• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BioWare doing “anything and everything” to keep players logging in to SW:TOR

Pollux

Dragon Age II was a commercial failure and jeopardized the future of the franchise. It sold less than DA:O, they cancelled the expansion which was already announced and they cancelled the ultimate edition (which DA:O had btw) because "retailers had no interest".

Mass Effect 3 pissed a lot of people by its ending and this is at least half of its audience. 54% of players imported their saves from ME1 in the first three days after ME2 release and the game had slightly higher completion rates. That means that all these people have completed ME2, imported their saves in ME3 and most likely completed it. According to various surveys more than 80% are dissapointed in ME3 ending. The game also had face import bug for a month. More than 83% of people made custom Shepard. So there are a lot of pissed customers. And this might affect future sales.
Well I'm not buying a Bioware game at launch again. And damn this should have been KOTOR 3. I'm still so mad that we will never get another KOTOR as things stand right now.

clo1_2000

Banned
The funny thing is I'm still having fun. I have 6 toons I'm playing: two 50s, two in their 30s and and two in their 20s. This is the first MMO where I want to play every class and I have a severe case of altitis that I've never had before. One thing that does need to happen stat is world merges. They are inevitable when you open up so many for launch.

jkanownik

Oh boy this thread again.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/04/19/analyst-says-swtor-subs-peaked-at-1-7-million-now-declining/

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/107477-Star-Wars-The-Old-Republic-Profitable-With-500-000-Subs

The only problem is that they launched too many severs (because people were demanding them). They just need to merge severs and everything will be fine.

If everything is fine with SWTOR, then I wonder what has driven EA stock down over 40% from $25.20 on 11/7/11 to $14.59 today.

http://www.google.com/finance?chdnp...484&chls=IntervalBasedLine&q=NASDAQ:EA&ntsp=0

BioWare claim that subscriber numbers haven’t dropped, but concurrent users at peak times have. This, Erickson says, is the reason why players are noticing a lot of ‘light’ server populations – and also why mergers are on the cards, but not a priority.

I love this shit. They will continue to discuss it for the next 12 months, instead of merging Light servers into Medium ones at least. Makes it appear like fucking huge undertaking.

UrbanRats

I've heard only bad things about this game, so i'm not surprised, tbh.

Also, lol at the related article at the bottom of the page:
idrb8kz9N7sPn.jpg

LuchaShaq

Banned
If it had a non mmo mode where I could pay once and just get story content I'd play.

Like a Kotr game.

Also please stop sending me PLAY FREEE THIS WEEKEND emails every weekend when I never signed up for shit thannnks.

Draxal

Should have just made KOTOR3, you know, what people actually wanted.

Honestly, I will disagree with you here. The Imperial Agent story in TOR is better than anything that they could probably of come up with in KOTOR 3, as in KOTOR you're limited by the scope to just playing a Jedi.

Effect

Should have just made KOTOR3, you know, what people actually wanted.

Not sure how true it is since I haven't played the class but I believe it's been said that is what the Jedi Knight storyline essentially is. However I do feel they should have just made KOTOR 3 as well. A MMO wasn't needed. The way DLC is handled now they could have easily done DLC that expanded the story by letting you play characters that were based on these other classes in the game in stories that ran parallel to the main story. If the core story was good enough the extra ones would have sold.

Orayn

Honestly, I will disagree with you here. The Imperial Agent story in TOR is better than anything that they could probably of come up with in KOTOR 3, as in KOTOR you're limited by the scope to just playing a Jedi.

Wouldn't it be great if TOR wound up like Dark Millennium Online, then?

I would have preferred KOTOR 3 but im actually enjoying TOR a lot. I resubbed a month after trying the free week for 1.2 to level a new character with my roommate.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I love this shit. They will continue to discuss it for the next 12 months, instead of merging Light servers into Medium ones at least. Makes it appear like fucking huge undertaking.

People are already proclaiming the game is dead. Merging servers causes even worse over-reactions. MMO players are just silly.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
I did for a month.

I've come to terms with the fact that the only MMO's I like are fantasy based ones. Even then, I probably won't play them for more than a couple of months.

I lasted about a week. I played WoW for about 5-ish years, and this game felt too much like WoW. I'm not huge on Sci-fi either, but even Tera and now Guild Wars 2 were looking pretty bland to me. Getting into the Tera Beta just reminded me that aside from the pretty graphics and more interesting combat, all I ever do in MMOs is wander around picking up shit and stabbing 8 or 10 of this or that.

I don't think I have the patience for MMOs anymore, to be honest. I can sit around and play DotA 2 for the 500-something hours I have logged onto it and find nothing to be bored about because everything in it is dynamic. Nothing is static. This is something I'm starting to see a lot more of with games as I get older and more upset about dumb things. I need constant and interesting interaction with a game or I lose the will to continue.

Draxal

Wouldn't it be great if TOR wound up like Dark Millennium Online, then?

Nope, wouldn't justify the budget put into the game this way. TOR's problem's is that the endgame is just like 2008 wow. And I'll be frank with you, KOTOR's 1/2 combat sucked, and while TOR's combat is standard mmo fare, KOTOR 3 would be hurt gameplay wise compared to the Mass Effect series as gunplay > swordplay gameplay wise.

Patryn

I'll freely admit that I had a lot of fun with this game for a month. But I haven't logged on since January, and my backlog is way too large to bother logging back in.

Guess MMOs just aren't for me.

Meier

Make it $10 a month and I'd probably re-subscribe. Why don't companies understand that the perceived effect of $15 versus $10 is absolutely substantial?

So it's bad that devs want players to log into their game now?

Isn't this what MMO devs are supposed to be doing?

It's bioware though, and anything that involves bioware gets front page on gaf.

I like the direction they're going, focusing more on key features that should have made launch than just more content. If they were looking to take some of WoW's playerbase (which it looks like they were), they should have ensured that every major feature that was present in WoW is present in SWTOR. (LFG system, Ranked Warzones...).

Effect

Nope, wouldn't justify the budget put into the game this way. TOR's problem's is that the endgame is just like 2008 wow. And I'll be frank with you, KOTOR's 1/2 combat sucked, and while TOR's combat is standard mmo fare, KOTOR 3 would be hurt gameplay wise compared to the Mass Effect series as gunplay > swordplay gameplay wise.

Except that people would know what to expect. KOTOR is an RPG series not a Action RPG or an action series. It's closer to Neverwinter Nights. Didn't the first two games use the same engine as NWN? You know going into it you are dealing with Jedi and force powers. I doubt anyone would hold it's combat system against it going into it considering what the past games were like. If anything a new game would have been closer to Dragon Age Origins I think.

Hari Seldon

WTF? Welcome to MMOs!

Welcome to overdone WoW-clones, which is the entire problem with this game. The only thing interesting about this game is the unique story aspects of it, and that can be seen and finished in 1 month or maybe 2 months tops.

No need for F2P at all, since there is no need to even play this as an MMO. You have done the MMO parts of this game before so there is no need to do it again.

Welcome to overdone WoW-clones, which is the entire problem with this game. The only thing interesting about this game is the unique story aspects of it, and that can be seen and finished in 1 month or maybe 2 months tops.

No need for F2P at all, since there is no need to even play this as an MMO. You have done the MMO parts of this game before so there is no need to do it again.

Yet other people feel the need to play it and are playing MMO "clones" in the millions.

They apparently don't feel the same.

Vinci

Danish
I think people are reading too much doom into this. I personally feel the focus Bioware brought to the MMO genre with this game is poorly devised, but I'm not prepared to call it dead this fast - and certainly not based on this article.

Z3M0G

This game doesn't even need to be F2P. You can max a character in a month and never pay a subscription. You have seen all that is worth seeing and spent a lot more hours than any normal single player game doing it.

This would be my plan if I ever play it.

Will probably be F2P before I got around to that, though...

Omega

Banned
Dragon Age II was a commercial failure and jeopardized the future of the franchise. It sold less than DA:O, they cancelled the expansion which was already announced and they cancelled the ultimate edition (which DA:O had btw) because "retailers had no interest".

Mass Effect 3 pissed a lot of people by its ending and this is at least half of its audience. 54% of players imported their saves from ME1 in the first three days after ME2 release and the game had slightly higher completion rates. That means that all these people have completed ME2, imported their saves in ME3 and most likely completed it. According to various surveys more than 80% are dissapointed in ME3 ending. The game also had face import bug for a month. More than 83% of people made custom Shepard. So there are a lot of pissed customers. And this might affect future sales.

Ha, is that Dragon Age thing true? That's crazy.

Mass Effect 2 disappointed me but 3 just pushed me over the edge. I wouldn't even play a BioWare game if they paid me too.

Kinyou

I wonder if they unbanned the guy who made the "I'm 13 years old and what is this" joke

The facebug thing is really unforgivable. It's a feature that almost all of their loyal customers were going to use; it should have been tested at least once before shipping.

Also I kind of hated how ME3 implemented fetch quests...

Normal quest vs Bioware quest

Gnub

Not having a looking for group tool killed it for me. People are ultra selective and low server population hurts anyone looking to spend time in flashpoints.

Ha, is that Dragon Age thing true? That's crazy.

Mass Effect 2 disappointed me but 3 just pushed me over the edge. I wouldn't even play a BioWare game if they paid me too.

I dont think they lost money on DA2 but it didnt do as well as the first.

I saw a pile of them at my walmart for 10 dollars and I still didnt bite. Dont know why really. I played the demo after being super excited for the game and never thought of it again.

LogicStep

This game doesn't even need to be F2P. You can max a character in a month and never pay a subscription. You have seen all that is worth seeing and spent a lot more hours than any normal single player game doing it.
Does each class have their own storyline that is worth playing through? Because then it would last a few more months if played like that.

Moaradin

Does each class have their own storyline that is worth playing through? Because then it would last a few more months if played like that.

Quite a few are really good, Imperial Agent in particular. You haven't experienced the best of SWTOR unless you played IA.

Their free weekend was enough to know that it was just more of the same, but prettier.

Not for me. I think I'm done with the Wow model of games, until Titan comes out.

Then we'll see.

Interfectum

The facebug thing is really unforgivable. It's a feature that almost all of their loyal customers were going to use; it should have been tested at least once before shipping.

I agree. Absolutely crazy they didn't test this before shipping it out.

Top Bottom