• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Remaster 1/2 free upgrades now live on Steam.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
I haven't played these games before but own them. Based on the comparison shots, it looks like (at least for BS1), I might prefer the original. But I also like some aspects of the Remaster version. Hmm...

joms5

are you looking at the right ones? the textures are way better in the remaster.

They look higher resolution but...

The bottom one is higher resolution but all the detail/distress is gone. Looks like a flat gray wall.

It looks too clean. And maybe it's just me, but where are the shadows and wet look on the new ones?

In that same shot, look at the difference in the floor. Wide floor boards to really skinny ones. The detail on the garbage can is gone. Look at the frame around the door. It pops in the original. It's practically invisible in the remaster. Look at the neon plasmid sign on the right. The original is outlined in a soft purple and is filled with a faint yellow glow. The new one has a hard purple outline and no fill.

I could go on and on. You're right that the new textures are cleaner. That's for sure. But it seems like they took some artistic license. And not for the better in most cases.

EDIT: I'm starting to wonder if it's a lighting issue. In the second set of screens you post if you look at the wrench in the original it has the look of deep pitting in the metal, whereas the remaster has a flat look to it. The pitting on metal can also be seen on the beams that hold the glass in place in that hallway. I'm starting to wonder if it looks different in motion.

Look forward to Digital Foundry doing a deep dive on this. (no pun intended)
That would be definitive.

Robot Pants

Damn, I guess I never had the Steam version of this game. I know I had the PC version at some point, but I have no idea where. Looked at my GOG account, nothing. Looked at Amazon, nope. Looked through my Games for Windows Live, no record of it....

Where the hell did I buy this game?

Bastables

How did they "did get it right" when they aren't even of equal quality to a 10 year old game?

Textures are better, more detail for instance when you inject your first plasmid there is debris and a scuffed rug below in the remaster that was not present in the original. Fov is much bigger standard than the originals. All for free and automatically given to me. Physics are not locked to 30fps as the originals.

So I disagree with your foaming at the mouth over foaming water.

dsk1210

Damn, I guess I never had the Steam version of this game. I know I had the PC version at some point, but I have no idea where. Looked at my GOG account, nothing. Looked at Amazon, nope. Looked through my Games for Windows Live, no record of it....

If you bought the physical games for Windows version, you should be able to register the key in steam, if you can find it that is.

joms5

Textures are better, more detail for instance when you inject your first plasmid there is debris and a scuffed rug below in the remaster that was not present in the original. Fov is much bigger standard than the originals. All for free and automatically given to me. Physics are not locked to 30fps as the originals.

That's the kind of stuff that bothers me about this remaster. It's one thing to up res a game, it's another to re texture things. But when you start putting things in, that weren't there before, it bothers me a bit.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

If you're talking about the original game, you may have snagged it for free from GameFly. Unfortunately, while owners of the original BioShock can request a Steam key from 2K, this applies only to physical retail copies (from "Can I Upgrade To HD If I Already Own Previous BioShock Titles On Steam?"):

Now, if you own BioShock on a retail disc for PC, you will need to fill out a support ticket to prove your ownership and -once we've validated it- we’ll get you a Steam key.

Bastables

That's the kind of stuff that bothers me about this remaster. It's one thing to up res a game, it's another to re texture things. But when you start putting things in, that weren't there before, it bothers me a bit.

I'm sure you would have been equally unnerved when they added more fog and water affects in the original PC ports (DirectX10 master race) then and stick to the definitive Xbox360 version.

Being snarky I know and am sorry but changes will literally happens in remasters, especially when they're literally replacing things like textures and adding geometry.

But the thing is if you've already got the PC versions you might as well try the remasters and see how you go.

hlhbk

So according to others in this thread they took artistic liberties with the plasmids, but couldn't get something basic like water right in a game located under water. Really? That's far from "getting it right".

SlashX

I'm in the same boat. I bought it from a site that used to be linked to ign somehow. Thats about all I remember. I bought Bioshock and Company of Heroes through them. CoH is in my Library but Bioshock isnt and now I can't figure out how to find this site.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I'm in the same boat. I bought it from a site that used to be linked to ign somehow. Thats about all I remember. I bought Bioshock and Company of Heroes through them. CoH is in my Library but Bioshock isnt and now I can't figure out how to find this site.

That'd be Direct2Drive.

Bastables

So according to others in this thread they took artistic liberties with the plasmids, but couldn't get something basic like water right in a game located under water. Really? That's far from "getting it right".

Water seems fine to me, the picture you're having issues with seem to be the tail plane in the tunnel comparing PC directx 10 additional water affects not present in the Xbox360/ps3/Directx9 versions,

Interestingly they do have the fog that was not present in the PS3/Xbox360, and a lot more aquatic life swimming/jellyfishing around outside of the windows.

So yes on balance they have gotten more things right than wrong allowing me to enjoy the remasters enough that I might pay for a PS4 disk version.

Charcoal

Does anyone have a guide on downsampling? I created a custom 4K resolution, but I'd like to push my computer a but and see what it can do.

justjim89

Are there no advanced graphics options in the Steam version? All I see are resolution, v-sync, and anti-aliasing. I figured a modern-day remaster would have more tweakable stuff.

Oreoleo

Does anyone have a guide on downsampling? I created a custom 4K resolution, but I'd like to push my computer a but and see what it can do.

If you have an Nvidia GPU capable of DSR it's as simple as turning it on in the control panel.

Otherwise:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=509076

If you have AMD... maybe someone else can chime in.
Edit: From the above link: AMD version! http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=472941

Can anyone confirm if the remasters allow simultaneous controller + kbm inputs?

I'd be interested to know if Bio2 supports game pad at all. IIRC the original Bioshock 2 on PC had no game pad support whatsoever. Maybe it got patched in after the fact.

I'll know in a minute. Gonna try and play this some with my Steam controller since the damn mouse isn't fixed. If the acceleration even feels bad in trackball mode (which I normally use acceleration on in other games) then I give up on these games.

The "Expanded FOV" better be Expanded by a good 20 degrees, too. I was waiting to play these games' remasters since they've been sitting in my Steam library for 9 months. But the fucked up mouse and tunnel vision that I couldn't fix even using the config files for some reason told me to wait for the "remastered" version. What a big disappointment.

I hope I can finally enjoy these games, however.

Bastables

It's idiosyncratic, probably reflecting the fact that the earlier Bioshocks were console first and pc as a after thought of the late 2010's development era.

You have to select controller to on or off, if it's on the games will accept keyboard commands but not mouse and all prompts for me are xbox360 ones. If you switch use controller off it allows you to use mouse and keyboard with keyboard mouse prompts.
So no you can't fluidly use controller + kbm.

edit, both pc versions of 1 and 2 allow Controller/keyboard or mouse and keyboard.

BasilZero

Just got the new enteries on my steam library! Awesome!

Though I was in the middle of a playthrough with the OG Bioshock 2 lol

It's idiosyncratic, probably reflecting the fact that the earlier Bioshocks were console first and pc as a after thought of the late 2010's development era.
Well, that's a shame. Infinite played nicely with the Steam Controller, so I was kind of hoping they'd go the extra mile and fix that with the other two games for consistency. I was thinking of replaying through 1 specifically if they had removed that restriction, but I'm probably going to wait a bit now.

joms5

I'm sure you would have been equally unnerved when they added more fog and water affects in the original PC ports (DirectX10 master race) then and stick to the definitive Xbox360 version.

Being snarky I know and am sorry but changes will literally happens in remasters, especially when they're literally replacing things like textures and adding geometry.

But the thing is if you've already got the PC versions you might as well try the remasters and see how you go.

Don't mind the snark at all. haha

But those "e"ffects you mentioned, probably would have been in the 360 version if the consoles were more capable of rendering such effects. Not my fault the 360 was weak. :p

But when they add things that weren't in the original (ala the Star Wars movies) that's when I start asking myself... is this necessary? It can dramatically change the way the game feels.

Great example of this is the opening scene where you're heading down to Rapture. The increased seaweed and plant life looks amazing (could do with fewer Jellyfish, I think they went a bit overboard with that) more dense and makes you believe that you really are on the sea floor. Having said that, there's a beauty to the sparseness of the original. It looks quiet and unhabitable. As if industry had ruined a once clean and vibrant ecosystem. Have a look.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YasVqns7AVg#t=57

I am going to have a look at this for myself since it is free. Make up my mind when I see it in motion. It's always nice to have the original copy too. Unlike fucking Star Wars.

Josh5890

I should really try to actually play more than two hours of Bioshock. Every time I start a playthrough I never get too far.

kuYuri

Anyone get weird flickering shadows? It started happening for me at the beginning when the first female splicer that kills Johnny starts tearing your bathysphere apart, then again when you step into the same room she's in as the security camera blinds her.

I might try to record a video of it to explain what I'm talking about.

Besides that, it runs great, 200+fps on my rig, heh.

DjRalford

Anyone get weird flickering shadows? It started happening for me at the beginning when the first female splicer that kills Johnny starts tearing your bathysphere apart, then again when you step into the same room she's in as the security camera blinds her.

I might try to record a video of it to explain what I'm talking about.

Besides that, it runs great, 200+fps on my rig, heh.

VSync should get rid of the flickering.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
Missing the DX10 effects sucks. I'm downloading it now but can anyone comment on the water when you walk through it? The DX10 version deformed nicely behind you as you walked through it leaving a trail. Always impressed me. I might play through Minerva's Den later, don't have time to play through everything again right now.

Peterthumpa

Missing the DX10 effects sucks. I'm downloading it now but can anyone comment on the water when you walk through it? The DX10 version deformed nicely behind you as you walked through it leaving a trail. Always impressed me. I might play through Minerva's Den later, don't have time to play through everything again right now.

This effect is still present and it actually looks better IMO.

Bastables

Don't mind the snark at all. haha

But those "e"ffects you mentioned, probably would have been in the 360 version if the consoles were more capable of rendering such effects. Not my fault the 360 was weak. :p

But when they add things that weren't in the original (ala the Star Wars movies) that's when I start asking myself... is this necessary? It can dramatically change the way the game feels.

Great example of this is the opening scene where you're heading down to Rapture. The increased seaweed and plant life looks amazing (could do with fewer Jellyfish, I think they went a bit overboard with that) more dense and makes you believe that you really are on the sea floor. Having said that, there's a beauty to the sparseness of the original. It looks quiet and unhabitable. As if industry had ruined a once clean and vibrant ecosystem. Have a look.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YasVqns7AVg#t=57

I am going to have a look at this for myself since it is free. Make up my mind when I see it in motion. It's always nice to have the original copy too. Unlike fucking Star Wars.
One could make the argument that all the increased sea life and plant life is actually reclaiming a city in it's death throes
a real ozymandias look and despair moment.
banteay_kdei.jpg

But I do have sympathy with Star Wars pissing in the pool for remasters, I just don't feel the Bioshock ones actually changes story elements like "han shot first", or Luke now screams likes he's scared when he obviously chose suicide as opposed to accepting vader as papa. yeah bugger lucus.

But give the remasters a try you might like it like i did or you might not, and you still have the OG's.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Found this thread on Reddit that claims to fix the mouse acceleration.

That mouse is annoying as fuck and I remember spending about an hour doing all the necessary tweaks to sensitivity and whatnot to the old Bioshock.

I found out its actually the same exact files and all you have to do is make a few tweaks in the exact same ways I had to do originally.

Step 1: Go to the search bar of your computer (on windows 10 its the cortanta 'ask me anything' prompt in the lower left of windows.

Step 2: Search %appdata% and hit enter and a folder should open up. Find 'BioshockHD' and click on it

Step 3: open up the user.ini file with notepad

Step 4: Under the [Default] section look for

W=MoveForward

delete that line and replace with the following

W=MoveForward | set Engine.PlayerInput MouseAccelThreshold 0.0 | set Engine.PlayerInput MouseSmoothingMode 0

I believe that is all you have to do. Let me know if it works. Basically it makes it so whenever you press W it will turn mouse acceleration off. You will need to hit it every time a level loads but that shouldn't be a problem since it is bound to W and you will need to hit it anyway to get out of the bathysphere
Thanks Guys! Hope it Helps

- There's mouse acceleration and smoothing that you can't disable. There were some tricks to do it in the original, but none of them worked perfectly.
- Mouse sensitivity is way too high, even at the lowest value (1).
- When you set the sensitivity to 1, menus and things like hacks become unusuable because the mouse moves slow, skips in random directions and doesn't allow you to click on menu items.
- There's a lot of tearing and enabling vsync adds tons of input lag (more than it usually does).
- If you have a controller plugged in, you get Xbox prompts even if you don't ever touch a single button.
Someone on Steam forum reports that the Bio2 audio/surround audio mix is still a goddamn disaster. Can anyone confirm?
Goddammit. Fuck you 2K.

terrible

Banned
finally got it working, full screen, theres no 21:9 support, so in stretched 16:9 with no custom FOV slider it looks like $hit
No way to turn off mouse acceleration, like cmon, its 2016

Haha no way, they didn't even bother fixing that in the remaster? That junk made it unplayable in the original version, especially when trying to hack. Non of the fixes worked for me.

Guess I'll use a controller if I play it again.

edit: assuming controller support is even in of course.

Goddammit. Fuck you 2K.

This is Arkham Knight levels of bad.

Holy hyperbole, Batman.

No, no it's not. Not even close. I don't have any screen tearing issues at all, and turning on VSync added no additional input lag, so I can confirm those issues are not widespread. It's smooth and responsive on my rig and looks great in general besides some odd water clipping issues when you pass under waterfalls.

Pull yourselves together, seriously...

KissVibes

Banned
Yo, the sound mix in both of the remasters is fucking garbage. I can hear splicers from rooms and rooms over. I heard the fucking doctor and the music cue 15mins before I even got to him.

Bioshock 2 is just as bad.

dlauv

Bio 1 plays and looks just fine. Probably a little better overall, at least in terms of gamepad control.

The stereo sound thing is hilarious tho.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Nah, thanks for the free remasters 2K, but I'll stick with the original versions cuz they look better to me, even with lower texture quality in some cases, whereas remasters look way too clean and flat even.

P.S. Can I do 4K in original versions btw?

Top Bottom