• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BioWare Shares Interesting Mass Effect 2 Statistics

Halycon said:
You run out of ammo though.

So fast.
Slow-mo head shots. All de time.

Now that I think about it, I almost always had my support characters made up of Wrex jr, Garrus, Miranda, and Jacob. Miranda and the Salarians tech/biotic powers were enough for most situations, and I loved having assault rifle and sniper fire as support. Plus, they were the more interesting characters IMO.

heh i wish i could see statistics like this from Demon's Souls. i have way over 20 playthroughs in that :D beaten some levels (like 1-3 which is super fun) 100+ times in co-op..

would also be fun to see how many people gave up on the first level lol.

anyway, my guess is when ME2 releases on PS3, and i'll finally get to play it.. i will finish it once and leave it at that. or are there really good incentives to play through again?

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
I don't see why anyone surprised with the the fact the most people played the soldier and engineer was the least played class.

In ME1 the soldier was the best class and the engineer was practically broken
We know 50% of the people that played ME2 imported from the first game, so its kinda obvious that people still didn't trust that engineers were better this time around.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
YagizY said:
If I am a male Shepard in ME1 and then I import that to ME2, can I still be female Shepard. Do my decisions carry over?
I remember you can change your appearance and class. I figure you can probably change your sex too.

And yes your decisions carry over. Mostly in regards to who is still alive in ME2 but there are other side mission relations that carry over too. Namely the missions involving Conrad Verner, Helena Blake, and Nassana Dantius.

Wallach

Dresden said:
Soldiers make better snipers since Adrenaline Rush apparently doubles the damage of each shot dealt.

It allows them to do more damage per shot, but given the threshold for useful damage in most cases as well as the longer delay between shots if you're waiting for AR and I don't think I'd call them better snipers. Heck, in plenty of cases the damage bonus you get for coming out of cloak is totally wasted.

Fimbulvetr said:
How much is the bonus for being in Infiltrator +invisibility?

I believe it is 70% at maximum (including damage evolution).

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Tali's eyes face forward though.

delirium

Isn't this an invasion of privacy? Am I sending them data every time I play the game. Did they slip something in their EULA that I agreed too? How about the 360 version, I didn't sign a EULA for ME1 and I expect ME2 is the same.

Sober

Sho_Nuff82 said:
Biotics/techs powers are nerfed against shielded enemies and nearly all boss creatures. Mass Effect 2 is a shooter at its core after all.
Warp owns barriers plus has an explosion when it hits something in a biotic field (barrier is one too). Also overload destroys shields easily.

Kyoufu said:
Soldier is so boring, why do people play it? Where's the fun?

I played the first game numerous times but the second only once. Can't believe anyone would play it 20+ times!
Because bullet time plus the machinegun just wrecks everything. Played it on hard as a soldier, basically destroyed the last boss just chaining bullet time and shooting AP rounds at the weak spots. Didn't even spawn Harbinger and friends once.

Pseudo judo said:
The fact that so many players ended up as the Soldier says to me that it has more to do with the naming conventions then the class itself. Gamers all know exactly what a soldier is and what he's meant to do, but Vanguard and the others classes, not so much. People are far more likely to choose the familiar then the unfamiliar.
I thought it was spelt out pretty easily what Adept and Engineer do (pure caster/thief) and the other 3 were hybrids of soldier/adept/engineer. Guess too many dudebros who pick on engineering students played ME2.

I'm also curious how many of these people that played Soldier even bothered to use their teammates properly for synergy; i.e. bring Garrus or Zaeed against robots, Miranda for all around tech+biotics, Grunt for armoured units, etc. Because when I played a soldier I would turn off auto-use abilities and hotkey or pause and fire them off at the enemy to strip their defenses. But then again, Squad AP ammo + Revenant (the LMG) + bullet time = everything is easy anyway.

I had way more fun with Adept and Sentinel. Spamming Throw was always fun :lol

Wallach

delirium said:
Isn't this an invasion of privacy? Am I sending them data every time I play the game. Did they slip something in their EULA that I agreed too? How about the 360 version, I didn't sign a EULA for ME1 and I expect ME2 is the same.

No. This option is in the menu and can be disabled (it's the feedback option). Also these statistics are totally anonymous, even they don't know what user sent what data point.

Ferrio

Banned
astroturfing said:
heh i wish i could see statistics like this from Demon's Souls. i have way over 20 playthroughs in that :D beaten some levels (like 1-3 which is super fun) 100+ times in co-op..

Fall-to-your-death statistics would be awesome.

delirium

As for the soldier statistic, I don't find it surprising at all. The gunplay while in Mass Effect 2 might not be as good as other games, its leaps and bounds above ME1. What they probably should do in ME3 is let all the classes use all the guns (with a few class exclusives) and give the soldiers more powers.

bioware said:
BioWare found that only 15% of conversations were skipped in Mass Effect 2, with the rate higher in non-critical moments like in the hub worlds and much lower later in the game at the climax. "If we found that 80% or 90% of the lines were being skipped, we would have to reevaluate the work that we were putting into the digital acting."

Other times, the data surprises. That happened with both how there were differences between the PC and Xbox 360 populations, as well as in regards to importing saves from Mass Effect 1. "We were surprised by how many people imported a game from Mass Effect 1…We put a lot into that feature and we could have gotten data back that said nobody was doing it. But actually more than half of players imported their save game from Mass Effect 1. That to me is quite high."

THANK GOD.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
80% played solider because it's the only way to play Mass Effect 1 without being gimped, not surprised it's the same for 2.

Why bother with the weak ass (not sure if they fixed this in ME2 despite saying they did) biotic powers when you can just PEW PEW PEW peoples shields just as easy and pop back into cover for a few seconds and then PEW PEW PEW them to death.

Wallach

TheSeks said:
80% played solider because it's the only way to play Mass Effect 1 without being gimped, not surprised it's the same for 2.

geBJX.gif

TheSeks said:

Why bother with the weak ass (not sure if they fixed this in ME2 despite saying they did) biotic powers when you can just PEW PEW PEW peoples shields just as easy and pop back into cover for a few seconds and then PEW PEW PEW them to death.
*headshots u*

owned

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Not mine. You can't even replicate her face in ME2's face editor. :lol
This *hi5* ME1 Face editor > ME2 Face editor.
TheSeks said:

Adept says wut?

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
TheSeks said:

You kidding? Biotic throw can kill five or more enemies in one shot if their backs are to a ledge. Thorian creepers died by the handful.

Engineers could shred an enemy group's defenses and halt their attacks in less than a second. Mopping whatever was left up was a breeze.

Enosh said:
no you can't
Aw...Would make those "Shepard? Is that really you?" moments even more akward.

Dresden said:
Vanguards wreck the game on any difficulty. Even more so with the new shotguns they dumped in the game.

Errr, wut. As of when? When I played ME2, when it came out, Vanguards were the worst class to play any of the higher difficulties on. There was like a whole obnoxious running conversation about this for like twenty pages in the |OT|. :lol

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Plywood said:
Adept says wut?

Default Adept or Custom Class Adept?

Because Custom Classes in ME1 was the only way to get around the stupid restrictions for most of the other classes.

And frankly Warp is the only useful Biotic in ME1, seems to be the same for 2. Lift is kinda useful and maybe Marksman Upgrade (how is that a biotic?), but that's about it. You're better off using guns in most situations.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
djtiesto said:
I've heard Tali being referenced to looking like a bird under the mask, or being 'avian'... played through both games and I think I missed something... did the game ever state anything like this?

I dunno. I searched for Tali face on google and got this.

tali.jpg

OMG Aero

I played as a male Shepard because in games where you create your own character, I like to play as myself instead of making some random character that you could just play in any other game.
I also played as a soldier because all the biotics and tech powers you ever need are on your squad mates so I would rather have access to all guns and the powers my squad can use instead of restrict myself to two guns just so I can use some powers that someone with me will have anyway.

markatisu

I am not going to lie, I played it as Solider because I figured that was the default and as Male because that was on the commercials and promos :lol

I would wager its as simple as that for a lot of that 80%

I blame Bioware for the gender disparity. If you just followed videos, screenshots, and commercials for the game you wouldn't even know that being a woman was an option. They should show off more of female Shepard for ME3.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
TheSeks said:
Default Adept or Custom Class Adept?

Because Custom Classes in ME1 was the only way to get around the stupid restrictions for most of the other classes.

And frankly Warp is the only useful Biotic in ME1, seems to be the same for 2. Lift is kinda useful and maybe Marksman Upgrade (how is that a biotic?), but that's about it. You're better off using guns in most situations.
I disagree that Warp is the only useful biotic, as lift and throw were both really great for stopping enemies and then your squad could just take them out as they're on the floor or in the air.

As for 2 I'd say they actually weakened the adept, because you now need to take out their shields before you can affect them with singularity or pull, which is ashame, because it seems like every other class got beefed up.

scarybore

TheSeks said:

The main reason I put points into warp would be so I could unlock singularity, it alone made adepts worth playing. Lift was excellent against Krogan on higher difficulties too.

I find your thoughts quite interesting since most people would argue that the gun play in Mass Effect was god awful, not that I'm not one of them.

tiff

Banned
ChoklitReign said:
I blame Bioware for the gender disparity. If you just followed videos, screenshots, and commercials for the game you wouldn't even know that being a woman was an option. They should show off more of female Shepard for ME3.
the same could be said for most games that let you pick your sex.

to be honest, i wouldn't be surprised if 20% female is pretty respectable for this type of game. this is a male-dominated industry, after all.

ChoklitReign said:

From a marketing standpoint that would just cause confusion to the general public, the same as if they showed a bunch of customized faces. Most people would just assume they were different characters. Plus having a default Shephard gives them a recognizable face they can always go back to.

Mad Max

Seda said:
Male Shepard sounds much better as a Renegade than a Paragon, imo.

Maleshep is such a whimp, femshep could kick his weak ass any day of the weak.

Ferrio said:
Quarians being shapeshifters would be hilarious. "What do they look like?!?!" Bioware: "Anything!"

The asari are already shapeshifters, so that would be kind of weird. :lol

charlequin said:
Errr, wut. As of when? When I played ME2, when it came out, Vanguards were the worst class to play any of the higher difficulties on. There was like a whole obnoxious running conversation about this for like twenty pages in the |OT|. :lol
I played briefly on hardcore with a vanguard and didn't have any problems. You have to spec them right.

I'm surprised that amount of female Sheps is that high. I can't shake the steroyotypical view of my xbox peers and thus thunk that most of them would think playing a girl to be un-manly.

For me though, it's female all the way. She looks and sounds better. Though I don't do any romance things because that's too strange.

On my 2nd playthrough of ME2 I played through 1 again to have a new male Shep and because I never played through 1 as a guy. Playing as male Shep is a bit more fun ,because the dude sounds pretty bad and creepy. His conversations with gals are quite entertaining. Besides I needed to play as a guy to tap Mirranda.

Lime

Seriously, even though I much prefer playing femShep, I am so glad that maleShep exists, only because of all those hilarious screens of his creepy face, or the gifs of him dancing. My life wouldn't be the same without it :lol

EDIT: I haven't seen any "datass" pictures in this thread yet.

Soldiers are probably the "best" class for insanity level play in that they start the game with all weapon types, and adrenaline rush at even level 1 is amazing - you do double damage from weapons, and can use it to move out of harms way. Unlike other classes they dont need a lot of skill to play.

Vanguards on insanity START the game weak, they lack sniper rifles or direct damage dealing powers like incinerate. Charge at level one is very weak, for example it does no shield recharge and has a 6 second cooldown.

However, a high level vanguard is a monster. Once you have Heavy Charge and Max Cooldown (Max Passive class, and get the biotic 20% cooldown) you are a monster. For even more fun, add Inferno Rounds, and Squad Cryo into the mix.

You haven't experienced ME2 fully until you slam into and send flying a Krogan/Geth Destroyer etc using Heavy Charge with time slowdown. Great fun.

Also, Soldier has no access to any arc-able powers (concussive shot is straight line only to target, no arc-ing). So a shame if people never experience that.

[/Vanguard Defense Force]

I always find it odd how few people actually complete/finish games. Very strange, especially if you bought the game.

20+ playthroughs is completely insane.

Rahxephon91 said:
I'm surprised that amount of female Sheps is that high. I can't shake the steroyotypical view of my xbox peers and thus thunk that most of them would think playing a girl to be un-manly.

For me though, it's female all the way. She looks and sounds better. Though I don't do any romance things because that's too strange.

On my 2nd playthrough of ME2 I played through 1 again to have a new male Shep and because I never played through 1 as a guy. Playing as male Shep is a bit more fun ,because the dude sounds pretty bad and creepy. His conversations with gals are quite entertaining. Besides I needed to play as a guy to tap Mirranda.

My first playthrough on ME1 was female, but my second playthrough (after I lost my first save) was a male. I preferred the female character but wanted to import my save into ME2 so stuck with the male.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Well let me tell you. I started play as a female Shepard, but the eye option I chose (the largest, brightest, doe-eyed one) only blinked half way. This looked retarded in cut-scenes when Shepard either blinked, or tried to close her eyes. The eyes were apparently too large or something the lids only came down about half. Honestly how can Bioware give us a facial option, then not realize that it doesn't animate properly?? Sucks because I spent an hour making her and you're not really allowed to test the character out or make changes without restarting the game. She looked pretty awesome otherwise.

I got annoyed with this eye thing after a while and restarted the game. Then I realized that there was a CGI cinema intro that I never watched and I noticed the male default Shepard in it. Just said fuck it, and chose default male & soldier. Ah well....

REV 09

They should allow all classes to have access to all weapon types. Then just work on differentiating the soldier by other means like CQC or heavier armor / diff ammo types. Restrict abilities, not weapons.

Top Bottom