• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BioShock Infinite PC Performance Thread

I am still not done with Mass Effect 3 and the old ass drivers are the only ones that will allow me to use SGSSAA with ME3 and that game needs it.

I just can't seem to get around to finishing it and it is holding me back.

Hopefully there will be an HD texture pack (sans texmod) released in the relatively near future...

Four Wude

Unconfirmed Member
So what's the verdict on V-Sync? I've heard that turning on 'Lock Framerate' forces the game to use V-Sync at 30 FPS. I'm one of those silly comfy couch PC gamers and I really want to play this game at 60 FPS with no tearing. I'm not a big fan of Adaptive V-Sync. Can anyone with an Nvidia card please test out control panel V-Sync to see if the game is capped at 60 FPS with no tearing (similar to Dead Space)? Thanks in advance.

mkenyon

Banned
Why?

Above 16.7ms (1/60) means <60fps (30fps = 33.3ms) . Your TV/Monitor is a 60Hz device (most likely). It cannot sync to a 56Hz or 44Hz signal, this will cause tearing. The only way to get rid of screen tearing (without triple buffering) is to turn vsync on and that means 10, 15, 30, 60fps.
Since the refresh rate is faster than the frame rate, the tears are going to be far less noticeable than the opposite. (120Hz for me)

my setup!

Solidarity in mid-range rigs! Mine was OK with the Witcher 2 after some judicious changing of graphics options, so hopefully this will be fine.

Additionally Dishonored ran fine with forced supersampling, so my unscientific comparison equals success :)

Dinosur

Ugggh curse living in the PST zone. Second to last in the world to unlock it (sucks to be in Hawaii)

Unless they're doing something weird, it should unlock at 9pm for you. It's midnight EST.

edit: At least in CST the east coast release stuff opens at 11pm.

ymmv

Banned
Well, thats interesting. Got out into the first open part of the game and immediately my head started spinning, to the point I actually thought this was going to be the first game to make me actually throw up. Got a bit better as I went on, but I'm just having a look through the ini's and just found a command for ReduceMotionSickness. Anyone know what it actually does?

Heh, I stopped after 45 minutes because I started to feel queasy. Guess I'm still too much accustomed to third person perspective games.

Grief.exe

So what's the verdict on V-Sync? I've heard that turning on 'Lock Framerate' forces the game to use V-Sync at 30 FPS. I'm one of those silly comfy couch PC gamers and I really want to play this game at 60 FPS with no tearing. I'm not a big fan of Adaptive V-Sync. Can anyone with an Nvidia card please test out control panel V-Sync to see if the game is capped at 60 FPS with no tearing (similar to Dead Space)? Thanks in advance.

Turn on Adaptive V-sync through Nvidia Inspector.

Qassim

This is why most previews are done with the PC version and a Xbox controller connected.

Far better for immersion if the screen isn't jerking around.

I watch those previews and all I can think about is why a human is moving around like a tank. Totally breaks immersion.

Lucifon

Game looks great and seems to run smoothly so far other than the regular micro stutters - pretty annoying. Nvidia 660ti here on the latest drivers released today. Any fix for this yet?

Grief.exe

Is the HD texture pack up for people who have it unlocked yet? If so is it working well?

Doesn't exist, we were fooled

To put an end to all the HD texture download talk I tweeted Chris Kline, tech head honcho on Infinite:

Hey Chris, great job on the game! Can you clarify something - is there going to be an extra "HD texture" download on PC?

No, there's no extra texture pack on PC. The high res textures are included with the Steam preload.

https://twitter.com/korkyplunger/status/316262383796502530

imjust1n

Banned
Can anyone tell me running this game with a AMD Radeon 6770 HD 1GB GDDR5 can I run on high? and if run on medium is this going to look like garbage?

Zemm

There are low-res textures all over the place, but this is one of the best looking games I've ever played. I honestly can't get over it.

Yeah good art can easily make up for low res textures, and judging from Sesslers review and some screenshots I've seen on here, this game most certainly has good art.

Santiako

Only an hour and ten minutes until unlock, hopefully I can run this fine enough. I can run BL2 fine so I assume my laptop will be able to handle this.

neoism

anyone playing on old drivers///// gotta a
i.5 2.7 quad
R5870 1gb
8gb ram.....

just wondering if you absolutely need the newest drivers to play or not... just getting Tomb raider a few days ago and have really bad problems with the game as much as I really want this I dun want to drop $60 on a game I cant play...

But in reality can you actually feel that ~16% frame boost? Try some a/b tests to be sure it's not placebo. I can see the usefulness in 3d gaming but not in normal mode.

I highly doubt it looks any different. but I came from a 60Hz HD TV to this so it looks extremely smooth in comparison. Compared to 120Hz I'd say you wouldn't see a difference at all. The monitor was just the same price as 120Hz ones so I went for it instead
How good is the IQ on it? I'm in the market for a 120hz/144hz monitor.

it's fine, not the best and out of the box it's vomit inducing. but after tweaks it leveled out nicely. It's obviously worse than a proper say 1440p monitor but it does the job. If IQ is really really important to you then I'd recommend monitors for that. But I really wanted smooth images as I got headaches on my TV after long periods of trying to focus on stuttery camera pans. I also wanted it for FPS games.
120Hz is an amazing thing

Is it true you don't need vsync with a 120hz monitor? If so I just may need to get one.

Yep, FAR less tearing now for me. And the 1ms response time makes things super easy to control.
And yeah what Grief said, if your frames get too high the effect can come back but overall it's far less noticeable

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
How does this run on an E8500 and GTX285?

More like Bioshock 1 or 2? The first run great most of the time, the second not so much, for no reason.

Just curious if it's even worth trying before I build the new PC which should be any day now, maybe even tomorrow.

prophecy0

Ffffff I just got home from work and used a Korean VPN to unlock the game... Steam then proceeded to start downloading all 15GB worth of the game again. I checked last night and it was already preloaded!

I guess I'll play some more Xenoblade while Bioshock downloads.

Zeth

Any suggestions for a single 680? I think I have some headroom to add some AA if possible, or maybe bump to 1400P and turn down a few things.

antitrop

Any suggestions for a single 680? I think I have some headroom to add some AA if possible, or maybe bump to 1400P and turn down a few things.
Turn down the Shadow settings drastically and Downsample the fuck out of it. That's what I'm doing on a 590, which benchmarks very similarly to the 680.

moop1167

I am running SLI GTX 580's and am downsampling a bit... seems to run fine.

Also, is there a way to actually set a number for FOV? I changed the one line in XEngine.ini but it doesn't seem to make a difference.

Top Bottom