• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BioShock Infinite PC Performance Thread

I started playing the game and was playing fine until about 80 minutes, when it crashed. From then on, the intervals between crashes have got greater and greater. I had dinner so haven't played the game for 30 minutes. It lasted a bit longer. But now I'm playing it more, it's crashing all the time now. It doesn't help that there's no quick save. I've played some scenarios multiple times.

Dennis

Banned
What difficulty setting is recommended? I like a challenge but hate frustrating boss fights.

HUD? Tell me how to get rid of it, GAF.

Soi-Fong

I started playing the game and was playing fine until about 80 minutes, when it crashed. From then on, the intervals between crashes have got greater and greater. I had dinner so haven't played the game for 30 minutes. It lasted a bit longer. But now I'm playing it more, it's crashing all the time now. It doesn't help that there's no quick save. I've played some scenarios multiple times.

Same thing is happening with me actually. Though mine is worst. Literally crashing every 4 or so minutes...

Something weird is going on with memory. It looks odd in the task manager. I want to know how to increase the pool bus so maybe it'll prevent it.

Someone here stated they did it.

Well, thats interesting. Got out into the first open part of the game and immediately my head started spinning, to the point I actually thought this was going to be the first game to make me actually throw up. Got a bit better as I went on, but I'm just having a look through the ini's and just found a command for ReduceMotionSickness. Anyone know what it actually does?

antitrop

This is UE3, right? Expecting competent rigs to destroy this game, can't wait to play!

i7-2600k @ 4.8ghz, GTX 590, 16GB RAM.

55-60fps 99% of the time at 3200x1600, almost maxed settings (shadows turned down). 2880x1620 is locked 60 for me.

Extremely similar to almost all other UE3 games I've played, but not quite on the same level as DmC or Dishonored. Although I think Dishonored only runs well because it looks like shit, not because it's well optimized like DmC is.

Cronen

Benchmark tool question! What does the first option, "user" mean? Does it look at the current settings that my copy of the game is running on and does the benchmark based on that?

Any way to get rid of the screen tearing that's happening so often?? In the Nvidia control panel i tried v-sync on/off, adaptive, and use application setting as well as the in game lock framerate option and the latter sort of fixed it but capped the game to mostly 30fps.

Grief.exe

I'm playing through on Hard right now and its not very hard.

The first 'boss' went down in 4 head shots with the pistol.

Not having to ADS is huge, not only for aiming and positioning, but I think the NPCs are required to ADS.

They all seem to have to stop and shot, easy head shots.

i7-2600k @ 4.8ghz, GTX 590, 16GB RAM.

55-60fps 99% of the time at 3200x1600, almost maxed settings (shadows turned down). 2880x1620 is locked 60 for me.

Extremely similar to almost all other UE3 games I've played, but not quite on the same level as DmC or Dishonored. Although I think Dishonored only runs well because it looks like shit, not because it's well optimized like DmC is.
BAM. That's what I want to hear. I'm on a GTX 570, 2600K stock and 8 gigs of ram. Only expecting to play at 1200p, though!

Im playing with the following:

- GTX 560 Ti OC
- AMD Phenom II 955 3Ghz
- 6GB DDR3 RAM

Im playing in 1080p with everything on Ultra but Shadows. Benchmark says im getting an average of 40 fps. On Very high i have 64 fps. Its really playable and looks fantastic!

What difficulty setting is recommended? I like a challenge but hate frustrating boss fights.

HUD? Tell me how to get rid of it, GAF.

If you like a challenge stay the hell away from normal mode lol. game is piss easy on it and you constantly get health and salts
What one PC setting would be the most taxing? I might lower one or two just to keep the frame rate a little smoother.

I heard shadows take a lot to run

antitrop

The shadows I think. I heard lowering them from ultra to high can you 20-25 fps boost in performance
That was me that said that and it's Ultra to Very High, Ultra to High would give you almost 30. And then turning Ambient Occlusion from Ultra to Normal can get you another 10 or so on top of that.

I'm playing with Shadows on Very High and AO on Normal.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Wha? That shouldn't be possible... It's VSync, which unlocks when you go below 60 FPS. There should be no tearing.

With adaptive, it turns off vsync when below 60, which means you will get tearing. It only enables vsync when the frame rate is above 60 to eliminate tearing.

< 60fps, vsync off, tearing yes
> 60fps, vsync on, tearing no

You only want adaptive vsync if you are mostly >60fps, this eliminates high fps tearing and keeps a steady 60fps.

A little bit confused about how the "Recommended Requirements" for HDD space. It says the game requires 30GB, but the game only takes up 14GB? This is only a concern because I have a 64GB SSD that only has 3GB left with the preload. Should I be worried? Or should I just uninstall DOTA - cry a little a bit - and get over it?

Grief.exe

With adaptive, it turns off vsync when below 60, which means you will get tearing. It only enables vsync when the frame rate is above 60 to eliminate tearing.

You only want adaptive vsync if you are mostly >60fps, this eliminates high fps tearing and keeps a steady 60fps.

I don't think you are tearing below 60 fps, I think you are seeing Unreal Engine streaming issues.

A little bit confused about how the "Recommended Requirements" for HDD space. It says the game requires 30GB, but the game only takes up 14GB? This is only a concern because I have a 64GB SSD that only has 3GB left with the preload. Should I be worried? Or should I just uninstall DOTA - cry a little a bit - and get over it?

They were either flat out lying to us to make us believe there were HD textures, or they are taking DLC into account.

mkenyon

Banned

Tearing shouldn't really occur when frame times go above 16.7ms.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Tearing shouldn't really occur when frame times go above 16.7ms.

Why?

Above 16.7ms (1/60) means <60fps (30fps = 33.3ms) . Your TV/Monitor is a 60Hz device (most likely). It cannot sync to a 56Hz or 44Hz signal, this will cause tearing. The only way to get rid of screen tearing (without triple buffering) is to turn vsync on and that means 10, 15, 30, 60fps.

Salsa

this thread is confusing

so basically everyone's killing it even at crazy resolutions with aged cards

but then some people with better set ups mention constant stuttering

what is going on

AndyBNV

Nvidia
I asked Chris Kline, Irrational Games Technical Director, about the Post Process options: https://twitter.com/korkyplunger/status/316283975146545153

I prefer alt PP, but it's softer and less pronounced. Art team prefers normal as key scenes were designed for that mode.

Sounds like Normal is the way to go if you want to see the game as the art team designed it.

Anyone get SMAA injection to work?

Yes. Drop the contents of the d3d10 folder into \Steam\SteamApps\common\BioShock Infinite\Binaries\Win32

Grief.exe

Restarting Steam going into online mode will remove the play option from Infinite.

I'm about to leave so I thought I would test it out.

R1CHO

I also get stuttering with my gtx 660.

PS: Gpu usage with my current settings

iTsdBZzZAG2BM.png

Still a lot of frame drops.

Only eight more hours for me. I'm curious how well my Asus G73JH will run it. It's got a 5870 ATI Radeon Mobility Pro or something and an i7. Not sure about ram. Sorry, I'm not very knowledgeable about computers. I know Far Cry 3 made it cry, so I probably won't be able to get all the bells and whistles.

Zeliard

Yes. Drop the contents of the d3d10 folder into \Steam\SteamApps\common\BioShock Infinite\Binaries\Win32

I had done so but it was giving me a black screen.

Turns out that D3DOverrider was conflicting with it. Turning that off allowed me to boot the game up w/ SMAA. Hrm. I want my triple buffering :(

Top Bottom