• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BioShock Infinite PC Performance Thread

Benchmark results (1680x1050, UltraDX11_DDOF preset):

bioinfbenchmarkresult3sahu.jpg

Specs: 8GB DDR3-1600, 2600K @ 4.6GHz, 2GB GTX 670 SLI (314.22 drivers).

Edit: A couple of people wanted 1080p benchmarks when the Tomb Raider thread went up, so here are my results at 1920x1200 with the same in-game settings as above:

bioinfbenchmarkresult3fiux.jpg

Where does the benchmark save the files to? Can't seem to find them

edit: nvm found them

Grief.exe

Anyone know of a console command or some other way to remove the weapons and HUD?

I want to take some screenshots when this game comes out.

Phionoxx

Just some initial config tweaks to fix two glaring issues for me:

XUserOptions.ini

MinMouseLookSensitivity=0.140000
MaxMouseLookSensitivity=4.000000

Change the min/max slider to something more comfortable. These work well for my setup. The default options are way too high, apart from the very minimum which is way too low.

FieldOfView=1.500000

Expands the FOV sider range. I like mine nice and high and this works well for me. The default max value was still too low.

Thanks for these. Dumb question, but where should the XUserOptions.ini be located? I tried finding it in steamapps -> common -> BioShock Infinite -> XGame with no luck.

edit: nevermind, found it. It's in My Documents -> My Games -> Bioshock Infinite

Zeliard

I'm not a fan of these types of FOV sliders. Give me an integer, dammit. :p Dunno if you're able to just "setFOV= " again like in Bioshock.

Weird frame drops when approaching some of the NPC's scripted scenes. Drops back from 60 fps to 30 when I get close to
the guy getting his shoes polished in the clothes shop
(tagged it just to be safe)

60 fps locked when I'm at a 5m distance but suddenly drops when I get nearer.

filipe

I just hope I don't have to sacrifice too much in the settings to get +60 on my 570. I'll be upgrading my computer soon anyway but I need to play this game instantly.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Is there any difference in benchmark results between ultra textures and the next highest level? Maybe ultra setting defaults to very high textures or whatever?

High:
bioinf_benchmark_highgvf5x.jpg

Ultra:
bioinf_benchmark_ultr0yi9u.jpg

The maximum reported framerates always seems to vary wildly (see my benchmarks posted earlier), but the average framerate differences between the two settings are virtually non-existent.

Edit: I just compared VRAM usage between the two settings: 1522MB on High versus 1566MB on Ultra.

This is what i got
Benchmark results (1920x1200, Very High preset):
yr2eSmR.png

Benchmark results (1920x1200, UltraDX11_DDOF preset):
5165DeM.png

Specs: 16GB DDR3-1600, 2500K @ 3.3GHz, 1.5GB GTX 580 (314.22 drivers)

antitrop

Can you elaborate?

Sorry, I've removed myself from the OT so I probably missed something.

There's really not much to elaborate on.

The pre-load on Steam is all the game has to offer and the Ultra-level "HD" textures are included in the base PC game. It's about 17GB in size total, not close to 30GB as some were predicting.

Can I just set FOV to my Valve standard of 90? I can't take these sliders!

The sliders are in the graphics menu in game. Doens't have numbers just a slider though

Also weird thing, the game runs great for me maxed out. 80 fps at times in busy carnival areas BUT every now and then it will freeze for a split second like it's loading something which cause this sort of laggy jerk in motion

Grief.exe

There's really not much to elaborate on.

The pre-load on Steam is all the game has to offer and the Ultra-level "HD" textures are included in the base PC game. It's about 17GB in size total, not close to 30GB as some were predicting.

Don't the HD texture packs usually come after the game is released? And seperately to avoid destroying peoples caps?

I thought you had a statement from Ken or something.

BTW, I know the game is out in other regions, doesn't mean its over yet.

The sliders are in the graphics menu in game. Doens't have numbers just a slider though

Also weird thing, the game runs great for me maxed out. 80 fps at times in busy carnival areas BUT every now and then it will freeze for a split second like it's loading something which cause this sort of laggy jerk in motion

You sure you aren't experiencing screen tearing because you don't have vsync on?

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
i preloaded the game on steam but im not seeing the benchmark option anywhere, im not even seeing a bio infinite folder in commons.

That's UE3's patented streaming engine™ alright. Those hitches, jerks and pauses happen as the game dynamically loads new areas into RAM from the HDD.

The solution for this problem in previous UE3 games was to increase the Poolsize number in the Game's Engine.ini file under the heading [TextureStreaming] to a larger number.

Also ensure OnlyStreamInTextures under the [SystemSettings] heading in the same ini file is set to FALSE.

we should do what we did for the witcher 2 performance thread, since we have benchmark tool just post specs and benchmark numbers in the OT.

JaseC

Regarding High/Ultra textures: there's virtually no difference in average performance between the two and there's a mere ~40MB VRAM penalty associated with the latter. Coupling this with the 10GB difference between the minimum and recommended amount of free space would lead me to believe that higher-resolution textures are missing.

Edit: And as I mentioned earlier, the game is currently 16.9GB installed, which falls around the minimum spec.

Grief.exe

Regarding High/Ultra textures: there's virtually no difference in average performance between the two and there's a mere ~40MB VRAM penalty associated with the latter. Coupling this with the 10GB difference between the minimum and recommended amount of free space would lead me to believe that higher-resolution textures are missing.

Quick. Someone tweet Ken, I think we need confirmation before we go up in arms.

I agree with Jase, seems suspicious.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Don't the HD texture packs usually come after the game is released? And seperately to avoid destroying peoples caps?

I thought you had a statement from Ken or something.

BTW, I know the game is out in other regions, doesn't mean its over yet.

As far as I know, the original source of the belief in a texture pack came from a misreading of an Irrational blog post about the PC version.

They said merely that "full resolution" textures would be included out of the box, and that it would ship on 3 DVDs. That is presumably the same 15gb of data that we pre-loaded on Steam.

The other piece of information we had was the recommended HD space, which was 30gb, so people concluded from that there must be 10-15 more gigs of data beyond the 15gb game install on Steam. It's possible that the 15gb file blows up to 20 or 30gb, so there's no need to posit an additional texture pack to explain the recommended HD requirements.

So, it's possible, based on all this, that there never was a higher res texture pack to begin with.

On the other hand, based on JaseC's posts, maybe there is and it's not released yet for some reason.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism

Is it possible that depending on the amount of free space, the game will decompress itself to varying degrees? I don't know the technical details of Steam installers.

People who used a VPN to play the game are reporting the file is a total of 16.9 gigs

Ah, right. That is indeed reason to be suspicious.

Maybe the high res textures won't be available until it unlocks in North America. Because America deserves the best.

JaseC

Minimum framerate looks terrible.

That'd be due to caching issues, I assume. It's a pity there's no way to re-run the benchmark in-game, as I'm sure the minimum framerate would go up with most of the pertinent data being retained in RAM.

Is it possible that depending on the amount of free space, the game will decompress itself to varying degrees? I don't know the technical details of Steam installers.

Ah, right. That is indeed reason to be suspicious.

Maybe the high res textures won't be available until it unlocks in North America. Because America deserves the best.

Looking at my Local Files Disc Usage it shows 17348MB, so its possible that the HD pack may not be released yet?

An-Det

This game is going to make my 5850/I5 system it's bitch. Will have to check for the performance analysis tool once the game unlocks for me, should definitely help.

Any idea how to get SGSSAA working?

Also, my results from the benchmark with a slightly overclocked 670 and an i5 2500K (4.8Ghz) at 1080P on ultra

eQCoYfl.png

KKRT00

That'd be due to caching issues, I assume. It's a pity there's no way to re-run the benchmark in-game, as I'm sure the minimum framerate would go up with most of the pertinent data being retained in RAM.

So such a low fps happens only at the beginning of the each benchmark? If yes, that its not a problem.

Top Bottom