• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bit.Trip Saga (3DS) and Complete (Wii) |OT| of T minus 1-Day and Zero Hype

dallow_bg

nods at old men
TheMissingLink said:
Holy cow! $40 for the 3DS version!? I'm sorry, I own half the games already, I can't justify paying that price :(
Same price as Wii yet missing the bonus content.... (and online leaderboards.... will the friends list ever be utilized?)

I may wait as well.

jgkspsx

$40 for the 3DS version seems on par with other 3DS games. I think the standard price for 3DS should be $30, but, you know.

$40 for the Wii, considering that the Bit.Trip games are some of the best sellers on the service and potential customers may already own them, is asking too much. But I want that soundtrack :\

Dunno what I'm going to do about these. At this point, it looks like "wait and hope that they do not turn out to be collectors' items", but that seems unwise...

Edit:
Runner is probably the best game on WiiWare, and Beat and Core are excellent (but too unforgiving for my tastes). I bought Void and could never get into it. The other two's demos left me totally cold. I guess I will wait for discounts, if they ever come.

Thoraxes

AbsoluteZero said:
You in the US? Target has a deal where you can buy Starfox 64 and get a second 3DS game for 50% off. Buy Starfox & Bit Trip from Target with that deal and then take the sealed copy of Starfox back to your original retailer.
I'm actually doing this... Except i'm also buying Bit.Trip Saga.

DarkWish

Thoraxes said:
I'm actually doing this... Except i'm also buying Bit.Trip Saga.
I've heard people say they were skeptical that Target would carry Bit.Trip Saga... is there any reason to worry? I was gonna do the same deal too. Also, if the game is releasing on the 13th... is that like its ship date or street date? I'm wondering cause sometimes that means stores don't actually sell the game until that Wednesday, which would be the 14th.

OnPoint

I bumped the other thread to try and get some hype going. Tough crowd haha

I'll be picking both versions up eventually despite already owning and beating the WiiWare library. These games deserve the support.

Why would you do that? said:
I've played Beat, Core, Void (demo), Runner, Fate (demo), and I think Flux (demo). I order the series like this:

Core
Runner
Beat
Flux
Void
Fate

Core's my absolute favorite, though. Beat and Flux are good, but they don't feel... I guess the right word is "tangible" to me. It just feels like I'm moving a paddle back and forth. Core feels tangible, as I actually have to hit the buttons to my actions.

Void seems weird, but I liked what I played.

Your list is close to mine. I liked them like this:

Core
Beat
Runner
Flux
Fate
Void

uncleslappy

nethack is my favorite dark souls clone
Bit.Trip Runner was one of my favorite 2D Platformers ever. It was damn hard, but so engrossing. Watch out for Level 3-10. It will ruin your life. It effected me so deeply that I wrote a letter to the CEO of the company, copied below.

Hello,

Let me say right off the bat, screw you for making level 3-10 in Bit.Trip Runner.

It was by far the HARDEST video game level I have ever played. I spent over five hours on that level alone. Many an F bomb were dropped and many a Wiimote were spiked. Many a Power Button were pushed in a rage quit.

On the other hand, the fact that I would spend that long on a single 90 second level speaks volumes about the care and design that you put into this game. As frustrating as it is at some points, I am absolutely in love with Bit.Trip Runner. Thank you for developing such an excellent, creative title. You guys deserve all the praise you're getting for this game - it is well deserved and I have recommended it to everyone I know who owns a Wii.

Just please don't ever make me play 3-10 ever again.

He actually wrote me back within a couple days, which made me love that team all the more. I also reviewed the iPad version of Bit.Trip Beat here.

wrowa

Edit: HOLY FUCK, not again.

Go on, there's nothing to see here. I just shouldn't be using that quick reply button of the Chrome plug-in, it isn't doing me good, lol.

Kerub

Banned
wrowa said:
Edit: HOLY FUCK, not again.

Go on, there's nothing to see here. I just shouldn't be using that quick reply button of the Chrome plug-in, it isn't doing me good, lol.

Why, good work fine sir.

Nessus

So by difficulty settings, do they mean that Bit.Trip Beat might be possible for humans to finish now?

Do the 3DS versions get difficulty settings too?

Runner is amazing, and somewhat tempted to get it on 3DS for portability, but I'm worried because the music is such an integral part of the gameplay, I guess I'd have to use headphones.

Nessus said:
I'm worried because the music is such an integral part of the gameplay, I guess I'd have to use headphones.

Shit I don't have decent headphones, and in most 3DS games is really low (via speakers or headphones)... I guess I'll be hooking it up to my stereo system though the headphone jack to pump up the oomph.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
I have my wallet here ready for both, waiting patiently in PAL land.

DarkWish said:
I've heard people say they were skeptical that Target would carry Bit.Trip Saga... is there any reason to worry? I was gonna do the same deal too. Also, if the game is releasing on the 13th... is that like its ship date or street date? I'm wondering cause sometimes that means stores don't actually sell the game until that Wednesday, which would be the 14th.
Yeah, I'm still worried about this too. We'll know soon enough either way. The promotion lasts until the 17th, so it doesn't matter whether the game comes out on the 13th or 14th.

Guess I will have to buy Bit Trip Saga via Amazon, can't find it in any store here. Weird, because they stock Bit Trip Complete (which I'll get someday too!)

pvpness

I'm ready to (essentially) triple dip this bitch. RUNNER is one of the finest vintage platforming experiences I've had in a couple generations.

Looked at Target, didn't have it. I might check again later in the week, but if they don't carry it I'll have to cross my fingers and hope it gets a price drop before going out of print.

emb

Kinda wish they had only released one or the other. Having to make a choice there makes it less likely for me to buy.

Really would like another 3DS game, and to have this portable, but the extra features of the Wii version sound worth it. These started out on Wii right? And this is the first retail release? Yeah, getting the Wii version I think. Kinda hyped!

Amazon product page says "Usually ships in 2 to 4 weeks"

My order status says "Deliver estimate: September 16"

Hmm, seems like a limited quantity release?

Edit: Amazon now says "8 to 9 days"... what's going on??

The Gamestop near my house hasn't even heard of the game. It's not in their systems. It's not on their list of shipments. It might as well not even exist. Same with Best buy. The BB guy pretty much said "BUH?" when I asked about the game.

Canada, BTW. Fuck, how many 3DS games are there that I don't even know about because GS/BB only stock seven games? My fault for not shopping online, but Amazon.ca is terrible.

Added the below to OP.

3DS version features:

Improved graphics making use of the hardware's pixel shader capabilities
Stylus control
Some re-worked art assets, effects, alternate color schemes and new visual details.
No multiplayer

And selected quotes from Desctructoid review

Destructoid said:
Both a love letter to videogames, and a bold experiment in gameplay as storytelling, the Bit.Trip series is a truly unique, expertly crafted force in gaming today.

I'm hoping that more people will find out for themselves how amazing Bit.Trip is now that all the games in the series have been compiled for the 3DS and Wii at retail.

If you like Guitar Hero, Rhythm Heaven, and/or Parappa the Rapper, you need to try this series out. If you like any games from the Atari 2600 era, you need to play this series. If you like Vib Ribbon, Rez, Child of Eden, or Super Meat Boy, you need to play this series. If you like good videogames, you need to play this series.

Thankfully, the controls for each game in Bit.Trip SAGA are just as engrossing and intuitive as they were in their original WiiWare releseses. In fact, I imagine that some will even prefer the controls of some of the games here, particularly Bit.Trip BEAT, FATE, and FLUX. Using the stylus and the touch screen to control the action on the 3D top screen works just as well as the pointer and motion-based controls from the Wii games, while requiring more in the way of fine motor skills, and less physical dexterity among larger muscle groups. Thankfully, the stylus controls don't provide a clear advantage, and therefore don't diminish the challenge of either game. Before I forget, you can also use the analog nub to control BEAT and FLUX.

The other big new feature here is the graphics. Of course, the games are presented with glasses-free 3D, and it looks great.[...] Some of the backgrounds there could give Child of Eden a run for their money. They are totally mind blowing, especially in 3D.

In fact, there are tons of little changes like that to be found in all the games on Bit.Trip SAGA. All the titles here needed to be recreated from the ground up, and Gaijin Games took the opportunity to tweak the visuals here and there, while taking advantage of some of the consoles superior processes, such as the 3DSs capacity for per-pixel lighting.

These little changes can be found in every game. The fog effects in CORE are gone now, which allows you to get a much closer look at the game's intricate backgrounds (which again, look amazing in 3D). FATE has some new animations, and the majority of the enemies now have a glossy, new car sheen. VOID has some alternate color schemes and some new background graphics, FLUX appears to have brighter, more saturated colors, and tons of new little detials. The sky in the first stage of RUNNER is now more blue than purple. The list of changes, both big and small, goes on and on. Some of these changes are clear improvements, some of them are just differences, but they are all worth checking out for true Bit.Trip fanatics.

Sadly, it's not all good news for SAGA. The multi-player options are completely gone, which is a major blow. Only five out of the original six games had multi-player in the first place, so those of you buying this game just for RUNNER probably won't notice, but as someone who's hooked many a skeptic into the Bit.Trip series by tempting them with some four player BEAT sessions or two player CORE and VOID run throughs, the loss of multi-player is major.

I didn't even know the WiiWare versions had multiplayer... gonna check how that worked on youtube, have a hard time wrapping my head around it.

dvolovets said:
Has anybody managed to find this? I placed an order on Amazon but it says "ships within 8-9 days"...
Not at Gamestop. I wanted to get Saga but nope they are not anywhere!

Hopefully tomorrow. If not tomorrow then I guess I'll wait two weeks before I get enough money and get it off of Amazon...if Amazon's selling it(all the money I have is on GS credit. $105 pretty cool that they allow tradeins on old iPods!)

Phatcorns

Definitely going to pick this up if Target gets it while the Starfox promotion is going on. Otherwise, I'll probably just hope for a price drop. I own Beat and Runner and love them both but never beat either. Actually have Void too, but didn't like it. I know I'll like the last one (Fate I think?) but don't have that yet, so definitely excited to play it.

Here's hoping they get it.

Went to K-Mart to try and pick this up with my 15 dollar coupon from Star Fox, but they haven't received it. Walked next door to Wal-Mart and they didn't have it either. Blah.

JacksUsername said:
Went to K-Mart to try and pick this up with my 15 dollar coupon from Star Fox, but they haven't received it. Walked next door to Wal-Mart and they didn't have it either. Blah.
Crossing my fingers that places get it in tomorrow. Though if GS isn't even stocking it, I don't see how there's any hope for Target. My local GS only got a few copies of Devil Survivor, and I live in my state's capital a mile from a school campus. If GS isn't even carrying this I wonder how many copies they're producing.

Thoraxes

FYI, I have a relative that works for Target.
She asked the guys in electronics and they looked at their shipment lists of games they're getting with release dates, and this game is not on it.

YMMV at other ones, but I can tell you that mine definitely isn't getting it ever.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I wasn't planning on picking up Saga right away, but if the print is going to be small.. and only a few places carrying it..

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Hm, I think I'm just going to order on Amazon. Should be here by the weekend, playing it interstitialy with Xenoblade should be a nice contrast.

Wolfe

Yeah the gamestop I went to today didn't have it in and the girl said none of the nearby ones did either. She seemed more confused than I was since her computer said it would be out on the 13th.

Someone in Amazon discussion posted:

I tweeted at Aksys and they said it will be listed on their online store this Friday. They said a lot of retailers may not have received their shipments yet. It is now available and in stock at gamestop.com also

OnPoint

Wolfe said:
Yeah the gamestop I went to today didn't have it in and the girl said none of the nearby ones did either. She seemed more confused than I was since her computer said it would be out on the 13th.

Yep, same here. After convincing the store clerks that it wasn't a downloadable game they found it in the system (I had to tell them the publisher was Aksys).

This is a shame. I feel like it's going to hurt the game's success somewhat.

Also, I wish game store employees were knowledgeable.

NewFresh

Will stop by after school today. Hop to not run into problems with it

Also games have been getting solid scores all around

OP Update 2:

GameTrailers review of COMPLETE (8.5): http://www.gametrailers.com/video/review-pod-bit-trip-complete/720642

Destructoid Review of COMPLETE (10): http://www.destructoid.com/review-bit-trip-complete-211223.phtml

Destructoid said:
Of course, you get all six original Bit.Trip games in their entirety, but along with that comes a separate soundtrack disc that includes all eighteen main songs from the series. These tracks aren't just quick, thirty-second samples, either. They are special remixes of each song: loyal to the original compositions, but with a slightly condensed arrangement (to keep each song from being fifteen minutes long) with the occasional in-game sound effect added to make things feel legit. I'd be willing to pay at least $15 for this CD alone, so to have it thrown in for free feels almost too good to be true.

Then you have the bonus content present on the game disc. First up, each stage from each game now has its own online leaderboard. On top of that, each game now has three selectable difficulty levels with individual leaderboards to make 100 in total. No matter who you are, you might have a chance at making it to the top 20 on at least one of them... with practice.
[...]
There are eight additional songs, twelve videos, eighteen pieces of concept art, and six letters to fans explaining the symbolism behind the games.

All of those features are plenty nice, but the real stars of Bit.Trip Complete are the all-new challenges. Each game now features 20 new mini-levels, making for 120 new challenges in all. Each batch of 20 is about as long as one of the games' standard "worlds," which effectively means that about one-fourth of the level design on this compilation is new. Other companies would have made these challenges paid DLC, but with Bit.Trip Complete, you actually get to play the new stuff for free.

[...]

Final Verdict:10/10
Flawless Victory

EGM Review of COMPLETE (8.5): http://www.egmnow.com/articles/reviews/egm-review-bit-trip-complete/

Wolfe

And gamestops website still says no stores within a 100 mile radius have this, I'll have to call up a few of the local places to see if they've gotten copies yet.

Top Bottom