• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bit.Trip Saga (3DS) and Complete (Wii) |OT| of T minus 1-Day and Zero Hype

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Mega Man's Electric Sheep said:
Amazon.ca just e-mailed me "we're still trying to get the item you ordered. We'll e-mail you when we're shipping it"

I guess no Bit.Trip Saga for me. :(
Amazon.ca sent me that email too, only I ordered Complete.

It's lame.

My copy is supposed to be here Tuesday (3DS version). I'm pretty excited, the only one I've played is Beat on the iPhone and I really liked it. I also really like the "running" genre of games (Cannabalt, Robot Unicorn Attack, etc) and I can tell just by watching videos that I'll love Runner. Sucks the 3D performance apparently sucks but I'm still getting 5 games I've never played that I'm pretty convinced I'll love for $40, so I'm not that bummed out.

DustinC

I'm not sure why people think the 3D mode is so busted. There's a small drop in framerate, but it's hardly unplayable. You'd think the game crawls at 5fps the way a few folks are making it sound, which is hardly the case. I don't disagree that the visuals can get a little hard to read in 3D, but the framerate isn't a massive problem. It certainly doesn't impact the timing, I can make all jumps in Runner and have no issue with Flux and so on.

Also, no way in hell should you be using the slide pad when you have an option to use the stylus. The stylus controls are awesome. I get that the stylus might not be comfortable for people, and yeah the slide pad is waaaay too touchy, but stylus is where it's at. It's actually made me enjoy Flux and Beat even more than I did on the Wii.

DustinC said:
I'm not sure why people think the 3D mode is so busted. There's a small drop in framerate, but it's hardly unplayable. You'd think the game crawls at 5fps the way a few folks are making it sound, which is hardly the case. I don't disagree that the visuals can get a little hard to read in 3D, but the framerate isn't a massive problem. It certainly doesn't impact the timing, I can make all jumps in Runner and have no issue with Flux and so on.
Some of us have actual standards and therefore prefer to play games at better than PSX-era framerates.

DustinC

nincompoop said:
Some of us have actual standards and therefore prefer to play games at better than PSX-era framerates.

I'm not saying the drop in framerate isn't disappointing, but it's a far cry from unplayable. I can run through Core in 3D the same way I can run through it in 2D. The slight drop in framerate doesn't instantly turn the game to shit.

Also, I'm not sure what PSX-era framerates are supposed to be. There's PSX, N64, and Saturn titles that could do 60fps.

d0c_zaius said:
Tobal 2 was 60 frames guy.
99% of console games from that era were 30 fps or lower. Point is that just because games are technically playable at 30 fps, we shouldn't be any more accepting of them today than we would be of any other functional but inarguably inferior conventions used by games from bygone eras.

I had no idea this came out. I checked a few gamestops/Targets while out and about this weekend and was surprised that these gamestops didnt have it in stock. One told me I was wrong about its release date because "they get everything". Finally decided to use the store locater feature and a local gamestop (Alhambra, CA) had a copy. If this is going to be rare, I should pick up the Wii one too.

I only tried Beat on the 3DS, but man is the 3D depth is kinda distracting. This is a young man's eyes game. I didn't find it to be unplayable as some have stated above. I will agree with Glix on the slider's calibration, it forced me to use my stylus, which i'm okay with since the games I own on 3DS don't require me to use the stylus. It made it feel like a true DS experience.

I'm happy with my purchase and to be able to support them, I absolutely loved Runner on Steam, so I'm glad to have all these games in one package.

Maybe they realized that the 3D busts up the framerate and very quietly recalled the game. Can't think of any other reason why I can't fucking find it anywhere. Oh well, their loss. More time for Kirby and Gears.

My copy should be here tomorrow. Can't wait!

Infinitemadness said:
it forced me to use my stylus, which i'm okay with since the games I own on 3DS don't require me to use the stylus. It made it feel like a true DS experience.

This gave me a warm and fuzzy feeling. I miss the "DS experience" :)

DustinC

nincompoop said:
99% of console games from that era were 30 fps or lower. Point is that just because games are technically playable at 30 fps, we shouldn't be any more accepting of them today than we would be of any other functional but inarguably inferior conventions used by games from bygone eras.

It's not really a bygone era considering most current-gen console titles run at 30fps. There are definitely more this era that can run 60fps, but there are way more really great titles that don't. I'm happy I can still enjoy them, I'm sorry that you can't.

Giantbomb posted an excellent hands on video for Saga

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b75Q2kFxPAA

It's 30 minutes long, direct-feed, with commentary. They go through all six games and occasionally toggle 3D on and off to show the framerate hit. I wasn't really able to see it most of the time (except maybe in Fate). Could be due to the video being 30fps to begin with. They also show how bad the slidepad is.

First time I see Flux. Man, what a pretty looking and beautiful sounding game. I got emotional from the gorgeousness.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, no 3DS here. But I bought runner on the mac app store this morning. My first bit.trip since beat and core.

Its good, but jesus christ is it unrelenting. Maybe thats because I'm going for 100% golds though. But HOLY FUCKING SHIT, I actually slammed my 360 controller against a wall after about the 100th try on 1-11. UGH, I haven't let a game get to me like this in years.

I think how emotional I got speaks to just how good of a thing Gaijin has going for it with the bit.trip saga. But seriously, fuck this game.
love this game

Glix

DustinC said:

Also, no way in hell should you be using the slide pad when you have an option to use the stylus. The stylus controls are awesome. I get that the stylus might not be comfortable for people, and yeah the slide pad is waaaay too touchy, but stylus is where it's at. It's actually made me enjoy Flux and Beat even more than I did on the Wii.

A number of things to address.

1. This game is almost akin to a rhythm game, like Guitar Hero. The crappy framerate CERTAINLY affects timing.

2. Sure you can use the stylus IF you have a table to put the 3DS on, AND it is awesome. BUT, it is just an example of how cheaply this game was made. WHY include the slide pad controls if they are completely busted, and can't be calibrated. The fix (holding a modifier button when you want to have finer (slower) control is painfully obvious. The fact that they shipped a game with a busted control option just shows what a rushed out, slap in the face port this is.

I don't want anyone to get the wrong idea. I LOVE this game. I play it in 2D and it hasn't left my 3DS since I bought it. However, I don't play in 3D mode, and I'm extremely disappointed in how obviously rushed this was. When you consider that they KNEW it was mostly hardcore double-dippers (hence the super-limited print run) it is REALLY insulting.

NEO0MJ

Glix said:
A number of things to address.

1. This game is almost akin to a rhythm game, like Guitar Hero. The crappy framerate CERTAINLY affects timing.

I've only played runner for now and am still at world 1(close to finishing it, though) and I don't really get the rhythm thing.
Also, the game suffers from slowdown even in 2D mode.

Just got my copy of Bit.Trip Complete and I have one minor criticism to make about the packaging. The typeface used for "EXCLUSIVE NEW CONTENT" as well those used on the back look cheap, like some bootleg CD cover printed at home. The print quality doesn't help matters, as the text on the back is a little pixelated and the paper feels like slightly thinner stock than I'm used to.

Of course this won't get in the way of what I'm sure will be an amazing experience, but it's an issue I hope Aksys won't repeat in future releases.

OnPoint

Jtwo said:
Yeah, no 3DS here. But I bought runner on the mac app store this morning. My first bit.trip since beat and core.

Its good, but jesus christ is it unrelenting. Maybe thats because I'm going for 100% golds though. But HOLY FUCKING SHIT, I actually slammed my 360 controller against a wall after about the 100th try on 1-11. UGH, I haven't let a game get to me like this in years.

I think how emotional I got speaks to just how good of a thing Gaijin has going for it with the bit.trip saga. But seriously, fuck this game.
love this game

Had the chance to "call Alex Neuse out" on 1-11 in an interview at PAX Prime '10. His answer was satisfactory to me haha

EG: With RUNNER, what happened with level 1-11? It’s infamously difficult, everybody who has played the game I’ve seen online, when they talk about the game, they all get stuck at 1-11 for a period of time. Personally I cruised through pretty much the rest of the game, except for I think 3-9 or 3-10 got me.

AN: Yeah, those two are tough.

EG: But 1-11 stands out as that one that I’m like “Why is this so early in the game?” And I’m just curious about what happened there.

AN: Yeah, I hear ya on that, and I think there’s a couple answers. One, we’re making these games very very fast, so if I had spent a little bit more time focusing on difficulty ramping I might have changed how long that level was.

But the reason it’s so long, because it’s not super difficult it’s just difficult to do all that stuff correctly one after the other after the other.

EG: Right, absolutely.

AN: The length is what it is. And I did it that way because I wanted to basically make sure the player was ready for level two before they got to level two. So in retrospect, was it the right choice to make it so long? I’m not sure, but one of the cool things about it is that everyone talks about 1-11, and they go “One eleven!”, and a lot of people know the name of it because it’s called “Odyssey”, because it’s the longest one in the game.

People talk about it, and they get spazzy about it, they yell at me about it. It’s always in good spirits, so I kind of have mixed feelings about it. Is it wrong to do that, or is it right, or is it good or is it bad… I’m not so sure. It’s interesting to think about that.

EG: Well it was definitely a challenge to get through.

AN: That’s true.

EG: It was definitely fulfilling to actually finally finish it.

AN: Yeah, I hope that that’s how most people feel.

Full interview: http://www.extraguy.com/2010/10/interview-gaijin-games-ceo-alex-neuse/

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Jtwo said:

love this game
Push through it, because world 2, especially world 2-8 and on, is absolutely fantastic.

Was able to get this game tonight after a week of searching. Gamestop only got one copy in and I had that wonderful pleasure of buying an opened game as new, but since I feared I would never see this game at retail again, I went ahead and purchased.

Played Beat and Runner for a little while, but since I work at the computer all day, I was getting some serious eye strain (not from 3D, had it turned off) from trying to keep track of everything and the fast movement. Hoping to really invest some time over the weekend. I was really glad that I got through all the steps parts of the first few Runner stages on the first try after seeing how many attempts it took the Giant Bomb folks from there quick look when it was released on WiiWare.

emb

Ugh, I can't decide if I want to get this now or not. Seeing people having a hard time finding it already makes me think it won't be easy to come by...

But it's hard to go for a game at full price these days. Wii games made by Nintendo tend to not hold their price very long. Hmm. Choices.

OnPoint

emb said:
Ugh, I can't decide if I want to get this now or not. Seeing people having a hard time finding it already makes me think it won't be easy to come by...

But it's hard to go for a game at full price these days. Wii games made by Nintendo tend to not hold their price very long. Hmm. Choices.

I'd suggest picking up the Wii version if you find it. Gamestop only had one copy around here within 50 miles. I think I'm the only Bit.Trip fan in all of Buffalo so I lucked out.

emb said:

Did you mean not made by Nintendo?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Mega Man's Electric Sheep said:
Amazon.ca has Saga in stock finally! Oh joyus day......on september 30 when I'm supposedly getting it :p
Yeah, I got Sept 27th for copy of Complete.

About damn time!

abasm

I thought I'd be able to handle the framerate dip, but I can't. It's not that it's sub 30 FPS, but that it seems to randomly skip frames below that threshold. It doesn't affect timing if you pay attention to the music, but it is pretty disorienting. Thing is, I wouldn't mind if it didn't extend into 2D mode as well. Both RUNNER and FATE lag intermittently, as if in 3D mode.

I'm returning my copy and buying RUNNER (my favorite of the bunch) on Steam.

abasm said:
I thought I'd be able to handle the framerate dip, but I can't. It's not that it's sub 30 FPS, but that it seems to randomly skip frames below that threshold. It doesn't affect timing if you pay attention to the music, but it is pretty disorienting. Thing is, I wouldn't mind if it didn't extend into 2D mode as well. Both RUNNER and FATE lag intermittently, as if in 3D mode.

Yeah, Runner gets pretty bad at times. I haven't noticed it in Fate though.

I got the game a few days ago for 3DS and love it. It's my first time playing the game (except for Beat on iOS) and I love all of them. Core is my least favorite, but even it is pretty fun. Void has my favorite music, but it's far too unforgiving. It takes forever to "level up," and then just a few missed dots and you're kicked back down.

I don't regret getting the game at all (especially since it's apparently going to be somewhat rare) but it does make me wish I had a Wii. These games are great for a handheld and I'm going to get a ton of hours worth of play from it, but it sucks the developer didn't throw in the extra content, and the framerate issue really doesn't make any sense. There isn't even any AA, especially Runner has some really jaggy backgrounds (I'm not sure if the Wii version has this as well).

Great game though, and if the lack of 3D really shouldn't turn anyone off in my opinion. The games aren't really suited for it anyway (except Runner).

abasm

Yeah, everything about Saga smacks of "rushed to release". Complete seems to be where all the love is at. If they had given Saga more time, they probably could have evened out the framerate in both 2D and 3D and added extra features.

Izayoi

Banned
abasm said:

Which version is it that has the framerate problems?

Doorman

I did finally manage to track down Saga last weekend. I agonized a bit over which version to get--turns out Gamestop made it easy on me by only having one sealed copy of either game left anywhere near where I was, and that was Saga. With my first foray into Flux finally happening tonight, I've played at least a bit of each game now.

The framerate issues, unfortunately, are noticeable, even with the 3-D turned off as some people have said. The inconsistency is the most annoying part of it, but it's not so bad that it's completely unplayable or anything. Currently I have the 3-D off for Runner, as well as for Core (maybe it's just me, but it seems like the 3-D effect in Core makes it look as though the beats arrive to the hit-point later than they should, or something. It's possible I'm just trying to rush the tempo of the game. Using 3-D in the other games hasn't really been a problem gameplay-wise, but with that said the sensation of it isn't as dramatic as I perhaps expected it to be.

I actually like Core more than I thought I might, even though it does overwhelm me at times, but more than anything I'm surprised by how positive my initial impressions of Void are. Frankly, I don't see a need to even complain about the circle pad controls on Beat and Flux, because with the amount of speed and precision you need to succeed in those games, that kind of traditional control frankly wouldn't cut it anyway, as far as I can tell. I definitely, definitely like the touch-screen controls for those two games over the Wii remote tilt style, although those might be the only cases where that's an actual advantage. As I said I like Core, but I can't play it for long at all because trying to use the 3DS's D-pad that intensively really puts a hurting on my thumbs. This is the first game to really highlight to me how uncomfortable the 3DS actually is.

Most of my gripes so far feel pretty minor to me, so I'm still glad to have the game and I'll definitely like having this with me for travel (packed with headphones of course), but having this experience now I would probably recommend Complete over Saga, despite the benefit of touch-controls for the "pong-ish" games. The rest of the play experience would be that much more comfortable, which I think makes up for that.

I'm just totally disinterested in both. COMPLETE I have all the games on WiiWare (and my Wii is half-broken, so I'm not sure if I could run it anyway), and SAGA's only unique feature being 3D kills that for me.

If the games were roughly the same (obviously SAGA lacking the motion controls and COMPLETE lacking 3D), I'd go for SAGA. But as is, I want portability + the new features.

jgkspsx

I caved on COMPLETE. The soundtrack was worth ~$12 on its own, and I used some Amazon credit, so I thought the game was a fair value. Now that I've played it, I'm even more convinced.

The easy difficulty level is a godsend for the early games I always got stuck on (and hard will probably overwhelm even the most experienced). The challenges I've played have been pretty satisfying. And the bonus stuff is a cool addition. I'm really happy with the game.

SAGA doesn't feature the difficulty levels, right? That's a goddamn shame. I think I'll only pick it up if and when it hits $20.

My copy of SAGA has been held for inspection at the censorship authority since Monday, and I likely won't see it before next Monday, at best. Can't it get any more ridiculous?

jgkspsx said:
The easy difficulty level is a godsend for the early games I always got stuck on (and hard will probably overwhelm even the most experienced).

How does the difficulty setting work? Does it change the patterns/gameplay (i.e. slow/faster or less/more dots), or does it only change how many you can miss before before it's Game Over? I'm guessing it's the latter since it's easier to implement and doesn't mess up with the music.

jgkspsx

Naked Snake said:
How does the difficulty setting work? Does it change the patterns/gameplay (i.e. slow/faster or less/more dots), or does it only change how many you can miss before before it's Game Over? I'm guessing it's the latter since it's easier to implement and doesn't mess up with the music.
Correct. Didn't try it in Runner yet, not sure how that works.

Doorman

Runner, if I read the reviews correctly, removes the gold altogether in easy mode. So on one hand it's less to concern yourself with so you can just focus on beating the level, but I'm not sure if that locks you out of the retro challenges or not.

For the others, yes, it just means you have to miss more beats to mode-down, and it may be a bit easier to mode-up as well.

Shiggy

Naked Snake said:
My copy of SAGA has been held for inspection at the censorship authority since Monday, and I likely won't see it before next Monday, at best. Can't it get any more ridiculous?

For what reason exactly?

Shiggy said:
For what reason exactly?

It's routine procedure for all media entering the country, they get inspected to make sure they don't contain anything illegal (overtly sexual, anti-religion, political, etc.)... Usually my games get in and out in 1 day, and sometimes they don't even get inspected (seems random, like a luck-of-the-draw thing).

When a game like Bit.Trip gets delayed for a full week due to this it makes me extra mad. I mean a quick glance on the cover and it's obvious to see it's non-offensive.

Doorman

Naked Snake said:
It's routine procedure for all media entering the country, they get inspected to make sure they don't contain anything illegal (overtly sexual, anti-religion, political, etc.)... Usually my games get in and out in 1 day, and sometimes they don't even get inspected (seems random, like a luck-of-the-draw thing).

When a game like Bit.Trip gets delayed for a full week due to this it makes me extra mad. I mean a quick glance on the cover and it's obvious to see it's non-offensive.
I don't know...Commander Video could totally be misconstrued as an 8-bit phallus...

OnPoint

So after pushing through a few more of the challenges in BEAT, I skipped over to the challenges in RUNNER.

Man, they are so much easier. Regardless, it's a delightful way to add replay value.

Given the slowdown issue I can't believe people are even biting on SAGA when faced with a choice between it and COMPLETE.

sfog

Doorman said:
Runner, if I read the reviews correctly, removes the gold altogether in easy mode. So on one hand it's less to concern yourself with so you can just focus on beating the level, but I'm not sure if that locks you out of the retro challenges or not.

It does. The levels all just have a "0 of 0" of gold showing on Easy, and upon completion, it just goes right to the score tally, without the potential for the retro challenges.

Wolfe

OnPoint said:
Given the slowdown issue I can't believe people are even biting on SAGA when faced with a choice between it and COMPLETE.

Well I only have a 3DS, no Wii.

Also the slowdown issues are not as bad as all the complaints would have you believe imo, sure it's noticeably smoother in 2D but I'm enjoying the games in 3D just fine. Granted I would have liked it to be perfect but I already own the game and am enjoying the game.

jgkspsx

Doorman said:
For the others, yes, it just means you have to miss more beats to mode-down, and it may be a bit easier to mode-up as well.
Maybe I'm just much weaker than I used to be, but it actually seems harder to mode up beyond hyper.

NEO0MJ

OnPoint said:

I bought it before those issues were known, and I can't return games over here. And even if I knew about the 2D slowdown it wouldn't change my decision as no place over here brought complete.

Top Bottom