• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bish's Official GTA IV Thread of Comparisons and Ignoring the OP at One's Peril

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
SpokkX said:
Exchanged my PS3 version for a 360 one and I am glad I did.

- The framerate runs at a constitently higher clip on 360. It is really noticable and framerate > everything else for me. Still the framerate is hardly optimal, just not as bad.

- The game looks "sharper" and more clinical. I am not sure if this is good or bad though, mostly different.

- Shadows do look worse and the HDR lightning could be somewhat more subdued (I am not certain of the lightning)

- Popup is a bit worse, but not really something I notice while playing.

- Controls is down to preference. I prefer the 360 controller for driving and fps games.

Yep. This is exactly what I did and how I feel. The 360 version just looks sharper and runs better (IMO).

cgcg said:
I don't think it's an intended effect, it's just nasty dithering. If you look really closely you can see them on the PS3 version as well. It's just no where as bad. Looks like the X360 version missing shadows as well on the leaves close to the screen.

I read on B3D, PS3 version is using RSX's PCF support to help with shadows. Xenos has similar capabilities but it appears unused.

Shiftygeezer thinks the artifacts present on textures like the burgershot sign are noise.

Reallink

About the dithering, have any of you seen Rockstar's commercial in HD--not that Gamestop crap? It ran during Family Guy last night (Sunday) on Fox. It was like watching a 30 second long Bullshot of what the game should actually look like--save for the lack of any aliasing whatsoever, I realize that's just unrealistic. Aside from that though, they obviously removed any semblance of dithering, rebalanced the color and contrast, and removed most if not all of the DoF distance blur shit. I watched it 5 or 6 times marveling at how the 360 version looks absolutely nothing like it.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Reallink said:
About the dithering, have any of you seen Rockstar's commercial in HD--not that Gamestop crap? It ran during Family Guy last night (Sunday) on Fox. It was like watching a 30 second long Bullshot of what the game should actually look like--save for the lack of any aliasing whatsoever, I realize that's just unrealistic. Aside from that though, they obviously removed any semblance of dithering, rebalanced the color and contrast, and removed most if not all of the DoF distance blur shit. I watched it 5 or 6 times marveling at how the 360 version looks absolutely nothing like it.

Funnily enough, that's how I felt about he PS3 version as well. It was impressive, in game seemingly, but not really representative of the actual game quality.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Mister Chef said:
WTF is it with the 360 screenshots that they all look like if they had the posterize 'shop filter applied to them? :lol
They are direct feed shots from the game.

If you aren't seeing it in game, your display is probably losing some of the detail. In this case, that's probably a positive thing.

Of course, most people claim that it is quite visible within the game (especially the shadow dithering).

and removed most if not all of the DoF distance blur shit
I like how people seem to believe that adding depth of field IMPROVES performance and is used as a crutch. You do realize that the blurs they use are not free effects. It's not as if removing them would massively improve performance, but it certainly isn't the opposite either.

Mash

dark10x said:
I like how people seem to believe that adding depth of field IMPROVES performance and is used as a crutch. You do realize that the blurs they use are not free effects. It's not as if removing them would massively improve performance, but it certainly isn't the opposite either.

How exactly is DoF implemented - (still looking for a copy) - is it just more distant objects are blurry or is it more subtle?

dfyb

Banned
Mash said:
How exactly is DoF implemented - (still looking for a copy) - is it just more distant objects are blurry or is it more subtle?
i'm playing the ps3 version. it's implemented well - subtle. i think it looks nice.

Pimpbaa

Reallink said:

It was the PC version :p

Forsete

dfyb said:
i'm playing the ps3 version. it's implemented well - subtle. i think it looks nice.

I noticed that (or at least this is what I think it does) they use different levels of DOF at different times during the game.

Raining: The DOF feels to be very close. Same when there is fog.
Sunlight: Pretty far away, bloom has also been added.
Night: DOF far away, no bloom.

SpokkX

Player well over 10 hours on ps3 and now about 5 hours on 360

360 really is A LOT smoother framerate wise overall in the singleplayer game. It amazes me that the large site havn´t mentioned this.

The framerate difference is even bigger in multiplayer where the ps3 version was unplayable because of the low fps (imo)

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
dogmaan said:
most of the people i know who had xbox's and x360's also to some extent played pc games (possibly due to the bait and switch pc version of halo a month before the launch of xbox)

most of the people I know who have ps2's or wii's don't play pc games much or at all

From your own personal experience maybe that was the case, but to assume that is a reflection on everyone that owns a 360 is a fairly large assumption I must say, ok, your comment regarding the Wii does have merit but in regards to 360's users I still believe the large majority are predominantly consoles gamers first, yes some may of dabbled in PC gaming but thats a far cry from being a hard core PC gamer as you originally stated in you first post here,

dogmaan said:
..as a lot of 360 owners are also hardcore PC gamers or ex PC gamers..

as for the PS3, I'm not sure what there target audience is yet, I think the target audience for PS3 is probably anyone who can afford it

Not necessarily, I'm sure there are plenty of people that can afford the PS3 but it's whether the cost justifies the means, I certainly don't think it's at a price point yet to win over the masses but then again that depends on what your planing to use it for and we've had that disscussion a million times on here before.

PC gamers will be more understanding/forgiving of a lack of vsync if it means the frame rate is higher

Yes, I agree, hardcore PC gamers will be more forgiving ;-).

DeadGzuz

Banned
SpokkX said:
The framerate difference is even bigger in multiplayer where the ps3 version was unplayable because of the low fps (imo)

When I played online the game had the same frame rate as SP (why shouldn't it?). The game had full traffic and pedestrians too. I think people confusion network latency with frame rate.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
DeadGzuz said:
When I played online the game had the same frame rate as SP (why shouldn't it?). The game had full traffic and pedestrians too. I think people confusion network latency with frame rate.
Ditto. Things react the same in the SP as in the MP for me. Let's not start something out of nothing here folks.

iceatcs

For MP lag, I have some problem last night, but I managed fix it use my ethernet rather than Wifi. The MP seem smooth almost as SP.

Surfheart

Mister Chef said:
WTF is it with the 360 screenshots that they all look like if they had the posterize 'shop filter applied to them? :lol

Yeah it's pretty off putting.

I'm glad more people are mentioning that they feel the 360 has a slightly nicer framerate. I thought I might have a dodgy PS3 for awhile there.

JRW

Surfheart said:
Yeah it's pretty off putting.

I'm glad more people are mentioning that they feel the 360 has a slightly nicer framerate. I thought I might have a dodgy PS3 for awhile there.

Yea 360's is definately smoother overall.

Has anyone seen IGN's GTA4 head-2-head article, They claim 360's has more framerate issues AND that 360's colors are more vibrant... wtf? They were so off on there Condemned 2 head2head article as well, they preferred PS3's version even tho 360's is clearly better (I have it for both consoles)..

They must be getting paid off , or they're biased...Or perhaps just not very bright.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
JRW said:
They must be getting paid off , or they're biased...Or perhaps just not very bright.

Pretty much every single online review preferred the PS3 version, so they're not alone. Though their reasons are a bit strange.

cameltoe

WrikaWrek said:
On my 2nd playthrough.

No screen tearing (360)

there is tearing on the 360 version...heres a shot from B3D

GTAtear2.JPG

GTAtear3.JPG

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1157361&postcount=194

Mash

From that B3D link above:

I've played the both versions of GTA for about 10 hours each, and initially I thought the 360 version looked way better with its sharper smoother look. As for PS3, it's not just the blurs, but the flickering jaggies that killed my eyes all over the screen.

However, after spending some time on both, I now have feeling that PS3 version does provide somewhat more impressive pictures overall. I'd say PS3 version's got more uglies, but more pretties as well. The 360 version is more easy on eyes, with more polished visuals overall.

He's contradicting himself in the same sentence lol, I guess it really must boil down to some sort of personal taste.

Surfheart

I've got 13 hours+ on the 360 and it looks completely vsynced to me. When the framerate drops it drops, i've never seen any tearing at all.

Salmonax

Surfheart said:
I've got 13 hours+ on the 360 and it looks completely vsynced to me. When the framerate drops it drops, i've never seen any tearing at all.
Me neither, and that's not coming from some sort of fanboy delusion. I'll call a spade a spade (such as the subtle but omnipresent pop-in), and I've seen zero tearing on the 360 version.

SpokkX

JRW said:
Yea 360's is definately smoother overall.

Has anyone seen IGN's GTA4 head-2-head article, They claim 360's has more framerate issues AND that 360's colors are more vibrant... wtf? They were so off on there Condemned 2 head2head article as well, they preferred PS3's version even tho 360's is clearly better (I have it for both consoles)..

IGN said that the ps3 has better framerate? They must be bought off or just not very good at spotting such thing. The framerate is quite a bit better on 360. One easy way to compare this is to get on top of a whatever building and spin the camera round. The 360 i almost always 30fps where the ps3 version seems to struggle on rooftops at about 20 fps

Lefty42o

Banned
andrewfee said:
http://sr-388.net/videos/DSCF0414.MP4

This is about as smooth as the 360 version ever gets when you're in a car. As you can see, there's plenty of tearing. However, as the game is consistently below 30fps, but often above 20, I think this is maybe a case where having V-Sync off is the right option. I think I'd prefer close to 30fps rather than a consistent 15/20fps if the PS3 version has V-Sync enabled. Either way, it runs like crap on both systems, so we all lose out.

:lol

first let me say i could care less which version is better. i have posted very little cause between moving and playing i have hjad very little time.

1. i have over 20 hrs on the 360 version and have seen no tearing and a framerate of 30 atleast. i have never had a major slowdown or any instability

2. i have never had a crash or freeze

3. and your video is a joke. the framerate looked solid and i saw no tearing. i do not even think you know what tearing is if you try to pas that video off and say its full of tearing.

this is not a defense of the 360 version or a endorsement for any version. i love the game so i say buy it any system any way you can it should not be missed. but i canlt sit by and see bulllshit posted about the game.

dfyb

Banned
Lefty42o said:

first let me say i could care less which version is better. i have posted very little cause between moving and playing i have hjad very little time.

1. i have over 20 hrs on the 360 version and have seen no tearing and a framerate of 30 atleast. i have never had a major slowdown or any instability

2. i have never had a crash or freeze

3. and your video is a joke. the framerate looked solid and i saw no tearing. i do not even think you know what tearing is if you try to pas that video off and say its full of tearing.

this is not a defense of the 360 version or a endorsement for any version. i love the game so i say buy it any system any way you can it should not be missed. but i canlt sit by and see bulllshit posted about the game.
if you can't see the tearing in that vid i don't trust you have the ability to notice many other issues either.

Lefty42o

Banned
dfyb said:
if you can't see the tearing in that vid i don't trust you have the ability to notice many other issues either.

you mean the scrolling line you get when you video tape some computer screens and tv's? casue thats what is going on in that video. any person who has taken any video of a screen knows that effect.

which is why i called bull shit

i know tearing, hello saints row.

dfyb

Banned
antiloop said:
Tearing? Seeing as "GAF" is quite sensitive when it comes to tearing this could mean another 20 pages.
people make tearing into a bigger deal than it really is. i mean, i guess it bothers some people, but i'm someone who almost always turns v-sync off.

Lefty42o

Banned
andrewfee said:
I don't think you're as good at judging framerates / spotting tearing as you think you are…

right.

well the video was taken with a shakey cam of a computer screen or lcd display,. there is a verticle line rolling up the screen. i have seen the video 10 times now and i see no tearing. now there is tearing in another video of uncharted and its minor compared to saints row or mass effect.

so i can identify tearing and i see none in that video nor have i with my own 2 eyes playing the game for over 20 hrs.

so if i can see it in other games but not in gta than maybe its not tearing or if it is it can't be much if we have to debate it you think.

any way this is tearing

http://sr-388.net/videos/minor-tearing.MP4

once again when saints row came out i posted all the time about the tearing. i am a tearing whore. can't stand it. no i see no tearing in the video posted nor in the game when i play.

10 hours in on 360 and never seen any tearing, I find it difficult to believe anyone has (although perhaps they are playing over VGA?)

have had two noticeable pop up issues, once in the laundry mat the cut scene started with no washing machines and then they just popped in, and also the Bridge near the taxi firm can pop in regularly, other than that I've had no issues, the frame rate is pretty good even when I try to break it

Lefty42o

Banned
andrewfee said:
The camera is on a tripod designed for much larger cameras, so it wasn't moving at all. It's filming my CRT monitor which is why there's that line moving across it.

1. never said it was not on a tripod. just that its a shakey cam video meaning you took a video using a camera of your tv or monitor and not a capture card.

2. i know why there is a line moving thru the screen and i believe other posters see that and assume that is the tearing casue the line pops in and out depending on the lighting.

and still does not change the fact i see no tearing in the video nor in person playing the game. as i said before i have no issues talking bout a games flaws. tearing just aint one of them.

SpokkX

Router said:
WAT?

Am I blind or have we changed the definition of tearing?

I see some slight tearing in that video.

I have never seen any tearing on my 360, played for 6 hours. I am running 720p over hdmi.

Is that running over vga or scaled to 1080p or something? or it could be the camera that is causing the tearing?

Finally i've been able to compare both versions. I finished the singleplayer(missions) on the 360 and now my roommate got the ps3 version.

I didn't think the difference would be big but...... damn what the hell happend to the ps3 version. Very blurry image, lower FPS and more aliasing.

Lefty42o

Banned
SpokkX said:

I have never seen any tearing on my 360, played for 6 hours. I am running 720p over hdmi.

Is that running over vga or scaled to 1080p or something? or it could be the camera that is causing the tearing?

thats not even tearing. i am telling you its the scrolling line when you capture a video of a monitor using a camera/camcorder.

on top of the changing lighting from headlights and it being dark.

thats my opinion from seeing the video now for the 13th time.

like i said 20 hrs in 1080p hdmi i have seen no tearing.

dfyb

Banned
Lefty42o said:
thats not even tearing. i am telling you its the scrolling line when you capture a video of a monitor using a camera/camcorder.
trolling? your uncharted video was captured much the same way, buddy.

Brashnir

SpokkX said:

I finished the game and never saw any tearing except in the final credits. I also don't think I ever saw the game reach 30fps. I think they're using some sort of weird buffering like in previous games that displays the game at an odd framerate.

I know San Andreas (bizarrely) caps at 25fps on the PC version, a non-v-synced rate on most displays, yet it doesn't tear. That might be the case with this one as well, because the framerate is consistently poor and seems herky-jerky. I popped in PGR4 while taking a break from GTA just to make sure I wasn't going crazy, and the difference is night and day between the two as far as framerate goes.

Lefty42o

Banned
dfyb said:
trolling? your uncharted video was captured much the same way, buddy.

1. not my video. same person who made the other video made the one i posted.

2. i posted the video to show tearing. which that video clearly shows.

I didn't have any noticable frame rate problems during my play through on PS3. Except for clusterfuck situations (6 star wanted level killing spree, fire truck water spraying).
However the situation was very different when I suffered from the freezing issues. The frame rate was way lower and I had constant 1 fps/sec moments: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=10998914&postcount=1183
As you can see I fixed the issue right away. From there on everything was smooth&sexy.
So I assume people who are complaining about the framte rate issues on PS3 are the ones who generally have problems with their GTA (freezing and such).

Surfheart

bj00rn_ said:
"Good at spotting tearing"..? Oh.my.god... :lol

Yeah I'm pretty sure you can be awarded a jacket for that? :lol

mr_bishiuk said:
10 hours in on 360 and never seen any tearing, I find it difficult to believe anyone has (although perhaps they are playing over VGA?)

Hmm thats a good point. I seem to recall a few games that had issues over VGA and/or upscaled to 1080i/p.

I have mine set to 720p and no tearing.

Lefty42o

Banned
Surfheart said:
Yeah I'm pretty sure you can be awarded a jacket for that? :lol

Hmm thats a good point. I seem to recall a few games that had issues over VGA and/or upscaled to 1080i/p.

I have mine set to 720p and no tearing.

it could be a vga issue. i am running 360 at 1080p over hdmi. 20 hrs in no tearing

Top Bottom