• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BioShock Infinite PC Performance Thread

JohngPR

you dont really need to though, you can still use one on top of the other

also guess i'll ask one more time: anyone has any idea how to make the injector work while running d3doverrider?

As far as I undersstand it, the injector and d3doverrider simply can't work together. Something about both of them using D3D to work or something.

I was able to get vsync/triple buffering to work on my AMD card with the 3rd party program Radeon Pro...maybe there's an NV equivalent?

MNC

What was the problem?

I played up to the Murder of Crows vigor, about an hour in. I wanted to show the intro to someone, so I backed savefiles up and restarted the game from scratch. Got up to the raffle, and placed my saves back. They did not load, and I kept getting loaded at the raffle.

There are actually multiple saves in the save folder; one of them called after-moc-fight (or something) and I figured, that's probably Murder of Crows, which was my original save, and a few other points.

The new playthrough that erased my was called raffle, and that one was being loaded all the time. So I just renamed my moc-fight to raffle, and it loaded my moc-fight save instead. Now, I just played for a few hours, so I hope it created some new new savefiles and it will load that instead...

In short: It's not worth the hassle. Hope they implement quicksaves or multiple savefiles, or show a youtube video. The savefiles, in combination with Steam Cloud, make it all pretty scary to fiddle with.

Salsa

I was able to get vsync/triple buffering to work on my AMD card with the 3rd party program Radeon Pro...maybe there's an NV equivalent?

oh yeah I probably can just force it through the NV panel

might check it out later. Hate how the injector fudges all the text tho

As far as I undersstand it, the injector and d3doverrider simply can't work together. Something about both of them using D3D to work or something.

I actually did what another poster mentioned which was changing the ingame frame lock to ON and then changing the frame value in the .ini - I'm hoping to get sweetfx working now, since i think that fraps was why it wasn't working earlier.

Also weirdly enough, if I use the frame lock in game, it doesn't lock during the benchmark.

Mr. Plankton

Neo Member
Oh my God those textures for the circuit breaker things in the area just before meeting Elizabeth. Oh God, my eyes. Please kill off UE3 already.

I'm getting a little weirdness on the audio mix. Sound levels drop off ridiculously quickly and there's like no crossfeed whatsoever. I have to stand right up on people talking in order to hear them and if they're on my left, I get nothing at all in the right channel and vice versa.

Is this normal?

FINALBOSS

Banned
I'm getting a little weirdness on the audio mix. Sound levels drop off ridiculously quickly and there's like no crossfeed whatsoever. I have to stand right up on people talking in order to hear them and if they're on my left, I get nothing at all in the right channel and vice versa.

Is this normal?

Yes. It's very weird.

Turning away from audio sources makes them like instantly shut-off.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Anyone?
I know I'm pretty outdated, but I have a nVidia GTX 260 Video Card. I believe it has 896 Megs of RAM. Will I be able to run this game ok? I don't expect to max it or anything. Just want to make sure I don't spend the money on a version I can't run, but I much prefer my PC for FPS over my XBOX 360 if I can help it.

I'm running a GTX 275 right now with 6gb of ram and an i7. I tried it last night for shits and giggles at High on fullscreen resolution and it ran like butt.

Now I have it running at 1280x720/windowed on high and it runs pretty good. Some hick-ups during level transitions, but overall it's going over pretty well.

Really wished I had upgraded my card awhile back, but oh well.

Ithil

Texture work is uneven for sure. But simply saying this game is a typical "console port trash" or whatever is beyond stretching. This is 1000x better than we usually get.

The only time the word "trash" should be used in relation to BI is "you can get items from trash cans".

Which GPUs are you two using? My PC is still in progress but I am planning on hooking it up to my 60" Pioneer Kuro whenever I get finished with it. I know that means I am going no higher than 1080p but I would like to get a card that won't be outdated in just a few months. How well does a 7950 or 670 seem to be running this game?

I had a 4GB 670 but had to sell it a couple weeks ago :(
hahahahah I'm on a 5750 :p

switching in the summer when haswell is out, building a new machine from scratch than.

So now I just have to do with OK settings at 1080 still looks incredible ! truly an amazing game! :O

Okay now this is starting to piss me off.

Everytime I try to start a new game, the game freezes at the loading screen and crashes. I've tried lowering the quality, re-installing the game, restarting the PC, verifying the integrity of the files, rolling back to the 13.2 drivers (AMD) and un-ticking Steam cloud.

Can anybody help me out with this? This is beyond frustrating now.

JamboGT

Have an issue with the game forcing me to select low or very low textures, very irritating, going to have to postpone my playing till either AMD or Irrational roll out a fix. Using a Radeon HD 7870 card, apparently this is not a rare issue.

Teabag

Neo Member
Concerning the stuttering:

I do not recommend to change any setting that has anything to do with textures.

Changing the Poolsize from its default resulted for me missing NPCs, objects and actual game moments that just simply failed to load. I am in this particular level, where a game moment need to happen to move the story forward but never did because the game was glitching.

Unfortunately, simply re-loading the game with the default Poolsize (or even with a fresh XEngine.ini file) doesn't work - the glitches stick. In my case, I had to play the entire first hour of the game again to make it work, which it thankfully did.

To fix the stutter, I followed someone's advice here and knocked down the texture quality to Normal. Stuttering is still there, however it's far infrequent and very minute (at least for majority of the game that I have played). It's kind of a bummer, especially that you can notice the low-res textures after you have played 30mins of the game with Ultra textures. But it makes the game playable and that's the most important part, and with everything else on Ultra the game is as beautiful as ever.

I hope OP removes the Poolsize fix in his post. While it pay improve performance for some, it's just not worth it to face game breaking bugs. With how shockingly sparse checkpoints are in this game, it will be a major pain in the arse to replay some of the chapters again.

Red

Is this normal?
Noticed the same thing. Thought it was just me.

Salsa

Changing the Poolsize from its default resulted for me missing NPCs, objects and actual game moments that just simply failed to load. I am in this particular level, where a game moment need to happen to move the story forward but never did because the game was glitching.

Unfortunately, simply re-loading the game with the default Poolsize (or even with a fresh XEngine.ini file) doesn't work - the glitches stick. In my case, I had to play the entire first hour of the game again to make it work, which it thankfully did.

To fix the stutter, I followed someone's advice here and knocked down the texture quality to Normal. Stuttering is still there, however it's far infrequent and very minute (at least for majority of the game that I have played). It's kind of a bummer, especially that you can notice the low-res textures after you have played 30mins of the game with Ultra textures. But it makes the game playable and that's the most important part, and with everything else on Ultra the game is as beautiful as ever.

I hope OP removes the Poolsize fix in his post. While it pay improve performance for some, it's just not worth it to face game breaking bugs. With how shockingly sparse checkpoints are in this game, it will be a major pain in the arse to replay some of the chapters again.

Honestly none of what you describe here seems to be indicative that the pool size thing was what's causing you those issues

ive been playing for 8 hours with pool size on 640 and had no issues whatsoever

Mairu

How do you know the poolsize change had anything to do with the glitches you were encountering?

SoulClap

Is this normal?

I'm experiencing the same thing. The mix isn't very good.

Amir0x

Banned
Honestly none of what you describe here seems to be indicative that the pool size thing was what's causing you those issues

yup. Poolsize thing worked like a charm for me, no glitches

Screens not super settings but for my current machine it looks fantastic! :D
B1716F3BBC945C680D594BE31645288CFDB3DB12

850D8931A1C6A89C42D5EB9D0BD991EB4737B1C5

C4A8EB8ADF983954A1E12B9036C70A6B75474137

I just bought a new graphics card because the game kept dipping down to single digits on my ATI 4890, now i just ordered a 7870 XT I hope i can keep the game above 30.

Salsa

yup. Poolsize thing worked like a charm for me, no glitches

It didnt completely fix the stuttering for me though and it's more prevalent in some very specific areas that are not demanding at all, so my guess is that the game just needs some patching done

When I start it up it's black but I can run the benchmark fine. Spent 30 min trying to fix it on 2k forums before realizing that the threads were from 2007 about bioshock 2 :/
Latest drivers, gtx 670. No overclocking software, no fraps, stock speed for everything. I sometimes hear a water splash upon opening but that's it.

Nvm, a restart and a verify cache worked for me.

neoism

got sweetfx 1.4 working really makes the colors pop more... msaa is awesome. too..
still got the shuttering, but I'm used to it at this point, go some awesome screens but they're mostly spoilerish so I'll wait a week or so for some...
liz is awesome and beautiful..

got sweetfx 1.4 working really makes to colors pop more... msaa is awesome. too..
still got the shuttering, but I'm used to it at this point, go some awesome screens but they're mostly spoilerish so I'll wait a week or so for some...
liz is awesome and beautiful..

If only SweetFX really did have msaa ;)

Still can't believe the whole of the internet hasn't found a way to remove that bloody HUD...

Teabag

Neo Member
How do you know the poolsize change had anything to do with the glitches you were encountering?

The game moment I mentioned before, where I said that something needed to happen to move the story forward. In that particular level, I could see objects floating, missing platforms, trees without branches, etc. When I realized what was happening, I figured it might be the Poolsize because I read someone here mention that it was causing game breaking glitches. So I reset the Poolsize to 400 and tried the game again, and it loaded all the missing objects fine, howover it still failed to load the game moment and couple of other NPC interactions before that - probably due to the fact that glitches somehow sticks with your save file and so even with the Poolsize reset, the game didn't correctly read it properly or something and still remained glitched.

The thing about the Poolsize glitch is that, even though it might not have yet caused a game breaking glitch, it will completely omit certain interactions or objects that you won't even realize should have been part of the game. For example: the time you get your first Vigor and pass this gate. Just after that, there's an NPC interaction with a coin. When the game was glitching, I simply passed that gate, the NPC interaction never happened because they did not even load, and I didn't realize I was missing something.

It's strange. I still maintain to play the game without touching any texture settings.

-PXG-

Shit.

Anyone have the default config. For some reason everything is darker. Lighting is kind of fucked up.

bioshockinfinite2013-kkc30.png

bioshockinfinite2013-dvcok.png

bioshockinfinite2013-77e7v.png

It was fine until I changed a few things.

Salsa

I dont understand why people would want to SweetFX this

afaik that always seems to bring up more contrast and tint to the colors, and this game is already fucking screaming strong colors at your face

you guys are gonna pop your eyes out

The game is barely running well enough to convince me to play through it, especially because I don't want to spend 2 months avoiding spoilers, but not well enough to be that great. Wish I didn't have to use a laptop.

my game keeps graphically glitching, like my gpu is gonna blow up, and then the window minimizes. :(

i'm playing on borderless fullscreen, if that has something to do with it

LowParry

Running on a 7950, 3750K CPU, 8 GIG1666 ram.

My lord this game is just out of control gorgeous. After playing around with some of the settings, I found it best to have dynamic shadows between high or very high. The small stutters happen however and I changed that pool to 640. It's not heavily distracting yet though I've only been walking through the first 30 minutes of the game. Most settings I do have at Ultra and it does appear to be running pretty solid at 50+ frames. I need to get FRAPS back on this computer to see what it is I'm running at. But so far overall, extremely impressed.

What is the best postprocessing option to use btw?

Top Bottom