• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BioWare Shares Interesting Mass Effect 2 Statistics

Haha, I played through ME2 as a female engineer. I really liked Engineer because you basically had abilities to use vs everything and I didn't have to do a whole lot of shooting.

2San

Of course PC players play the game more than once, they can use mods instead of resource gathering. >_>

This is probably a bad time to admit I've never heard female Shep, it never occurred to me to take a girl as my main character when given the choice, I always make my rpg/custom avatars look like me.

Q8D3vil

50% is not a bad number.
i wonder how many people finished ff13.

Of course PC players play the game more than once, they can use mods instead of resource gathering. >_>
where can i find these mods ?!

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Female Engi Shepard represent.

I play male first for the romance options, goody-too-shoes. <3 Tali.

Forgot what class I played, but it was the sniper class (same one as ME1).

I play female on my second playthrough, full Renegade. This one was the shotgun class.

Always seems like the front-line warrior/soldier type is always the most popular. I always like playing sniper/support classes.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
2San said:

please enligten me what mods are available for PC version(except skins)?

Jonnyram

Engineer is awesome. What the hell.
Still, impressive that half the players completed it. Very impressive.
Kudos to Bioware for putting this info out there too.

SRG01 said:
She's also one of the best female VAs in the industry.
she's no Lillian Randolph; but seriously though saying the best female VA isn't much of a stretch because female lead roles, and good ones for that matter, are rare and far in between; while for male va's you can drop tons of names in an instant

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I find it really interesting that only 50% of people finished the game, that's probably quite high on average but still, what's the point in putting in all that effort when half the audience will never see it through. That's one of the problems with trying to tell a story via a game, people just don't have 30 hours to spare to hear it. I can only imagine how high the number is for something like GTA4 or Fallout 3.

Haly

Decado said:
Why must you play this game as a female Sheppard?
14wxb9l.jpg

Also her model is better and her voice actor is better and she has more interesting dynamics with certain members of the party (<3 Garrus)

subversus said:
pics please! :lol

I started, then realized it's not quite the same without my ME1 import. Then I remembered I never finished my second playthrough in ME1. So now I have to play ME1 first. Consequently it's on my backlog.

dwebo

Surprised so many people use a custom face. I could never get one to not look downright fugly in comparison to the default models.

The percentage of people using ME1 saves (at least on PC) would've been much lower if there wasn't that save site that opened around when ME2 came out. I didn't have my ME1 saves still lying around, but I sure as heck wasn't going to miss out on those emails!

Paragon/Neutral/Renegade Male/Female... I could maybe see six playthroughs. People doing more than that are just batshit crazy.

hamchan

Decado said:
Why must you play this game as a female Sheppard?
She isn't creepy like male Shephard.

Makes sense that 80% will choose Male since it's mostly Males playing the game.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Vigilant Walrus said:
Only 50% completed it...

damn...
I am surpised its that high, I think HL2 is at only 1/4, though Valve said they think the code may be screwed up for the data collection.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Halycon said:
http://i44.tinypic.com/14wxb9l.jpg[IMG]

Also her model is better and her voice actor is better and she has more interesting dynamics with certain members of the party (<3 Garrus)[/QUOTE]
[IMG]http://spawnio.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/Miranda-5.jpg

I know where my allegiances are.

Ushojax said:
I find it really interesting that only 50% of people finished the game, that's probably quite high on average but still, what's the point in putting in all that effort when half the audience will never see it through. That's one of the problems with trying to tell a story via a game, people just don't have 30 hours to spare to hear it. I can only imagine how high the number is for something like GTA4 or Fallout 3.
I've put over 40 hours into GTA 4 and completed both episodes, and I still haven't beaten the main game. Some of the mission designs are just total bullshit.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
I consider male soldier Shepard to be canon simply because he's the default and therefore that's what I play on my first playthrough.

Second time will be my imported renagade female engineer. I loved the engineer class in the first game but I'm a little wary of the changes to abilities in ME2.

dralla said:
if femshep didn't look so bad compared to male I think more people would pick her
Default femshep as a MASSIVE overbite. :(

Kyoufu

Soldier is so boring, why do people play it? Where's the fun?

I played the first game numerous times but the second only once. Can't believe anyone would play it 20+ times!

2San

Q8D3vil said:
where can i find these mods ?!

subversus said:
please enligten me what mods are available for PC version(except skins)?
Well they're not called mods just google for "Mass Effect 2 trainer". There should be ones that give you max or unlimited resources.

theRizzle

I find it interesting that the percentage of people in this thread saying they played as FemShep is WAY higher than 20%.

The first time I played ME1, I played as male Shepard. I sold that 360 and lost my save along with it. When I got a new 360 and played through ME1 again, I figured I would try female Shepard. I ended up liking her much more. When ME2 came out, I obviously wanted to try the character import so I imported my female character. I still have yet to try ME2 as a male Shepard though.

scarybore

dwebo said:
Surprised so many people use a custom face. I could never get one to not look downright fugly in comparison to the default models.

I never do it with male shepards, it just doesn't seem right as I'm so accustomed to the default shepard being in all the promotion materials.

Paragon/Neutral/Renegade Male/Female... I could maybe see six playthroughs. People doing more than that are just batshit crazy.

I did around 20 playthroughs of the first game but that was over many years, I simply dont have the time to invest into ME2 to play it 23-27 times in 9 months. Currently on my 6th playthrough of ME2, will end up with around 18 if everything goes as planned and I have the time.

Ikkarus

Female Shep > Male Shep.

Those are some really interesting statistics though. I'm most shocked at people playing as the soldier class.......
That class is the most boring to me, no wonder only 50% of people completed the game.
Vanguard all the way!

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
2San said:
Well they're not called mods just google for "Mass Effect 2 trainer". There should be ones that give you max or unlimited resources.

these are no mods, they're called cheats

Haly

Lyphen said:
GarrusCombatTech.png

I know where my allegiances are.
Fixed (for me at least).
I find it interesting that the percentage of people in this thread saying they played as FemShep is WAY higher than 20%.
A great majority of those players are probably fans of anything that resembles Halo so it's no surprise they'd go with male.
Default femshep as a MASSIVE overbite. :(
That's what customization is for! Also she looks better in game when she talks despite how the overbite looks up close.

A plausible explanation for the Soldier class is that the initial screens don't really give an impression of HOW a class plays. So, for example, to someone unfamiliar with Bioware's games they wouldn't associate Adepts with Mages event though they clearly are the caster class of Mass Effect. Also, since Bioware went through extra lengths to make ME2 look and feel more like a space shooter, Soldier seems the natural choice for someone who hasn't played 1.

The fact that so many players ended up as the Soldier says to me that it has more to do with the naming conventions then the class itself. Gamers all know exactly what a soldier is and what he's meant to do, but Vanguard and the others classes, not so much. People are far more likely to choose the familiar then the unfamiliar.

Dalauz

The save thingy data is fucking awesome. Hope will have some bigger impact in future releases

edit: female Sheppard all the way.

Halycon said:
14wxb9l.jpg

Also her model is better and her voice actor is better and she has more interesting dynamics with certain members of the party (<3 Garrus)
You know, everyone posts this picture of male Shepard, but have you seen the female version of this picture?

33 hours as an average completion time is kind of surprising. I beat the game in exactly 20 hours and did all of the loyalty missions aswell as a fair amount of mining. I don't remember skipping any dialogue aswell.

I suppose I did play through as a Vanguard though and basically walked through most areas without taking cover spamming Shield.

dralla

Sagitario said:
Why is the male Sheppard playthrough inferior?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFC6GBD5ltw

o god - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isARefv1Nvo&feature=related [skip first 10 seconds for spoilers]

ugh, fucking robot voice. it's impossible to believe anything he says. it stands out so much more since all of the other characters are voiced so well. It's so jarring hearing him in a conversation. the up side is that they scanned a person for his face so he looks good. femshep looks like an NPC :[

Haly

You know, everyone posts this picture of male Shepard, but have you seen the female version of this picture?
Nonesense, everyone knows FemShep looks better than MaleShep.

pahamrick

I'm part of the 80%. Whenever I'm in Mass Effect, I try to get into the groove of things and I just can't project myself as a bad ass woman (Especially when she sounds like she's got bigger balls than me.)

Male Shep fits my purpose, perfectly. :lol

Haly

pahamrick said:
I'm part of the 80%. Whenever I'm in Mass Effect, I try to get into the groove of things and I just can't project myself as a bad ass woman (Especially when she sounds like she's got bigger balls than me.)

Male Shep fits my purpose, perfectly. :lol
This is why she's awesome.

Also brings up another possible explanation for the 80% male thing:

1) You're playing the game placing yourself as the main character
2) You're playing the game as an interactive story inserting your own ideal for the main character

I can say confidently that many xbox owners will choose the former, since that's what theyr'e used to both in FPS and WRPGs. A few select others prefer to view the game as a complete narrative and thus the character creation amounts to who they want to see in the lead, tantamount to picking an actor for a movie.

Inkwell

Banned
I don't know what the big deal is with more people playing as a soldier. I played as soldier because I didn't trust any of my squad when it came to the shooting portion of the game, and also because as a soldier you're pretty much good no matter what situation you are in. Besides, you can always use your squads skills anyway. I didn't play the game like I was fighting along side 2 squad members all the time. I played it like I was there by myself, and my squad members were simply just an extension of my skill set.

Top Bottom