• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioware responds to Mass Effect 3 ending controversy

Dresden

I fucking hope bioware gets that people don't hate the ending because it's not happy enough. That's fucking stupid. Red Dead had a way more downer of an ending, and it still managed not to suck so hard you felt robbed of your time spent with it.

They probably get it, just that admitting they do probably isn't a wise course of action if they've decided that an ending DLC is either too expensive to produce or just isn't going to happen soon enough for them to announce it.

Amen. I don't mind dying at the end of a game, but it has to be worthwhile.

But that wasn't the ending of RDR... the death was the catalyst to the ending which could easily be seen as a "happy" ending given the circumstance. An ending that mirrored the the motivations of your player through out the entire campaign no less.

Pollux

They probably get it, just that admitting they do probably isn't a wise course of action if they've decided that an ending DLC is either too expensive to produce or just isn't going to happen soon enough for them to announce it.

The PAX East panel is going to be amazing.

But that wasn't the ending of RDR... the death was the catalyst to the ending which could easily be seen as a "happy" ending given the circumstance. An ending that mirrored the the motivations of your player through out the entire campaign no less.

Ha, didn't notice someone else had already brought up RDR. I thought of the death scene as the ending, and the stuff as the son as a kind of odd epilogue. Granted, that feeling was bolstered by the fact the game glitched and didn't show the mission markers for the part as the son, a common glitch at launch I believe. Felt like it was more just a way of having a real ending, but still let you run around the open world all you want post-game.

regs

fuck that, I already sold off the game so I wouldn't be tempted to buy the DLC ;x

while I did enjoy the series, this just feels like it may be forcing people to buy their DLC

d0c_zaius

some people are really thinking someones story that they don't like is something to "fix".

I understand not liking something but come on.

I'm also wondering what people that hate on the end think of the first to endings by comparison.

smh

some people are really thinking someones story that they don't like is something to "fix".

I'm also wondering what people that hate on the end think of the first to endings by comparison.

smh

Just a sign of the DLC times, and kind of makes sense if companies keep telling us that we are buying a service. Why is adding story content like Overlord or Shadow Broker fine, but adding a fourth ending isn't?

That said, I do actually think the idea is pretty fucking weird and don't believe they'll do it. I'm not sure how much a point there would be. You can't take back what was already been done, and by the time this would come out, it will have already been done for 95% of people.

I thought one had a great ending, part two had an okay ending (terminator fight was odd, blowing the place to hell and telling TIM to go fuck himself was great).

With how the game just boots you back to your last save before the 'no turning back' handful of missions after you finish it... I find it unlikely that they would have a 'dlc ending'.

Let's be real here, the only thing we probably will get in terms of story bits is a dlc mission that ends with a vague dream sequence that kids will be picking apart for days.

Zomba13

smh

So we're not allowed to want it changed? Not allowed to be pissed off we didn't get what was promised? (As in us being told it wont be like other games where you pick ending A B or C and that being exactly what we got and that none of our choices were taken into account of given the closure we were told to expect).

And the ending to the first was great, you know it's the beginning of a trilogy and it ends on an awesome note that gets you pumped for the next and 2 ended fine, the boss was a bit silly but the last mission and what could happen and how it actually did take your actions into account was fantastic. They fell over at the last hurdle with ME3. Literally the last 10 minutes, the last 1% of the game was utter stupidity. If they just ended the game 10 minutes earlier then while also not taking our choices into account would have been a much much better ending while still being 'bittersweet'.

kurahador

i'm one of those whose okay with the ending really.
but for fuck sake bioware, show us what happens to everyone else!!!!
n how the hell does my teammate ended up on normandy!!!

GhaleonQ

That whole thing, from the appeal to authority (or, rather, "authority," since they refer to The New York Times' hack and Penny Arcade) to desperately rallying the team to plugging their downloadable content, will be my new exhibit A for "the video games industry needs help."

This is kind of my biggest problem, just simple things like that that I assume Bioware didn't actually mean to be ambiguous but are because they were handled poorly. Like
did the Mass Relays just crumble harmlessly or did they destroy all life in the systems they were in? Did all of your squad members escape on the Normandy or is it just the two who step out after Joker? And did they seriously just take one look at your body in London and hightail it back to the Normandy immediately?

Zomba13

The truth is they want you to have LOTS OF SPECULATION about it.

No really. They do.

Zomba13

They might cancel it. But I bet it might just be more awkward than a shitstorm. No way they can answer any questions regarding the ending.

Or they only take questions from plants in the audience who praise the game and ask questions about DLC and what are you guyses favouritest romances.

Zeal

Banned
So in a nutshell, he admits that an actual ending was not developed entirely based on the ideology that greed triumphs over all.

"You want closure? Then open those fuckin' wallets, bitches."

Bioware indoctrinated by a force more terrifying than the Reapers, the Flood, and the Borg all combined...

EA won the war.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Or they only take questions from plants in the audience who praise the game and ask questions about DLC and what are you guyses favouritest romances.
Shill: So, what's the next DLC going to be? I can't wait to play more Shep!
BW: It's going to be MP DLC!
Shill: I love that!
Shill2: So, tell me more about MP!
BW: Blah . . .
Shill2: Amazing!
Shill3: So, what's with that whole "Negative" (air quotes) ending thing?
BW: Some fans just wanted a little more so we're going to give them something!
Shill3: Great! Whut?
BW: Free ME2 code for all the ambassadors.
Shill3: I love it!

rozay

Banned
I guess we should've expected this, but I'm tired of this PR nonsense. Don't think I'll be purchasing any Bioware games in the future with the direction their company is (in some ways has been, but it's finally crossed my tolerance threshold) going.

6VGuR.jpg

Y'know, I'm not all that invested in the series. I loved the beginning of the first game right until the spike thing infected Shepard. So, basically when the real story began. I don't really like western RPGs as a whole either, probably because I don't have a D&D background and never liked choose your own adventure novels.

Also, I'm not a writer, designer, or marketer so my critique is probably completely worthless. But Mass Effect always struck me as a game about choices. The combat was there, but the main focus was the story and the choices a player made and their effect on the overall plot. (A Mass Effect, har har.) So, adding a single ending that is all sunshine and rainbows wouldn't fit in with my perception of the series so far, and what I think is the real problem some fans are having with it.

The Mass Effects were about choices, consequences, and rewards. There should have been a multitude of endings readily available depending on the choices you made throughout the game. That is the real consequence of choice, not a binary left or right choice at the end which ignores your character and results in the same general ending.

Plus multiple different endings would fit in perfectly with the cutscene after the credits.

You know what I just realized. If your Shepard dies in ME2, the ending is more in depth and longer then ME3's. And about 5% of players see that...

-Amon-

Considering that gamers are for the most part a bunch of whiners that showed to love to be ripped off by dlc I can't see nothing strange in an alternate ending dlc for mass effect 3.

We're asking for it.

Hero

Fuck these hack writers at Bioware. I would honestly rather not have DLC to try and 'fix' the ending and just have this be an eternal reminder to the industry for its failures.

Replicant

Bioware sure knows how to make their company appealing to their first time customers. With experience like this, I doubt I'd go back for more in the future. Now I kind of understand all of those people who felt pissed off with the company prior to this. The only worse experience I can compare them to in terms of company ignorance of their customer is Microsoft.

inky

Mass Effect 3's ending ruined the series for me. I feel like literally EVERYTHING I did was for NOTHING.

That's because it was for nothing. It's the typical cop out Deus Ex Machina ending which might be perfectly fine for some other stories (even in a game like DE: HR it didn't feel as aggressive) but when you've been building your character and story for 3 games or 100hrs.+ it just feels like a kick to the nuts because, in fact, it doesn't matter.

Edit: It's not that the endings are "sad" or present uninteresting theses, it is just the way the are put into the story, the way they override everything you have done has shit nothing to do with the game and there's no room for them to be questioned or explained, just accepted. It's an ending that doesn't belong in this game and most probably is just there by a weird combination of the writers feeling clever about solving an 'unsolvable problem' they dug themselves into, and the business side of things of having all the endings done with the exact same assets.

Orayn

I'm trying really hard to read their response as anything other than, "Our endings are awesome, we don't care about your complaints. Buy all our playsets and toys!" but I'm not having much success.

hamchan

The DX:HR endings really is a nice comparison for what Bioware did to ME3's. Why the hell did they treat the ending to their 3 game epic that they've been working on for so long with such laziness? Just some semblance of effort in the final stretch of the game and no one would be angry. Then the "buy our DLC" screen that pops up after the credits is an extra punch in the guts.

Balehead

I'm trying really hard to read their response as anything other than, "Our endings are awesome, we don't care about your complaints. Buy all our playsets and toys!" but I'm not having much success.

Isn't that just the usual PR cycle these days? It's fine now that it just released, but once they need to sell us something new they'll say they are assessing the critique they got.

Can you apologize for the laziness of the actual game and not just the endings? The little conversation content with party members. The cheapness of the side content?

I'm sorry Bioware. I always feel like you almost get there, but then you just fumble. All I will do is look back at ME as a series that had so much potential and then never meet it at all.

But I guess this is a better response then the one who you gave for Dragon Age 2. Wait? Did you give one?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Can you apologize for the laziness of the actual game and not just the endings? The little conversation content with party members. The cheapness of the side content?

I'm sorry Bioware. I always feel like you almost get there, but then you just fumble. All I will do is look back at ME as a series that had so much potential and then never meet it at all.

But I guess this is a better response then the one who you gave for Dragon Age 2. Wait? Did you give one?

The amount of dialog in ME3 is nearly the same as when you add up ME1 AND ME2. The party members talk more than ever before.

The ending was balls but they were hardly lazy elsewhere.

jediyoshi

Still can't bring myself to the acceptance phase. Their PRese is actually making it worse, the responses are as transparent as peanut butter.

And that is why I'm waiting on the GotY edition. Only an imbecile would have bought this trash day one, but congratulations Bioware, you did it.

Mass Effect has never done a Goty edition.

When it released on the Ps3. It came damn well pretty close. I got Kasumi Stolen Memory, Zaeed, OverLord and Shadow Broker all that was missing was Arrival, which wasn't that expensive thankfully.

I'm sure Bioware or more likely EA will pack in all of the planned DLC content a year or so from release to stimulate income at a decent price point. If they don't I won't ever finish the escapades of Xavi'er Shephard, and I can live with that. The only way I will be touching this drek is a GotY edition.

Haunted

The ending is done as far as I'm concerned and no amount of retconning or DLC will change that.

Pretty funny that the backlash has basically paved the way for their DLC to be accepted much more happily now.

Top Bottom