• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bit.Trip Saga (3DS) and Complete (Wii) |OT| of T minus 1-Day and Zero Hype

I was DEAD set on getting this for 3DS....but now I'm almost completely convinced not to get it.

It would be such a nice pick up and play game that I desperately need for the 3DS :(

Squall5042 said:
I was DEAD set on getting this for 3DS....but now I'm almost completely convinced not to get it.

It would be such a nice pick up and play game that I desperately need for the 3DS :(

I know! Right?? :(

This has been my most anticipated 3DS game for MONTHS, and will remain so until November. What a punch in a face.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
I'm fairly sure that I preordered both of these from Amazon some time ago, and I'm almost just as sure that they haven't shipped yet! Let me check on my order...

Glix

Naked Snake said:
Glix, how does the game sound on 3DS? Do you find the volume low? Have you played with headphones?

I've mostly played with headphones and it sounded great. Through the speakers seemed passable, but I was at work and its hard to tell. EDIT - Okay I just checked it out. The sound is fine, as long as you realize that nothing sounds great coming out of a Nintendo handheld. Most people would ONLY use headphones for a game like this, same as Superbros on IOS. The volume is a little low, but here, in my relatively quiet apartment, it was fine.

To those of you thinking of canceling your pre-orders... The game is still sweet sweet bit.trip action. Just having it in portable form is great. Yeah 40 is a little steep, especially with the 3D sucking so much, but I have no buyers remorse, as I now have the whole bit.trip series, including the amazing, incredible, wonderful bit.trip.runner in portable form.

I can't believe he knocks the sound but not the framerate.

I'm normally not even a framerate whore, but if you are playing and go from 2d to 3d while playing its SO noticeable.

Doorman

Despite the negative impressions, I'm still considering the 3DS build...partially because my 3DS has been mostly-dead since shortly after launch, being able to take a game like this anywhere would be helpful, and frankly because I picture the controls for Beat and Flux to work in my favor. I've always struggled a little bit with Beat on Wii because it requires you to tilt the controller so quickly and so precisely, and it got kind of tiring.

The extra challenges in Complete sound nice as a check-box, but somehow I get the feeling that I won't actually see most of them, let alone complete them. :p

Well after the poor impressions maybe I won't get Saga. That a shame to since I was really looking forward to the 3D effect and portableness. Or maybe I'll get it later (if its available at this rate) i only bought Beat and Core. Maybe I should get the Wii version but I know Ide hardly ever play it on a home console...I rarely play home consoles now except for exclusive RPGs that are'nt on handhelds lol.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
I'd double dip (I own .Beat on Wii, iPad x2, PC) but I guess I'll have to stop at Complete for now.

Between this and Pinball Hall of Fame the lack of region-free 3DS is already fuckin' pissing me off to no end!
Why won't an european publisher like 505 or Rising Star pick it? C'mon guys!

Anyway, super bullshit decision that of not making the 3DS version ad full featured as the Wii one.
fail at the OP for lack of mentioning the online leaderboards (finally!) which is a BIG DEAL given the nature of the games.

Dash Kappei

Glix said:
I picked this up at Gamestop on my lunch break.

Portable Bit.Trip is freaking awesome, but the performance in 3D mode is AWFUL, and frankly, this engine can't be very taxing on the hardware, and there is NO EXCUSE for lazy programming.

Most of the games are completely unplayable in 3D

Also the paddle games are completely unplayable with the slide pad, it is not calibrated correctly and there is no options menu to fix it.

I am extremely disappointed with Gaijin and Aksys. EXTREMELY.
NOOOOOOoooooo!!!

FUCK NO, NONONONO! :'<

At this point I hope that if a pub ever pick it up for EU then it's going to be somehow fixed, likd ot (rarely) happened for some DS games before.

Dash Kappei said:
fail at the OP for lack of mentioning the online leaderboards (finally!) which is a BIG DEAL given the nature of the games.

Thanks for pointing that out, I've added it. There are 2 X 6 games X many new features, and I'm not very familiar with them to begin with so it's hard to keep track.

Clunker

These are not the kinds of bumps I was looking forward to. (._. )

The 3D effect being naff, I can deal with (I'm really not a fan of the 3D effect in general, at least in any non-turn-based game), but potential audio downgrades and control problems are pretty major boner-killers.

Amir0x

Banned
Glix said:
I picked this up at Gamestop on my lunch break.

Portable Bit.Trip is freaking awesome, but the performance in 3D mode is AWFUL, and frankly, this engine can't be very taxing on the hardware, and there is NO EXCUSE for lazy programming.

Most of the games are completely unplayable in 3D

Also the paddle games are completely unplayable with the slide pad, it is not calibrated correctly and there is no options menu to fix it.

I am extremely disappointed with Gaijin and Aksys. EXTREMELY.

haha totally not a problem for me. Bought!

Clunker said:
These are not the kinds of bumps I was looking forward to. (._. )

The 3D effect being naff, I can deal with (I'm really not a fan of the 3D effect in general, at least in any non-turn-based game), but potential audio downgrades and control problems are pretty major boner-killers.
I don't think the audio is downgraded per say, technically it should be identical. But the tiny speakers on any handheld will always pale next to home theater audio or even TV speakers. If you have decent headphones it shouldn't be an issue. Or if you don't mind hooking it up to your audio system, which I intend to do at least once.

As for controls, that's subjective I think. None of the reviews complained about the controls, some even said they worked better for some people (touchscreen that is, not slidepad. The latter shouldn't even be considered an option).

It's the borked 3D that's the boner killer.

LOCK

I still don't know if I should get the 3DS or Wii version. Its so hard to make a decision.

Edit- Reading the second page I guess it will be the Wii version!

I confirmed my 3DS order, reminding myself that this is a kickass rythm game, and remembering that the most fun I had on DS was with Elite Beat Agents, it became a no-brainer to get this. Weaker performance in 3D isn't going to stop me from enjoying it.

I think I'm gonna get both when they drop to $20 each...

I would like to support the and buy both games at full price, but right now I'm paying a wedding.

=(

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Naked Snake said:
I confirmed my 3DS order, reminding myself that this is a kickass rythm game, and remembering that the most fun I had on DS was with Elite Beat Agents, it became a no-brainer to get this. Weaker performance in 3D isn't going to stop me from enjoying it.
Have you played any of them before? I can't tell from your post.

The_Technomancer said:
Have you played any of them before? I can't tell from your post.

I briefly played BEAT and loved it, but found it a bit hard and felt the tilt controls added to the challenge. I also tried playing the second and third games (Core and Void?) and found them considerably more difficult than BEAT. All in all I've played them for less than an hour, combined.

I don't play on consoles anymore, so the chance to play them on a portable a game changer, and the touchscreen controls might actually work better for me.

Naked Snake said:
I briefly played BEAT and loved it, but found it a bit hard and felt the tilt controls added to the challenge. I also tried playing the second and third games (Core and Void?) and found them considerably more difficult than BEAT. All in all I've played them for less than an hour, combined.

I don't play on consoles anymore, so the chance to play them on a portable a game changer, and the touchscreen controls might actually work better for me.

Core is my absolutely favorite. It seems difficult at first, but once you play for a couple of hours, it just click and it becomes something natural.

This review is describes perfectly how I feel about Core:

http://www.destructoid.com/review-bit-trip-core-138921.phtml

Fernando Rocker said:
Core is my absolutely favorite. It seems difficult at first, but once you play for a couple of hours, it just click and it becomes something natural.

This review is describes perfectly how I feel about Core:

http://www.destructoid.com/review-bit-trip-core-138921.phtml

That's why I'm excited to play them on 3DS, I should be able to put more time and get better at them. I know it's a very different type of game, but I managed to finish Elite Beat Agent on the second-highest difficulty and it was one of my favorite gaming experiences in the past decade, (in contrast my friends were unable to progress in that game at all)... So I'm hoping for a similar type of challenge/reward with Bit.Trip, which I find more attractive aesthetically than EBA.

Naked Snake said:
That's why I'm excited to play them on 3DS, I should be able to put more time and get better at them. I know it's a very different type of game, but I managed to finish Elite Beat Agent on the second-highest difficulty and it was one of my favorite gaming experiences in the past decade, (in contrast my friends were unable to progress in that game at all)... So I'm hoping for a similar type of challenge/reward with Bit.Trip, which I find more attractive aesthetically than EBA.

If you liked Elite Beat Agents, keep an eye on Theatrhythm. It's a Final Fantasy themed rhythm game.

Watch this video (the real music gameplay starts at 00:38).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKi9Z7Axyog

Yeah I've been following the game since it was announced and I saw that video. A bit too slow paced for my liking, but I'm sure it's just the super easy part.

Glix

So the guy on Amazon complaining about the volume probably has the 3DS set to SURROUND. It is not as loud as Stereo.

Also I may have slightly overreacted. I am changing my description of 3D mode from "unplayable" to "janky as hell"

Wolfe

Maybe I'll see if my local gamestop lets my try out the unboxed copy (for the display box) once they finally get it in, if I can't get an actual hands on impression I'm going to hold off.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
The_Technomancer said:
Core was always the hardest to me. I've never even beaten the third level if I'm being honest. Hell these days I'm so out of practice I can't get past this part:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GY1bKlCNHis&t=4m15s

I think that's as far as I ever got, haha.

In these types of games I think it helps to rely more on rhythm the than visual feed... It sure helped me in EBA in the really tough levels, I'd conciously ignore what my brain is telling me it sees, and just tap to my memory of the song's beat.

Glix

The game doesn't tell you this, but you can use R to kick in Runner.

Its much better than Y.

When the rest of y'all get the game, let me know how many times you fail bonus levels because you have to hit A to continue on the score screen, and then you go into the bonus level hitting A to jump but in actuality it's B to jump :( It's happened to me at least 3 times already.

So I still really want this for 3DS. Does anyone else have impressions other than Glix? I see a few posts from him and everyone going "oh shit no way in hell am I buying this," and then I see some impressions from major sites that say it's pretty decent, nowhere near as critical.

Any other opinions?

UncleSporky said:
So I still really want this for 3DS. Does anyone else have impressions other than Glix? I see a few posts from him and everyone going "oh shit no way in hell am I buying this," and then I see some impressions from major sites that say it's pretty decent, nowhere near as critical.

Any other opinions?
Nintendolife gave it a 7/10, mainly due to the crap performance in 3D (and they also said there were minor performance issues in 2D). They gave the Wii version a 9.

nincompoop said:
Nintendolife gave it a 7/10, mainly due to the crap performance in 3D (and they also said there were minor performance issues in 2D). They gave the Wii version a 9.

I just read their review, and to me it seemed that they scored it lower mainly due to the lack of extra content that the Wii version got.

Bit Trip Complete (Wii), Bit Trip Saga (3DS). iPhone 4 is for work - replaces my old Berry.

Are these games both supposedly, already rare based on Aksys niche title(s) and presummed low 1st (only?) print run? The GS a got them from received 1 of each which you see here. I don't even have a 3DS yet.

bittrip_iphone4.jpg

Doorman

I tried checking around my local stores, the only thing near me here that had any of the games was a Gamestop with a single copy of Saga, and that was the already-opened "store display" version.

After vowing previously that I'd never be swindled by their "new" game sales of that nature again, I sadly had to leave empty-handed. I'll be elsewhere tomorrow and the hunt will be back on, although I'm still not completely sold on which version I'd rather have.

Silkworm

I just ordered a copy of Complete from Deepdiscount.com since all this talk of scarcity was starting to worry me (originally was holding out for some sort of price slash). Still, $36 (free shipping, no tax) isn't too bad which is $4 less than what Amazon is currently charging :)

Mista Koo

I only liked Runner but wanted to get the 3DS version because it's portable and to support them.

Is there a chance they'll fix it somehow?

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Game Rogue said:
Are these games both supposedly, already rare based on Aksys niche title(s) and presummed low 1st (only?) print run?
Abound in Europe.

Futureman

I would love to see a developer response regarding the 3D slowdown. Someone should ask on their FB or Twitter. They are small enough to most likely give us a response, right?

TehOh

I never got around to playing these games on the Wii, but I picked up the 3DS collection from Amazon.

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE these games. Especially Runner. This game is amazing.

I really like the 3D. It gives a great sense of depth. I haven't played a ton yet, but I haven't noticed any obvious slowdown.

The sound also seems just fine coming from the speakers. I don't get the complaints. Where are people playing this game that they can't hear the sound? A construction site?

OnPoint

Picked up the wii version at Gamestop - was the only one within like 50 miles.

I might hunt down the 3ds one just to have it.

The challenges are pretty damned hard.

Dash Kappei

Futureman said:
I would love to see a developer response regarding the 3D slowdown. Someone should ask on their FB or Twitter. They are small enough to most likely give us a response, right?
C'mon digisocial gaffers, do it

Ah, a friend got the 3DS game yesterday, and I played it for a little in 2D mode... Well, I only played Beat. I should have checked this thread, as I would have checked the 3D performance in the game.

But from what I played, I had zero problems.

mollipen

Glix said:

I can't even imagine why you'd be using the slide pad for those games. Stylus control for them is awesome, to the point where I much preferred it over tilting the Wiimote for the Wii versions.

shidoshi said:
I can't even imagine why you'd be using the slide pad for those games. Stylus control for them is awesome, to the point where I much preferred it over tilting the Wiimote for the Wii versions.
is Saga in 3D really that bad?

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Futureman said:
I can easily imagine a possible version of their response: as the port was done with minimal resources, they did not redo some of the assets that might have needed a redux. As a result the game is running with wii assets, verbatim. Why would that be a problem? If some of the original assets were not fully optimised that might have not been a problem on the wii, but becomes one on the 3DS in 2x mode.

Wolfe

Well I bit the bullet and just ordered it off amazon as it now says it's in stock there. I'll post up some impressions later in the week.

Top Bottom