• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BioWare doing “anything and everything” to keep players logging in to SW:TOR

Tacitus_

Does each class have their own storyline that is worth playing through? Because then it would last a few more months if played like that.

The class storylines are worth playing through, but you have to bear either a shitload of pvp or repetitive and boring filler quests to be able to complete them.
I wanted to finish my sith warrior, but shelved him after being monumentally bored with the leveling (I already had 2 chars at 50) and proceeded to youtube the class quests.

Can't believe what's happing to Bioware. Are there any employees left from the glorious Baldur's Gate days except the founders who seem to have sticked to BW up this day? Or is it basically an entirely different team?

Moaradin

Can't believe what's happing to Bioware. Are there any employees left from the glorious Baldur's Gate days except the founders who seem to have sticked to BW up this day? Or is it basically an entirely different team?

The lead designer of Baldur's Gate is the lead designer for SW:TOR.

Scirrocco

Wouldn't it be great if TOR wound up like Dark Millennium Online, then?

A failed game attempting to recoup a few dollars by scraping together a poorly made game using already created assets that will still probably never see the light of day?

Patryn

Ha, is that Dragon Age thing true? That's crazy.

Everything except that the Expansion was announced. It wasn't. They announced it and announced that it was cancelled in the same forum post.

But it's definitely true that they didn't do an Ultimate Edition because retailers had no interest in one.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap

I believe this picture sums the current Bioware pretty nicely. Don't click if you haven't seen Tali's face from ME3 yet. Here it is in-game.

Everything except that the Expansion was announced. It wasn't. They announced it and announced that it was cancelled in the same forum post.

But it's definitely true that they didn't do an Ultimate Edition because retailers had no interest in one.

they had t-shirts a few months before that. How is that not an announcement?

KorrZ

You'd think devs would learn by now that if your end game content is lacking your game is going to die off. You can have the best leveling experience ever, but if you have only one raid no one is going to stick around. If I was making an MMO I'd design a fuckton of endgame content before anything else.

Derrick01

Banned
The lead designer of Baldur's Gate is the lead designer for SW:TOR.

That's just...sad.

Anyway Bioware deserves this game tanking. I don't like that they can get away with making a blatant ripoff but not even make it as good as what they're ripping. Sterile copycats shouldn't be allowed to prosper in this industry.

Riggs

Banned
Dragon Age II was a commercial failure and jeopardized the future of the franchise. It sold less than DA:O, they cancelled the expansion which was already announced and they cancelled the ultimate edition (which DA:O had btw) because "retailers had no interest".

Mass Effect 3 pissed a lot of people by its ending and this is at least half of its audience. 54% of players imported their saves from ME1 in the first three days after ME2 release and the game had slightly higher completion rates. That means that all these people have completed ME2, imported their saves in ME3 and most likely completed it. According to various surveys more than 80% are dissapointed in ME3 ending. The game also had face import bug for a month. More than 83% of people made custom Shepard. So there are a lot of pissed customers. And this might affect future sales.
Thank you, exactly what I would of said.

Emitan

Double the XP rate or make it so you can hit 50 and progress naturally with just class story quests. After investing 80 hours into one character and I was only halfway done with my story, I quit. It was just a grind.

Patryn

The one thing I wanted was a different Questgiver marker for Heroic quests. That way I could ignore them, and just do the single-player stuff and not have my quest log get full of crap I wasn't going to do.

Just put a 2 or 4 in the middle of the triangle or something.

Make simplified, fast-consumed subsciption-based MMO.

Have little to do at endgame.

Repeat.

mmo devs need to realize that unless you are incredibly different from WOW and can carve out your own niche

eve for example

then you shouldn't bother

I said it once and I'll say it again.

"In the world of MMOs, there won't be WoW after WoW."

I know that, yall know that, but do investors know that?

Nope, wouldn't justify the budget put into the game this way. TOR's problem's is that the endgame is just like 2008 wow. And I'll be frank with you, KOTOR's 1/2 combat sucked, and while TOR's combat is standard mmo fare, KOTOR 3 would be hurt gameplay wise compared to the Mass Effect series as gunplay > swordplay gameplay wise.

If only.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Double the XP rate or make it so you can hit 50 and progress naturally with just class story quests. After investing 80 hours into one character and I was only halfway done with my story, I quit. It was just a grind.

This. Hitting the last few levels were a pain in the ass. I completed my storyline before I maxed out my character, and I'm usually the type that likes to do main quests when I'm at or above the suggested level.

I would've never guessed. It's not like there's daily 'deal' notifications for SWTOR on Origin, or like they've been trying extra hard to get me to return via emails... oh wait.

Honestly one of the worst mistakes they did with this game was with the amount of servers they made available.

There were far too many
In my opinion, the problem wasn't that there were "too many servers", the problem was that each server holds too few people. The maximum amount I ever saw on a planet at any given time was around 120 or so, and that was a one-time thing. The server population max I witnessed in the first month was pathetic, and hardly "massively multiplayer" at all. I don't know if they've changed the population limit since the first month but it was certainly one of the reasons I dropped the game. I hate overworld instances, and I see no reason for them outside of games when there's rare and random monsters in the overworld (and from what I saw of SWTOR, those kinds of monsters/bosses weren't much of a factor since they respawned fairly quickly).

My main reasons to play TOR ended as soon as my companions stopped developing as characters (they turn into slavebots once their companion stories are finished) and when my class story was finished. For me, the biggest draw to SWTOR as an MMO has a definitive end, and that's the fatal flaw.

I liked endgame PvP for a bit until that Ilum 'revamp' debacle rocketed everyone on the planet with an aoe attack into Valor Rank 60. SWTOR actually got the feeling of being a tank in PvP right, so I'll give the game props for that. The same three warzones got boring after a while though, and I just stopped having the desire to log in.

Endgame PvE felt like a very, very buggy and aged WoW for me. It didn't hold my interest at all.

Effect

You'd think devs would learn by now that if your end game content is lacking your game is going to die off. You can have the best leveling experience ever, but if you have only one raid no one is going to stick around. If I was making an MMO I'd design a fuckton of endgame content before anything else.

That's the thing though. TOR's leveling experience isn't even that good to begin with.

Personally I have about 10 days left in my sub and I'm not even sure if I want to finish that up.

I really liked it...for a month, maybe a month and a half. I enjoyed leveling a Jedi guardian to 50, but the game is honestly a SW themed clone of World of Warcraft.

I will not ever pay a monthly subscription to play an MMO again. It's not happening. Diablo 3 is only a few weeks away, so that's my next game of choice.

Izayoi

Banned
I paid for an alpha test and got burned, and I'm sure many ended up feeling the same way. Downing Nightmare modes and not getting your loot week after week (after sleeping through boring fight mechanics and generally awful instance design), constantly having fights bug out on you, and some of the worst balanced faction vs faction PvP that I've ever had the displeasure of participating in... not to mention quite possibly the worst customer service of all time.

The game definitely could've used at least another four or five months in beta, if not more. Their entire customer service department needs to be fired and they need to start working on actually keeping subscribers rather than desperately throwing free things at previous subs in a futile effort to get them to return.

Speeding up the leveling process is not really going to help hold subscriptions. People will just quit faster as they blaze through all the content.

Emitan

Speeding up the leveling process is not really going to help hold subscriptions. People will just quit faster as they blaze through all the content.

I'd attempt to level up every class to 50 if it wouldn't take years of my life to do. Right now its too grindy and now I have 0 characters at 50. It would at least help retain people like me who are casual and play for the story.

Cipherr

Game over?

Selective quoting?

A little, but I have played MMO's enough to know that freaking server merges are the bloody sign of the apocalypse. I have no doubt the game is NOT going to die, but it does sound a lot like they are going to have a rough time keeping the numbers stagnate, let alone growing them.

Its funny though, gamers tastes have changed, before WoW came along this amount of time without any major patches wouldn't have really been considered a horrible drought. But these days for some reason we now expect major major content to be spit out at an enormous pace. Its not feasible, its never been feasible, and with fully voiced content itll never be feasible.

Emitan

I honestly don't get why this never happened. The higher ups at Bioware must be idiots. The mythos behind the Star Wars universe is fascinating. They should be churning out sequel after sequel.

Because Obsidian showed them how a Star Wars RPG should be done and Bioware was like "that's too hard lets make an MMO with lower writing expectations instead!"

I honestly don't get why this never happened. The higher ups at Bioware must be idiots. The mythos behind the Star Wars universe is fascinating. They should be churning out sequel after sequel.

Because it has nothing to do with Bioware. It's Lucasarts fault we never got a KOTOR3.

Because Obsidian showed them how a Star Wars RPG should be done and Bioware was like "that's too hard lets make an MMO with lower writing expectations instead!"

Lucasarts determines who would make KOTOR3, and they just never decided to make anymore. Bioware and Obsidian had no say in making the games. Bioware was already planning a MMO when Lucasarts came to them and asked for them to make a new Star Wars MMO. They in turn decided to set this new project in the KOTOR setting.

Draxal

I'd attempt to level up every class to 50 if it wouldn't take years of my life to do. Right now its too grindy and now I have 0 characters at 50. It would at least help retain people like me who are casual and play for the story.

Have you ever played an mmorpg before? Old Republic's grind is pretty much on the forgiving side.

Cipherr

I don't exactly remember a huge wealth of content in WoW this far into release other than dying a million times in Molten Core with 39 other people.

It wasnt from what I can remember. A lot of folks act like it was, but WoW wasnt streaming a constant flow of content in the beginning either. It was more on pace with other MMO's of the time like DAOC EQ and the like. Long patches of time would go by before major major content was added. I think the saddest part about TOR though was that it almost didnt feel MMO esque to me. WoW is guilty of this a bit too. Where is the grouping? I had to sort of force it, chatting up people and whatnot and creating a party. OTOH, thats one of the games strong points. Even though I felt like I was playing a single player game, that single player game was pretty engrossing.

A little, but I have played MMO's enough to know that freaking server merges are the bloody sign of the apocalypse. I have no doubt the game is NOT going to die, but it does sound a lot like they are going to have a rough time keeping the numbers stagnate, let alone growing them.

Its funny though, gamers tastes have changed, before WoW came along this amount of time without any major patches wouldn't have really been considered a horrible drought. But these days for some reason we now expect major major content to be spit out at an enormous pace. Its not feasible, its never been feasible, and with fully voiced content itll never be feasible.

And its because of what I mentioned; the two problems exascerbate each other.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
It's a ghost town right now because end game's pretty weak.

It's a ghost town at low levels, too.

At least that was my experience during the free weekend. You'll see more other players within ten minutes of logging into LOTRO or Star Trek Online than you will in two hours of playing TOR.

After playing since launch, I am still enjoying it and log in on nearly a daily basis, have 3 level 50's etc etc. i think the biggest problem is they just played it too safe in too many areas. I'm not sure if it was due to inexperience, or due to voice acting consuming so much of the development, but so many areas are just so under developed.

Mechanics like the skill trees and character progression, which are about as standard as they come. Space combat that does not look like it will be fleshed out any time soon, no housing, nothing to really do outside combat etc etc.

Like I said, I still enjoy this game, but if GW2 turns out to be how I am expecting, I do not see myself continuing on in SWTOR after it launches unless they flesh out areas of the game outside of raiding and warzones.

Effect

Perhaps not but it could help if only for a little while. The big problem with doing alts to see the class story is having to repeat a majority of the quest again. Visit the same planets and npcs again with just a change in the dialogue. It's boring the first time around. Why would people want to do it a second time or a third time? I guess some have done it but I honestly don't see how or why without it driving them crazy. If you could just focus on the class story that would get people playing a bit longer if only to see how everything plays out if they desire. Instead of doing one and just call it a day or not even finishing the one because the non-class stories are to boring. You can't skip them either unless you want to be underleveled.

This is what I have issue with when it comes to the leveling experience. There is a solo focus to it because of the story but you soon get thrown against Strong and Elite styled enemies. This is outside of heroics and flashbpoints. Usually grouped together outside of ending missions situations. Why? To slow you down is the only thing I can think of. There are already a good number of missions you have to do that slows down the leveling process. Why make people struggle even more? The whole point of a solo focus is to bypass the frustration of going up against enemies that require a partner or group. So you can play at your own pace. The trade off is a low reward. To get better items you do group based content. The two shouldn't mix.

All this does is help frustrate some players and make them quit sooner rather then later if the process becomes to much like work. Forcing a "challenge" wrongly.

TOR is simply way too similar to WoW for me to keep playing like others have mentioned. As a longtime WoW player it felt more like some kind mod or reskin of WoW to make it take place in the Starwars universe rather than a completely new game. I wouldn't want to invest the time let alone the money into something like that.

Top Bottom