• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BioShock Infinite PC Performance Thread

scitek

It's things like this that often make console gaming the more convenient and reliable choice. That's why I need next gen to come sooner. I don't need extreme bells and whistles (eg Ultra shadow quality and AO on Very High) that add hardly anything to the overall image but cost a shit tonne of resources, and I don't need anything higher than 1080p either.

Good for you.

Qassim

I had awful stuttering issues on my two 5850s when the game first come out. I got a EVGA GTX 680 classified 4096MB a few weeks ago and it is as smooth as butter, not a single stutter, deleted my config directory to let the game rebuild a default one for me just to make sure any changes I made weren't helping.

Surprised at the VRAM usage, getting over 2GB used:

(adaptive vsync used, not in-game 'framerate lock')

4HB7xup.jpg

It is all on maximum available settings.

I had awful stuttering issues on my two 5850s when the game first come out. I got a EVGA GTX 680 classified 4096MB a few weeks ago and it is as smooth as butter, not a single stutter, deleted my config directory to let the game rebuild a default one for me just to make sure any changes I made weren't helping.

4HB7xup.jpg

What res and AA? (On my phone atm)

leng jai

It's things like this that often make console gaming the more convenient and reliable choice. That's why I need next gen to come sooner. I don't need extreme bells and whistles (eg Ultra shadow quality and AO on Very High) that add hardly anything to the overall image but cost a shit tonne of resources, and I don't need anything higher than 1080p either.

Bolded is hilarious. Also shit like this happens on console games as well. The only difference is there's zero chance of a DIY fix.

GoW: Ascension has had borked audio for 2 months and there's still no fix for that. Same nonsense.

Shaneus

Same thing happens on consoles, though it may not be as noticeable as those locked to 30fps on PC hardly seem to notice.

Case in point:
MaLDoX said:
Now I can go back to writing here, I want to say I've been testing the console version (xbox360) and also has loading pauses in the same places that pc version.

Erasus

Far Cry 3 on consoles...

nib95

Banned
On reflection, yes I take the above back. Far Cry 3, Skyrim PS3, GOWA sync issues. I hastily made a silly post in annoyance of them not fixing the stuttering. My bad.

Sillier still given I was one of the few people who never had an issue with stuttering. Though I did still get momentary new area load pauses/checkpoint saves.

Those are for texture caches. There is no way any scene in this game uses that much VRAM.

hlhbk

Just posted the following the 2k support forums:

I try to give the developers the benefit of the doubt but this is just ridiculous. It has almost been a month that we can't play a game a lot of us bought day one. I work in IT, and if something we support was broken we would lock ourselves in a room and not leave until the issue is fixed no matter how many hours we are in there. A month is unacceptable. We are not beta testers.

Ckline what can your customers expect for compensation for this unacceptable situation?

RedSwirl

How will this game run on a 2.4GHz Q6600 system with just 3GB of RAM and an HD6850? I'd be running it on a 1440 x 900 monitor.

Shaneus

In a similar boat, just posted on the forums as well:
If I come across a similar situation (like with Saint's Row 3) where there's DLC happily released for the game but there are still obvious performance issues, I'll be incredibly peeved off and be sure to tell everyone I know about the issues, possibly to the point of pushing for a refund. I'm really hoping it doesn't come to that, but it's been quite a while since we've last heard any kind of update. Even something along the lines of "we're currently testing a fix that eliminates the issue" or "we're testing multiple solutions for the problem" would do. But all we've heard is that they've been able to replicate it.

It's having universal stutter problems? Like Deus Ex HR did when it first came out?

Should I go DX9 to be safe or go ahead with DX11?

I don't think you can even choose between those modes afaik. Certain advanced options are unselectable for DX10 only cards (like Contact Hardening Shadows which are Ultra Shadows, Advanced AO options and alternative post processing methods which are DX11 exclusive features in the game)

Also, the game only supports DX10 or DX11 graphic cards. You'll notice the min sys requirements list Vista combined with the new platform update (that brings DX11 support to Vista). XP (DX9) isn't even a choice for this game.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
The game definitely can and should be MUCH better optimized, but for the record I don't get any stutters(at least not noticeable ones) on my rig(GTX 680 4GB/Intel Core i7 950 OC'ed @ 4.0Ghz/60GB DDR6 ram). The occasional framerate drops are annoying though.

Shaneus

It's those occasional framerate drops we're bitching about here. Rest of the game I have no problem with.

Assuming those are the framerate drops you're talking about.

antitrop

Has there been a significant patch at all, yet? I haven't touched the game since I beat it a few days after launch.

I refuse to replay until it's unfucked.

Ledsen

This game has technical problems? I haven't noticed anything on my GTX560Ti after 5-6 hours, someone care to explain? Or... maybe I don't want to know :/

I've got the same GPU as you and everything is maxed out, I get the 'new area' stuttering, 99% of the time it's locked to 60FPS.

So I'm just about to start BI and is was wondering roughly what settings I should be looking at for a 3570k @ 4.2 and a 2GB 670? Playing at 1080p and looking to get 60fps. I read the op, so u should steer clear of the ini change in regards to scripting, even of it helps performance? I can expect stuttering though by all accounts in here?

Xyber

Its going to stutter just like on every PC.

6950 2GB here, didn't experience any severe stuttering during my playthrough. There was a few spots at the start of the game where I noticed it, but other than that it worked flawless throughout the game (apart from some screen tearing, but that's more my fault for not doing anything about it). And I'm not one of those guys who don't notice stuttering in games, it's one of the worst thing I know.

Shaneus

So I'm just about to start BI and is was wondering roughly what settings I should be looking at for a 3570k @ 4.2 and a 2GB 670? Playing at 1080p and looking to get 60fps. I read the op, so u should steer clear of the ini change in regards to scripting, even of it helps performance? I can expect stuttering though by all accounts in here?
Yes. You can tinker with the ini to improve performance in 90% of the game, but you'll still get bogged down at each of those load points like everyone else.

6950 2GB here, didn't experience any severe stuttering during my playthrough. There was a few spots at the start of the game where I noticed it, but other than that it worked flawless throughout the game (apart from some screen tearing, but that's more my fault for not doing anything about it). And I'm not one of those guys who don't notice stuttering in games, it's one of the worst thing I know.
Are you running it at 30fps or with vsync off? From what I've seen on the 2K forums, the people who don't notice it are those who are running low framerates to begin with. I think my machine can run it at around ~110fps or so, but it still dips to 25 in these areas. But I think if you were running it at 30, you might not notice it.

Kelegacy

XBOX - RECORD ME LOVING DOWN MY WOMAN GOOD
I wound up increasing the pool size out of irritation and I got it to work almost flawlessly. It still stuttered around loading areas and just going from some rooms to another but for the most part it was fine.

Also started played on controller about halfway through and wound up liking it more.

kamspy

90% of my stuttering is gone since applying the exe mempool extension, disabling in game vsync and suing d3doverrider.

Good PC, but no powerhouse

AMT 1100t
EVGA GTX 680 2GB
8GB DDR 3
7200 RPM HDDs

Xyber

Are you running it at 30fps or with vsync off? From what I've seen on the 2K forums, the people who don't notice it are those who are running low framerates to begin with. I think my machine can run it at around ~110fps or so, but it still dips to 25 in these areas. But I think if you were running it at 30, you might not notice it.

Oh god no, 60+ pretty much all the time. No vsync on.

Shaneus

Brilliant. This is from that 2K thread:
C. Kline is on vacation at the moment (according to Twitter) so I imagine there won't be any updates on the situation anytime soon - even if, as he said, the stuttering issue is/was one of his priorities. I'm glad he took the time to jump on the forums and fill us in earlier on, though.

Ugh. Might as well just give up on it.

denomes

This may be weird seeing as i don't have the game but i've encountered this problem many times on other PC games. What happened in my case was that games were initially outputting to a resolution not supported by the TV in use, in my case a pioneer 500m. The easiest way to solve this is by editing the ini file of a game and specify the resolution you would like it to output at. The other way to do this is by running the game first on a monitor(which tends to accept a shit ton of resolutions) and change the resolution output from there.

The former is easier but sometimes i was not able to edit and or find the ini file of a game. So the definite yet mundane way in my experience is to use a monitor for.

Hope this helps.

Not sure, but maybe try running it windowed?

Thank you both for your kind replies.

Unfortunately, setting the resolution via the .ini file didn't work. I did play it through on my monitor now, still no signal on the television. I've tried only standard resolutions, 720 and 1080p.

I can run it in windowed borderless on the television, but my computer is not the best, and the performance takes a hit.

Funnily enough, I just fired up the original Bioshock, wanting to play it again after Infinite, and it has the same problem (though it worked fine on its initial boot).

Dave_6

Played about an hour of this so far on my brand new PC (3570K, 8GB, 7970 3GB, nothing overclocked yet). It's hooked up to my 60" Pioneer plasma so I can't go any higher than 1080p60. I've got everything on Ultra (VSync on as I hate tearing) except AA which I turned off and using Afterburner it holds 60 fps most of the time but I can see drops into the 20s. Would that be the stuttering you all are speaking of? I can see it too but coming from consoles it doesn't bug me too bad.

I could live with it if the game was all played at a slow pace, but when you get a hitch right in the middle of some fast action, it's pretty annoying. Enough to make me stop playing, despite really enjoying the story and atmosphere for the first few hours.

Eyothrie

Played about an hour of this so far on my brand new PC (3570K, 8GB, 7970 3GB, nothing overclocked yet). It's hooked up to my 60" Pioneer plasma so I can't go any higher than 1080p60. I've got everything on Ultra (VSync on as I hate tearing) except AA which I turned off and using Afterburner it holds 60 fps most of the time but I can see drops into the 20s. Would that be the stuttering you all are speaking of? I can see it too but coming from consoles it doesn't bug me too bad.

Yes, that is the stuttering we're talking about- "area loading" stuttering.

I haven't been paying attention to this thread (or the game) for a couple of weeks now. I'm pretty shocked to find out that it hasn't been patched yet. See you guys in another couple of weeks!

The stuttering was noticeable but tolerable for me until the fight against the
zeppelin
while I was zipping around on the skylines. At that point the stuttering got so bad that the game was nearly unplayable.

Considering how widespread the issue is, I have a hard time believing that Irrational wasn't aware of it themselves prior to launch. That and they have terrible QA.

Is it normal for my frame rate to drop all of a sudden when I'm simply moving around on a particular level? I have 2 gtx 670s and I have seen my frame rate just drop for nothing then it picks back up, wtf is that? I have vsync on through the nv control panel.

No_Style

Is it normal for my frame rate to drop all of a sudden when I'm simply moving around on a particular level? I have 2 gtx 670s and I have seen my frame rate just drop for nothing then it picks back up, wtf is that? I have vsync on through the nv control panel.

I encountered the issues you described as well. I attributed it to streaming loads but I could be way off here.

Riggs

Banned
Haven't played since launch because the stuttering was taking me out of the atmosphere, and its still not patched? Lol what a joke.

I7 960
6GB Ram
EVGA 680

SnowTeeth

Banned
I luckily haven't experienced any stuttering on my i7 2600 + GTX 570 + 8GB RAM but the problem reminds me of the experience I had with Deus Ex: Human Revolution (despite the lack of stuttering with the beta). It was beyond frustrating but a fix was eventually made, hope one is released soon for this game.

Shaneus

I luckily haven't experienced any stuttering on my i7 2600 + GTX 570 + 8GB RAM
I don't believe you. If you can record a few minutes of gameplay with an FPS counter in the corner, then I will. But there's no evidence to suggest that anyone is immune to this issue. People with better processors and GPUs than yours have, but if there's something specific that no-one had considered... I'm all ears!

Sorry if that came off a bit harsh, but like I mentioned... there's no one hardware item or configuration setting that eliminates this issue or even reduces it that I've seen thus far (nor has appeared on the official forums, either).

SnowTeeth

Banned
I don't believe you. If you can record a few minutes of gameplay with an FPS counter in the corner, then I will. But there's no evidence to suggest that anyone is immune to this issue. People with better processors and GPUs than yours have, but if there's something specific that no-one had considered... I'm all ears!

Sorry if that came off a bit harsh, but like I mentioned... there's no one hardware item or configuration setting that eliminates this issue or even reduces it that I've seen thus far (nor has appeared on the official forums, either).

Haha, it's cool man. I need to preface by saying that I haven't completed the game, far from it - I'm only up to the Bull House Impound. That said, besides a lil bit of slowdown when turning fast (I have most of the graphics options set to extreme as I am an unabashed graphics whore) for the most part the game seems to hold it together quite well, there is definitely no stuttering I have experienced thus far.

I'm happy to record video, though I haven't done so before. I assume Fraps is the way to go?
Okay, as I haven't really seen footage of the problem I quickly looked up the problem on Youtube: This and this were the first hits and to be honest the problem isn't as severe as I had thought. I could in fact have the same issue but just haven't really noticed it.

I'm basing the problem known as 'stuttering' on my experiences with Deus Ex: HR - another example. Now that stuttering I couldn't deal with, especially as the beta ran as smooth as silk for me and the retail version stuttered like every 15 seconds or so for some reason.. I just don't get the same feeling with Infinite.

Shaneus

Okay, as I haven't really seen footage of the problem I quickly looked up the problem on Youtube: This and this were the first hits and to be honest the problem isn't as severe as I had thought. I could in fact have the same issue but just haven't really noticed it.

I'm basing the problem known as 'stuttering' on my experiences with Deus Ex: HR - another example. Now that stuttering I couldn't deal with, especially as the beta ran as smooth as silk for me and the retail version stuttered like every 15 seconds or so for some reason.. I just don't get the same feeling with Infinite.
Yeah, while it's similar to what's happening in the DE3 vids, definitely not as severe. But it's damn jarring when there's literally no good reason for it to happen. GPU, CPU, RAM, VRAM and disk storage all in check. Hell, even copied the game files to a virtual RAMdisk and had the same problem.

It's so much a problem that I haven't been able to bring myself to play much past the :48s mark of that first vid you posted. Irritates the hell out of me :(

PS. Don't bother recording a video... I was just in a state of disbelief when I said it. And while I still don't believe you ( ;) ), if you don't notice it, then it doesn't matter one iota what I think :)

And there is evidence to suggest that 100% of people have this problem?
Haven't seen anyone post conclusive proof that they haven't.

Ce-Lin

How will this game run on a 2.4GHz Q6600 system with just 3GB of RAM and an HD6850? I'd be running it on a 1440 x 900 monitor.

if that Q6600 is a G0 revision you can overclock it to 3+ GHz for "free"... apart from that you'd be fine playing in high-ultra as long as you lock the framerate to 30, that CPU can't deliver a smooth 60 fps experience since the dips are too frequent and huge, my brother has the same setup as mine but I upgraded to a 3570K... on the other hand my bro is so stubborn he loves his old Q6600 and say it can still run anything, we both have some 7950 Boost 3 GB, the game runs beautifully in my system , with the loading stuttering of course... but his same system running the Q6600 looks like a roller coaster with the framerate all over the place, time to upgrade that CPU ! for 1080p 30fps locked it's fine though as far as I've seen, that CPU got indeed some legs when overclocked.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
The stuttering was noticeable but tolerable for me until the fight against the
zeppelin
while I was zipping around on the skylines. At that point the stuttering got so bad that the game was nearly unplayable.

Considering how widespread the issue is, I have a hard time believing that Irrational wasn't aware of it themselves prior to launch. That and they have terrible QA.
Honestly, I think this is an issue with Unreal Engine 3 and the way it streams data.

This problem has existed in just about every UE3 game to some extent and its severity depends entirely upon how much streaming the particular game is attempting. Infinite seems to push this further than most UE3 titles and, as such, is particularly severe.

I have yet to find any definitive fix and I'm not entirely sure it's possible to completely solve. I doubt Irrational will be able to solve it via a patch when the problem lies with the engine itself. Carmack has touched on these types of issues before (moving data quickly between storage and memory in a Windows environment) and I think this is just another symptom of that.

Aquanox

Oh ok.

How about creating a profile on Radeon Pro (AMD users), then on Tweaks, go to V-Sync: Always Enable. Then on Dynamic V-Sync Enable it and fix to 60 fps.

Edit: Set it to Triple Buffer V-Sync.

This one helped my friend a lot.

Yes, it's in the OP. It helps, but doesn't entirely remove the stutter.

Shaneus

Oh ok.

How about creating a profile on Radeon Pro (AMD users), then on Tweaks, go to V-Sync: Always Enable. Then on Dynamic V-Sync Enable it and fix to 60 fps.

Edit: Set it to Triple Buffer V-Sync.

This one helped my friend a lot.
No dice, because it dips well below 60fps. If it was only dropping a few those settings might help, but nothing can help when you drop from 120fps to under 30. That, and it's not a GPU problem. Can't alleviate any shortcomings outside of ATI drivers/the GPU itself with RP.

I was really concerned about the stuttering issues before I played BI but I decided to get it anyway. I definitely have them but considering it only happens for maybe a second every 15-20 min of playtime it isn't bothering me at all. Playing at 60fps at all other times. I can understand people getting annoyed by it though.

Top Bottom