• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BioWare doing “anything and everything” to keep players logging in to SW:TOR

Grymm

Banned
When I play games designed around F2P all I see is the game design centered around pushing the players to spend money. The best F2P games are the ones that were once P2P and they just added on a F2P system as a kind of demo for getting people to pay a monthly fee. I'd much rather play a game that is focused on being an actual good game to keep me playing, rather than a game focused on getting me to spend money.

So what category does TOR, a bad game that's pay to play, fall into?

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
They could have made 3 real KOTOR sequels with the money spent on this piece of crap. They probably should have.

Whenever I see TOR it always feels like a chore, almost a fucking job

People wanna relax and fuck around or go do raids, get "PHAT LOOT"

I still haven't heard/seen what the end-game is in TOR

It's typical end game, raid, dungeons or PvP. There's some space combat and getting affection up with your companions but the bulk is your standard fare.

They brought this on themselves by releasing an unfinished game that couldn't compete with the feature set of a game from 2004.

It would be like Motorola releasing the original Razr in 2012 and asking people to give it a few years to bring it up to par with the Galaxy S II because Samsung has had time to add crazy things like a touch screen.

It's not a perfect example but I think it gets the message across: You have to release a product that is better than your competitor's product. You can make all the excuses you like for lack of <x> or <y>, but at the end of the day you can't beat the leader by doing less than they do.

Walshicus

They could have made 3 real KOTOR sequels with the money spent on this piece of crap. They probably should have.

I'm still enjoying it. Subbed since English launch (and only lvl 42 on one character).

Probably would have prefered a KotOR single player trilogy though.

That's a pretty crappy gaurantee when even in the thread about the offer gaf members were taking up the offer who no longer were subbed to the game just because it was a good deal. They obviously were not in for 6 months. Some players of course would be the hardcore staying, but to say that all 1.2 million who took part in the offer were going to still be playing is silly when they game has been showing decilne for a while now.
You think it was a good deal for people to resub and get it? Free diablo 3 is only worth 4 months of game time. You proved my point. They and everyone who got it wanted beta access and are the people guaranteed to return each expansion. They also take breaks. Some did it already and others would have sometime after October 2011 if they weren't under commitment.

Should have just made KOTOR3, you know, what people actually wanted.

It's not about what fans want, it's about what EA wants. They'll do damage control on ME and DA, but at the end of the day, EA is still their puppet master.

I've got zero interest in Bioware while EA is cracking the whip. I don't feel like playing RPG's that are directly tied to forced on facebook games, smartphone games, or tacked on multiplayer and prevent you from getting everything out of the game (in ME's case, the endings) if you don't partake.

Lothars

It's not about what fans want, it's about what EA wants. They'll do damage control on ME and DA, but at the end of the day, EA is still their puppet master.

I've got zero interest in Bioware while EA is cracking the whip. I don't feel like playing RPG's that are directly tied to forced on facebook games, smartphone games, or tacked on multiplayer and prevent you from getting everything out of the game (in ME's case, the endings) if you don't partake.
It's not just EA thought it's Lucasarts as well calling the shots, Bioware didn't have a choice to make it a singleplayer game if they wanted to, Lucasarts wanted it an MMO so that's why it is. Also for ME you didn't have to play multiplayer to get the best ending.

EA has no say in making KOTOR3. Lucasarts is the one who controls that

Did that really have an effect on anything?

Having to make hours of cutscenes and each class having hours of exclusive dialogue cutscenes also all takes resources. From the problems with the game, it's obviously all their focus was on the single player like focus. As been said before the games biggest negative is that it feels like they slapped on MMO like features onto a single player game. Most of the stuff being added is obviously them trying to catch up and adding MMO elements that shoulda been at launch.

Also for ME you didn't have to play multiplayer to get the best ending.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think that's true. Your Galactic Readiness, whatever it's called, affects the outcome and certain events of the ending. If you don't partake in any of the mulitplayer (facebook, iOS game, or multiplayer), your GR is cut in half and you get shittier results.

To get the best possible outcomes you need to have over 5000+ GR and, from what I've read on GAF and other forums, is that it's impossible to do this by only playing single-player. Sure some of the events may be small, but I felt like I was cheated of getting the best outcome, having spent 80+ hours in ME1 and ME2, because I had no interest in playing any social games in a single-player focused RPG.

DTKT

It's not just EA thought it's Lucasarts as well calling the shots, Bioware didn't have a choice to make it a singleplayer game if they wanted to, Lucasarts wanted it an MMO so that's why it is. Also for ME you didn't have to play multiplayer to get the best ending.

To get the "hidden" option, you did have to play the MP or any of the iOS apps.

Patryn

Having to make hours of cutscenes and each class having hours of exclusive dialogue cutscenes also all takes resources. From the problems with the game, it's obviously all their focus was on the single player like focus. As been said before the games biggest negative is that it feels like they slapped on MMO like features onto a single player game. Most of the stuff being added is obviously them trying to catch up and adding MMO elements that shoulda been at launch.

I think you misunderstood what he was asking. We were talking about the negative word-of-mouth found on the internet around the game. Such as the TOR-tanic meme.

Cystm

You can take the quote:

BioWare doing &#8220;anything and everything&#8221; to keep players logging in to SW:TOR
And joyously interpret it as "desperation!" - or you can interpret it as a company simply trying to do it's fucking job. Should they not need to be doing anything and everything to keep subs? It kinda goes without saying, no? Unless of course you are Bioware, and are making a Star Wars MMO.

People are looking for anything and everything to demonstrate how BW are failing to produce a great game, or as it would appear in most of these threads, the greatest revolution the MMO genre has ever seen.

They are bringing in a fair amount of content each month.

Patch 1.2 Highlights said:
  • Players can now unlock a wide variety of rewards by leveling characters and reaching new Legacy levels, including buffs for your characters, unlocking additional Species choices for every class, and upgrades for your personal Starship. Build your own Legacy with the new Family Tree!
  • Lost Island, a new Flashpoint, is available for play! Having uncovered the sources of the Rakghoul plague outbreak in the Tion Hegemony, players must travel to Ord Mantell and confront Dr. Lorrick, the mad scientist who engineered this horrific biological weapon.
  • Explosive Conflict, a new Operation, is available for play! The Trandoshan mercenary warlord Kephess has seized the planet Denova, a world rich in resources valuable to the war effort. Players must assault his war camp, situated atop a mountain in densely-wooded terrain, fighting Imperial defectors and heavy war machines along the way. 8- and 16-player Story and Hard Modes are currently available for this Operation.
  • Novare Coast, a new objective-oriented Warzone on the planet Denova, has been added to the game. This Warzone, like Huttball, supports same-faction matches if there are not enough members of the opposing faction to be found.
  • New repeatable high-level daily missions are available in a new area on Corellia, the Black Hole!
  • Guilds now have access to a shared Guild Bank, accessible on the Fleets, with expandable storage.
  • A new tier of gear has been added for both PvP and PvE.
  • Players can now customize their User Interface by moving and resizing UI elements!
  • A new level 50 World Boss with a challenge for a well-coordinated 16-player Operation Group has been sighted in the Nightmare Lands region on Voss.
  • Players can now leave comment on entires in the Friends List in the Social Window.

See you in a few weeks Vaelic, for the next TOR subs thread, unless of course they aren't in the decline.

Lothars

To get the "hidden" option, you did have to play the MP or any of the iOS apps.
I never did and I got the hidden option.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think that's true. Your Galactic Readiness, whatever it's called, affects the outcome and certain events of the ending. If you don't partake in any of the mulitplayer (facebook, iOS game, or multiplayer), your GR is cut in half and you get shittier results.

To get the best possible outcomes you need to have over 5000+ GR and, from what I've read on GAF and other forums, is that it's impossible to do this by only playing single-player. Sure some of the events may be small, but I felt like I was cheated of getting the best outcome, having spent 80+ hours in ME1 and ME2, because I had no interest in playing any social games in a single-player focused RPG.
You needed 5000 if someone was killed and 4000 if he wasn't.

You can take the quote:

And joyously interpret it as "desperation!" - or you can interpret it as a company simply trying to do it's fucking job.
They gave out a free month to a lot of their user base that was still subbed. This is usually only done when you recruit an unsubbed player back because they know you are sticking around. If that doesn't say desperation...

Medalion

Banned
Gosh I hope this game goes F2P soon... I've been holding off on subbing since my last debacle with Star Trek Online

Reviews haven't intruiged me enough to take the plunge

What happened to Reven?

Eternal soul reincarnated into different bodies throughout the ages blah blah blah. You meet the new one in a dungeon I think.

I never actually played far enough to see it for myself, so what I wrote there is sort of hearsay, but gets the gist across.

inky

At this point I am glad they didn't. I probably would've bought and hated those games as well. At least an MMO I can easily ignore.

Eternal soul reincarnated into different bodies throughout the ages blah blah blah. You meet the new one in a dungeon I think.

I never actually played far enough to see it for myself, so what I wrote there is sort of hearsay, but gets the gist across.

That is not at all what happened

They gave out a free month to a lot of their user base that was still subbed. This is usually only done when you recruit an unsubbed player back because they know you are sticking around. If that doesn't say desperation...

It's a sub based game, so keeping people playing and trying to draw in subs is important. Desperate sounding? Perhaps, but they have to do whatever they can to make bank.

I take such guilty pleasure in watching the downfall of that crap MMO. Sad for BioWare but fuck EA.

I probably wouldn't feel sad for Bioware either, they've been living on their KOTOR pedigree and bragging about how epic their games are going to be for far too long, time for them to come back to earth.

Anth0ny

Lzu8P.jpg

Grymm

Banned

No that's not even the gist, it's not right at all.

To sum it up

They made him a whiny bitch, put him as the boss of a lowbie dungeon, and let you slaughter him like... a whiny bitch. I'd tell you specifically about the plot but he acts as if KOTOR 1 and 2 didn't happen and he's only around for that one fight so it's not like he really has a plot at all. They made him an emo scrub killed by lowbies. EAWare.

That about sums it up.

On subsequent visits even if you spam the spacebar and imagine he actually says something different, the outcome remains the same. EAWare shitting on fans who enjoyed KOTOR.

kamspy

Make the client a fuck ton smaller, make the game a fuck ton more optimized, and take off the monthly fee, or add a 6 month sub when you buy the game.

What happened to Reven?

He went to the edges of the galaxy, found the emperor, fought the emperor, lost, got imprisoned for hundreds of years by said emperor who prolonged his life in order to extract strength from Revan seeing he was both dark side and light side at various times. In the mean time Revan was able to influence the Emperor which is why Coruscant was not fully destroyed during its sacking.

To sum it up

They made him a whiny bitch, put him as the boss of a lowbie dungeon, and let you slaughter him like... a whiny bitch. I'd tell you specifically about the plot but he acts as if KOTOR 1 and 2 didn't happen and he's only around for that one fight so it's not like he really has a plot at all. They made him an emo scrub killed by lowbies. EAWare.

That about sums it up.

You don't actually kill him.

vaelic

Banned
You can take the quote:

And joyously interpret it as "desperation!" - or you can interpret it as a company simply trying to do it's fucking job. Should they not need to be doing anything and everything to keep subs? It kinda goes without saying, no? Unless of course you are Bioware, and are making a Star Wars MMO.

People are looking for anything and everything to demonstrate how BW are failing to produce a great game, or as it would appear in most these threads, the greatest revolution the MMO genre has ever seen.

They are bringing in a fair amount of content each month.

See you in a few weeks Vaelic, for the next TOR subs thread, unless of course they aren't in the decline.
none of that would make me resub.

and to the point of VO. Once you've heard it once, you skip right by it

To sum it up

That about sums it up.

On subsequent visits even if you spam the spacebar and imagine he actually says something different, the outcome remains the same. EAWare shitting on fans who enjoyed KOTOR.

How you got past Junior status still amazes me.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Double the XP rate or make it so you can hit 50 and progress naturally with just class story quests. After investing 80 hours into one character and I was only halfway done with my story, I quit. It was just a grind.

Didn't you make the |OT|? :O

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
The game has the same mechanics we've seen for the past 8 years in MMOs, with the addition of voice. I need new gameplay mechanics, quest system (masking the same kill and fetch quests we've seen for years with voice does not count), ideas I haven't thought of, etc., not rehashed mechanics that have been done to death.

Grymm

Banned

They'd make a killing off TOR themed keyboards with a turbo function on the spacebar.

The voice over thing, the big selling point, was such a goddam waste of resources and money. There's only 4 Sith stories and 4 Jedi stories and then the vast majority of non story quests are shared by all. So once you hear something once you just skip through it because it's a waste of time. And really aside from the story missions even on my first playthrough I spaced through most stuff because after the incessant droning you just want to get to kill shit and leveling.

An option to just show the quest info with a simple accept or reject would have been nice. But nope.

Cystm

http://i.imgur.com/Lzu8P.jpg

Quality post. You are invaluable.

Would anything?

They'd make a killing off TOR themed keyboards with a turbo function on the spacebar.

The voice over thing, the big selling point, was such a goddam waste of resources and money. There's only 4 Sith stories and 4 Jedi stories and then the vast majority of non story quests are shared by all. So once you hear something once you just skip through it because it's a waste of time. And really aside from the story missions even on my first playthrough I spaced through most stuff because after the incessant droning you just want to get to kill shit and leveling.

An option to just show the quest info with a simple accept or reject would have been nice. But nope.

Do you just skip to the end once you've watched a movie or book?

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
The game has the same mechanics we've seen for the past 8 years in MMOs, with the addition of voice. I need new gameplay mechanics, quest system (masking the same kill and fetch quests we've seen for years with voice does not count), ideas I haven't thought of, etc., not rehashed mechanics that have been done to death.
I highly encourage you to check out guild wars 2 then.

Top Bottom