• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bish's Official GTA IV Thread of Comparisons and Ignoring the OP at One's Peril

Foxix Von

After having seen the video I really don't understand the whole "PS3 has better lighting" argument =/ however I will say that when playing it the dithered shadows reeaaallly grate my nerves:lol

JB1981

don't know why people are bitching so much about the framerate. it's respectable. certainly not as bad as say, MASS EFFECT, for instance.

Yea, the 360 version looks sharper when still. Can't really tell in motion, though. The PS3 version still has the advantage in lighting and lack of popins.

if GTAIV was trying to look like Real life then i'm going with ps3. when i look at this normally it's clear, when i'm drunk it looks blurry but never sharp. come on. sharp people? No wonder House prefers ps3 version.

BenjaminBirdie said:
Wow. That was incredibly fucking well done. I don't feel bad about having the [EDIT] 360 version at all.

Indeed the only difference I see is a slight lighting difference and I have to try to see it. Well done R*.

This should end the comparisons of one over the other visually. At least until someone claims they were shopped one way or the other.

Salmonax

UncleGuito said:
The PS3 version still has the advantage in lighting and lack of popins.
I dunno, did you watch the helicopter comparisons in that video? The GetALife building spontaneously disappears/reappears in the PS3 version. I know it's just one example, but it makes me wonder if the issue is as cut-and-dry as reviewers made it seem.

danwarb

UncleGuito said:
Yea, the 360 version looks sharper when still. Can't really tell in motion, though. The PS3 version still has the advantage in lighting and lack of popins.
It looked like PS3 had just as much pop-in in that video. I saw one entire building fade out and back in again.

szaromir

Banned
Having watching several comparison videos, I have to say that while Playstation 3 version has a certain charm to it (and less issues with streaming objects), vasoline effect and what seems to be a bit worse framerate on Sony's console make me happy with my 360 version.

Choke on the Magic said:
Indeed the only difference I see is a slight lighting difference and I have to try to see it. Well done R*.

This should end the comparisons of one over the other visually. At least until someone claims they were shopped one way or the other.

I really hope so. And it was done with such charm and panache.

Less Than Three Gametrailers.

Salmonax

Forsete said:
Odd that the framerate whores on this forum havent been able to detect that then.
I think that's the consensus, to a certain extent, but the framerate isn't amazing on either version.

Forsete

Salmonax said:
I think that's the consensus, to a certain extent, but the framerate isn't amazing on either version.

That they are about the same but with different drops in different locations? Yep.
TTP "oh-I-cant-play-CoD4-nor-HS" ( :p ) even thought the PS3 version was smoother, IIRC.

FrankT

szaromir said:
Having watching several comparison videos, I have to say that while Playstation 3 version has a certain charm to it (and less issues with streaming objects), vasoline effect and what seems to be a bit worse framerate on Sony's console make me happy with my 360 version.

Yup, the clarity and sharpness of the 360 version is so evident in that video. Certainly due in part to the higher res. As far as lighting goes I have no idea how anyone can say there is some advantage of one or the other in that video because just not seeing it. Very nice comparison video.

conman

I've migrated wholly to my PS3 version now after a couple days spent jumping back and forth between the two versions. The lighting effects really go a long way toward making the game seem cinematic.

HDR and the image processing effects give a greater impression of spatial depth in the PS3 version. The 360, though sharp, looks a little "flat" in comparison.

And while it does seem like the PS3 version might hit a few framerate snags more than the 360 version, I'm starting to think it's just because of the difference in the overall "muted" sheen of the PS3 version. I think it just makes any framerate drop slightly more noticeable, but the actual framerate itself is probably not any different.

The relative smoothness and sharpness of the 360 version's image might just make it seem like it has the slight framerate advantage. But I don't think you could measure a difference.

Forsete

I dont trust these videos at all, not when there is such a minor difference between the games.
When I captured my videos I noticed the PC droped a lot of frames during the process, anything can happen here if they dont have the proper equipment.

Are the videos still compressed to hell?

Here are my three videos.

http://vimeo.com/962412 - Random driving

http://vimeo.com/962390 Hooker

http://vimeo.com/962351 Escaping cops

I believe you can download the videos so you wont have to see the ultra-compressed streaming versions.

nib95

Banned
danwarb said:

From that vid, what I can gather is.

360 version is the teeniest bit sharper, PS3 version has slightly less jaggies and looks smoother over-all, PS3 version has better shadows with less dithering, many more shadows too. The colour palette in the PS3 version imo is much better. Warmer more realistic skin tones and hues, closer to D65. 360 looks like it's running on what most TV's have as a "cool" setting, where as the PS3 version is running "Normal" to "Slightly Warm" (which you will find is the setting 90% of TV's are set to after professional calibration).

I just noticed one other notable difference. The PS3's explosions are imo better and more realistic than the 360's. Many more variations of smoke plume thickness and more debree as well. Looks like they made use of the Cell's advantages where need be. They took advantage of the 360's strength (GPU) with the 720p, and the PS3's advantages (Cell, Blu-ray and HDD standard) with the more complex post process filtering, better shadows, better explosion physics, better anti-aliasing filter technique, HDD streaming etc.

Direct explosion comparison.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y180/nchoudhury/ExplosionComp.jpg

360 Explosions.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y180/nchoudhury/XboxExplosions.jpg

PS3 Explosions.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y180/nchoudhury/PS3Explosions.jpg

J-Rzez

JB1981 said:
i actually thought ps3's framerate did look a bit more sluggish in that comparison video.

After playing around with both of them, they both take a hit in frame, and at various almost random instances. Both suffer from pop in, but the 360 is the noticeably worse offender, and it's load times are sometimes longer. The filter is love or hate as well on the PS3 version. I haven't tried either online yet to draw a conclusion on that one.

It's really hard to use video footage as a comparison though as these capture videos more often than not do not represent what you see on your hdtv. I put a lil time into both and they're pretty close. The thing that'll make the difference is whatever the hell filter they use on the PS3 version.

szaromir

Banned
Forsete said:
I dont trust these videos at all, not when there is such a minor difference between the games.
When I captured my videos I noticed the PC droped a lot of frames during the process, anything can happen here if they dont have the proper equipment.
So, right now gametrailers have bad equipment all of a sudden? Yes the do compress the hell out of the videos, but I never felt like gametrailers had any problems with capturing framerate whatsoever. Anyway, if these vids are just a wrong selection of scenes for the PS3 version and PS3 gamers are getting indeed the same experience framerate-wise as I am, good for them.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
nib95 said:

360 version is the teeniest bit sharper, PS3 version has slightly less jaggies and looks smoother over-all, PS3 version has better shadows with less dithering, many more shadows too. The colour palette in the PS3 version imo is much better. Warmer more realistic skin tones and hues, closer to D65. 360 looks like it's running on what most TV's have as a "cool" setting, where as the PS3 version is running "Normal" to "Slightly Warm" (which you will find is the setting 90% of TV's are set to after professional calibration).

I just noticed one other notable difference. The PS3's explosions are imo better and more realistic than the 360's. Many more variations of smoke plume thickness and more debree as well. Looks like they made use of the Cell's advantages where need be. They took advantage of the 360's strength (GPU) with the 720p, and the PS3's advantages (Cell, Blu-ray and HDD standard) with the more complex post process filtering, better shadows, better explosion physics, better anti-aliasing filter technique, HDD streaming etc.

360 Explosions.

PS3 Explosions.

Wow, never did notice those explosions. What a difference. That's a bit odd that they're both so different, eh?

chubigans said:
Wow, never did notice those explosions. What a difference. That's a bit odd that they're both so different, eh?
O.O

ps3 is great doing that stuff. look at Stardust with it's millions of particles flying around :D

Forsete

szaromir said:
So, right now gametrailers have bad equipment all of a sudden?

How would I know? Im saying Im not trusting any comparison videos out there, well maybe Blimblim because I know he has the right stuff. :)

I mentioned what happened when I recorded a 5-6 minute video of the game. The PC dropped frames, that adds to a more jerky feeling.

I can however take screenshots. :p

Curious, how would this look on 360 with the dithering effect?

cCKuVykwV.jpg

Would all of the out of focus background be dithered?

Raistlin

chubigans said:

DMPrince said:
O.O

ps3 is great doing that stuff. look at Stardust with it's millions of particles flying around :D

Pics are blocked for me (at work), looking forward to seeing the comparison.

360 actually has fillrate advantages or PS3, so it should be better at this sort of thing from a graphics perspective.

However, that is purely from a rendering standpoint. Assuming there is physics used for the motion (as opposed to being random or pre-canned), then its quite conceivable it ends up swinging back into PS3's favor in real-world terms due to CELL's extra processing power.

Stardust is an example of that sort of situation. Everything on-screen is using physics calculations.

danwarb

nib95 said:
PS3 version has slightly less jaggies and looks smoother over-all, PS3 version has better shadows with less dithering, many more shadows too.
Those differences I do not see in this video.

WrikaWrek

Banned
360 version came out looking the best in that GT comparison.

There's times where the Ps3 version looks like it was dipped in vaseline. There were parts during driving where the Ps3 version was also stuttering, a kind of stutter i haven't seen in the 360 version.

Pop up was slightly better on the Ps3 at parts, but i didn't see the 360 version pop up the whole getafe building in front of you, while the Ps3 version did.

Imo 360 version looks better. (Looking at the video)

nib95 said:

360 Explosions.

PS3 Explosions.

Watching the video again to see it all in action and wow, nib95 you're right, there is quite a difference in the explosions effects. There are definite fuller more robust pronounced looking explosions in the PS3 version especially with the volumes of smoke and particles debris.

Salmonax

WrikaWrek said:
Imo 360 version looks better. (Looking at the video)
Yeah, the video makes the issue seem much less ambiguous than reviews have presented. So I wonder if it's just not showing the PS3's strengths sufficiently, especially after reviewers generally gave PS3 the graphical edge.

WrikaWrek

Banned
Salmonax said:
Yeah, the video makes the issue seem much less ambiguous than reviews have presented. So I wonder if it's just not showing the PS3's strengths sufficiently, especially after reviewers generally gave PS3 the graphical edge.

Maybe reviewers just like the vaseline look?!

To me it just looks like you are playing at a low rez, reminds me when i used to play PC games at lower rez than i should with my monitor. It would have that vaseline look, to me it's a bad thing.

Salmonax said:

That's the thing, though. This is visual evidence. All the "graphical edge" that's been given is subjective. Some people might prefer 360's look, some people might think the more impressive explosions make the game feel more visceral. At this point each version has enough going for it that, as Cowboy Astronaut stated so very long ago, each person can really and truly and comfortably come to their own conclusion about which they prefer.

GreekWolf

nib95 said:
PS3 version has slightly less jaggies and looks smoother over-all, PS3 version has better shadows with less dithering, many more shadows too. The colour palette in the PS3 version imo is much better. Warmer more realistic skin tones and hues, closer to D65
Sorry mate, but I think it's safe to assume that many of your "impressions" have already proven to be heavily slanted.

In fact, most of this banter is quite silly, considering that we now have several comparison videos with which to base our own conclusions.

Surfheart

I'm back on the PS3 version /fickle

I'll keep my 360 version to play multi with my buds, but I just love the way the PS3 version looks. It's more than just saturation to my eyes, it's almost as the PS3 has more colours or something or a larger colour range. The 360 version looks so flat in comparison. The dithering in the 360 version was pretty off-putting for me too.

On framerate, I've now compared both versions on my own 720p TV and it would appear that forcing 1080p, as I did on my original comparison, does effect the framerate on the PS3 negatively. With both versions at 720p, I still feel the the 360 version is still slightly smoother most of the time.

Back to the game, cya in 50 hours GAF. ;)

GreekWolf said:
Sorry mate, but I think it's safe to assume that many of your "impressions" have already proven to be heavily slanted.

In fact, most of this banter is quite silly, considering that we now have several comparison videos with which to base our own conclusions.

It's fairly consistent about the small differences between the two.

The 360 is sharper with the higher resolution and AA while the PS3 version is softer with it using filter effects to blur aliasing and lower resolution.

The rest of differences are already noted to be consistent in that the 360 has more dithering effects especially regarding the shadows and the color/lighting saturation is much "warmer" in the PS3 version.

And rest is pop-up and framerate inconsistency, which both versions in the true name of GTA technical tradition, which both have.

Now though, nib95 pointing out the visual differences with explosion effects with pics and there being video we can see for ourselves in the gametrailers video is something new to me.

conman

Surfheart said:
The 360 version looks so flat in comparison.
Exactly. I'd initially committed to playing the 360 version (for the marginally improved framerate). After many hours, I checked out the PS3 version again. I couldn't believe how "flat" it makes the 360 version seem in comparison.

I think it's the sense of added depth that the lighting effects add to the PS3 version. It makes light sources and reflective sources look as though the light is filtering through actual space. Very different, IMO. I'm on the PS3 version for good (until the DLC hits).

Doc Evils

nib95 said:

360 Explosions.

PS3 Explosions.

The difference looks pretty huge.

danwarb

I'm not seeing any lighting difference in the GT video other than the PS3 version have a slightly more yellow hue.

FrankT

WrikaWrek said:
Maybe reviewers just like the vaseline look?!

To me it just looks like you are playing at a low rez, reminds me when i used to play PC games at lower rez than i should with my monitor. It would have that vaseline look, to me it's a bad thing.

Yea, I agree that vasoline/low res look would so get on my nerves. I'm wondering did reviewers get the same "review" copy that Dot50cal got? Clearly there were differnces in that and the retail as evident with the TOD. Issues such as we saw with pop-in may not have been just limited to that between the two.

Salmonax said:
I dunno, did you watch the helicopter comparisons in that video? The GetALife building spontaneously disappears/reappears in the PS3 version. I know it's just one example, but it makes me wonder if the issue is as cut-and-dry as reviewers made it seem.

Yea, which may go back to review copy, but yea it seems like pop-in is becoming more and more a moot point particularly with that comparison.

BenjaminBirdie said:
Wow. That was incredibly fucking well done. I don't feel bad about having the [EDIT] 360 version at all.

That's by far the best comparison I've ever seen. Thumbs up to whoever made it.

GreekWolf said:

Even though he was throughly owned, I think most people in this thread have a slant. He's a bad one (would you take 1st hand advice from me regarding the PS3? probably not) but there are enough videos now to make a decision on your own.

Bebpo

Banned
JB1981 said:
don't know why people are bitching so much about the framerate. it's respectable. certainly not as bad as say, MASS EFFECT, for instance.

Waaay different types of games. In Mass Effect you could PAUSE the game and point where you want your AI to attack and stuff. It definitely did not need split second reactions like chasing someone in a car in GTA.

dfyb

Banned
Salmonax said:
that was a rare occurance - not really fit for comparison vids. in comparison vids, i think it's more fair to either compare typical vs typical or rare vs rare - not rare vs typical. the ps3 version most definitely does NOT do that on a normal basis. it was also dumb how during part of the helicopter section, they would descend on ps3 but remain at a constant altitude on 360.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
danwarb said:

Very nice comparison video there, if anyone after watching that says there is either version is ultimately superior/inferior then they are fucking crazy seriously, they look practically identical, I personally like the the smoother filtered look of the PS3 version, do I think it's better than the 360 version, nope, I know other people will prefer the cleaner look of the 360 one, I'm afraid which ever way you look at this time it comes down to likes and dislikes, no one version is ultimately better than the other, there is no winner here.

/thread tbh.

JB1981

Bebpo said:
Waaay different types of games. In Mass Effect you could PAUSE the game and point where you want your AI to attack and stuff. It definitely did not need split second reactions like chasing someone in a car in GTA.

i've only put a few hours into the game but where does this supposed terrible framerate come into play? it certainly runs ok as far as gta/open world type games go imo.

Top Bottom