• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bit.Trip Saga (3DS) and Bit.Trip Collection (Wii) dated and detailed

Shiggy said:
Any news about a PAL release?

or japan, for that matter? this is exactly the sort of thing that often wouldn't come out here...i want the 3DS version. it'll be like the fourth time i'll have bought beat, but the others are all new to me.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I've always wanted to try these games but Wiiware and limited "fridge space" on the Wii has turned me off. Also want to play that Fluidity game, I hope that's the next game to get a retail release.

djtiesto said:
I've always wanted to try these games but Wiiware and limited "fridge space" on the Wii has turned me off.

Invalid excuse.

wiisd.jpg

Jiguryo

Aryan mech phallus gun
ElectricBlanketFire said:
Invalid excuse.

wiisd.jpg

Yeah, playing the "fridge space" card at this time of Wii's cycle is pointless. I bought a 8GB SD card and never looked back.

Heck, I have a 2gig card, and have never had a problem with space again. I purchase from WiiWare and VC pretty regularly too.

This will also be my first triple dip in gaming. I want these games portable, but I really want the console extras...so yea.

Yeah, the Wii's internal memory for WiiWare games is 256 MB. So even a 1 GB SD card would be an amazing addition to the Wii.

And... if you have a 3DS, you have a 2 GB SD card.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
ElectricBlanketFire said:
In theory, you COULD fill up the entire 20 page SD card menu (it is 20 pages isn't it?), but unlikely.
Getting close. I'm on page 15, IIRC.

Himself

2011 officially marks the most money I've spent on video games in a single year in my entire life. This looks awesome.

Chuckpebble

A better reason for not getting them on WiiWare is the console lock in thing. I stopped buying WiiWare/VC games shortly after my disk drive started acting up. I do have all of the available demos for these games though.

I bought Beat on Steam during the whole Portal 2 hullabaloo. Regret that. Just doesn't play nearly as well with a mouse.

Anyway, +1 on my wish list for the Wii version.

Famassu

Bleh, fuck you, why can't they both be the same game. 3DS is pretty much a portable Wii and it's not like these games would put either the hardware or the capacity of 3DS cards to their limits. :| I'd rather have these on 3DS.

OnPoint

Alex Neuse chats with Gamespot about the two titles coming up, completely in video form

Actually very interesting for fans

http://www.gamespot.com/3ds/puzzle/bittrip-saga/video/6323488/bittripping-with-alex-neuse

Famassu said:
Bleh, fuck you, why can't they both be the same game. 3DS is pretty much a portable Wii and it's not like these games would put either the hardware or the capacity of 3DS cards to their limits. :| I'd rather have these on 3DS.

Not sure if serious?

The base games are the same on both. It's just that the 3DS version gets 3D and the Wii version gets a bunch of extra content.

Famassu

OnPoint said:
Not sure if serious?

The base games are the same on both. It's just that the 3DS version gets 3D and the Wii version gets a bunch of extra content.
Well, yeah, maybe that kinda came out wrong/I didn't think it through, but I just meant 120 extra challenges is not "a bunch" or just a few exclusive levels/whatever, that's quite a lot of more content. I'd rather have a portable version I can play anywhere that had all the content the non-portable version has. 3DS should be capable of that. Having it in 3D is NOT going to replace more actual content. The 3DS version COULD have all that but it doesn't and I can't come up with a single good reason why it doesn't.

+ why can't the soundtrack sampler be included with the 3DS version too?

no one is concerned about these trippy games in 3d? there were times when it was hard enough to follow what was going on on-screen already, 3d bit trip beat in the higher modes (hyper maybe? its been a while) seems like it will make retinas detach.

NEO0MJ

arglebargle said:
no one is concerned about these trippy games in 3d? there were times when it was hard enough to follow what was going on on-screen already, 3d bit trip beat in the higher modes (hyper maybe? its been a while) seems like it will make retinas detach.

I'm counting on that =D!

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
It's very annoying that only the Wii version gets a significant amount of new content. I probably won't bother with either one now, because I can't make up my mind.

Grokbu

Hmm... I want it portable and I want to try it in 3D.
On the other hand. The Wii version has lots of extra content.
Hmm... Will probably start with the 3DS version and double dip down the line.

hope it gets enough marketing!

and ONLINE LEADERBOARD!

I may end up getting both!

It's very annoying that only the Wii version gets a significant amount of new content. I probably won't bother with either one now, because I can't make up my mind.
double dip!

CaVaYeRo

Shiggy said:
Any news about a PAL release?

European distributor will be announced soon. Not on time for September here.

BTW, I chatted with the awesome Alex Neuse again:

He says Gaijin Games are going to change their style a bit for their next project. That it will be surprising and even disappointing for a lot of people. Because they don't make retro games, "we make awesome games".

I got some other stuff. They're not abandoning CommanderVideo at all (no announcements for him yet though), music will take a huge part on their two new games...

Luigiv

CaVaYeRo said:
BTW, I chatted with the awesome Alex Neuse again:

He says Gaijin Games are going to change their style a bit for their next project. That it will be surprising and even disappointing for a lot of people. Because they don't make retro games, "we make awesome games".

I got some other stuff. They're not abandoning CommanderVideo at all (no announcements for him yet though), music will take a huge part on their two new games...
Next game a grey-brown shooter confirmed.

CaVaYeRo

arglebargle said:

They tried a very deep 3D effect and guy says it was awful, it didn't work with the separated elements. It confused their brains. They've opted for an elegant effect. I tried it by myself and it's light but cool, just a little touch. I think in these games you couldn't have anything deeper than this, since it's side scrolling, rhythm-sync games.

OnPoint

Famassu said:
Well, yeah, maybe that kinda came out wrong/I didn't think it through, but I just meant 120 extra challenges is not "a bunch" or just a few exclusive levels/whatever, that's quite a lot of more content. I'd rather have a portable version I can play anywhere that had all the content the non-portable version has. 3DS should be capable of that. Having it in 3D is NOT going to replace more actual content. The 3DS version COULD have all that but it doesn't and I can't come up with a single good reason why it doesn't.

+ why can't the soundtrack sampler be included with the 3DS version too?

Yeah, I see your point. I'm not quite sure why they splintered it this way... maybe just to get people to double dip? Or in my case triple... lol

Just imagined big 3d-pixel-art fish jumping over me in Bit Trip Runner on the 3DS and nearly wet myself.

The soundtrack was awesome in these games as well, so the soundtrack CD and extra content of the Wii version sounds good too...

I'll definitely buy one or the other. Hard games though... very tough!

Both day one, even though I already own .Beat, .Runner and .Fate!

Runner is so amazing! It's like a visualization of the part of my brain that menorizes video game patterns!

I finally made up my mind. I'll buy the 3DS version for all my first playthroughs and if I like it alot I'll double dip for the Wii version.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I haven't played these games, but I always got the impression from the videos I'd seen that it's really hard to tell the background apart from the foreground. Like you'll have dots flying across the screen but there's so much trippy shit going on that it all blurs together and you can't tell what you're supposed to be actually interacting with.

POINT BEING, 3D sounds like it might be the best thing they could possibly do to the series. It could be an example of a game that suddenly becomes much more playable with the effect on. As such, 3DS version is definitely on my radar now. I don't really need the "more content" for the Wii version when there's like six games in there I've never played, that's more content than I bet I'll ever play anyway.

OnPoint

Tathanen said:
I haven't played these games, but I always got the impression from the videos I'd seen that it's really hard to tell the background apart from the foreground. Like you'll have dots flying across the screen but there's so much trippy shit going on that it all blurs together and you can't tell what you're supposed to be actually interacting with.

POINT BEING, 3D sounds like it might be the best thing they could possibly do to the series. It could be an example of a game that suddenly becomes much more playable with the effect on. As such, 3DS version is definitely on my radar now. I don't really need the "more content" for the Wii version when there's like six games in there I've never played, that's more content than I bet I'll ever play anyway.

The only time this was an issue for me was with the purple beats in the original Bit.Trip BEAT. They later patched it and changed the color. It's rarely if ever an issue, scout's honor.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
OnPoint said:
The only time this was an issue for me was with the purple beats in the original Bit.Trip BEAT. They later patched it and changed the color. It's rarely if ever an issue, scout's honor.
Bit.Trip.Void had some annoying problems with this as well.

OnPoint

The_Technomancer said:
Bit.Trip.Void had some annoying problems with this as well.

All of the beats were white. While it does cause problems -- not knowing which ones are bouncy beats vs regular types kind of stuff -- the backgrounds never detracted from my ability to tell what I should or shouldn't be going after.

alex neuse is probably the most responsive developer i know of. he will comment on any review, no matter how small the site, and reply to just about any inquiry. seems like a cool guy and its awesome that he is so excited by his games.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
When the fuck is September 13rd?

eXistor

The Wii version may have more content, but I'm still getting the 3DS version instead. Both seem great though.

zigg

@MUWANdo said:
512MB, actually.

Nope, 256 MiB. The system has 512 MiB of storage but it's divided roughly in half between system software and user storage (saves, downloadable software.)

I'm seriously considering SAGA. I only bought a couple of the WiiWare titles--frankly, I don't get much console time anymore--but 3DS would work out, I think, and it sounds like the controls are working out well. I hope they work out much better than that awful iOS BIT.TRIP BEAT port, anyway... I was shocked at how poorly that game controlled.

Top Bottom