• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BioShock Infinite PC Performance Thread

Ce-Lin

well gameplay stuttering is absolutely gone with a correct poolsize value, we're talking the split-second stuttering triggered by fixed loading areas, that shouldn't be happening, PCs have enough RAM and VRAM to load whole chapters into memory (enthusiasts' PCs can pretty much store the whole game in RAM) so we find it annoying that the game relies on decompressing assets in a weird non-optimized way that causes stuttering, that's what we're trying to fix.

Hah, I just enjoy the challenge... I spend more time tinkering with games than playing with them.

A tool I found that you might be interested in is "extract" and "decompress" for UE3 by some Russian dude. I think games need explicit support, but it looks like that's something that might come in handy.

haha same here, love tweaking games to look and perform as I'd like (or the closest possible), thanks for the links, looks like I was using outdated versions of that tools, we'll see...

Well, they say they have it happening now (well, as of a few days ago) so you're probably spot-on with that, in that only recently they may have just thought to try the full retail build.

with all respects to Irrational and their awesome work, wouldn't it be not-so-smart having their clients complaining about the retail build and they testing an internal build not intended for release ?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
with all respects to Irrational and their awesome work, wouldn't it be not-so-smart having their clients complaining about the retail build and they testing an internal build not intended for release ?

Presuming the only difference between the two is that the latter hasn't had its assets archived, the oversight would be understandable.

denomes

Not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but here goes:

When I play this game (and this game alone) on the TV hooked up to my PC, the television reports "No Signal".

The PC is hooked up to my soundbar (DVI to HDMI), which is in turn hooked up to the TV via HDMI.

I set the television as the primary monitor, but no dice. This is the only game I've encountered this problem with.

Any ideas?

hlhbk

Chris Kline from irrational just posted this about an hour ago on the 2k forums:

Hello folks,

I want to assure you that Irrational Games is actively working on fixes for this issue and others. In particular, the stuttering/hitching issue been one of my personal priorities for the last week or so.

We've made good progress in improving the problem, but we need to do a lot of testing to make sure that any fixes we consider releasing to our customers don't make things worse or cause new problems. This testing and iteration takes time, so that's why we cannot provide a date right now for when any fix might be released.

Thank you again for your patience!

-- Chris Kline, Technical Director, Irrational Games

'Improving the problem' could be a telling choice of words - there is a distinct possibility that it's a deep, unsolvable issue that can only be smoothed out to a point, but never fully go away.

Herne

I have everything but shadows turned up to ultra, and it runs well on my i5 2500 12GB and Radeon 6870. Might load up Fraps later and do some tests.

I haven't had much of a chance to play, so even though I'm one of the people who wasn't too bothered by the streaming hitches or what ever they turned out to be, I think I'll wait for a patch. Smoother is always better.

Kambing

When I play this game (and this game alone) on the TV hooked up to my PC, the television reports "No Signal".

The PC is hooked up to my soundbar (DVI to HDMI), which is in turn hooked up to the TV via HDMI.

I set the television as the primary monitor, but no dice. This is the only game I've encountered this problem with.

Any ideas?

This may be weird seeing as i don't have the game but i've encountered this problem many times on other PC games. What happened in my case was that games were initially outputting to a resolution not supported by the TV in use, in my case a pioneer 500m. The easiest way to solve this is by editing the ini file of a game and specify the resolution you would like it to output at. The other way to do this is by running the game first on a monitor(which tends to accept a shit ton of resolutions) and change the resolution output from there.

The former is easier but sometimes i was not able to edit and or find the ini file of a game. So the definite yet mundane way in my experience is to use a monitor for.

Hope this helps.

Eyothrie

We got another update from Chris Kline over at the 2K forum:

Hello folks,

I want to assure you that Irrational Games is actively working on fixes for this issue and others. In particular, the stuttering/hitching issue been one of my personal priorities for the last week or so.

We've made good progress in improving the problem, but we need to do a lot of testing to make sure that any fixes we consider releasing to our customers don't make things worse or cause new problems. This testing and iteration takes time, so that's why we cannot provide a date right now for when any fix might be released.

Thank you again for your patience!

-- Chris Kline, Technical Director, Irrational Games

It's a few posts down
http://forums.2kgames.com/showthrea...ng-Pauses-even-on-high-end-PC-hardware/page7&

Edit: smh Beaten

Red

Any ideas?
Not sure, but maybe try running it windowed?

moop1167

What in the hell? I am only getting a 'low' and 'very low' option for texture detail in the settings all of a sudden.

How do I fix this?

I want to know why I'm getting artifacts only when playing B:I. I know it's usually because my graphics card is over-overclocked, but I swear it's only in this game. My Gigabyte Radeon 6850 is at 925/1125 and this guide says it's fine for stock voltage, which I can't change with Afterburner.

Shaneus

What sort of artifacts? Any chance of a screenshot/off-screen photo?

Could be the driver version as well. I know some Catalyst revisions have been known to do similar stuff in the past.

hlhbk

So just to verify all the possible workarounds/fixes for the stuttering issue are on the OP right? Are there any other ones we can try. I really wanna play the game. :(

scitek

I want to know why I'm getting artifacts only when playing B:I. I know it's usually because my graphics card is over-overclocked, but I swear it's only in this game. My Gigabyte Radeon 6850 is at 925/1125 and this guide says it's fine for stock voltage, which I can't change with Afterburner.

This is the only game I've had crash on me due to my GPU overclock (also using Afterburner).

Hey, does anyone else have a low texture problem when adjusting the poolsize??

I have a gtx 680 and I put 1200 for both the basengine and xengine files...

the stutter is pretty much gone (even when loading new areas) but now the textures seem to be low res when ever i'm not close to them..

Here is an example:

bioshockinfinite2013041.png

Deku Tree

Can a 15" rMBP i7 with 16GB ram and Windows 7 installed run Bioshock Infinite substantially seriously noticeably better than a PS3? Thanks!

-griffy-

Banned
Can a 15" rMBP i7 with 16GB ram and Windows 7 installed run Bioshock Infinite substantially seriously noticeably better than a PS3? Thanks!

I play it on my Mid 2011 Macbook Pro with 16GB of RAM and a 1GB 6750m on medium/normal settings, it plays fine (after doing stuttering .ini tweaks) and looks pretty good, especially output to my HDTV. Doesn't compare to all Ultra on my desktop though, but it certainly looks as good as and runs better than the console versions.

DonDraper

Banned
So I'm new to the whole PC gaming thing and have a question about what I'm experiencing in this game. I checked the OP and tried searching the thread and couldn't find anything, so forgive me if this has been discussed.

Just built a PC and started playing BI today. I've got a i5 3570k (stock), Gigabyte 7950 3GB, with 8gb ram. I have the game running on the default Ultra settings.

So the thing I'm noticing is that whenever I'm viewing from left to right, such as spinning the camera in a circle walking and turning left/right, I start to see what looks horizontal lines or flickering or something. Its tough to put into words. Like when I spin the camera it looks like these lines appear, then stop when I stop spinning, as if these lines or frames just snap back into place or something.

Sometimes this happens when viewing up and down, but that seems more rare.

I'm also playing on my 50" HDTV at 1080p via HDMI, if that means anything.

I'm sorry for sounding so vague or not describing it more eloquently. I really don't know how to put it into words. :/ Any kind of insight or help would be greatly appreciated.

-griffy-

Banned
So I'm new to the whole PC gaming thing and have a question about what I'm experiencing in this game. I checked the OP and tried searching the thread and couldn't find anything, so forgive me if this has been discussed.

Just built a PC and started playing BI today. I've got a i5 3570k (stock), Gigabyte 7950 3GB, with 8gb ram. I have the game running on the default Ultra settings.

So the thing I'm noticing is that whenever I'm viewing from left to right, such as spinning the camera in a circle walking and turning left/right, I start to see what looks horizontal lines or flickering or something. Its tough to put into words. Like when I spin the camera it looks like these lines appear, then stop when I stop spinning, as if these lines or frames just snap back into place or something.

Sometimes this happens when viewing up and down, but that seems more rare.

I'm also playing on my 50" HDTV at 1080p via HDMI, if that means anything.

I'm sorry for sounding so vague or not describing it more eloquently. I really don't know how to put it into words. :/ Any kind of insight or help would be greatly appreciated.
I'm assuming that what you're describing is screen tearing. This happens when your frames per second exceeds the refresh rate of your monitor/display (probably 60hz in this case, so above 60 frames per second). You use what's called V-sync to force the game to stay at or below your monitor's refresh rate, so at or below 60 frames per second. There's a setting in the video options for Bioshock Infinite called Framerate Lock that does this. For games without that setting you can force it through your graphics card settings via Catalyst Control Center. You could also try running the game in Windowed Fullscreen instead of Fullscreen.

Sometimes enabling V-sync can decrease performance too much, so you have to weight the performance loss vs. having screen tearing occasionally. It's worse in some games than others, and some games have triple buffering in the options that can increase performance when using V-sync too, but can introduce mouse lag. So all kinds of trade offs.

Anyways, try enabling framerate lock or run in Windowed Fullscreen.

Now if that doesn't fix it there might be another problem between the PC, HDMI cable and the TV as well. In the past I've had issues with screen tearing on my TV that isn't present on my monitor when duplicating the display.

NIN90

Three Finger Salute (Ctrl-Alt-Del) or Alt-Tab or Alt-F4 not working for you?

The screen just freezes? No blue screens?

CAD doesn't work. Screen turns into a random solid color (lol I think I had green, red and white so far). Only thing that I can do is powering the PC off manually by holding the power button. Tried it three times so far. Always happens after a minute or two regardless where I'm actually at inside the Good Time Club.

Can't find anything on Google on this. Shit sucks.

CAD doesn't work. Screen turns into a random solid color (lol I think I had green, red and white so far). Only thing that I can do is powering the PC off manually by holding the power button. Tried it three times so far. Always happens after a minute or two regardless where I'm actually at inside the Good Time Club.

Can't find anything on Google on this. Shit sucks.

Sounds like a GPU issue. Is the GPU heavily OC'ed by any chance? Perhaps you oughtta crank up the voltage. Game uses some pretty heavy DX10/11 effects when maxed out.

Shaneus

Yeah, I'd say GPU issue or one of the files is corrupted/missing (to the point of causing an error when that file's loaded. I'd check the consistency of the files, CPU/GPU temps and maybe even hop on the Guru3D forums, see if anyone there's having problems (normally if it's driver related, someone would have mentioned it there).

I'd also try pulling back the graphic detail (resolution and texture detail) to see if the crash still occurs in that same area. Maybe check your event logs as well, see if anything crops up at the point of where it crashes.

NIN90

Sounds like a GPU issue. Is the GPU heavily OC'ed by any chance? Perhaps you oughtta crank up the voltage. Game uses some pretty heavy DX10/11 effects when maxed out.

Haven't OC'd this GPU, no. But I think it came pre-OC'd by the manufacturer. Haven't had any issues with overheating in other games, though.
I dunno. Game worked fine up until this part. Guess I'll try upping the voltage. By how much would you suggest? Don't think I've ever done this before.

Haven't OC'd this GPU, no. But I think it came pre-OC'd by the manufacturer. Haven't had any issues with overheating in other games, though.
I dunno. Game worked fine up until this part. Guess I'll try upping the voltage. By how much would you suggest? Don't think I've ever done this before.

Hmm... stating the make and model of your card, plus the manufacturer would be helpful to determine this. Also, the clocks (Core/Shader/Mem) the card runs at when playing games.

General rule of thumb when upping the voltage with the corresponding clocks is to take it slow and steady, by very small increments. Using software like MSI Afterburner to monitor the card whilst OCing/OVing it is also good.

Shaneus' suggestions are also good.

NIN90

Hmm... stating the make and model of your card, plus the manufacturer would be helpful to determine this. Also, the clocks (Core/Shader/Mem) the card runs at when playing games.

General rule of thumb when upping the voltage with the corresponding clocks is to take it slow and steady, by very small increments. Using software like MSI Afterburner to monitor the card whilst OCing/OVing it is also good.

Shaneus' suggestions are also good.

It's a Palit Jetstream NVIDIA GTX 660 Ti
Hitting the bunk now. I'll figure this stuff out tomorrow.

Shaneus

Turns out I CAN see artifacts with screenshots.

Some are red vertical lines.

Some are red or purple squares.

And they always seem to be in the upper screen.
What were you using to take the screenshots? I'd almost be inclined to think it's an issue with a DX injector like Fraps, RadeonPro or MSI Afterburner. If you're locking the framerate down "artificially", I'd try closing whatever program it is you're using and trying again.

Also, yeah... check GPU temps.

Eyothrie

Its been 3 weeks now, and I really have lost all respect for Irrational. This is the last PC game of theirs I purchase. Ridiculous.

Salmonax

Its been 3 weeks now, and I really have lost all respect for Irrational. This is the last PC game of theirs I purchase. Ridiculous.

Yeah, I remember devouring the previous two Bioshocks in a matter of days (yep, I even really enjoyed Bioshock 2), and yet I'm letting this one just sit for weeks. I completely love the aesthetic - just can't do it.

nib95

Banned

It's things like this that often make console gaming the more convenient and reliable choice. That's why I need next gen to come sooner. I don't need extreme bells and whistles (eg Ultra shadow quality and AO on Very High) that add hardly anything to the overall image but cost a shit tonne of resources, and I don't need anything higher than 1080p either.

Top Bottom