080p

Game runs super smooth 60+ locked with everything on ultra aside from shadows and AO which are on high respectively. With fps unlocked fps shoots up crazy high but it tears like crazy--like vertical tears.

Did a ton of messing with the settings and I found that AO is the biggest performance killer as well as dynamic shadows. Turning them from ultra to even normal produced no visible effect to me--although I do not have a crazy eye for that stuff.

Edit: Not using the latest beta drivers. Using the set before those. Don't know the exact number since I'm at work.

Hylian7

I unlocked early on Steam yesterday with a VPN, and now when I launch the game, it either crashes or says "Completing Installation" and then says the Steam servers are too busy. I verified game cache integrity and that did nothing.

ALL I WANTED TO DO WAS PLAY AFTER CLASS!

Linch

Neo Member
Anyone tried this with a 6850?

Sounds good. I have a 6850 at the moment, and want to wait until the next generation of video cards to upgrade to something else.

I'm on a 6870 and it runs amazingly well @1080 ultra everything but shadows. If I put it on high or normal it really kicks this games ass. My guess is you could play medium to high and be fine?

I have the following specs:

XFX 1GB 6780.
2.4ghz Q6600 Intel.
4GB DDR2 1066mhz RAM
Windows 8 64 bit.
Normal SATA HDD.

No overclocks, running on my Sony Bravia 26" tv at 1360x768 resolution (I know, I know PC-GAF and the master race will hate me, but I get by.. but its as high as my TV goes without it looking odd, awful and sometimes off the screen).

Running on everything on Ultra, with V-sync (Locked framerate) no tweaks in the AMD CCC. Dunno how many frames, but its smooth, looks amazing and rarely drops.

Might tweak with the distance objects and some of the fancier DX11 effects and shadows but it runs great.

Dunno if its just my computer, or if the low res has something to do with it, but man this kit i've had for 5 years now I think, and its a beast.

Tomb Raider, Bioshock Infinite, Far Cry3, Sleeping Dogs. All run nicely on a mixture of High/Very High/Ultra.

EDIT: More info -

I think im on CCC 13.2, Cap 1. Cant check as I am at work.

Small stuttering, but maybe some setting tweaks will help with that, not enough to ruin the game, especially when it looks this good. (Definitely worth it over the console versions I would assume, can't vouch for or against them.)

Hope this helps people with their decisions.

dEvAnGeL

it seems i run on to a bug that does not let me advance on the game

the part where they give you a ball to trow at two people, that whole crowd is gone, i can only hear the music but that's about it, i cant advance, im gonna start over to see if it works

JRW

Nvidia has no love for us GTX 480 users anymore, the new Bioshock drivers dropped my Avg. framerate 2-3fps vs. previous 314.21 driver (Based on running 3 different settings with in game benchmark).

EDIT: Oops... My GPU overclock settings reset to default when upgrading drivers, So my performance actually did go up with the new 314.22 drivers!

Oh, my poor 5850 am cry :(

ezFw2E5.jpg

zPwyAZK.jpg

antitrop

5850 really isn't that bad, you should be able to find a nice group of settings that fit your needs, especially if you're willing to lock it at 30fps.

Appleman

Running on a GTX 580 1.5GB, a Q9550 @ 3.6GHz, and 4GB of DDR2 800 ram I'm getting basically a solid 60fps maxed out (except for shadows and AO) at 2560x1600

Played about two hours, jaw is on the floor.

Lolerzors

Does anyone know any config edits to turn off the auto-aim when using iron sights in this game? Its ridiculous how the gun would snap to my targets even when I'm aiming a meter away from them.

duckysempai

Neo Member
it seems i run on to a bug that does not let me advance on the game

the part where they give you a ball to trow at two people, that whole crowd is gone, i can only hear the music but that's about it, i cant advance, im gonna start over to see if it works

Is that the raffle area? I'm having the same problem. I can't seem to progress any further. I can hear the music but there's nobody there. Sometimes objects don't seem to be loading further past this area too. I started a new game but the problem persists.

Oh, my poor 5850 am cry :(

ezFw2E5.jpg

zPwyAZK.jpg

Core 2 Quad + 5850 here...Benchmarked at very high and was getting 40-50 FPS with the low frame being 18. I've been playing the game on very high @1080 and it's been smooth. Thinking about upping the textures to ultra but the game looks gorgeous on very high.

IIRC, isn't a 6850 supposed to be worse than a 5850? I remember AMD changed naming conventions for the 6 series.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Does anyone know any config edits to turn off the auto-aim when using iron sights in this game? Its ridiculous how the gun would snap to my targets even when I'm aiming a meter away from them.

There's a DefaultbAimAssist cvar in XUserOptions.ini and a bAimingHelp cvar in XGame.ini. If setting them to false helps, I'll put a note in the OP.

Zeth

Can anyone recommend some SMAA settings for SweetFX/Configurator? I'm somewhat new to SweetFX. I have Lumasharpen and SMAA on, but I don't know how I should adjust them. Single 680/3570k here, OC all around.

The SMAA doesn't seem very strong if that's the right word. Does the scroll lock command turn off the AA as well as shader adjustments? It's easy to spot the Lumasharpen, but the AA not so much.

I've got the same setup as well- 5770 and Phenom II X4

Just installed it and ran the Benchmark utility:

V2k3d1V.jpg

1920x1080 resolution, on Very High settings.

Not 60fps or anything but honestly, it looked really good with the only real noticable slowdown right at the start. Probably tinker with the settings some more, but for my 3+ year old 5770, it performed pretty well.

Now I just have to see how it fairs in the actual game.
Thank you very much!

Hmmmmm. Do I hold off until I build a new rig...

Installed new drivers now crashing a bit farther in.

Oh PC gaming why must you test me.

Maybe its EVGA Precision running in the background.

Nillansan

All this game needs from Sweetfx is;
#define USE_SMAA_ANTIALIASING 1
#define USE_LUMASHARPEN 1
#define USE_TONEMAP 1

#define sharp_strength 0.95
#define Gamma 1.04
Thats all im using and it looks amazing.

I Usually dont like too high Lumasarpen, but in this game it looks amazing.
Also, use sweetfx 1.4.

Thanks!

Do you mind telling me what in-game settings you are using when you are playing through the game (i.e. not the settings that you are using for bull shot purposes)? Do you use the in-game AA or are you downsampling or both?

That no-clip shot you took is absolutely gorgeous.

dEvAnGeL

Is that the raffle area? I'm having the same problem. I can't seem to progress any further. I can hear the music but there's nobody there. Sometimes objects don't seem to be loading further past this area too. I started a new game but the problem persists.
yes, that's the area and i did the same as well, started a new game but the same thing happened, man this shit sucks

Zeth

Which is the setting for increasing the SMAA in Sweetfx? I'm using it, but it seems quite jaggy in places at the default setting. Should I disable in-game AA?

Is there a reason why I'm locked at either Low or Very Low textures? Using a Radeon HD 6490M and it runs perfectly fine on Medium, but when I got to custom I can't choose a texture quality higher than Low (everything else is fully customizable).

Anyway to change this?

Looking at the specs of the the GPU, it only has 512MB of memory. Just a guess, but I suspect any textures with a higher resolution than low just won't fit into memory. If you turn all the other setting down will it let you select medium textures?

duckysempai

Neo Member
yes, that's the area and i did the same as well, started a new game but the same thing happened, man this shit sucks

Did you change the edit the ini files? I did. Was thinking of reverting the changes and trying again. Only disabled the background streaming and increased the streaming pool size as was suggested though.

KyleN

Banned
Thanks!

Do you mind telling me what in-game settings you are using when you are playing through the game (i.e. not the settings that you are using for bull shot purposes)? Do you use the in-game AA or are you downsampling or both?

Im downsampling from 1440p + Smaa from the SweetFx. :)

Did you change the edit the ini files? I did. Was thinking of reverting the changes and trying again. Only disabled the background streaming and increased the streaming pool size as was suggested though.

I had the exact same issue. Changed my ini file back and went through that area, all was ok.

But now the stuttering is back. Changes obviously do the trick to some extent.

EDIT: I should say, I changed the file back and started a new game before going back through that area. Loading up from my save didn't work.

Thanks!

Haha. I don't think anyone change settings for "bullshot" purposes. At least I don't.

I think downsampling is really the only competent source of AA you're going to get in this game, sadly.

Which is the setting for increasing the SMAA in Sweetfx? I'm using it, but it seems quite jaggy in places at the default setting. Should I disable in-game AA?

Contrary to popular belief, injected SMAA isn't that great. It's limited to 1x no matter what settings you use. I think the absolute max for the settings though... is this:

#define SMAA_THRESHOLD 0.05
#define SMAA_MAX_SEARCH_STEPS 98
#define SMAA_MAX_SEARCH_STEPS_DIAG 16
#define SMAA_CORNER_ROUNDING 40 // A lot of people leave this at 0 so it doesnt affect text

dEvAnGeL

changing the memory pool shouldn't have any effect on that, background streaming on the other hand is a 2 sided coin, it could either help the game or brake it, seems this option does not work very well with this game

duckysempai

Neo Member
I had the exact same issue. Changed my ini file back and went through that area, all was ok.

But now the stuttering is back. Changes obviously do the trick to some extent.

EDIT: I should say, I changed the file back and started a new game before going back through that area. Loading up from my save didn't work.

I'll try that in a minute, thanks! I verified my files with steam and it said 3 files failed. It's now downloading another 1.2GB. Will test without reverting the ini changes first.

Scythian

Loving the game, but does anyone know how to change the TAB key to open the "Gameplay Menu"? Binding the Pause menu to both the TAB key and Escape and not letting us change it is just dumb.

scitek

SMAA's good enough for some games, like Tomb Raider, that don't inherently have a ton of jaggies, but it wasn't doing the job in this game so I'm using driver-forced FXAA instead.

Zeth

Contrary to popular belief, injected SMAA isn't that great. It's limited to 1x no matter what settings you use. I think the absolute max for the settings though... is this:

#define SMAA_THRESHOLD 0.05
#define SMAA_MAX_SEARCH_STEPS 98
#define SMAA_MAX_SEARCH_STEPS_DIAG 16
#define SMAA_CORNER_ROUNDING 40 // A lot of people leave this at 0 so it doesnt affect text

Thanks, I'll try messing with it. Will in-game FXAA hurt it or can I leave it enabled too?

Nillansan

Im downsampling from 1440p + Smaa from the SweetFx. :)

Thanks Kyle, much appreciated.

Haha. I don't think anyone change settings for "bullshot" purposes. At least I don't.

I think downsampling is really the only competent source of AA you're going to get in this game, sadly.

Thank you, that is what I thought, but I've seen a number of people mix the in-game AA with downsampling. I guess you would need to downsample from a higher resolution than 1440p to make the in-game AA redundant.

Also you should check this thread ;)

XenoRaven

I've been having an issue in Bioshock 1 and it is popping up in Infinite now so I'm guessing its related to UE. Whenever I go to or look at a spot on the map that's supposed to be really dark, everything goes completely black, including the HUD. What's going on and how do I fix it?

To people with 5850/6850, if you're fine with 30 fps my advice is to just lower the shadows to normal or high at most and max out everything else. At 1080p you'll get absolutely smooth performance (assuming you don't have a bottleneck with cpu or memory).

Top Bottom