• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BioShock Infinite PC Performance Thread

Don't the HD texture packs usually come after the game is released? And seperately to avoid destroying peoples caps?

I thought you had a statement from Ken or something.

BTW, I know the game is out in other regions, doesn't mean its over yet.

You sure you aren't experiencing screen tearing because you don't have vsync on?

Definitely not tearing, my monitor is 144Hz and I barely get tearing at all.
this is something like ambientmystic said, it locks the game for a split second and carries on, like booker will literally stop moving. A guy talked about it in the OT too having the same issue

AndyBNV

Nvidia
Quick and dirty 3840x2160 SMAA Ultra shots downsampled to 1920x1080:

screenshot19677oax41.png

screenshot20618m4zci.png

screenshot60230vdz6w.png

Benchmark results:

3840x2160benchmarkresd7c27.png

Settings: 3840x2160, max in-game settings, Alternate post-process, injected SMAA Ultra
Setup: 2-Way SLI GTX Titan, i7-2600K @ 4.6GHz

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
So such a low fps happens only at the beginning of the each benchmark? If yes, that its not a problem.

I doubt they're just particularly heavy moments of the benchmark as the minimum framerates are largely rubbish across the board. Just look at Andy's -- and he has two Titans (perk of the job, eh? ;)). Edit: He's running at 4k, though, so that's not the best example to use. :p

Shadow quality seems to have a big hit on framerate (I'm downsampling from 2560x1600) - on ultra some scenes would drop to 20fps, but on high I get around 50-60 fps. Running on a GTX 670.

Here's a comparison between shadows on high and ultra (DX11).

high
ibwXpzZDTUdfE7.png

ultra
ibuFf95Wp4vJw9.png

AndyBNV

Nvidia
I doubt they're just particularly heavy moments of the benchmark as the minimum framerates are rubbish across the board. Just look at Andy's -- and he has two Titans (perk of the job, eh? ;)).

I am running at 4K res :) At 1920x1080 I get an average of 140.22 frames per second.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
High:
bioinf_benchmark_highgvf5x.jpg

Ultra:
bioinf_benchmark_ultr0yi9u.jpg

The maximum reported framerates always seems to vary wildly (see my benchmarks posted earlier), but the average framerate differences between the two settings are virtually non-existent.

Edit: I just compared VRAM usage between the two settings: 1522MB on High versus 1566MB on Ultra.

Did you happen to get the latest nvidia drivers before doing this? I share the 670's with you but have 16GB of 2133 memory and a 3930k at 4.6ghz.

Zeliard

I dunno how the Konami code works with keyboard for 1999 mode (presumably it would work as you'd expect), but for those of you who don't want to or can't plug in a pad for that purpose, changing this in XUserOptions.ini should work:

bHasInput1999Code=True

Mine was already at true but I had also already unlocked the mode. I assume by default it's at false.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I am running at 4K res :) At 1920x1080 I get an average of 140.22 frames per second.

Yeah, I noticed that after posting, which is why I ninja-edited it out. :p A minimum of ~20fps is going to seem normal when the average is around twice that, haha.

Did you happen to get the latest nvidia drivers before doing this? I share the 670's with you but have 16GB of 2133 memory and a 3930k at 4.6ghz.

Sure did.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
So medium is console settings right? I just want to be able to play this thing on my 460 on at least console settings.

i have never had any problems playing a console port on anything short of max on a 460 at 1080p. hell, i was just playing ac2 maxed at 1440p.

Dennis

Banned
Why would you want to play this with one?

Because 360 controller > mouse for immersion.

I want to walk around in this world using an analog stick.

I am not trying to impress anyone with my ability to headshot someone with one pixel precision.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Why would you want to play this with one?

because its more fun to explore with analogue moment then WASD. Precision is pointless in an immersion game, and its nice to game on a couch with a big screen in front of you and full surround system blasting loud.

antitrop

With my mouse DPI setting at 3100 and Windows value at Default, I changed the INI settings to:

MinMouseLookSensitivity=0.100000
MaxMouseLookSensitivity=3.000000

And I'm finding the second "tick" from the left on the slider to be adequate with Mouse Accel off.

Grief.exe

Because 360 controller > mouse for immersion.

I want to walk around in this world using an analog stick.

I am not trying to impress anyone with my ability to headshot someone with one pixel precision.

This is why most previews are done with the PC version and a Xbox controller connected.

Far better for immersion if the screen isn't jerking around.

Zeliard

It's perfectly possible to just move the mouse around slowly and absorb the environment as you walk around and gaze at stuff, unless you're using some mutant-level high sensitivity. :p

Dennis

Banned
It's perfectly possible to just move the mouse around slowly and absorb the environment as you walk around and gaze at stuff, unless you're using some mutant-level high sensitivity. :p

My mouse is set to 4000 DPI at all times. Anything else feels like molasses.

Yes, I turned it off. Also editting the .INI file to fix the Mouse Sensitivity slider is 100% necessary.

It's laughably fucked by default.

Is it the typical mouse smoothing entry in the XInput.ini file or is there an actual option in the game it self to disable mouse acceleration?

Shadow quality seems to have a big hit on framerate (I'm downsampling from 2560x1600) - on ultra some scenes would drop to 20fps, but on high I get around 50-60 fps. Running on a GTX 670.

Looks like Ultra is basically contact hardening shadows, but it doesn't look like a great implementation of it. I'll stick to high.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa

why does the Ultra screen have worse shadows? or is it dynamic?

abunai

Is it the typical mouse smoothing entry in the XInput.ini file or is there an actual option in the game it self to disable mouse acceleration?

There's an option in game to turn off the mouse accel.

edit: hmm, changed DefaultbHasInput1999Code to 1 and bHasInput1999Code=True, but still can't choose 1999 mode. Where do you punch in the konami code?

Top Bottom