• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BioShock Infinite PC Performance Thread

antitrop

Averaging mid 30s with frequent drops to 10-20 on 720p medium settings on my GTX260. I know it's an older card, but considering Dishonored ran silky smooth, I'm a little disappointed.

You have no right to be disappointed.

If anything, it's a miracle you can actually play it. Do you know what the minimum requirements are? It's pretty much right there at the bottom and SUBSTANTIALLY below the recommended.

Got this game for free with my 7970, which seems to be laughing at it at preset ultra.
Question, how much better can I make it look while remaining 60+ and how?

mileS

Texture work is uneven for sure. But simply saying this game is a typical "console port trash" or whatever is beyond stretching. This is 1000x better than we usually get.

aasoncott

It's literally the first game that I felt has actually brought the GTX260 to its knees. Dishonored was smooth as silk, Crysis 2 would average ~50 on medium/high settings. The card is old, but until now I've had zero reason to upgrade.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I disagree. Sure the layout is surreal, but the lighting and textures have a pretty clear goal.
When I hear "ultra realistic" I think something like ARMA3. Compared to that, crysis might as well be just as surreal as bioshock. The faces are slightly cartoony, the armor, the aliens, the exaggerated lighting, the weapon's effects, etc.. Crysis is pure scifi.

antitrop

Texture work is uneven for sure. But simply saying this game is a typical "console port trash" or whatever is beyond stretching. This is 1000x better than we usually get.

Maybe a few years ago, but the last 12 months have been a revolution for PC ports. Bioshock Infinite isn't quite up to those standards.

We're even getting a little bit spoiled, but I'm okay with that after PC gamers have been shit on throughout most of the console generation.

It's literally the first game that I felt has actually brought the GTX260 to its knees. Dishonored was smooth as silk, Crysis 2 would average ~50 on medium/high settings. The card is old, but until now I've had zero reason to upgrade.

You still have no reason to be disappointed. You've gotten quite a bit of mileage out of your card already. It's not as if the game is unoptimized.

Spazznid

When I hear "ultra realistic" I think something like ARMA3. Compared to that, crysis might as well be just as surreal as bioshock. The faces are slightly cartoony, the armor, the aliens, the exaggerated lighting, the weapon's effects, etc.. Crysis is pure scifi.

Lol, I'm not talking about anything but the rendering... you can't look at a brick in crysis and say,"yep, Thats a sci-fi brick for sure!" I agree with you, but I was never arguing about gameplay, story, characters, etc. Just rendering and textures and lighting...

Spazznid

Maybe a few years ago, but the last 12 months have been a revolution for PC ports. Bioshock Infinite isn't quite up to those standards.

We're even getting a little bit spoiled, but I'm okay with that after PC gamers have been shit on throughout most of the console generation.

I agree, it's a pretty great time to be a pc gamer. Also looks to continue getting better.

Interesting that my 7850 can run Tomb Raider on high at 1080p/60fps (with no AA and no TressFX) but Bioshock Inifinite, forget about it, not happening.

Running 720p/60fps with AA except for those little stuttering bits that everyone is having.

mileS

The only games I can think of right now are Tomb Raider and Hitman? even then TR had some rough parts compared to this.

I'm going to respectfully disagree here :) Like name a couple console ports from the past few years that compare? Maybe I haven't played them or I'm just oblivious to them. I'm not trying to start an argument or anything, just curious thats all.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Lol, I'm not talking about anything but the rendering... you can't look at a brick in crysis and say,"yep, Thats a sci-fi brick for sure!" I agree with you, but I was never arguing about gameplay, story, characters, etc. Just rendering and textures and lighting...
I'm talking purely about art style. You can absolutely look at a brick texture in crysis and notice its exaggerated nature. Or a street sign or a door frame. Crysis is ever so slightly cartoony. It just is. LOL

Post processing looks like its just DoF right? Hate that effect..

Also forcing Vsync in CCC is not working for me, any one else having this issue?

Spazznid

I'm talking purely about art style. You can absolutely look at a brick texture in crysis and notice its exaggerated nature. Or a street sign or a door frame. Crysis is ever so slightly cartoony. It just is. LOL

I don't see that in the slightest. Sorry to keep disagreeing, but if you can see that, then I guess we may have differing perspectives on what realism is. I'd rather not get banned for arguing, though, so I'll leave it at that.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
You're not gonna be banned for disagreeing, but you're right.. This is going nowhere.

I'm in a bad mood, I haven't eaten yet.

ss_lemonade

If anything, it's a miracle you can actually play it. Do you know what the minimum requirements are? It's pretty much right there at the bottom and SUBSTANTIALLY below the recommended.
I don't know, I think at 720p a gtx 260 should be running this at better than console framerates. Or are the console versions sub hd and/or running worse than that?

noomi

I am also very concerned with this stuttering issue people are reporting. Most have mentioned it is from VRAM being eaten up by the games textures. Hoping my 2GB 680 will suffice for a 1080P resolution.

I dont think even crysis 3 ate up 2GB of VRAM @ 1080p with maxed settings. Can't get home fast enough.

*edit*

posted somewhere else:

Fixed stuttering with bUseBackgroundLevelStreaming=false in
C:\Users\###\Documents\My Games\BioShock Infinite\XGame\Config\XEngine.ini

Anyone know how to enable Hardcore 1999 mode on PC? Hard is still to easy for me.

Post processing looks like its just DoF right? Hate that effect..

Also forcing Vsync in CCC is not working for me, any one else having this issue?

I'm not using CCC to force V-sync, but do you have D3DOverrider? If not, then download/install Rivatuner here: http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/Video-Tweak/RivaTuner.shtml
After it's finished installing, open D3DOverrider and make a profile for the Bioshock Infinite .exe file. Enable triple buffering and V-sync through D3DOverrider, disable framerate lock in the graphics options of Bioshock Infinite, and you'll get V-sync without a significant loss in performance.

I don't know, I think at 720p a gtx 260 should be running this at better than console framerates. Or are the console versions sub hd and/or running worse than that?

Yeah, I think it's fair to be disappointed by a PC game's performance if it can't hold 30 FPS on a GTX 260 at display and resolution settings that are similar to the 360/PS3 versions. What CPU do you have?

I've got the same setup as well- 5770 and Phenom II X4

Just installed it and ran the Benchmark utility:

V2k3d1V.jpg

1920x1080 resolution, on Very High settings.

Not 60fps or anything but honestly, it looked really good with the only real noticable slowdown right at the start. Probably tinker with the settings some more, but for my 3+ year old 5770, it performed pretty well.

Now I just have to see how it fairs in the actual game.

Huzzah, I'm just waiting for it to unpack and then I'll hopefully corroborate these numbers.

Chili

I am also very concerned with this stuttering issue people are reporting. Most have mentioned it is from VRAM being eaten up by the games textures. Hoping my 2GB 680 will suffice for a 1080P resolution.

I dont think even crysis 3 ate up 2GB of VRAM @ 1080p with maxed settings. Can't get home fast enough.

*edit*

posted somewhere else:

I tried this earlier and although it solves the stuttering I'm now thinking that it may produce some game-breaking glitches as it stops certain objects/textures from loading.

I'm not really sold by the Depth of Field in this game. When it's done well I love it - being close to an object in ENB Skyrim,for example, appropriately softens the back. In this game it's just a background effect. Unfortunately, since I can't get rid of aliasing I don't want to remove the blur since the background cities would start having a jaggie party at my expense of my sanity.

I tried this earlier and although it solves the stuttering I'm now thinking that it may produce some game-breaking glitches as it stops certain objects/textures from loading.

Really? I got pool set to 640 and streaming set to off. Is game breaking glitches proven with streaming set to off?

Dinda

Is there a way to increase the UI size while downsampling? It runs great but I'am almost unable to read anything because the UI shrinks so much and i'm quite a bit away from the monitor.
It would be perfect if it would stay the same proportional size like in 1080p

Chili

Really? I got pool set to 640 and streaming set to off. Is game breaking glitches proven with streaming set to off?

Well I couldn't progress any further because some objects that I needed to interact with were not 'there' (but there was an 'invisible wall' where they were supposed to be). And I've read of someone else saying the same thing. It could just be an unrelated coincidence and those bugs would have happened regardless.

eyeless

alright played for a bit now so i feel confident in saying it looks like lowering my textures to normal has made the stuttering almost disappear

it's still stuttered a small number of times but with ultra it was fucking out of control. i just played for like an hour or something and basically forgot there ever was stuttering. sucks to lower the textures but you mostly don't notice if you aren't looking too hard anyway

give it a try

edit: upped the textures to high and i'm still getting minimal stuttering

antitrop

Is there a way to increase the UI size while downsampling? It runs great but I'am almost unable to read anything because the UI shrinks so much and i'm quite a bit away from the monitor.
It would be perfect if it would stay the same proportional size like in 1080p

Wouldn't that be nice?

FaintDeftone

Wouldn't disabling post processing make the backgrounds look like butt? There is so much detail in the backgrounds that I would hate for all of it to look bad or pop in late.

nitric0

To people with 5850/6850, if you're fine with 30 fps my advice is to just lower the shadows to normal or high at most and max out everything else. At 1080p you'll get absolutely smooth performance (assuming you don't have a bottleneck with cpu or memory).

I can confirm this. I maxed everything out except shadows and I haven't dipped below 30fps at 1080p
phenom ii 965 @ 4.0
8gb ram
hd6870

vio

Averaging mid 30s with frequent drops to 10-20 on 720p medium settings on my GTX260. I know it's an older card, but considering Dishonored ran silky smooth, I'm a little disappointed.

Wow that is really bad. It is a modified e UE3 so i guess that`s why. I wonder what they did with it that makes it run much worse.

MNC

DO NOT TRY BACKING UP SAVES FOR LATER. I can confirm it does not work :( Played through the intro again, tried going back to my old save... Aaaaaaaaand I'm back at the raffle.

Top Bottom